Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:32   #8041
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Have to watch out for the reflector darkening case though.
You will have to watch our for these things:

1) Deformation of the reflectors,

2) Load on the engine and battery (IMO)

3) On coming traffic hazard doubles due to blinding from to the 100/130 set up.

4) Night driving won't be good for the oncoming traffic.

Anurag
Old 3rd April 2014, 00:47   #8042
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Installed Osram 100/130 with philips relay on my swift. Night driving is more encouraging now. Very good visibility. Have to watch out for the reflector darkening case though.
Even I had a plan to upgrade my 100/90 Rally to 130/100 about a month back.But when I went to the Philips authorised dealer to buy, the dealer himself advised me against buying those.He told me that majority of the customers who have bought 130/100s have come back with blown bulbs within weeks of purchase. He was damn sure that the bulb will fail within 2 or 3 months of usage on a daily basis.He also told that 130 bulbs consume so much power that they put undue stress on the battery & alternator which is not good for the life of both. Also he pointed out that headlamp glass fading/darkening is more probable with 130/100s than 100/90s.He advised me to stick to the current 100/90s as it is the safest and reliable upgrade.

I don't know how correct/authentic his advice is, but since he deals with such power bulbs daily in hundreds, he has definitely more experience than me.So I thought there should be something in his advice and gave up the plan.
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:40   #8043
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post

Even I had a plan to upgrade my 100/90 Rally to 130/100 about a month back.But when I went to the Philips authorised dealer to buy, the dealer himself advised me against buying those.He told me that majority of the customers who have bought 130/100s have come back with blown bulbs within weeks of purchase. He was damn sure that the bulb will fail within 2 or 3 months of usage on a daily basis.He also told that 130 bulbs consume so much power that they put undue stress on the battery & alternator which is not good for the life of both. Also he pointed out that headlamp glass fading/darkening is more probable with 130/100s than 100/90s.He advised me to stick to the current 100/90s as it is the safest and reliable upgrade.

I don't know how correct/authentic his advice is
Check my post above.

I have mentioned the same that your authorised dealer told you.

100/130 setup is more of a gamble and harm than helping the driver in efficient night driving. The 100/130 will stress the headlight assembly + battery + alternator + more importantly oncoming traffic. So I find no use in installing this setup that has more disadvantages than advantages.
IMO, Best is to stick to 60/55W or worst case 100/90W setup.

And good that you dropped your upgrade plan, you saved money and a few curses when the 100/130 is used.

Anurag.
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:34   #8044
Senior - BHPian

Any 'driving light' that can be a perfect fit at the fog lamp (bumper) slot of the Fortuner? Looking for the long range (pencil beam) type, as a supplement to the headlights for high speed night driving. This is for a colleague who does not want to mess with the headlights or fit extra lights on a crash guard. Most lamps that we saw are the show-type fog lamps without much range.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 3rd April 2014 at 10:40.
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:56   #8045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Not sure whether this has been asked already. But is there any way I can install LED cabin lights in my i20. Mine is a 2011 Sportz model which has got only the centre cabin light unlike newer i20s which have centre cabin lights as well as front map lights. The centre ones are woefully inadequate and I feel that installing LEDs should brighten up things a bit. I am specifically looking for bulb nomenclature and some pointers to get them (either in Hyderabad or online).
If they are the Festoon bulbs, then you can buy an LED array with the same holder. I remember buying one pair off eBay for 200 rupees or so.

Original bulbs:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-586438festoonbulb12v10w.jpg

LED array that I bought (and installed in our Ritz and M800):
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-41as5qu9tl._sy300_.jpg

Go to any place in your city where they sell such lights and accessories, show them the bulb that's inside the cabin light, and ask for LED replacement.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:32   #8046
BHPian

I have changed the festoon type cabin lights of my New WagonR VXI ABS (2013) by Philips LED bulbs. But the problem is this when I blow horn every time, these cabin lights also glow slightly. When I noticed this problem I took my car to the MASS to sort it out but they are unable to do anything and one of the mechanics told me that some of the cars have this problem.

Can anyone enlighten me about this problem?
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:35   #8047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post

Could it be due to wiring or earthing issue? Or some kind if contact happening better wires.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 01:42   #8048
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know how correct/authentic his advice is, but since he deals with such power bulbs daily in hundreds, he has definitely more experience than me.So I thought there should be something in his advice and gave up the plan.
Go for the Osram Nightbreaker+ which is street legal, yet offering a much better intensity and a cooler beam than stock bulbs. I had a bad experience with the earlier Nightbreakers that failed me within a year, however Osram claims that the new ones (Nightbreaker+) have a much better life. I have been using them for the last 6 months without any issues. However, these are best used in conjunction with fog lamps since the visibility that they offer in the rains (or fog) is slightly poor.
Old 4th April 2014, 05:38   #8049
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post

Go for the Osram Nightbreaker+ which is street legal, yet offering a much better intensity and a cooler beam than stock bulbs. I had a bad experience with the earlier Nightbreakers that failed me within a year, however Osram claims that the new ones (Nightbreaker+) have a much better life. I have been using them for the last 6 months without any issues. However, these are best used in conjunction with fog lamps since the visibility that they offer in the rains (or fog) is slightly poor.
The Osram NB+ are also the same plight as the Osram NB. I had NB+on my Ritz and they failed within 4 months of installation.

Anurag.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:37   #8050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the festoon type cabin lights of my New WagonR VXI ABS (2013) by Philips LED bulbs. But the problem is this when I blow horn every time, these cabin lights also glow slightly. When I noticed this problem I took my car to the MASS to sort it out but they are unable to do anything and one of the mechanics told me that some of the cars have this problem.

These days, the lamp is made to dim and then turn off, and not just turn off abruptly. This involves some electronics that control the lamp, based on the door and presence of the key in the ignition slot. It does not shut off the current completely, for reasons I'm still trying to find out. Normal bulbs do not produce any light at such small currents, but LEDs being more energy efficient, start glowing albeit very dim.

If you turn off the cabin light completely (move the switch to the OFF position - extreme left), it won't glow at all. With the switch in the middle, the LEDs will have a very faint glow all the time. You can notice it very clearly in the dark.

Quote:
Go for the Osram Nightbreaker+ which is street legal, yet offering a much better intensity and a cooler beam than stock bulbs...However, these are best used in conjunction with fog lamps since the visibility that they offer in the rains (or fog) is slightly poor.
Cooler beam implies a higher colour temperature. Our eyes can respond best to 4000k or thereabouts. IMO 4300k is the best fit for Headlamp bulbs. One grouse I have against Osram bulbs - they are never at this level, but higher. It looks good on clear days, but come rain or fog, you don't get the same advantage.

Last edited by silversteed : 4th April 2014 at 09:52.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:43   #8051
BHPian

Quote:
I had used OSram NB+ for a while, but I was not much impressed with the light.But the bulb was durable and is very much alive even now.From my experience NB+ or Philips XV cannot come anywhere close to a proper 100/90 setup.But then ofcourse the latter is not street legal.

The problem is once you use a 100/90 or higher rating bulb, then no 60/55 bulb will satisfy you, no matter how much intensity they claim to provide.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:53   #8052

I am looking out for blueish parking lights (which are legal) for my white Fiat Punto. I bought the Philips Blue Vision w5w, but I am not getting the effect I wanted. Will Osram Cool blue a better option?
Old 4th April 2014, 12:14   #8053
BHPian

Quote:
Could be because the wiring for the Horn and the cabin lights might be coming from the same source. One easy way to find this out is. Take out you car manual and look at the fuses arrangement. Remove the fuse that feeds the horn and try turning on your cabin lights. If they do not glow then you know the root cause. If not, then somewhere, there must be a live contact between the horn wire and the cabin light wire.

Ofcourse, this procedure will identify the source of current to the cabin lights when the horn is pressed and will not eliminate it. One way of doing it might be to isolate the fuses incase of common fuse or to fix the current leak in case of a live contact.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 12:34   #8054
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if its is possible to source the Osram Rallye bulbs in India ?

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/produ...ctId=ZMP_85373

I am specifically looking for the H7 65W bulbs.
Old 4th April 2014, 13:13   #8055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read on the philips relay box that the relay kit came with ceramic holders, have to cross check. But did not buy holders seperately.

Have not checked the 90/100, but this is super duper to say.
Certainly for you, but please go and stand in front of your own car and see for yourself what all the others are experiencing because of you.

I hope you'll change the expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The Osram NB+ are also the same plight as the Osram NB. I had NB+on my Ritz and they failed within 4 months of installation.
Anurag.
I've seen this same comment from you earlier also. Just like SGIIT I am using NB+ from Aug' 2012 (H1 and H7) and they are working fine (Touchwood).

Quote:
I had used OSram NB+ for a while, but I was not much impressed with the light.But the bulb was durable and is very much alive even now.From my experience NB+ or Philips XV cannot come anywhere close to a proper 100/90 setup.But then ofcourse the latter is not street legal.

The problem is once you use a 100/90 or higher rating bulb, then no 60/55 bulb will satisfy you, no matter how much intensity they claim to provide.
Vinod, there may be many reasons for the NB+ not giving proper illumination, but if you decide to cross the legal limits then there is no end of it. Just as you said the NB+ is no comparision to the 100/90, the same 100/90 is nothing compared to a good projector setup with HID. Atleast the projector setup do not create any hazard for the oncoming traffic.

My only request to you is kindly understand the plight of the fellow travellers and be sensitive.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed