Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:54   #8461
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Any lights I can find in the US to buy for my 2012 Rapid?

Or a kit for that matter.
It is unlikely you will find anything for the 2012 Rapid in US. Universal kits are available. But Rapid specific models, especially for the Indian Rapid, I doubt.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:29   #8462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any lights I can find in the US to buy for my 2012 Rapid?

Or a kit for that matter.
I dont think Skoda is sold in USA(?). You could pick up Retrofit projector kits, though, and get them fitted here
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:06   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
There was no need to drill back covers. Now the problem is water will seep in to headlights and will ruin it. Fevicol is solvent in water. There was another way which may take 30 mins more by taking out light but more efficient
Many thanks 'mandyrana' for your inputs, regarding water seepage.
I do not want to take the headlights out of their original assembly. My car is still in warranty (only for two more weeks ). Then I am free to do anything.

However, as a first step, the wires were taken out from the bottom instead of top, to let in any water flow in.
Had completely missed the fact that Fevicol is water soluble (was taken away by the new fevicol add which had a boatman throwing every furniture in water to let her lady love & her pet goat on boat). Now as a precautionary measure from your suggestion I am sealing the entire drilled area with silicon gel that is used to seal the windsheilds while repalcements.

Thanks,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 2nd September 2014 at 12:26.
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:36   #8464
Senior - BHPian

Try these guys. They ship here.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:59   #8465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Both lamps have good spread, and the center is bright. However, as we go towards the edges, the Rallys give a more consistent spread. Hence the NB is Good for the city commuters IMO
I really appreciate yours efforts to differentiate between the Rally 130/100 and the NB+ but what I see from the pictures the two cars are parked at different spots. The distance of the SX4 from the wall seems more than the WagonR from the boundary wall. I hope you can understand this from the empty space visible in front of both the cars.

In such case it would be slightly improper comparision because if the WagonR is parked futher from the wall, the spread of the NB+ would be more and the height would be reduced.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:51   #8466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I really appreciate yours efforts to differentiate between the Rally 130/100 and the NB+ but what I see from the pictures the two cars are parked at different spots. The distance of the SX4 from the wall seems more than the WagonR from the boundary wall. I hope you can understand this from the empty space visible in front of both the cars.

In such case it would be slightly improper comparision because if the WagonR is parked futher from the wall, the spread of the NB+ would be more and the height would be reduced.

Will do. Was just trying out capturing the difference. BTW thats just 100/90 in SX4 and not 130/100. Even going by your logic, even if the WR was parked farther away from the wall, the light intensity would have lessened, forget spread. As we can see, the center spot is bright and the sides are very dim. Will park the car in the same place and shoot
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:26   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Watch out for the LHD / RHD issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
It is unlikely you will find anything for the 2012 Rapid in US. Universal kits are available. But Rapid specific models, especially for the Indian Rapid, I doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I dont think Skoda is sold in USA(?). You could pick up Retrofit projector kits, though, and get them fitted here
I meant the universal ones only.
Mind you guys that I am sailing and would be signing off from the US so the option of buying it online is ruled out.

Any shops around the houston area where I can shop?

I dont mind kits and even good bulbs as temporary measures.
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:42   #8468
BHPian

Quote:
I meant the universal ones only.
Mind you guys that I am sailing and would be signing off from the US so the option of buying it online is ruled out.

Any shops around the houston area where I can shop?

I dont mind kits and even good bulbs as temporary measures.
Been there done that. Once, got down on shore leave in Boston and took the train to NY to get a car audio component which was stocked only in a particular store there! (legally not supposed to travel out of Boston with the shore pass you get there )

Probably some one on the forum would help you. If you don't get answers here, best is to search for the item online and locate the store in Houston if you are going to get down there. I used to do that. Google and find stores near the ports I go to and contact them before arrival to be sure that they have the item in stock.

Just googled out of curiosity and found this - http://thehidfactory.com/product-cat...ts/projectors/
These guys are based in NW Houston. Check 'em out if you want HID projector kits.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 11:09   #8469
BHPian

Does anyone know where I can source a fuse box like this one in Bangalore?

Name:  flat fuse.png
Views: 1848
Size:  485.1 KB

I can find the actual fuse, but not a single fuse box like shown. I tried JC Road. This is of the auxiliary lights on the car. The fuse box has actually melted along with the fuse. So both need to be changed. The lights are 100W with complete wiring kit, relay,etc. Advise on how to prevent this from occurring again is appreciated.
Old 5th September 2014, 19:48   #8470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Does anyone know where I can source a fuse box like this one in Bangalore?

Attachment 1283060

I can find the actual fuse, but not a single fuse box like shown. I tried JC Road. This is of the auxiliary lights on the car. The fuse box has actually melted along with the fuse. So both need to be changed. The lights are 100W with complete wiring kit, relay,etc. Advise on how to prevent this from occurring again is appreciated.
I found these at a spare parts shop. The holder was decent but the fuse looked bad hence I got them separately from the same shop.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 10:23   #8471

Any advice on Fortuner light upgrade.
Old 8th September 2014, 22:49   #8472
Senior - BHPian

After reasoning a lot for my Grand i10's light being pathetic, I compared the bulb with my Wagon R. Wagon R has factory fitted Philips H4 60/55 W. Whereas Grand i10 uses cheaper Halonix H4 60/55W. I am searching for normal Philips H4 60/55W, but it seems most of online sites are running Xtreme Vision, Diamond Vision, etc.

Jalaram Car accessories in Vadodara told me that Hella bulbs are better, and I somehow do believe that.
Has anyone actually tried Hella bulbs ? XV, NB/NB+ do not last too which is what I read across the net.

Also, any Idea how to get H4 base dual filament HID bulbs ? I am seriously considering 4400K Hella H4 60/55W as the first step to upgrade. The OE light bulbs in my Grand i10 are worst I have ever come across. My Bajaj Caliber had better light and M800 with Halogens would suffice any modern car light requirement. Wagon R is nice, Innova is excellent, but I wonder how come Hyundai lights have become so weak. Xing lights are also very nice.
Old 9th September 2014, 00:08   #8473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Jalaram Car accessories in Vadodara told me that Hella bulbs are better, and I somehow do believe that.
Has anyone actually tried Hella bulbs ? XV, NB/NB+ do not last too which is what I read across the net.
I also heard the same about Hella and even BOSCH bulbs. However the reason that was given to me by a car accessories guy was that Phillips bulbs are now so common that it is almost impossible to differentiate between Originals and Chinese Fakes. I have personal experience that fakes can play havoc to not only your reflector, but also the entire electrical system of the car.

I would suggest that you look up Phillips India webpage and see which is the authorized dealer for your city.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:03   #8474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I found these at a spare parts shop. The holder was decent but the fuse looked bad hence I got them separately from the same shop.
Could you tell me which spare parts shop you got it from in Bangalore? Also, how many amps was the fuse?
When you say the fuse looks bad, do you mean the quality of plastic?

Any idea if increasing the amps on the fuse would prevent such an issue? Why is it getting so heated up in the first place? Did you also face the same issue?
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:23   #8475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Could you tell me which spare parts shop you got it from in Bangalore? Also, how many amps was the fuse?
When you say the fuse looks bad, do you mean the quality of plastic?

Any idea if increasing the amps on the fuse would prevent such an issue? Why is it getting so heated up in the first place? Did you also face the same issue?
I got it from a rather big spare parts shop near M M Industries, KR Road, BSK.

The fuse provided was of 30A rating. However the quality of plastic moulding as well as the metal on the contacts was looking dirty and corroded which pointed towards bad quality. Hence I threw the fuse provided with the holder and brought a separate fuse from the same shop which I used with the holder.

This was used in rewiring an old bike so I used lower rated fuses. Didn't use this for any lighting related purpose. It can get heated or melt due to multiple reasons. One is if the quality of plastic is bad. Two is if there is continuous arcing in the contacts which generates a lot of heat. Three is if the wires aren't meant to handle such high current. Hence, increasing the fuse rating has nothing to do with reducing heat. Rather its unsafe to overrate a fuse since the fuse is supposed to burn at the moment current draw crosses the normal limit. Hence, check out all the factors and then decide on the action plan.

If you can manage to get Bakelite or ceramic holders for the fuse, I guess they can stand more heat.

Else, use two holders with two separate fuses for left and right lamps. This will split the current and hence split the heat too.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks