Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 11:38   #8656
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Did anybody try the LED to replace the Halogen bulbs. I could see many listing in the ebay and Amazon for these LEDS. These bulbs are coming with projector also.

For Eg. http://www.ebay.in/itm/2x-80W-Cree-C...item4d283e4d84

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...2Ck%3A9006+LED

I am looking to upgrade my Civic headlights, specifically the low beam.
Old 5th December 2014, 11:58   #8657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The Fiesta Classic has H7 for Low beam and H1 for High beam, but you cannot get 100/90 for this setup because of the unavailability of ceramic holders. Best option would be to get the Osram NB+ which is costing about 4K+ for H1 & H7 bulb set. You can consider good set of HIDs too!
I have a Roots H1+H7 100W wiring kit + Relay with Ceramic Holders on my Palio since a year now. Although I'd recommend the Hella kit because it comes with thicker guage wires with similar ceramic holders for a slightly higher cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Did anybody try the LED to replace the Halogen bulbs. I could see many listing in the ebay and Amazon for these LEDS. These bulbs are coming with projector also.

For Eg. http://www.ebay.in/itm/2x-80W-Cree-C...item4d283e4d84

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...2Ck%3A9006+LED

I am looking to upgrade my Civic headlights, specifically the low beam.
Please don't bother with these. These LED bulbs will never work with reflectors designed for halogens.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 18:01   #8658
Senior - BHPian

My mechanic got the Philips Blue Vision 4300K HS1 bulb for my scooter (I had asked him for the Osram Silver star. I am referring to the 35 Watt bulb in both the cases.

Now, I have a choice to skip the Blue Vision and keep looking for a made in Germany Osram.
The MRP of the Philips is Rs. 299 (as far as I can remember).

How good is the Blue Vision?
Old 5th December 2014, 20:17   #8659
Distinguished - BHPian

I installed 90/100 relay kit in my Tucson. After a few hundred kilometers of driving, I started having intermittent problems. The right low beam sometimes does not work, after a few kms of driving and going over a pothole or bump, it starts working. As I was away on the trip, I could not do much, decided to drive back to Pune and check it. On the way back, the low beam (both right and left) worked well, but the left high beam stopped working (in the similar fashion, i.e. if I go over a pothole, it comes up, however, it's not consistent). I decided to observe for some time and now, low beam is working consistently OK, left high beam is not (no matter how many potholes I drive over).

I will take it to the shop where I got the kit installed, but I don't have much hopes from them.
Any clue as to what can be the problem?
Old 5th December 2014, 22:56   #8660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

I will take it to the shop where I got the kit installed, but I don't have much hopes from them.
Any clue as to what can be the problem?

Mostly loose connections. Do check them yourself since they are quite simple. If thats ruled out it can be a faulty relay. Sometimes these relays have manufacturing defects which show up within a short while of installation. When I first upgraded the bulbs, the Low beam used to either stay in ON position or wouldnt turn ON either. So I could make out it was a sticky relay. Changed the relay to a PMP relay since Bosch wasnt available. Three years down the line, they are still working fine.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 18:10   #8661
BHPian

i recently brought home my polar bear, the Pearl White Storme. I have a query regarding upgrading the H7 Low beam to HID instead of the regular halogen bulb.

1. Since Storme already has projecter lens, if I get some like this, would that be enough?

2. How easy or tough is it to install OR remove the entire kit as DIY? I am asking because this will ought to have warranty issues, so that i can remove it before giving for service. I am ready to take that pain every 15K Kms or once a year.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:22   #8662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
i recently brought home my polar bear, the Pearl White Storme. I have a query regarding upgrading the H7 Low beam to HID instead of the regular halogen bulb.

1. Since Storme already has projecter lens, if I get some like this, would that be enough?
I am no expert but I think you will need to ensure that the cut off is proper as the projectors in Storme are meant for Halogen bulbs and not HID.
Old 11th December 2014, 19:57   #8663
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a suitable upgrade for my Wagonr's headlights? One of them has gone bust and I was thinking of upgrading the pair as the OEM ones are now 13 years old and quite rubbish frankly.
I was thinking of going for those cheap hid kits on ebay http://www.ebay.in/itm/HID-Xenon-Kit...item4ad036edbe.
The thing is that I have a 2002 WagonR so it does not have a clear headlamp. What should I go for? These cheap hids or Philips/Osram upgrade?
Old 11th December 2014, 21:04   #8664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Can anyone suggest me a suitable upgrade for my Wagonr's headlights? These cheap hids or Philips/Osram upgrade?
My dad used cheap HID in his 2000/2001 WagonR and was not happy with it. I didn't really drive it, but I wasn't impressed either the few times I sat in at night.

Cheap HIDs may not have the output claimed, to start with, top that with optics designed for filament-type light sources and the light pattern will likely be unsatisfactory. HID is anyway not supposed to (legally) be used without projectors controlling the beam cut-offs. Since removing the HID, he was using Osram Nightbreakers. You may try 100/90W upgrade with relay and ceramic holder kit.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 02:26   #8665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
My dad used cheap HID in his 2000/2001 WagonR and was not happy with it. I didn't really drive it, but I wasn't impressed either the few times I sat in at night.

Cheap HIDs may not have the output claimed, to start with, top that with optics designed for filament-type light sources and the light pattern will likely be unsatisfactory. HID is anyway not supposed to (legally) be used without projectors controlling the beam cut-offs. Since removing the HID, he was using Osram Nightbreakers. You may try 100/90W upgrade with relay and ceramic holder kit.
Well I feel that HIDs may be quite iffy in the fog and lack of clear lens and projector will definitely be a concern so I will drop this idea.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/100-Original-...item5d4f765a9b
What do you think about these? I hope they are worth replacing the OEM ones. BTW, is there a chance of melting of my head lamp cover?
Old 12th December 2014, 10:38   #8666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I feel that HIDs may be quite iffy in the fog and lack of clear lens and projector will definitely be a concern so I will drop this idea.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/100-Original-...item5d4f765a9b
What do you think about these? I hope they are worth replacing the OEM ones. BTW, is there a chance of melting of my head lamp cover?
Using HIDs without projectors is a crime against fellow drivers. Please don't buy the HID Kit.

I'd suggest you buy the standard Hella 100/90W bulbs plus the 100W wiring kit with ceramic holders. That in itself will be good and cost 1100 together (850 for wiring kit + 250 for a pair of Hella 100/90 bulbs)
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 10:49   #8667
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I am no expert but I think you will need to ensure that the cut off is proper as the projectors in Storme are meant for Halogen bulbs and not HID.
The HIDs have a longitudinal (along the lamp) discharge zone while those in a halogen are transverse. The Corolla which has HID in the higher end has a different reflector patter, even though both use normal lamp housings.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 23:47   #8668
BHPian

Quote:
These won't melt your headlamp components, but skip this and buy an Osram Nightbreaker (plus or ultra) series bulb or its Philips equivalent, the Xtreme Vision or Xtreme Power. All of these have stock 60W rating so they are warranty-safe too. The Cool Blue is more show, less go. Any tint in the bulb glass will reduce the output since it acts as a filter. The result of blue tint means the light looks much whited, but there's less light put out. It's a trick of colour vs quantity.

EDIT :
Read more :
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

Last edited by Ricci : 13th December 2014 at 23:49.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 00:51   #8669
BANNED

Gentlemen, I'd like some help in upgrading the headlight bulbs on my Polo TSI. it is the facelift model, so it has the dual barrel headlight.
The options:
Osram NB Unlimited (Reviews state it isn't durable)
Philips Diamond Vision 950lm RS1350
Philips CrystalVision 1100lm RS.1200
Philips X-tremeVision 1650lm RS.650

The XV are the cheapest of the lot and have the highest lumen rating. Why are the other ones significantly more expensive, it is because of the pseudo HID look (Higher K)?

Should I choose the same bulb for both the low and high beam or should it be a different combination.
I do not care about the bling factor, and if the yellow ones perform better then I'd choose those in a heartbeat.
Would there be any use in upgrading the fog light bulb as well?
At this point in time I do not do any significant night driving, but I'd still like to be prepared with the best bulbs.
PS.As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Diamond Vision sure looks tempting.

Not interested in options that would void the warranty ie.100/110w

EDIT: Powerbulbs state the headlights being H7, I guess the pricing would be a bit different.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 17th December 2014 at 00:57.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:59   #8670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Gentlemen, I'd like some help in upgrading the headlight bulbs on my Polo TSI. it is the facelift model, so it has the dual barrel headlight.
The options:
Osram NB Unlimited (Reviews state it isn't durable)
Philips Diamond Vision 950lm RS1350
Philips CrystalVision 1100lm RS.1200
Philips X-tremeVision 1650lm RS.650

The XV are the cheapest of the lot and have the highest lumen rating. Why are the other ones significantly more expensive, it is because of the pseudo HID look (Higher K)?

Should I choose the same bulb for both the low and high beam or should it be a different combination.
I do not care about the bling factor, and if the yellow ones perform better then I'd choose those in a heartbeat.
Would there be any use in upgrading the fog light bulb as well?
At this point in time I do not do any significant night driving, but I'd still like to be prepared with the best bulbs.
PS.As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Diamond Vision sure looks tempting.

Not interested in options that would void the warranty ie.100/110w

EDIT: Powerbulbs state the headlights being H7, I guess the pricing would be a bit different.
I am also scouting for an answer to the same query. though, I have been quoted Rs 1200 per pair for XV. No bargaining etc. But do let me know if the Rs 650 you have mentioned is for a single bulb or a pair. Might help in bargaining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks