Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 13:25   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munishsurendra View Post
Can I replace my stock bulbs on my Maruti 800 -2004 with "Philips/Osram- 100/130w bulbs with Bakelite Holder", or should i just go for 90/100W with relay..?
Munish, if you are getting bulbs that exceed the rating specified in the owners manual, u definitely need a relay. For a M800, 90/100W is more than enough. Just get a relay and a set of bakelite holders and you're good to go.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:39   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think Jitendra has already put up his query there sometime back.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:50   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Munish, if you are getting bulbs that exceed the rating specified in the owners manual, u definitely need a relay. For a M800, 90/100W is more than enough. Just get a relay and a set of bakelite holders and you're good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
You ought to have a relay for 90/100 bulbs

Hey, thanx for the info guys..!
Old 25th September 2007, 17:21   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep go for 90/100W bulbs along with the relay n proper wiring, with philips rally vision bulbs. U can have these under 1,000 Rs.
Don't go for white bulbs - My personal choice.

Else get Hella 2000 or 3000 Foglamps ... they are pretty costly

guys i have a santro and i too fixed 90/100W with relay.. but i dont understand that my bulbs go off after the usage of almost 6 months..
can any body tell why is it so???
Old 25th September 2007, 18:08   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.throttle View Post
guys i have a santro and i too fixed 90/100W with relay.. but i dont understand that my bulbs go off after the usage of almost 6 months.. can any body tell why is it so???
Have your car inspected by a good electrician. There must be some loose ends or a short circuit somewhere. My Philips Rallye bulbs (100/130W) were good for over a year until the high beam filament on one bulb conked. Got it promptly replaced while the electricals were also duly inspected.

P.S. Beware of fake bulbs. They are all over and the packaging is also very similar. Only buy from reputed stockists.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:40   #876
Senior - BHPian

@kick.throttle: another common reason for bulbs conking out quickly is using both the high and low beams together. You do this when using the dipper while the low beam is on. When you pull the stalk, both beams are activated. This causes the bulbs to blow quicker.
You may not be doing this... just a potential reason that came to mind.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:12   #877
BHPian

will a 100/90 halogen damage the reflectors in m800?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:28   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
will a 100/90 halogen damage the reflectors in m800?
No, it wont. But make sure you get a relay installed.

I have been using this from the past 2 years and it has done no damage. Go for it!
Old 26th September 2007, 09:06   #879
BHPian

BTW, sorry for basic question.

What does it mean when we say 60/55W? what do these 2 figures mean?
Old 26th September 2007, 09:19   #880
BHPian

Hb3/9005 and hb4/9006

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Honda accord automatic. I am not happy with the lighting on my car. Accord comes with 2 separate bulbs. One for Low and one for High. The low beam is sylvania 9006 hb4 (55W) and the high beam is sylvania 9005 hb3 (60W). These are good for city, but pathetic on highways. I want to upgrade to either 90/100 or go for better quality bulbs. But i searched the entire JC road and other major shops in Bangalore. I also called the the philips dealer in bangalore. None of them have these HB3 and HB4 bulbs. I guess even Civic comes with the same bulbs. Can anyone suggest me where can i get these bulbs in Bangalore.

I found that Philips crystal vision bulbs (55/60W) are available on ebay. Some guy in Bombay has it. It is 1140 per pair. I am not sure if i must go for it. Will crystal vision improve the quality of light?? I have seen lot of people giving negative feedback about it. So i am worried. But this would be a very easy job. All i have to do is remove the old bulbs and put a new one.

100/80 W bulbs are not available in india i guess. I need to import it from UK or US. But again for this i need wiring harness and ceramic holders and relay. I need to cut the existing wiring. Is it worth all this ??

Please suggest.
Old 26th September 2007, 15:43   #881
Team-BHP Support

if you need the extra light then get the relays etc. and get 90/100w bulbs. they will make a huge difference.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:04   #882
Senior - BHPian

90/100 W makes a big difference

Hai,

Last friday we changed the stock Philips bulbs (60 W) to a Philips 90/100W in two cars. In a Scorpio and an Essteem. Our friend who is a car electrician (last 10 yeas practice) said you don't need a relay till 100 W, he says, you exeed 100 rthen relay is warranted. Both the cars have increased outputs; new Scorpio has a 20-30% improvement, the 3 year old esteem has a marginal improvement, the reflectors need replacement.

The accessaries guys said if we don't put the relay there are many dangers: 1) The bulb will conk out 2) Wiring might burn up 3) The contact points of the switch assembly will burn out 4) The reflecters will burn out. However, our electrician was so confidant, he said he has been doing this work for years and there has been no problem to run without a relay !!!! Moreover, stock bulbs or upgrades, the reflectors will loose their sheen in 3+ years.

We did a small research on the costs: Philips comes in two packings, bulbs are the same. Manufactured in Germany, marketed thro. Thaiwan & China. The yellow cover and while covers. Cost is 135 for one bulb. Wiring kit, local 200/-. If you buy the MKS relay (they sell the relay only) its 235 for the relay only, wiring harness is 200/- extra. The Mico relay costs 450/- wiring kit extra 200/-. Wiring kits are available from 200/- to 500/- in many qualities. I am sure these prices may vary across the nation, except for the philips bulbs.

I am waiting for some time to upgrade for my car to see how the bulbs in the Scorpio and Esteem are performing without the relay.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th September 2007 at 17:09.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:22   #883
Team-BHP Support

buy a relay. your friend is wrong.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:27   #884

Xenon Vs Halogen: A must read for those who wish to upgrade

Hi Friends,

It all started when I decided to upgrade my Alto's headlight possibly to something better. So I looked out here for suggestions and other reviews on the net.

At one point I was almost done with wasting my money on cheap imported Xenons on the advice so called experts in the after market who just want to sell of things. ( He promised to give me Sagitta xenon lamps imported from Taiwan for just Rs 1200 claiming it as a discount price.Installation procedure is simple. Just replace the bulbs.That is what he said. I was almost done by his blah blah, decided to buy it and waited for the technicla guy to do the installation. At that time, my wife called and I had to urgently leave . So I said excuse and left the place. )

To verify the marketing guy's claims,I went through this thread carfully and after reading most of your reviews and suggestions I did some research on the net .

The result is, Thank god I escaped somehow from wasting my money.
The following is the conclusion that I reached .

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the points:

1) Xenon headlamps are technically known as Xenon HID light.
HID stands for High Intensity Discharge, and refers to the technology involved. Instead of a glowing filament, the light is generated by a spark which jumps across a gap constantly - just like a constant arc of mini-lightning.

2) Xenon's produce more , but not better light we expect on practical driving environments.
The colour of the Xenon lights are a lot closer to that of daylight. This is noy necessarily a good thing: At night, your eyes adapt to the warmer tones of the motorway lighting and other drivers, and the daylight-colour of Xenon lights might be problematic, as the eyes may not be able to register colour information correctly. In addition, light from Xenon lights is of very specific colours, rather than a continuous string of all colours of the rainbow

3) Xenon's cannot be proper upgrade for a halogen lamp assembly. The main difference is that Halogen bulbs use reflectors to aim the beam, but most HID-headlamps use lenses. Replacing a halogen bulb with a HID-bulb and assembly will frequently be illegal, and will cause safety to decrease, both for yourself and for the other road users
If you upgrade, 99% of teh time you are lost, because as experts suggest it is something to be done with lot of homework and expertise which you can never get in the aftermarket.

4) You cannot replace a halogen bulb with a Xenon bulb.Cheap Xenon look alikes in the aftermarket are just gimmics.
A full Xenon lighting system consists of
the following components:
1 Xenon light source
2 Ballast
3 Igniter
4 Reflector
5 Lens
There are a few packages out there that replace the entire headlamp assembly (i.e the front glass, filters, lenses etc) with a HID unit. These are of varying quality, but could only in theory work correctly.

5) So, is it logical, should you choose Xenon headlamps?

Advantages
Xenon lights give a higher light output than their halogen equivalents, it allows car designers more freedom in designing unique-looking cars which still fulfill the needs for strong light.
It improves the look of the car when upgraded in the aftermarket.

Disadvantages
In theory, Xenon is a good idea. In practice, more light doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of your night-vision is any better. In fact, it may be worse: The fact that the light is so bright could make your eyes adjust to the brightness. This means that you can see perfectly right in front of your car, but especially on wet roads, the glare may be tiring and problematic. In practice, despite the light being brighter, you may not be able to see further in front of you at night.

Please refer this site for more information about HID's.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply.
http://www.mvlc.info/pdf/MVLCbrochure.pdf.

Those of you really want to know why Relays's are important during upgrading to a higher wattage, this link is informative.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

So I have decided to upgrade to PHILIPS,OSRAM or BOSH Halogens. Haven't yet decided, whether to go with the same wattage better bulbs or higher wattage and bulbs. My alto is the model without clear lens lamp. So those of you guys who had done similar upgrade can help me.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:47   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@kick.throttle: another common reason for bulbs conking out quickly is using both the high and low beams together. You do this when using the dipper while the low beam is on. When you pull the stalk, both beams are activated. This causes the bulbs to blow quicker.
You may not be doing this... just a potential reason that came to mind.

hay friend thanks for that....
i do use High beam with low beam and that may be makes the bulb go off... right now i have fixed the stock headlighs as i was tired opf chaning the bulbs.. not that i got the reaason, i better fix the 100/130 as i already have the realy. and will follow the instructions by you team-bhp fellow mates...

thanks to one all for replying...

Most Viewed