Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 13:26   #9331
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello folks,

This question has probably been asked before, but after pouring through pages and pages unsuccessfully, i decided to try my luck by asking again.

I have 2014 Polo. I am contemplating changing both the high beam as well as the low beam to Osram 90/100's. Also looking at replacing the stock fog lamp bulbs with the same. Why ? Because i live in a very deserted location and i need the bright lights to illuminate the roads as well as to be use as a deterrent to misfits who have been stopping vehicles in and around the area.

Now my concerns with this is :

> By installing both high & low beam will the battery be under excess strain ?
> Will it damage the housing over time ?
> What about heat generation and its impact ?
> Will i need to buy the relay and holder separately ( with what i've been reading, i should use Hella Relay's and ceramic holders)
> Am i risking my warranty ?

There are lots of you who are experts in this area and i am hoping to learn something positive from you guys !

Thanks much !
Old 29th October 2015, 15:14   #9332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post
Now my concerns with this is :

> By installing both high & low beam will the battery be under excess strain ?
> Will it damage the housing over time ?
> What about heat generation and its impact ?
> Will i need to buy the relay and holder separately ( with what i've been reading, i should use Hella Relay's and ceramic holders)
> Am i risking my warranty ?
1) Yes, higher wattage bulb itself is straining the battery but should be a problem if you are not using it for long duration everyday.

2) Depends (mixed review). I have heard it damaging the housing in Getz. The plastic coating inside the assembly tends to peel off after few years and then darken the lamps.

3) A lot of heat will be produced. As mentioned in point 1, if it's not used for long duration then it's safe.

4) Yes, you will need to buy branded wiring, ceramic holders and relays.

5) Although there is not slicing of stock wiring, few manufacturers do not entertain this. But should be fine as you are not tampering with the stock bulbs.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:21   #9333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1) Yes, higher wattage bulb itself is straining the battery but should be a problem if you are not using it for long duration everyday.

2) Depends (mixed review). I have heard it damaging the housing in Getz. The plastic coating inside the assembly tends to peel off after few years and then darken the lamps.

3) A lot of heat will be produced. As mentioned in point 1, if it's not used for long duration then it's safe.

4) Yes, you will need to buy branded wiring, ceramic holders and relays.

5) Although there is not slicing of stock wiring, few manufacturers do not entertain this. But should be fine as you are not tampering with the stock bulbs.
Thank you Naveen. I foresee approximately 90mins of usage a day. Does that quantify as long duration ? If i am open to other lighting solutions, what are my options. I have considered Hella fog lamps, HID KIt or an LED Bar as well.

Where does one pick up branded wiring, ceramic holders and relays ? And are they car/model specific ?

Also in order not to get my warranty voided, will i have to swap with stock lights at the time of servicing or any workshop visit ?

Thanks again.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:31   #9334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Naveen. I foresee approximately 90mins of usage a day. Does that quantify as long duration ? If i am open to other lighting solutions, what are my options. I have considered Hella fog lamps, HID KIt or an LED Bar as well.

Where does one pick up branded wiring, ceramic holders and relays ? And are they car/model specific ?

Also in order not to get my warranty voided, will i have to swap with stock lights at the time of servicing or any workshop visit ?

Thanks again.
90 mins should be fine. The other option would be to go with Philips/Osram/Hella halogen bulbs of the same wattage. A small improvement can be expected, say around 20-30%. This is the safest bet as you just need to swap the bulbs. HIDs on normal reflectors are not recommended. Expensive and a lot of light will be scattered. Auxiliary lamps are another option. But it's expensive. LED bars are good but can attract cops as it's not advisable to use in the city.

Wiring kit should be purchased extra. Make sure you go with branded ones. Some shops will try to push the local stuff which is not safe. These are of low quality. These wont withstand high heat and will eventually burn/melt.

You dont have to swap each time. That's tedious. From my experience (3 car manufacturers), it will be safe as long as the stock wires are safe.

Here's what I recommend:

Try to upgrade to Philips/Osram (55/60w), see how it performs. If you are not satisfied, then upgrade to 90/100w. Just go to a known shop so that you can exchange the upgraded bulbs to 90/100w . That's what I did.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:54   #9335
BHPian

Quote:
90 mins should be fine. The other option would be to go with Philips/Osram/Hella halogen bulbs of the same wattage. A small improvement can be expected, say around 20-30%. This is the safest bet as you just need to swap the bulbs. HIDs on normal reflectors are not recommended. Expensive and a lot of light will be scattered. Auxiliary lamps are another option. But it's expensive. LED bars are good but can attract cops as it's not advisable to use in the city.

Wiring kit should be purchased extra. Make sure you go with branded ones. Some shops will try to push the local stuff which is not safe. These are of low quality. These wont withstand high heat and will eventually burn/melt.

You dont have to swap each time. That's tedious. From my experience (3 car manufacturers), it will be safe as long as the stock wires are safe.

Here's what I recommend:

Try to upgrade to Philips/Osram (55/60w), see how it performs. If you are not satisfied, then upgrade to 90/100w. Just go to a known shop so that you can exchange the upgraded bulbs to 90/100w . That's what I did.
Thanks Naveen ! Things are a lot clearer now I will do as you say, will try out the 55/60w first , although i am pretty sure i will need to upgrade to 90/100w as i have seen the performance of the latter.

All bulbs ( Low, High , Fog) will be 90/100w, or are they of different wattage ? How does the white light perform in Foggy, rainy conditions ?
Old 29th October 2015, 16:47   #9336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen ! Things are a lot clearer now I will do as you say, will try out the 55/60w first , although i am pretty sure i will need to upgrade to 90/100w as i have seen the performance of the latter.

All bulbs ( Low, High , Fog) will be 90/100w, or are they of different wattage ? How does the white light perform in Foggy, rainy conditions ?
White light is not good in rains. Go for 4300k-5000k bulbs. That should be good. Low beam will be 90w and high beam 100w. For the fog, stick with the stock wattage. Do not over load the fogs. There's a limit for fog light visibility.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 17:03   #9337
BHPian

Quote:
White light is not good in rains. Go for 4300k-5000k bulbs. That should be good. Low beam will be 90w and high beam 100w. For the fog, stick with the stock wattage. Do not over load the fogs. There's a limit for fog light visibility.
Ok will not change wattage for the fog, makes sense.Am really new to this, need some explanation, if you have the time... If i buy for eg: Osram 90/100w - This means there are a pair of bulbs in this - one 90w, the second 100w meant for low beam and high beam respectively ? So i need to buy 2 pairs ( 4 bulbs) for both headlights ? Also, 90/100w , as you suggested comes in different ranges ? i.e, 4300k - 5000k ?
Old 29th October 2015, 19:04   #9338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hello everyone. Two years back I upgraded the lights to a projector+hid setup (manufacturer xenon) from Two brothers lajpat nagar, New Delhi. They worked perfectly fine for a month or two. After that, they started going off whenever I hit a pothole or there's sudden vibration in the car. They work fine after they are restarted. I have tried consulting some electricians but never got convincing answers. I am very fed up with this issue. It's very difficult for me to travel long distances at night. What could be the issue? Please help.
Guys, please help me out. Is it an issue with the ballast???
Old 30th October 2015, 06:34   #9339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok will not change wattage for the fog, makes sense.Am really new to this, need some explanation, if you have the time... If i buy for eg: Osram 90/100w - This means there are a pair of bulbs in this - one 90w, the second 100w meant for low beam and high beam respectively ? So i need to buy 2 pairs ( 4 bulbs) for both headlights ? Also, 90/100w , as you suggested comes in different ranges ? i.e, 4300k - 5000k ?
Does your polo have a double barrel setup, meaning two separate light for low and high? If so, you will need to buy 2 pairs. If it's a single unit, you will need only a single pair of 90/100w. The low and high will be in one single bulb, usually H4 (bulb configuration/size). Usually halogens will be in the 4300k-5000k color temperature range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Guys, please help me out. Is it an issue with the ballast???
Yes, this could be the ballast. My friend had a similar issue. He tested with a new set of ballast and it worked fine.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 09:23   #9340
BANNED

According to the chap who supplied me with the HIDs for my Civic fogs, 95% failures can be attributed to the Ballasts. Even though I got the Hylutek one had to be replaced after four months.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:17   #9341
BHPian

I want to buy the new ones... Is there a specific rating or something? Mine are 35w. Which ones are the best?
Old 30th October 2015, 10:49   #9342
BHPian

Attachment 1433047
Quote:
Does your polo have a double barrel setup, meaning two separate light for low and high? If so, you will need to buy 2 pairs. If it's a single unit, you will need only a single pair of 90/100w. The low and high will be in one single bulb, usually H4 (bulb configuration/size). Usually halogens will be in the 4300k-5000k color temperature range.

Yes, this could be the ballast. My friend had a similar issue. He tested with a new set of ballast and it worked fine.
By the looks of it i think it is a double barrel set up, i am attaching a pic for reference, in case i am wrong, do tell me. Ok so i've pretty much understood the basics, thanks a tonne naveen for your time - you have been a huge help !
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_0825.jpg  

Old 30th October 2015, 13:34   #9343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1433047

By the looks of it i think it is a double barrel set up, i am attaching a pic for reference, in case i am wrong, do tell me. Ok so i've pretty much understood the basics, thanks a tonne naveen for your time - you have been a huge help !
That's a double barrel setup, meaning you will need two pairs. Just check with the local accessories shop and they will help you out.

Anytime mate.
Old 30th October 2015, 13:37   #9344
BHPian

Quote:
That's a double barrel setup, meaning you will need two pairs. Just check with the local accessories shop and they will help you out.

Anytime mate.
Awesome, will do. Will post pics of the Mod once complete. Thanks again !
Old 30th October 2015, 13:51   #9345
BHPian

Hi People,

I have been having trouble with my Ford Ecosport Headlamps and My XUV5OO low beams for some time.

On Ecosport : H4

I tried upgrading mine to XtremeVision and due to my night drives and regular rains here in Kerela, I have upgraded mine to a Philips Rally H4 with Relay Wire and Harness - and have been quite successful with the venture.

On the XUV5OO : H7 Low Beam (Projector)

I did not risk any normal bulb upgrades like higher Kelvin bulbs or brighter bulbs as I was not sure of its effectiveness and many bhp-ians suggested HID's for the same.
I have been hearing a lot about a company called P8 for the same, and on my recent visit to an accessory/tyre maintenance shop in Cochin. (Global Tyres) I saw the same there.

According to the sales person this is an Indian Made bulb, and is comparatively superior in terms of performance compared to its peers in the price range.

He gave me a price range of Rs. 9,500/- including the ballast and associated wiring excluding labor.

Please help in understanding the below :
1. How good is the bulb mentioned here.
2. What are the best alternatives
3. How white is this light, what is the temp
4. My Major concern are Drive in the Rain, High Range Drives + Traffic - will this suffice.

My earlier post in the thread went without any response, any help would be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed