Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2017, 19:35   #10366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Is anyone using Philips HB3 bulbs ? Feedback please !
Old 20th March 2017, 00:30   #10367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is anyone using Philips HB3 bulbs ? Feedback please !

Which variant of Philips bulbs are you looking at ??? Extreme Vision ??? Crystal Vision, White Vision, Diamond Vision etc. ???

My car uses HB3 bulbs and I have tried them all, so let me know which one you want information on and I'll provide them for you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 20th March 2017, 00:35   #10368
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Thanks for the information. But one of the car accessories shop guy says that 90/100 set up will be just marginally better than the osram NB that I have.

Is it true?
Spread of light would be similar to what you are having currently but it is the intensity that increases with the 100/90W setup.

Output is brighter so it increases the viewing of the road ahead better than 60/55W.
Old 20th March 2017, 07:38   #10369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Which variant of Philips bulbs are you looking at ??? Extreme Vision ??? Crystal Vision, White Vision, Diamond Vision etc. ???
Thanks, Doc !

1) Regular HB3
vs
2) Philips Xtreme Vision
vs
3) Osram NB Unlimited

Will be used in projectors. Currently have regular Osram's.
Old 21st March 2017, 14:58   #10370
BHPian

Saw several discussions on Duster lights. Never use high watt bulbs, it can melt and have seen one set in 30mins of driving after the installation.

LEDs in stock reflectors is a big NO NO. It certainly blinds the oncoming traffic, (very high spillage even with a properly aligned low beam lights) no doubt about that. Its worse than HIDs. Watch the following video in which the light spill is tested using a lux meter, its more intense and even bad compared to HIDs. Also there is not much difference in the light spillage b/n low beam and high beam unlike other bulbs.

Melted Reflectors on using higher watt bulbs:
=============================

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st March 2017 at 15:17.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:24   #10371
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Doc !

1) Regular HB3
vs
2) Philips Xtreme Vision
vs
3) Osram NB Unlimited

Will be used in projectors. Currently have regular Osram's.

I have a 2015 Fluidic Verna with projector headlights and in the quest for better visibility and performance during my night drives, I have tested 2 of the above that you have mentioned.

My car currently uses Sylvannia HB3 9005 bulbs which is absolutely brilliant for a halogen setup.

Philips Xtreme Vision: slightly whiter than stock halogens, decent throw, signs are illuminated nicely, intensity is not that great, rain performance is good, low beam is good, but high beam left me wanting more.

Osram Nightbreaker: also whiter than stock halogens, good throw, good in low beam and brilliant high beam. Roads signs illuminated nicely, high beam flash is intense, good in the rains too, bulbs are a little expensive and reviews say life of bulb is not that great. I keep them as a spare in the glovebox

Philips Crystal Vision: 4300k white light, looks like HID when viewed headon, apart from the road signs being illuminated nicely, the low beam barely has an throw, high beam makes no difference and driving in the rains is a challenge. These are purely for bling.

Philips Diamond Vision: 5000k white, HID look. Being white the road signs light up nicely and the high beam flash is intense. Both low and high beam performance is lacking, OK for city, purely NO for highways. You are literally blind in the rain.

The problem with Crystal & Diamond Vision bulbs is that they look good but they lack intensity which is absolutely useless on highway drives. These bulbs would be ok if you have separate bulbs for high beam and you use them only for flashing on the highways.

If it has to be one from the above, I would say Osram Nighbreaker or Sylvannia if you can get those.

Regards

drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 21:20   #10372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
My car currently uses Sylvannia HB3 9005 bulbs which is absolutely brilliant for a halogen setup.
thanks, Doc ! That was quite comprehensive.

Regarding the Sylvania's: is it the standard one, or Silverstar / Xtravision / other variants ?
Old 21st March 2017, 23:20   #10373
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the Sylvania's: is it the standard one, or Silverstar / Xtravision / other variants ?

Hi condor,
The thing is I changed my halogen headlamp unit with an OEM Hyundai Projector unit which I purchased from South Korea, this unit came bundled with 2 HB3 9005 bulbs of Sylvannia make. They are regular sylvannias.

I think now Sylvannia is marketed by Osram IIRC, I'm not quite sure though, but I must say absolutely brilliant set of bulbs.

Regards

drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:14   #10374
BHPian

Looking to upgrade the headlights for my 2010 Fiesta. It's currently in stock form. The low beam is sufficient for the city, but the high beam is inadequate for the highways. Any suggestions?
Old 26th March 2017, 12:33   #10375
BHPian

Brief introduction: I have a Safari DiCor with Osram NB 55/60W as my headlights and the standard 50 W pair of fog lamps. The fog lamps have been a lot of help in highways to see what is just before me. Even in dimly lit state highways, city roads, they are very useful to identify hazards on the road.

But I always felt the need for better illumination as I grow older. I just bought a 126 W CREE LED lightbar online. It is almost 24 inch wide. I have a problem - How do I fit that without using a nudge guard ? The unit is heavy - about 1.8 kilogram.
If I fit that using some jugaad before the radiator, will it affect the cooling of the AC ?

I bought the unit as there was an offer and I could buy it for around 7k. I would be grateful for any pointers.
Old 26th March 2017, 15:30   #10376
BHPian

Quote:

If you are looking for drastic improvement in your lighting, I suggest you go HIDs.

My car is currently running 4300k 35W HID's (9005 type) and they are spooky bright and it would be hard for anything to outshine them. The high beam is used only for flashing, low beam does the job for everything else beautifully.

The fogs are default H27 881 type yellow bulbs.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1490522399.726909.jpg

drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 17:34   #10377
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, HID's will make a difference. However, replacement dust caps are not available and I dont want to cut the current dustcaps. ( Need to cut them in order to complete the connections).
Old 27th March 2017, 18:44   #10378
BHPian

Apologies if this has been asked before. Those who have bought stuff from powerbulbs, how do we make sure that the headlight is RHD oriented?
Old 28th March 2017, 01:22   #10379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before. Those who have bought stuff from powerbulbs, how do we make sure that the headlight is RHD oriented?
If you're referring to bulbs, it wouldn't be required since our stock headlight units are already RHD oriented and replacing the stock bulb with something like Philips X-Treme Vision wont be an issue. It is in case of projectors, you need to ensure that you get the RHD projectors since the cutoff would differ compared to LHD.

Last edited by k.sumit : 28th March 2017 at 01:25.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 02:24   #10380
BHPian

OK guys, I've been silently going through this thread and am more than a bit amused at some of the observations here. Like in most lighting threads in most online forums I've visited. And there is one subject about which I have encountered the same confusion and wish to shed some light here too once and for all so that it's not making anyone waste any more money because of it. Well, it's about the myth about the Nightbreaker/Philips XYZ-Vision type of bulbs.

OK, here's the deal. These seemingly holy-grail model bulbs are, first of all, NOT MEANT TO BE USED IF YOU WANT TO INCREASE THE INTENSITY IN YOUR CURRENT SETUP USING THE SAME WATTAGES OF BULBS. THEY ARE MEANT TO BE USED IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE BRIGHTNESS BUT WANT A LONGER AND/OR WIDER THROW TO YOUR CURRENT HEADLIGHT BEAM!
Which one may consider to be safer or better than stock. That's not all. Other than this, one more important reason to the higher cost is that these lamps are made of better, more rigid, more higher quality than normal materials so that they give out a whiter-than-normal tone(which most think is super brightness,which it is not) and they don't conk off as easily as your normal poor-mans' bulb. In the bargain they may end up being about 10% brighter than normal. That's all.

In order to really enjoy your Breaker/Vision bulb you gotta upgrade to one step higher wattage along with ceramic holder and adequate relay setup to see the real deal. For example most stock lamps are 60/55 so you'd be sorted by using 100/90 in such a case. If you ask me, a set of original Phillips Rallye 100W/90W lamps paired with a good relay setup of your choice is pretty awesome. 100/90 Breakers/ Vision will also do. Be sure they're genuine though. Anything brighter is pretty much overkill but that's a matter of choice.

Projectors are only good mostly if they're the ones which come with the car (the Verna's are an exception,they're pretty underwhelming) or if they cost a bomb. Good lighting doesn't come cheap. Ditto for ICE.

Hope this helps.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks