Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 21:01   #10606
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
Please try Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs. They might suit your requirement.
Thank you for the suggestion. I read some reviews on Amazon.in and the output is only 15-20% over stock and the visibility in rain is really bad it seems. Are you using this on any vehicle? Could you please comment on the output?
Old 1st August 2017, 21:05   #10607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I read some reviews on Amazon.in and the output is only 15-20% over stock and the visibility in rain is really bad it seems. Are you using this on any vehicle? Could you please comment on the output?
No comments on the Amazon reviews. You can probably look out for reviews on other sites. I've personally experienced the difference after upgrading to these bulbs. I would prefer to stick to laser if I'm sticking with halogens.
samkat1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:36   #10608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
No comments on the Amazon reviews. You can probably look out for reviews on other sites. I've personally experienced the difference after upgrading to these bulbs. I would prefer to stick to laser if I'm sticking with halogens.
Thank you! I have ordered from Powe bulbs for 1500 INR. Should be reaching me by next week. I will test and post a review on the output.
atulsian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:04   #10609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Thank you! I have ordered from Powe bulbs for 1500 INR. Should be reaching me by next week. I will test and post a review on the output.
Please post a pre and post photograph
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:43   #10610
BHPian

Need some advice from fellow experts here.

I plan to purchase the Nexon around the festive season this year. I like the car overall however my only gripe are the headlights. Although they are projector units, but they are simple halogen projectors.

So the first upgrade that I have in my mind is for the headlights. I have some options that I am considering :

Option 1 : Replace Halogen Projectors with HID/LED Projectors and leave the halogen reflectors as is. (Can I fit in LED/HID projectors in the Halogen projectors or will have to replace the complete setup? Noob question I know )

Option 2 : Leave the Halogen Projectors as is and install Philips Ultinon LEDs in the reflectors

Option 3 : Change both the projectors and reflectors to LEDs (This would be an overkill I know )

Option 4 : Install Bi-Xenon projectors in fogs and leave the headlights as is, but I am quite skeptical going ahead with XP Projectors after reading about the shoddy installation job and bad support being offered by them.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:52   #10611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Need some advice from fellow experts here.

I plan to purchase the Nexon around the festive season this year. I like the car overall however my only gripe are the headlights. Although they are projector units, but they are simple halogen projectors.

So the first upgrade that I have in my mind is for the headlights. I have some options that I am considering :

Option 1 : Replace Halogen Projectors with HID/LED Projectors and leave the halogen reflectors as is. (Can I fit in LED/HID projectors in the Halogen projectors or will have to replace the complete setup? Noob question I know )

Option 2 : Leave the Halogen Projectors as is and install Philips Ultinon LEDs in the reflectors

Option 3 : Change both the projectors and reflectors to LEDs (This would be an overkill I know )

Option 4 : Install Bi-Xenon projectors in fogs and leave the headlights as is, but I am quite skeptical going ahead with XP Projectors after reading about the shoddy installation job and bad support being offered by them.
Changing the existing halogen projectors to LED or HID projectors will involve opening up the headlights and if the workmanship is not good, you will end up with more reliability issues that will override the advantages of better lighting.

Changing the fogs to projectors also has the same downside of questionable projector quality and workmanship.

My suggestion would be to keep the halogen projectors as it is and just upgrade the halogen bulbs to better quality ones. That is the most reliable solution with peace of mind.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:53   #10612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Changing the existing halogen projectors to LED or HID projectors will involve opening up the headlights and if the workmanship is not good, you will end up with more reliability issues that will override the advantages of better lighting.

Changing the fogs to projectors also has the same downside of questionable projector quality and workmanship.

My suggestion would be to keep the halogen projectors as it is and just upgrade the halogen bulbs to better quality ones. That is the most reliable solution with peace of mind.
So you would say replacing the halogen bulbs with Philips Ultinon LEDs or something like better halogen bulbs, say Nightbreakers/Extreme Vision.
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:00   #10613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So you would say replacing the halogen bulbs with Philips Ultinon LEDs or something like better halogen bulbs, say Nightbreakers/Extreme Vision.
Yes. The best would be to upgrade the halogens to Nightbreakers or Extreme Vision.

I would not even recommend LEDs in the halogens. As far as I know, LEDs may not exactly fit the light base with the rubber seal and may result in loss of sealing on the back. As the projectors would be designed for the hot spot of a halogen bulb, replacing the halogen bulb with an LED in the halogen projector may result in a scattered beam which may not be very useful to the driver, but may glare the oncoming traffic.
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:15   #10614
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. The best would be to upgrade the halogens to Nightbreakers or Extreme Vision.

I would not even recommend LEDs in the halogens. As far as I know, LEDs may not exactly fit the light base with the rubber seal and may result in loss of sealing on the back. As the projectors would be designed for the hot spot of a halogen bulb, replacing the halogen bulb with an LED in the halogen projector may result in a scattered beam which may not be very useful to the driver, but may glare the oncoming traffic.
I meant replacing the halogen bulbs in the high beam reflectors to LEDs. As far as I know, Philips Ultinons are designed to replace normal halogen bulbs in halogen reflectors, or am I wrong about that???

EDIT : I went through the Philips website and they have also launched Extreme Ultinons for projectors (H7) , while also having Extremen Ultinons for halogen reflectors (H4) .

Anyone have any experience with the bulbs??

Last edited by akhil994 : 3rd August 2017 at 12:23.
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:26   #10615
BHPian

Quote:

In some cases rubber seal needs to be cut for installation of LED. In my case after fixing the bulb, I sealed the cut with silicone sealant.
Also the modern LED bulbs are far better, those with CREE or CSP chips are made with the design of halogen bulbs and headlight assembly in mind and they are good at their job. You need to choose your bulb wisely.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:07   #10616
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
In some cases rubber seal needs to be cut for installation of LED. In my case after fixing the bulb, I sealed the cut with silicone sealant.
Also the modern LED bulbs are far better, those with CREE or CSP chips are made with the design of halogen bulbs and headlight assembly in mind and they are good at their job. You need to choose your bulb wisely.
Sorry for multiple posts, but just went through this review :

http://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12...eview-s/62.htm

The review praises the bulbs a lot, seems to be a good fit for the purpose, it has a heat sink and control module included in the package too.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:16   #10617
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12...eview-s/62.htm

The review praises the bulbs a lot, seems to be a good fit for the purpose, it has a heat sink and control module included in the package too.
Philips should be good. Also, all LEDs bulbs include the heatsink and the driver module.
If you are adventurous, check Aliexpress. If you go through reviews carefully, you may be able to source a good one at 1/4th cost of Philips. However, reliability is unknown.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:20   #10618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Philips should be good. Also, all LEDs bulbs include the heatsink and the driver module.
If you are adventurous, check Aliexpress. If you go through reviews carefully, you may be able to source a good one at 1/4th cost of Philips. However, reliability is unknown.
I wouldn't want to take that risk in a new car though so Philips should be fine. That would be the first stage of upgrade.

Will change the halogen low beam projectors later with the Philips H7 LEDs once reviews of those start coming in. Trying to find a review for them but cannot, maybe because it is a new product!

I just would want a safe plug and play which would not void warranty and this seems a good enough solution I think, unless I am missing/ignoring something.
Old 5th August 2017, 19:14   #10619
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting my experiment with rear and reversing LED bulbs here in this thread.

Original link
Old 5th August 2017, 21:18   #10620
BHPian

Hey folks,
I'm not at all satisfied with the throw and the range of the projectors on the Hexa.

The output from the projectors have a terrible short range and they're useless during the night drives on the highways. Blame the design of the headlamp cluster for this. The projector is placed a bit too inside the headlight cluster. Even though the output is powerful, the range and throw is terribly shortlived and the high beam is slightly more focused on one side rather than a proper balance of 50-50 on the each side.

I don't even have an option to upgrade my foglamps with XP micros as the housing of the foglamp is not circular in shape.

Any pointers on upgrading the Lights would be of immense help.

Will post some shots of the output of the lights on an open stretch of road to give you folks an exact idea of the output on empty stretch of road.

Thanks,
Varun
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks