Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
  Search this Thread
5,030,130 views
Old 15th August 2018, 18:13   #11146
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 964
Thanked: 1,763 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Vivek, the lights look great, i have ordered for a similar bulb from Aliexpress but a bit concerned with the dust caps. Do we need to make a hole in the dust caps for Ecosport or the entire housing with the wiring fits inside the dust cap. Can you post a pic with the dust cap on and dust cap removed. Also are there any adjustment knobs for head light alignment. If yes can you guide me to the same. For some reason the throw from right side of my headlight is a bit low as compared to the left side.

The entire bulb will sit inside the dust cap. I had already cut a hole in the dust cap while fitting the relay for the 100W halogens I had before the LEDs, along with the ceramic holders. Now, I have not fitted the dust caps and I have just left it open, as there is too much wiring inside.

For bulbs without fan, I recommend that you should get longer dust caps, or ones that have a hole for ventilation. The dust cap size is 110mm for Ecosport.

Here's one I've ordered from AliExpress. It's still in transit, but it should fit. Funny how shipping costs more than the cost of the item. This was the cheapest one I found.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-capture.jpg

On a related note, ebay.in has shut down. It's sad, because because it was a place like a street market, where you could find exactly what you were looking for, at the price you were willing to pay, most of the time. Or you would get ripped off badly..

It was a good place to look for obscure items that you couldn't find on most shopping sites, and I will miss it.

I'd like to fit a couple of extra driving lamps on my Ecosport. AFAIK, they are legal as long as they are fixed lower than the headlamps. Am I right, or can I expect to be pulled over by cops? The lights I'm planning to fit are about 100mm by 80mm size.

Last edited by vivekgk : 15th August 2018 at 18:22. Reason: adding stuff
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 20:24   #11147
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Electri-City
Posts: 2,324
Thanked: 2,171 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
AFAIK, they are legal as long as they are fixed lower than the headlamps. Am I right, or can I expect to be pulled over by cops? The lights I'm planning to fit are about 100mm by 80mm size.
Any modification to the vehicle is illegal. Headlights included
The MVD usually doesn't bother with aftermarket bulbs, because they're not as obvious as a set of aux lamps. There were talks on a recent crackdown on contract carriage buses that were practically disco floors on wheels, and some MVIs did catch private vehicles that had aux lamps fitted, regardless of their position.

If you use your lights judiciously, the probability of getting pulled over is fairly low. But if you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, they will have one item to charge you with, for sure.
silversteed is offline  
Old 15th August 2018, 23:59   #11148
BHPian
 
ZENnist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 32 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Hi,
Considering the rain issue and the insufficiency of light, I am now upgrading my low beam projectors to the same 25W (each) Philips X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs I am using in my reflector type high beams.

The X-treme Ultinons are very good in the high beams and provide more than sufficient light, but I am slightly worried they may be a tad overpowering in the low beam projectors. We shall have to see.

I will be getting them installed from Mahindra at Maradu Kochi on the 16th or 17th.

Will post pics then.
Thank you. I'd also appreciate if you could clarify my other point with the technicians at Kochi please...

"I have also been contemplating a LED setup (or at least upgraded lights) on my 2011 W8. I believe the headlight internal design on your face-lift version and mine are same, so this setup would fit equally well, would you know?"

Forgot to ask...have you changed the bulbs for static bending lamps and fog lights too with LEDs?

Last edited by ZENnist : 16th August 2018 at 00:28. Reason: Added an additional question.
ZENnist is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 00:24   #11149
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 111 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

can someone please give some information about these lights from Hella? I found them on the Hella official app as well as on amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-picsart_081509.39.18.png  

_nitink_ is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 06:57   #11150
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 325
Thanked: 170 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Thank you. I'd also appreciate if you could clarify my other point with the technicians at Kochi please...

"I have also been contemplating a LED setup (or at least upgraded lights) on my 2011 W8. I believe the headlight internal design on your face-lift version and mine are same, so this setup would fit equally well, would you know?"

Forgot to ask...have you changed the bulbs for static bending lamps and fog lights too with LEDs?
As to the technicians in Kochi, they are very competent. The first time I went there to install the 14W Ultinons in my low beams, they went so far as to check compatibility with a defunct headlamp module before they even touched my car.

For the 25W X-treme Ultinon high beam install there was no trouble at all as I asked for and got the same Advisor (Siddharth) and technician (Ajay). Both are now well versed in LED installs. They did mention that customers had come to Mahindra for LED installs but left disappointed because of the tall heat sinks on commonly available bulbs like the Sego-Like and MyTVS which will not fit without modifying the dust covers. They were pleasantly surprised to see the Philips units fitting so well due to the low profile heat sinks.

I plan to send my driver to them 17th to install the new 25W X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs in the low beams so that I will be running 25W/25W Hi/Lo.

I have not changed either the static bending lamps or the fogs. I may do the bending lamps with 6000k if I can find decent bulbs.

The fogs also I may replace if I can find 4300K H8 LED's.

As far as I know the Gen II headlamp is a straight drop-in replacement for the Gen I unit with no mods required. I have seen Gen I cars here in TVM running with Gen II lights, and M&M TVM says it can be done. Gen III to GEN I/II I am not sure, but knowing M&M it can probably be done.

I will post beam pics of the 25W/25W setup on 17th after the night drive.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 10:35   #11151
BHPian
 
ZENnist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 32 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post

I plan to send my driver to them 17th to install the new 25W X-treme Ultinon LED bulbs in the low beams so that I will be running 25W/25W Hi/Lo.

I have not changed either the static bending lamps or the fogs. I may do the bending lamps with 6000k if I can find decent bulbs.

The fogs also I may replace if I can find 4300K H8 LED's.

As far as I know the Gen II headlamp is a straight drop-in replacement for the Gen I unit with no mods required. I have seen Gen I cars here in TVM running with Gen II lights, and M&M TVM says it can be done. Gen III to GEN I/II I am not sure, but knowing M&M it can probably be done.

I will post beam pics of the 25W/25W setup on 17th after the night drive.
Thank you for the prompt responses. Eagerly waiting for the results of your install.

BTW, i looked at the manuals for both 2011 and 2015 models, and i see a difference in the bulb types.

2011
Front High Beam H15 - 15 / 55W 12V, 55W
Front Low Beam H7 55W 12V, 55W

2015
Head Lamp - High Beam 12V 55W H7 55W 2
Head Lamp - Low Beam 12V 55W H7 55W 2

Static bending lamp and fog lamps are same in both models - H1 55W and H8 35W respectively.

Never seen anything of type H15; and i couldn't find it in the Philips website as well. Not under Ultinon, not under Ultinon Extreme either.

I prefer uniformity in lights, ie, it has to be all halogen or all LED. A mixture of them isn't aesthetically appealing to me, hence so many questions.
ZENnist is offline  
Old 16th August 2018, 11:40   #11152
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 325
Thanked: 170 Times

I was wondering whether to change fogs to 6000k LED but sgiitk sir strongly dissuaded against the idea.

My experience is also that white light is worse than useless in fog - in fact it can actually be dangerous - hence yellow fog lights for penetration.

I most likely will be changing at least the bending lamps to 6000K LED if I can find good ones.

Did not know there was a difference in bulb type. But since the whole headlamp unit is being changed it should be OK - unless there is a difference in the fuses.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 16:35   #11153
BHPian
 
psmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 116
Thanked: 205 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am planning to upgrade headlights on my renault duster, the options i have considered is from aliexpress (https://bit.ly/2MV4mG8) please let me know which option should I choose from this and what all changes would be necessary.

Please guide me on this, im a complete noob on this.
psmenon is offline  
Old 17th August 2018, 11:04   #11154
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 376
Thanked: 343 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
can someone please give some information about these lights from Hella? I found them on the Hella official app as well as on amazon.

Please have a look into this projector foglamps , they have amazing output.



https://www.facebook.com/blaze.india...46808818709753


Seller name : blaze india
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 11:48   #11155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 79
Thanked: 160 Times

Does anyone know how to replace the map light bulbs in a ZX model Innova Crysta? The other variants are easy since they only have simple plastic covers that pop right off. The ZX model has the LED mood lighting built into it and I'm unable to pry off the frosted plastic that's over the bulbs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
CrippledLucifer is offline  
Old 18th August 2018, 14:44   #11156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 79
Thanked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Does anyone know how to replace the map light bulbs in a ZX model Innova Crysta? The other variants are easy since they only have simple plastic covers that pop right off. The ZX model has the LED mood lighting built into it and I'm unable to pry off the frosted plastic that's over the bulbs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I hope I am allowed to quote myself here. I just wanted to follow up with this question I asked yesterday. Since this is a rather handy subject to know, I figured someone else could use the information.

I found a YouTube video from an Innova owner in another South East Asian country who's put up a helpful video. The process is a bit harrowing since I was afraid of breaking any clips, however patience and gentleness was key and ultimately the replacement was successful. The YouTube video can be found at the following link:



As it stands now, our Innova Crysta is almost fully halogen free. The fog lights, puddle lights, and front indicators are the only remaining halogen bulbs. The fog lights that I will be using are Genuine Toyota Koito units being offered on newer Fortuners and Touring Sport models. They've been ordered and are on the way. The puddle lights are a bit more tricky to install however the steps are outlined in the owners manual, I hope to tackle those in a few days. As for the front indicators, they will be replaced at the same as the fog lights since the access to both is the same.

I hope to share pictures of the complete LED converted car within a few days. It's easily made the car so much more up to date.
CrippledLucifer is offline  
Old 19th August 2018, 13:04   #11157
BHPian
 
abhoumick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 28
Thanked: 84 Times
Question on Jeep Compass headlamp upgrade options

I have a Jeep Compass and find that the headlights are inadequate for the car. Factory fitted headlamps are Sylvania Halogens, HB3/9005, inside projectors.
I was looking for headlamps to upgrade the light output and throw distance and came across some Philips & Osram H3/9005 options. I also came across LED upgrade options.
Recommendations are Auxbeam 9005 (Rs 13,199 on amazon.in) and SNGL 9005 (Rs 28,639 on amazon.in) models. As per the reviews the SNGLs are better.
Wanted to know if anyone has tried the Auxbeam 9005s or the SNGL 9005s as an upgrade on their cars?
If anyone has used any of these two inside projectors can you please share your experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170909_134308278.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170909_134222770.jpg  

abhoumick is offline  
Old 19th August 2018, 13:52   #11158
BHPian
 
ZENnist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 32 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
I was wondering whether to change fogs to 6000k LED but sgiitk sir strongly dissuaded against the idea.

My experience is also that white light is worse than useless in fog - in fact it can actually be dangerous - hence yellow fog lights for penetration.

I most likely will be changing at least the bending lamps to 6000K LED if I can find good ones.

Did not know there was a difference in bulb type. But since the whole headlamp unit is being changed it should be OK - unless there is a difference in the fuses.
Were you able to send the vehicle on 17th? The flood situation was pretty bad on 16th & 17th i suppose. No hurry, just enquiring.
ZENnist is offline  
Old 19th August 2018, 15:08   #11159
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 2,029
Thanked: 5,636 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
I have a Jeep Compass and find that the headlights are inadequate for the car. Factory fitted headlamps are Sylvania Halogens, HB3/9005, inside projectors.
I was looking for headlamps to upgrade the light output and throw distance and came across some Philips & Osram H3/9005 options. I also came across LED upgrade options.
Recommendations are Auxbeam 9005 (Rs 13,199 on amazon.in) and SNGL 9005 (Rs 28,639 on amazon.in) models. As per the reviews the SNGLs are better.
Wanted to know if anyone has tried the Auxbeam 9005s or the SNGL 9005s as an upgrade on their cars?
If anyone has used any of these two inside projectors can you please share your experience?
Don't buy either as none of them will work with the Compass. I have tried 3 different LED options on my Compass and none work properly. Some have a messed up beam and some flicker. Don't waste money on these. The best option is the Philips HIR 9011 halogen bulbs which I have used (though those are available only from amazon.com US). The wattage is same as stock at 65W and beam is exactly same and lumen output is 2350 Lumens vs stock lumens of 1650.
This fitment is same wattage halogen as stock and will not affect your warranty. Any other modifications like HID or LED will affect your warranty too.
Also if you really want to try LED bulbs, please try from Aliexpress as you will get the same bulbs much cheaper from there.
Behemoth is offline  
Old 20th August 2018, 22:03   #11160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 278
Thanked: 445 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

For the midrange cars that come with OEM LED lights, what kind of lights do they have? Array/matrix or traditional LED bulbs?

Namely, what do Vento, DZire, Ciaz, etc. come with?
suku_patel_22 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks