Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 11:36   #11206
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,526
Thanked: 764 Times
Re: :Frustrati:mad: Shoddy Work By Xenon Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I think the fact that they paid 8k does show their intention to get this rectified.
The fact that they paid 8k for my headlights is also an intention to ensure I do not go anywhere else. If I do go anywhere else, as I have checked, the only thing I would save on are the headlights. If other installers are willing to re-install my current set up, I have to pay a minimum of 7k for the same. Else, I will have to buy an entire new kit from them which will be approximately 25k at least. Why should I pay again to another installer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Yes agreed, it is taking time but if they actually do not have installers little can be done.
I wanted to get this re-install from them during the monsoons so that we would know if they have done it properly and there is no moisture. We are almost mid September and monsoons are at their fag end which means it is an opportunity lost. If there are any issues again, I will get to know next year or maybe will have to do this artificially.

If they do not have an installer, then give me a choice to get it done from another installer at their cost. Why keep me hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Why don't you ship the headlights to them and they will ship you back post install. Suggesting the same since these are not the ones on your car. A few of my friend's did that from Kolkata and are very happy with the install. They had no headlight assemblies on their cars for a 4-5 days.
This is an option which is not given to me by Xenon Planet so I don't know if this is even an option for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
It would cost you much less than 7k for shipping. Before they had installers that's how they operated as well. They continue to do that for areas where they do not have installers.
If this is an option they would have given it to me and borne the shipping charges. No mention of this to me yet. Why should I pay shipping charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Man, appreciate your patience dealing with Xenon Planet. Does Rajat think customers are fools? Story as usual, installer has quit / fired blah blah.
I don't seem to have any choice my friend. I have paid a whooping 30k for a sub-standard install and if I need to get this rectified, it will be done by Xenon Planet at their own sweet time; else I pay around 7k, maybe more, to get this done from someone else.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 15:47   #11207
BHPian
 
RedOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 327
Thanked: 62 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakritij View Post
The chips used are XHP50, which I gather are of latest tech and only second to XHP70, available in AE.
I bought a very similar one, with XHP50 chip. The light output is maybe twice that of the 65W Halogen but is all over the place and doesn't have reach. You see the difference in the pics below.

With both low beams and halogen high beam on right headlight.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-l1.jpg

With both low beams and LED high beam on left headlight. You can see the beam doesn't travel as much as Halogen (can't see the trees), though there is lot more light on the road.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-l2.jpg

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:02   #11208
BHPian
 
TheLizardKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 425
Thanked: 1,292 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi. I recently purchased a pair of Osram NB Laser bulbs for my GT TSI, and here's what happened when I asked the authorized workshop guys to fit them:

1. The manager told me that VW is very strict about after-market fitments of any kinds, and changing the bulbs could void the warranty. I told him that they are the same rating as the stock bulbs, to which he had nothing to say. He said he would install them for me, but at my risk. Is he correct? Has anyone had this experience with VW?

2. When I asked him to go ahead, he called a technician over. The technician told me that the double barrel headlamps in the GT TSI need to be removed to change the bulbs. He said it would take about 30 minutes. He showed me the old single-barrel type headlight assembly of a Vento, and how the one on my GT TSI was different. Can someone please verify this?

Thanks in advance.
TheLizardKing is offline  
Old 12th September 2018, 17:14   #11209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 278
Thanked: 444 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Hi. I recently purchased a pair of Osram NB Laser bulbs for my GT TSI, and here's what happened when I asked the authorized workshop guys to fit them:

1. The manager told me that VW is very strict about after-market fitments of any kinds, and changing the bulbs could void the warranty. I told him that they are the same rating as the stock bulbs, to which he had nothing to say. He said he would install them for me, but at my risk. Is he correct? Has anyone had this experience with VW?
Installing bulbs of same wattage cannot void the warranty on any car. The service center is taking you for a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
2. When I asked him to go ahead, he called a technician over. The technician told me that the double barrel headlamps in the GT TSI need to be removed to change the bulbs. He said it would take about 30 minutes. He showed me the old single-barrel type headlight assembly of a Vento, and how the one on my GT TSI was different. Can someone please verify this?
Yes, VW Polo/Vento has very less space to work with in the headlamp area. Its safer to remove the headlamp and install the bulb.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:56   #11210
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 8,089 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
1. The manager told me that VW is very strict about after-market fitments of any kinds, and changing the bulbs could void the warranty. I told him that they are the same rating as the stock bulbs, to which he had nothing to say. He said he would install them for me, but at my risk. Is he correct? Has anyone had this experience with VW?
Have experienced the same with Maruti. Eventually I got it installed from a FNG. But if you get any sort of accessories from them, they will have no issues. Moreover, I had the shocks of my Swift changed under warranty twice even when it was up-sized and ran on low profile tires . Absolutely strange!

Go ahead and change the bulbs. It won't void the warranty since it's running on the same wattage.
naveen.raju is offline  
Old 12th September 2018, 18:23   #11211
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: India
Posts: 573
Thanked: 1,028 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In a situation where the car warranty is bound to suffer, we can try the 12v socket power options like rayzer HID auxiliary lights. These have the added advantage of being safeguarded against theft.
COMMUTER is offline  
Old 12th September 2018, 18:54   #11212
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 51
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi Guys,

Facing a problem with the headlights in my 7 year old Honda City 2011 (previous generation).

The headlamp reflectors have become somewhat dull and milky in color and not very reflective. Not sure what caused this. I have used only 60/55 bulbs and last year I got a Philips Ultinon LED bulb (which was a huge improvement BTW though quite costly), but this doesn't emit much heat. No 100 or 130W bulbs used and I have always made sure the dust caps were sealed well so not sure what caused the reflector damage.

Pic attached but not sure if it clearly shows the condition of the reflectors.

Anyways what I wanted to know is; what are my options?

1) Is there any way to clean the reflectors to bring back the shine? If so is there anyone in Trivandrum/Kochi who can get this done?
2) Should I get a new set of headlamps? Any idea of the cost involved (I'm thinking around 10K?)
3) I'm tempted to install 100/90s with relays now (since the reflectors are gone anyways). Is this a good option? With the current reflectors I don't see any major light scattering. Just that it's a bit weak.
4) Are Bi Xenon projector fog lamps a good idea? I'm wary of messing with the headlamp assembly (so not considering projector retrofit inside headlamps). If additional foglamps will help in highway driving I can look at that option. Currently I do a lot of Kochi-Trivandrum drives and I really need good strong headlights. Please keep in mind that this is a SMT model so I guess the bumper needs to be cut to make provision for fog lamps.

Your ideas please
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-headlamp.jpg  

ar@v1nd is offline  
Old 12th September 2018, 19:45   #11213
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 8,089 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
1) Is there any way to clean the reflectors to bring back the shine? If so is there anyone in Trivandrum/Kochi who can get this done?
2) Should I get a new set of headlamps? Any idea of the cost involved (I'm thinking around 10K?)
3) I'm tempted to install 100/90s with relays now (since the reflectors are gone anyways). Is this a good option? With the current reflectors I don't see any major light scattering. Just that it's a bit weak.
4) Are Bi Xenon projector fog lamps a good idea? I'm wary of messing with the headlamp assembly (so not considering projector retrofit inside headlamps). If additional foglamps will help in highway driving I can look at that option. Currently I do a lot of Kochi-Trivandrum drives and I really need good strong headlights. Please keep in mind that this is a SMT model so I guess the bumper needs to be cut to make provision for fog lamps.

Your ideas please
LED do produce a lot of heat but less when compared to halogen/HID lights. Check whether the heat sink is working properly. If not, that's causing the issue. That's the main reason why am still hesitant in upgrading to LEDs.

Let me try and help you answer some of your questions:

1) Try the old method of cleaning using a toothbrush and paste. You can find a lot of DIYs on Youtube. 3M does headlight restorations but can be expensive. Do try approaching some detailing outlets and check with them. In cochin, do check with DBS tires since they do detailing (We are regular there).
2) Too early for that I guess after seeing that picture. New set can cost around 8k-10k.
3) It might even worsen the scattering and produce even more heat. If the output isn't bad, I would suggest to stick the current setup.
4) Messing up with the bumper sounds tricky in your case since you will need to make provision for the fogs. I don't recall the bumper design but you will need a trusted mechanic to get the job done. But a projector fogs should improve things but can blind the oncoming traffic (but that's the case on TVM-Cochin stretch being 2 lane highway).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 20:07   #11214
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 51
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1) Try the old method of cleaning using a toothbrush and paste. You can find a lot of DIYs on Youtube. 3M does headlight restorations but can be expensive. Do try approaching some detailing outlets and check with them. In cochin, do check with DBS tires since they do detailing (We are regular there).
Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe this kind of cleaning only polishes the lens surface. Since reflectors are inside the assembly and I guess it can be cleaned only after opening the headlamp by heating in an oven (or at least that's what the youtube videos say). Sounds like a messy process but if there's someone who can do this reliably I'm thinking it might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
3) It might even worsen the scattering and produce even more heat. If the output isn't bad, I would suggest to stick the current setup.
It's actually quite bad now. The pic I shared doesnt clearly show the problem with the reflectors. They are kind of milky and not very reflective. Almost as if there's a very thin layer of white powder on the surface. On highways it's quite difficult to see the road. Since it was progressive deterioration I didnt really notice it. But recently when I drove a Celerio with stock headlamps I found it lighting the road much better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
4) Messing up with the bumper sounds tricky in your case since you will need to make provision for the fogs. I don't recall the bumper design but you will need a trusted mechanic to get the job done. But a projector fogs should improve things but can blind the oncoming traffic (but that's the case on TVM-Cochin stretch being 2 lane highway).
I'm thinking bi-xenon projectors so that I can put them on low beams when there's oncoming traffic.
ar@v1nd is offline  
Old 13th September 2018, 09:23   #11215
BHPian
 
RedOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 327
Thanked: 62 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Hi Guys,

Facing a problem with the headlights in my 7 year old Honda City 2011 (previous generation).

The headlamp reflectors have become somewhat dull and milky in color and not very reflective.
Not very clear from the picture if the dullness is in the reflectors or the lens. Usually, it is the lens cover which degrades first. I've had very good results polishing the lens of my previous car which looked similar and the dullness was the lens cover. I had it done at 3M.

First step for you would be to confirm where the problem is.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 10:56   #11216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 51
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Not very clear from the picture if the dullness is in the reflectors or the lens. Usually, it is the lens cover which degrades first. I've had very good results polishing the lens of my previous car which looked similar and the dullness was the lens cover. I had it done at 3M.

First step for you would be to confirm where the problem is.

Gears,
Red-One.
I have uploaded one more pic with less glare. The pictures don't really show the dullness clearly but if you see the area highlighted in red, you'll get an idea. Normally you'd expect the reflector to be shiny like a mirror but as you can see it is kind of dull and milky in color. The entire reflector area is like this. And trust me, it's not the lens. Lens is clean and I already got it buffed from a detailing shop earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-headlamp2.jpg  

ar@v1nd is offline  
Old 13th September 2018, 11:23   #11217
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 872
Thanked: 592 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
I have uploaded one more pic with less glare. The pictures don't really show the dullness clearly but if you see the area highlighted in red, you'll get an idea. Normally you'd expect the reflector to be shiny like a mirror but as you can see it is kind of dull and milky in color. The entire reflector area is like this. And trust me, it's not the lens. Lens is clean and I already got it buffed from a detailing shop earlier.
The headlight assembly can be removed and cleaned up with soap water and then dried with hot air at a FNG if there are dust accumulations. I don't whether such treatment will be beneficial in your case. You can check with a FNG you trust.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:45   #11218
BHPian
 
francis_vaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 491 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
I have uploaded one more pic with less glare. The pictures don't really show the dullness clearly but if you see the area highlighted in red, you'll get an idea. Normally you'd expect the reflector to be shiny like a mirror but as you can see it is kind of dull and milky in color. The entire reflector area is like this. And trust me, it's not the lens. Lens is clean and I already got it buffed from a detailing shop earlier.
It looks like permanent discoloration due to the heat from the bulbs, I don't think any type of cleaning would have any effect over it.

Is it having minute cracks or peeled off reflective coating?
Did water entered the assembly any time?
I had the same problem with fog lamp reflectors, getting them changed was the only alternative I had.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 12:22   #11219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 51
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
It looks like permanent discoloration due to the heat from the bulbs, I don't think any type of cleaning would have any effect over it.

Is it having minute cracks or peeled off reflective coating?
Did water entered the assembly any time?
I had the same problem with fog lamp reflectors, getting them changed was the only alternative I had.
Hmm.... No cracks or peeled off coating. And I don't think water could have entered. I have replaced the bulbs myself and always ensured that the dust caps are sealed. Headlamp has no impact damage either so ideally water should not have entered.

Regarding heat from bulbs, no high wattage bulbs were used except Osram NB+ and Philips Xtreme Vision (IIRC). Both were 60/55W. And the Philips LEDs appear to be much cooler than the bulbs (at least on the surface). The heatsinks also are fine and I would expect the LEDs to get damaged/switched off in case of extreme heat before reflectors get damaged. The whole thing beats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The headlight assembly can be removed and cleaned up with soap water and then dried with hot air at a FNG if there are dust accumulations. I don't whether such treatment will be beneficial in your case. You can check with a FNG you trust.
Thanks. I'll check that out. Any recommendations for a good shop / FNG in Trivandrum who can get this checked for me?
ar@v1nd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 13:41   #11220
BHPian
 
sagpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 319
Thanked: 244 Times

Guys i am thinking of installing LEDs in my yeti's reflectors?
I have shortlisted these two because both sellers are confident that it will not throw up "bulb out" error in cluster but i am still skeptical.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Mnm2Yzye

http://s.aliexpress.com/EbyUnIbM
Any suggestions?
sagpatel is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks