Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2019, 17:37   #11596
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
The steel clip exists only in Ventos with the single barrel headlight with H4 bulbs. I have a dual barrel one which houses 2 separate bulbs of H7 and I can confirm that the clip mechanism doesn't exist. In my model of Vento I had to put a lot of effort in rotating the bulb to remove it.

So, as your headlight doesn't have the clip, you have to apply force in the downward direction to detach the fixing lugs from the recess. And then you can remove it by pulling it back.

Trust me, those things are going to be really tight. I tried changing the bulbs of my Vento when it was few months old and it was a nightmare to do it. Yours seems to be older and so the bulbs will be fixed there tightly. You need some patience and it does take some effort. Don't worry as those metal parts are really hard. They won't break so easily. But do be careful of you're taking help of a screwdriver for application of pressure as that could damage things.

Good Luck
Thank you! Yep, the pic is from the single barrel Vento. I'll try it out again, later. Used bare hands last time, no screwdriver as we weren't sure what we were doing. Just hope nothing breaks. Sounds like repeating this process to adjust the new bulbs after procuring them, for the desired light output is going to be a pain. Will update soon.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 24th November 2019 at 17:39.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 22:03   #11597
BHPian

Even after upgrading my ford freestyle stock bulbs with philips xtreme vision plus. I'm still not happy with its performance, especially when dealing with high beam glare of oncoming traffic. I wish to install a couple of aux lights on bumper to help in safe night driving. I have read previous threads and i believe hella 500FF or similar 100w lamp should be adequate. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 24th November 2019, 22:18   #11598
BHPian

Changing headlight bulb in the double barrel version of Vento is indeed very difficult. I have tried without success. I even bought torx screw driver set for the purpose, which is now becoming useful in other home appliances.

I have installed Osram nightbreaker laser H7 in both low and high beams. It's quite good.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 22:49   #11599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Changing headlight bulb in the double barrel version of Vento is indeed very difficult. I have tried without success. I even bought torx screw driver set for the purpose, which is now becoming useful in other home appliances.

I have installed Osram nightbreaker laser H7 in both low and high beams. It's quite good.
How did you manage to install the new bulbs? Did you get it done by a mechanic? Thanks.
Old 24th November 2019, 23:04   #11600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
How did you manage to install the new bulbs? Did you get it done by a mechanic? Thanks.
First time by local mechanic. I took my torx screw with me. They too found it difficult but could do it. Second time I took new bulbs with me during service at ASS.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:50   #11601
BHPian

So, I decided to ditch the idea of getting LED headlights as they have a bright low beam but an equally useless high beam. Besides, the lack of a proper beam pattern scares me away. Then there's the matter of fitment in the Rapid's horrible headlamp assembly *shudders*.

Planning to go for either Philips Xtreme Vision (12V,60/55W) or Racing Vision (12V, 60/55W). The former costs INR 683 while the latter INR 2000. Heard the Philips' have a whiter low beam and a yellower high beam, which is actually useful. Users please confirm. Checked pictures too; both look fantastic. Questions- do you need to install a relay for either? Instead of a local mechanic, would the ASS be able to do it (along with installing Roots Windtones with a relay kit)? Thanks!
Old 26th November 2019, 08:38   #11602
BHPian

Quote:

Planning to go for either Philips Xtreme Vision (12V,60/55W) or Racing Vision (12V, 60/55W). The former costs INR 683 while the latter INR 2000. Heard the Philips' have a whiter low beam and a yellower high beam, which is actually useful. Users please confirm. Checked pictures too; both look fantastic. Questions- do you need to install a relay for either? Instead of a local mechanic, would the ASS be able to do it (along with installing Roots Windtones with a relay kit)? Thanks!
There is no need for relays since these are 60/55W bulbs (assuming your OEM bulbs are the same wattage). Can be just plug and play installation, anyone from ASS or who knows how to do, can do the installation.

regards,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:42   #11603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I decided to ditch the idea of getting LED headlights as they have a bright low beam but an equally useless high beam. Besides, the lack of a proper beam pattern scares me away. Then there's the matter of fitment in the Rapid's horrible headlamp assembly *shudders*.

I would suggest you remove the headlight assembly and replace the bulbs. It will be much easier to apply the right pressure with the headlamp assembly out.

Regarding LED, i would suggest you go for them. I would recommend the below 2 brands.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...27424c4dnPmD6T

The below one has bit yellow color but is very compact and light is nice and bright
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...chweb201603_52

And you do not need a relay if you are not increasing the wattage of the bulbs. Honestly, i will not recommend you to upgrade your headlamp bulb wattage. Adding relay and harness is a hassle with closed headlamp assemblies like the one in yours and not to mention SASS denying warranty in case something goes wrong with your electrical. Stick to plug and play solutions.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 17:55   #11604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
And you do not need a relay if you are not increasing the wattage of the bulbs. Honestly, i will not recommend you to upgrade your headlamp bulb wattage. Adding relay and harness is a hassle with closed headlamp assemblies like the one in yours and not to mention SASS denying warranty in case something goes wrong with your electrical. Stick to plug and play solutions.
60/55W would be a safe fit, i guess. Will try to put in more research as to which headlamp though. Dealing with the ASS guys might be troublesome, but we'll see. Warranty is out anyway.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 26th November 2019 at 18:06.
Old 26th November 2019, 18:25   #11605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
60/55W would be a safe fit, i guess. Will try to put in more research as to which headlamp though. Dealing with the ASS guys might be troublesome, but we'll see. Warranty is out anyway.
60/55W is a safe bet. But it may not feel like an upgrade. Hence i am suggesting good quality LED's
Old 26th November 2019, 20:18   #11606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Planning to go for either Philips Xtreme Vision (12V,60/55W) or Racing Vision (12V, 60/55W). The former costs INR 683 while the latter INR 2000. Heard the Philips' have a whiter low beam and a yellower high beam, which is actually useful.
Good decision on the LED bit! Glare = Wasted light, its of no use to you and it will blind someone coming from the other side. A proper beam pattern is essential.

Since you are going for replacement halogens, I have a few points for you to consider.

If your current bulbs have been used for more than 200 hours, please swap them for direct replacement = 60/55 W and see if its sufficient, get the lamps aimed correctly while you are at it. The super expensive bulbs in my experience has lasted much less than cheaper ones. I use Philips PremiumVision (not there in their India website,its made in China by Lumileds I think, it clears the authenticity check on their website), it costs ~ 110 INR and I change it in approx ~ 200 hours or about 4 months, I have minimum 1 hour night drive everyday from work as well as some highway use.

The extremevision 60/55 stuff is about sending the light further down the road with a slightly longer beam pattern and being a bit more whiter light. It will probably have the same lumens rating as the cheaper PremiumVision 60/55.

If your car is out of warranty, you may as well go for 100/90 with a relay, use good quality stuff, use original Philips bulbs and it is unlikely to cause any issues to your headlamps. I have used them in plastic housings and it did just fine.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:01   #11607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Changing headlight bulb in the double barrel version of Vento is indeed very difficult. .
Hi,
The easiest and simple way to do this is by removing headlight assembly. You need to remove wiring connector, two screws on the top and then push the headlight outwards to unlock hidden plastic clip. Following video describes the same process.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:40   #11608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The extremevision 60/55 stuff is about sending the light further down the road with a slightly longer beam pattern and being a bit more whiter light. It will probably have the same lumens rating as the cheaper PremiumVision 60/55.

If your car is out of warranty, you may as well go for 100/90 with a relay, use good quality stuff, use original Philips bulbs and it is unlikely to cause any issues to your headlamps. I have used them in plastic housings and it did just fine.
Thank you! I’m guessing the XV doesn’t require a relay, does it?
Old 26th November 2019, 22:50   #11609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I’m guessing the XV doesn’t require a relay, does it?
No relay needed as long as it's 60/55 (You will encounter many who would tell you that stock wiring can run 100/90 as well, just don't do that). XV 60/55 is plug and play. I'm just not sure about how to remove the bulb on a VW.

I have had to replace bulbs during outstation trips at least five times in so many years even after changing these things fairly regularly , I'd be in considerable worry if I cannot do that myself!
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 23:53   #11610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,
The easiest and simple way to do this is by removing headlight assembly. You need to remove wiring connector, two screws on the top and then push the headlight outwards to unlock hidden plastic clip. Following video describes the same process.
I could remove the headlight assembly. Removing the bulb is the difficult part. I am not going to try again anytime soon.

In my Hyundai car removing headlight assembly is not required. Its far simpler and easier. It seems Germans over complicate stuffs.

Most Viewed