Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 18:30   #11746
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post

1. I used a h4 to bixenon splitter wire that looks like this.

2. Shroud wires can be routed through the position lamp hole. There is no need to seal that and mine is left unsealed. The outer cap is airtight and keeps moisture away

Btw which LED projector have you purchased?
My Bi-LEDs are AES A8 projectors.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-images-9-20200529t182641.020.jpeg

I searched for the splitter but couldn't find any in india. On aliexpress, after the lockdown shipping charges are through the roof and I don't want to wait another 1-2 months to upgrade the headlight. Seller was experienced in Bi-LED upgrade and he told me he had directly contacted AES for this Hi-Low beam wiring in the past and they suggested to add a diode in the circuit which I checked and it works. Probably in future I will get this H4 splitter to make connections, coupler to coupler.

In Swift Dzire, I will have to seal the position light hole as it's not covered by outer cap. I have got few position lamp T10 holders which I will use to seal them.

Thanks for the cleaning advise. I am actually having problem of dust on projectors. I will use alcohol wipes to clean them.
Old 29th May 2020, 18:55   #11747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
My Bi-LEDs are AES A8 projectors.
Attachment 2011671

I searched for the splitter but couldn't find any in india. On aliexpress, after the lockdown shipping charges are through the roof and I don't want to wait another 1-2 months to upgrade the headlight. Seller was experienced in Bi-LED upgrade and he told me he had directly contacted AES for this Hi-Low beam wiring in the past and they suggested to add a diode in the circuit which I checked and it works. Probably in future I will get this H4 splitter to make connections, coupler to coupler.

In Swift Dzire, I will have to seal the position light hole as it's not covered by outer cap. I have got few position lamp T10 holders which I will use to seal them.

Thanks for the cleaning advise. I am actually having problem of dust on projectors. I will use alcohol wipes to clean them.
Okay, Keep us posted here how it goes. Only clean the glass lens with alcohol, for rest areas only air or a clean microfiber. Also if you planning to use the switchback/DRL function on the shrouds it will look better if you black out the stock reflector. Else light bounces around a bit.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 12:07   #11748
BANNED

I have been running 4 hella 500 lights on my Figo 1.5D for over three years and 70k kms now without any issue.

Trouble began after I replaced a fused 100w h3 with a 55w one. That holder got burnt and I replaced the holder. I changed all the lights to 55w after the incident. Even after changing them all, one or two of the light bulbs(55w H3) are getting fused everytime I drive.

Has anyone faced such an issue? Will using one lower watt light in a light bar cause the lower watt bulb's holder to burn?

Should I overhaul the aux light wiring or relay? Or would it be simply because of duplicate bulbs?
Old 1st June 2020, 16:19   #11749
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, Keep us posted here how it goes. Only clean the glass lens with alcohol, for rest areas only air or a clean microfiber. Also if you planning to use the switchback/DRL function on the shrouds it will look better if you black out the stock reflector. Else light bounces around a bit.
I installed the projectors, but I am having hard time aligning them. Cut off line in both projectors are slanted. Did you have any such trouble?
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:19   #11750
BHPian

Quote:
I installed the projectors, but I am having hard time aligning them. Cut off line in both projectors are slanted. Did you have any such trouble?
The H4 socket is slightly rotated in the halogen headlights in india. You have to fix by having it installed straight. Options are:

1. Modify the H4 locking part that goes from the bulb replacement side.
2. Fix projector using 4 nuts drilled through the reflector.
Old 6th June 2020, 13:02   #11751
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is interested: Classifieds link
Old 7th June 2020, 20:35   #11752
Senior - BHPian

Hey everyone,

It's a known issue that the Jeep Compass Limited comes with projector halogens that are very weak, and I've read about Beamoth's experiments to get things better extensively. He has recommended that I go with Xenon instead of LED as the light beam scatters too much.

I have recently discovered all these cool low beam/high beam projector based fog lights and am thinking its a better idea to replace that first and then see if there is anything that needs to be done about the main headlights.

My requirements are maximum power and quality (read: reliability). As I believe they are a critical component and should not fail. I would like to go with dependable brands like Hella, Morimoto etc. I am not sure if we can get more daylight like colour temperature in LEDs, I have partial night blindness and blue light sensitivity and hopefully keeping halogens intact with LED projector update in the fogs should solve the issue. I am unsure of how this works, are they ready made kits? Or do installers have to get projector, bulb, ballast separately? Any recommended place in Gurgaon/NCR to get these installed?

Also, if there are any recommended changes for the main lamps open to that also, but as I've seen that it doesn't work out so am wary of it. I would also like to upgrade the stock DRL to LED which are above the fog lamp housing.
Old 10th June 2020, 10:27   #11753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I am not sure if we can get more daylight like colour temperature in LEDs, I have partial night blindness and blue light sensitivity and hopefully keeping halogens intact with LED projector update in the fogs should solve the issue.

I would also like to upgrade the stock DRL to LED which are above the fog lamp housing.
Hello,

Have you checked this post? Jeep compass (Jeep Compass: Morimoto HID Headlights + FE Retrofit Projector Foglamps Upgrade)

It might be helpful.

For the night blindness the best thing is to go with 5000K colour temperature. Finding Bi-Xenon fog lamps with that colour temperature will be an easier task than finding LED fog lamps and it will also give you better result. You car being an SUV, fog lamp projectors will give better throw and visibility. Probably you won't need to upgrade your headlights after that.

Morimoto and FE retrofit both have installers in Delhi.

As colour temperature will be important in your case, you need to understand how HID lamp colour changes with the wattage of ballast. Any HID bulb will work with any wattage ballast. But it's colour temperature will change. Following video will help you to understand it.

Installing DRLs shouldn't be a big problem. Any good installer should be able to do it.

Drbhavesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 10:34   #11754
BHPian

Quote:
The H4 socket is slightly rotated in the halogen headlights in india. You have to fix by having it installed straight. Options are:

1. Modify the H4 locking part that goes from the bulb replacement side.
2. Fix projector using 4 nuts drilled through the reflector.
I wish I had known this before closing the headlight

At the moment I have cut the H4 locking part and tried to align the headlights but it's terrible. Probably I will have to change panamera shroud to BMW shroud as those are flat at the top and bottom and may give better height and farther throw. Let's see.

I had to come to Mumbai for work purpose and won't be able to go back for next 2 months. I will update about alignment later.

Do you have any more information about how to drill holes in the reflector and fix projectors?

Last edited by Drbhavesh : 10th June 2020 at 10:36.
Old 10th June 2020, 11:32   #11755
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I had known this before closing the headlight

At the moment I have cut the H4 locking part and tried to align the headlights but it's terrible. Probably I will have to change panamera shroud to BMW shroud as those are flat at the top and bottom and may give better height and farther throw. Let's see.

I had to come to Mumbai for work purpose and won't be able to go back for next 2 months. I will update about alignment later.

Do you have any more information about how to drill holes in the reflector and fix projectors?
The shrouds don't affect the light output. Just choose on what fits in your headlight. I did not use the 4 nut method, i just slightly modified the h4 base ring as i don't have a drill at home. So my cutoffs are not perfectly aligned but still decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hey everyone,

It's a known issue that the Jeep Compass Limited comes with projector halogens that are very weak, and I've read about Beamoth's experiments to get things better extensively. He has recommended that I go with Xenon instead of LED as the light beam scatters too much.

I have recently discovered all these cool low beam/high beam projector based fog lights and am thinking its a better idea to replace that first and then see if there is anything that needs to be done about the main headlights.

My requirements are maximum power and quality (read: reliability). As I believe they are a critical component and should not fail. I would like to go with dependable brands like Hella, Morimoto etc. I am not sure if we can get more daylight like colour temperature in LEDs, I have partial night blindness and blue light sensitivity and hopefully keeping halogens intact with LED projector update in the fogs should solve the issue. I am unsure of how this works, are they ready made kits? Or do installers have to get projector, bulb, ballast separately? Any recommended place in Gurgaon/NCR to get these installed?

Also, if there are any recommended changes for the main lamps open to that also, but as I've seen that it doesn't work out so am wary of it. I would also like to upgrade the stock DRL to LED which are above the fog lamp housing.
I would say just replace the Halogen in the projector with a HID kit. Since you can afford get a good brand of Hid bulbs and ballasts. Either Morimoto or Cnlight brand 4300k/4500k bulbs with ballasts. Also a branded relay to power them up. 35 watt should be a decent upgrade but since you mentioned 'maximum' get the 55w kit. I believe the retro rides in mg road, delhi stocks morimoto stuff, you can search and call them for prices.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2020 at 12:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Old 10th June 2020, 11:56   #11756
BHPian

Quote:
The shrouds don't affect the light output. Just choose on what fits in your headlight. I did not use the 4 nut method, i just slightly modified the h4 base ring as i don't have a drill at home. So my cutoffs are not perfectly aligned but still decent enough.
What I meant is the panamera shrouds are round and BMW shrouds are flat from the top and bottom.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-images-9-20200610t113544.771.jpeg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20200603_200840.jpg

This is my current alignment. Yup first I need horizontal alignment and then vertical alignment.

The thing is the upper part of my shroud is about to touch the reflector. There is not much room for vertical alignment. So my beam won't reach far.

I measured the diameter and If BMW shrouds are installed, it would give about half an inch of extra space on the top for vertical alignment and that can make the beam go farther and can make significant difference. Only problem with this is that I have to open the headlight again. Will see how it goes.
Drbhavesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:02   #11757
BHPian

Quote:
What I meant is the panamera shrouds are round and BMW shrouds are flat from the top and bottom.
Attachment 2015353

Attachment 2015354

This is my current alignment. Yup first I need horizontal alignment and then vertical alignment.

The thing is the upper part of my shroud is about to touch the reflector. There is not much room for vertical alignment. So my beam won't reach far.

I measured the diameter and If BMW shrouds are installed, it would give about half an inch of extra space on the top for vertical alignment and that can make the beam go farther and can make significant difference. Only problem with this is that I have to open the headlight again. Will see how it goes.
Ok, if the shroud is about to touch the top you may need a different one. You can also look at filing away the top part since its just plastic if it wont be much visible. Have you adjusted the alignment with the screws as well on the plastic housing of the headlight? Try that as well.
Old 10th June 2020, 15:36   #11758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitmajumdarin View Post

Regarding quad-projector setup, you can consider Morimoto/Profile/Osram Bi-LED projectors if you want a hassle-free, fit & forget experience. As opposed to Xenons, there is no warm-up time, and you also have the freedom to flash pass light without any harm to your ballasts. But the downside is that once any one projector unit goes wrong for whatsoever reason, you'll have to pry open the headlights. Also, the colour temperature from LED projectors don't go well with black asphalt roads, especially during rains.
Has any one tried Hella projectors, if I go in for Quads, I would need only hi-beam in inner and a Bi Xenon in the outer lamps. Hella has all three only low, only Hi and Bi in their projector lineup.
I think a Morimoto Bi Xenon in place of Outer low's and Hella Hi beam projector in place of inner highs should be good.
Old 12th June 2020, 00:11   #11759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
For the night blindness the best thing is to go with 5000K colour temperature. Finding Bi-Xenon fog lamps with that colour temperature will be an easier task than finding LED fog lamps and it will also give you better result. You car being an SUV, fog lamp projectors will give better throw and visibility. Probably you won't need to upgrade your headlights after that.

As colour temperature will be important in your case, you need to understand how HID lamp colour changes with the wattage of ballast. Any HID bulb will work with any wattage ballast. But it's colour temperature will change. Following video will help you to understand it.
Hey thanks for sharing, yes I've checked out that thread. But there was definitely some issue with the lights on that Compass. For me I think we will just stick to headlight for now and look into fogs later.

Morimoto 5000k or 5500k with a 55w ballast should give optimum colour temperature I think.

I meant to say replace bulbs like turn signal, pilot lamp, brake lights with LED. I can't seem to find any good resource for it. The Morimoto guy only keeps HID/LED no retrofit LED bulbs.

Last edited by quickdraw : 12th June 2020 at 00:12. Reason: Removed entire quoted post
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 15:28   #11760
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends. I would like to know if I can replace my 2012 Verna's halogen headlights with the 2019 Verna's projector headlights with minor electrical modifications. From the pictures, they kind of look similar in shape.

If anyone has a first hand experience in this would be immensely helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 21st June 2020 at 15:38.

Most Viewed