Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 18:36   #11806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwikbhatt View Post
Hey Behemoth, thanks for clearing that up for me. I will check out the kit you have suggested. Unfortunately I am not able to send you a PM for some reason🤔
No worries , you can drop a message on this thread when you get the kit. I will help you out.
As you are a Newbie, you will not be able to send PMs until you have at least 10 posts. After that ot should get activated.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:05   #11807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post

Please help!
Why not retrofit a good bixenon projector in current headlight ? Will be way more cost effective too than buying entire headlight assemblies. Plus performance would be better too if you go for a good proven Bi-xenon projector kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Though I don't have personal experience with these, I do have friends who have used them and they are running fine since the past two years, with no yellowing/ cracking or moisture ingress. I have also seen them being used extensively in Sri Lanka and they work quite well.
Hid is best for low beam (in dual barrel headlights) and halogen/leds for high beam.
Tech Hardy is a good brand and has a good reputation and products are good quality. They are comparable to Morimoto in quality.
Morimoto is the only other structured brand available now ever since Osram and Philips stopped their HID kits hence everyone is inclined to Morimoto.
Since when did "Tech hardy" become comparable to Morimoto (US based brand) ? Do they even have a website?

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 7th August 2020 at 22:12.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 22:51   #11808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post

Since when did "Tech hardy" become comparable to Morimoto (US based brand) ? Do they even have a website?
Tech Hardy was an Indian Importer who started selling Hylux Ballasts with CNlight bulbs almost way back in 2010 when Philips was the only brand available in India. The products they sold were good quality. They later on shifted away from HID kits and now sell full Headlight units now under the mxsmotorsport brand.
Morimoto which people think is a high end brand was always considered a second brand compared to Philips and Osram in quality and their manufacturing is in China in low cost factories. (I was working with Philips and know the industry well). Hylux ballasts are among the best in the world and they are the OE manufacturer for most top brands. Even now if you want the best HID kits on Aliexpress, the defacto driver is Hylux with either Yeaky or CNlight bulbs.
Old 7th August 2020, 23:12   #11809
BHPian

Quote:
Tech Hardy was an Indian Importer who started selling Hylux Ballasts with CNlight bulbs almost way back in 2010 when Philips was the only brand available in India. The products they sold were good quality. They later on shifted away from HID kits and now sell full Headlight units now under the mxsmotorsport brand.
Morimoto which people think is a high end brand was always considered a second brand compared to Philips and Osram in quality and their manufacturing is in China in low cost factories. (I was working with Philips and know the industry well). Hylux ballasts are among the best in the world and they are the OE manufacturer for most top brands. Even now if you want the best HID kits on Aliexpress, the defacto driver is Hylux with either Yeaky or CNlight bulbs.
So basically its a in house brand/reseller of that shop only right then. Morimoto is well known across the world and they actually work on optics with the manufacturers, manufactured in china doesn't mean its bad if quality is controlled. Hylux and Cnlight were always available in India through multiple people and i have used it as well since 2008. The great brand tech hardy does not even showcase standardised output shots of its products so i can imagine the focus on optics and lighting performance. Also Hylux and Cnlight are good brands but since as you say Tech hardy has moved on from HID kids so how exactly is it a good brand? Just because they sold other brand products once like everyone else?

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 7th August 2020 at 23:18.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 10:25   #11810
BHPian

Quote:
For your Polo, you have plenty of good headlight options available in Delhi. There is a very good importer in Karol Bagh by the name of mxsmotorsport who you can connect with. They have good range of aftermarket headlights which will be a direct fit in your car. Their website is http://www.mxsmotosport.com/volkswagen/polo and they also have a Youtube channel by the same name.
I just got the headlights installed 3 days ago and have been testing extensively and I am pretty happy with the results, the light throw is amazing and well controlled. I'm using 5500k 55W HID projector setup in the low beam and LEDs in the high beam.

What bothered me was that since yesterday and twice it happened that the car didn't start within 1 try (which is usually the case), I got a fresh battery in 2018 only so it's nowhere near replacement age. I had two give the keys a twist again to finally start the engine.

Can there be a connection between the headlight change and starting issue?
Old 14th August 2020, 10:33   #11811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just got the headlights installed 3 days ago and have been testing extensively and I am pretty happy with the results, the light throw is amazing and well controlled. I'm using 5500k 55W HID projector setup in the low beam and LEDs in the high beam.

What bothered me was that since yesterday and twice it happened that the car didn't start within 1 try (which is usually the case), I got a fresh battery in 2018 only so it's nowhere near replacement age. I had two give the keys a twist again to finally start the engine.

Can there be a connection between the headlight change and starting issue?
Generally should not be the case as the headlights should be canbus compliant (should not show any error on MID) and should not have any power drain when off. Do get your battery checked as many batteries are failing these days due to very limited driving in lockdown. It should be in warranty and it may be better to have it replaced if it is showing signs of weakness.
Also check if you have any chargers connected to the lighter socket as that is permanently powered in VW cars (even when ignition is off) and that can drain the battery.

Also be sure to check that the battery terminal connectors are tightly connected and that there is no carbon deposition on them. Many times installers forget to tighten the nuts of the battery connection properly after installing any electrical items.

Last edited by Behemoth : 14th August 2020 at 10:48.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:25   #11812
BHPian

Quote:
Generally should not be the case as the headlights should be canbus compliant (should not show any error on MID) and should not have any power drain when off. Do get your battery checked as many batteries are failing these days due to very limited driving in lockdown. It should be in warranty and it may be better to have it replaced if it is showing signs of weakness.
Also check if you have any chargers connected to the lighter socket as that is permanently powered in VW cars (even when ignition is off) and that can drain the battery.

Also be sure to check that the battery terminal connectors are tightly connected and that there is no carbon deposition on them. Many times installers forget to tighten the nuts of the battery connection properly after installing any electrical items.
I was using a modulator device scine 3-4years that plugs in the lighter socket which gave bluetooth capabilities to the car without changing anything else. that used to be plugged in 'always'. 2 weeks ago a got OEM RCD 340 to replace the miserable radio/CD played that came with the car in 2012. I use Carplay in that but nothing plugged in when the ignition is off.

This car has been used fairly well even in lockdown so I can safely rule out that probable cause.

Yes, carbon deposition and terminal connectors are a good point to check.
Old 14th August 2020, 11:29   #11813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was using a modulator device scine 3-4years that plugs in the lighter socket which gave bluetooth capabilities to the car without changing anything else. that used to be plugged in 'always'. 2 weeks ago a got OEM RCD 340 to replace the miserable radio/CD played that came with the car in 2012. I use Carplay in that but nothing plugged in when the ignition is off.

This car has been used fairly well even in lockdown so I can safely rule out that probable cause.

Yes, carbon deposition and terminal connectors are a good point to check.
The new stereo could also be a source of Battery drain too - do check that. Did you get it from Shalinder or did you import yourself from Aliexpress? What I have seen some other instances of is that the rear view camera takes power from the Cigarette lighter socket and that causes battery drain in some cars. In some cars, there is prewiring from Canbus for rear camera, which is the best solution.
I have been contemplating the Music system to RCD 340G too for my Skoda Laura, but since it is 8 1/2 years old now (it is a Diesel) so I am considering whether to upgrade it or sell it. Do share the details of your music system too.

Last edited by Behemoth : 14th August 2020 at 11:31.
Old 14th August 2020, 11:38   #11814
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone upgraded the bulbs in the small projector fog lamps available on the new Verna, Venue or Seltos (HTK/HTK+)? Which type of bulb is used in these projectors?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:50   #11815
BHPian

Quote:
The new stereo could also be a source of Battery drain too - do check that. Did you get it from Shalinder or did you import yourself from Aliexpress? What I have seen some other instances of is that the rear view camera takes power from the Cigarette lighter socket and that causes battery drain in some cars. In some cars, there is prewiring from Canbus for rear camera, which is the best solution.
I didn't import it myself yes I got it from this Shalinder guy after seeing alot of my friends being happy with the install in their Polo 1-2 years ago but that thing was a mere plug n play. It barely took him 3min, directly plugged straight into the old connector and I have a habit of not using the screen when the ignition is off. What I can do is that I can get rid of camera totally and then check?

These are the only two mods I have done to the car - RCD 340 and headlights. Still don't know how to find the root cause before opting for battery replacement because I'm afraid that new one will be drained soon also.
Old 14th August 2020, 11:54   #11816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't import it myself yes I got it from this Shalinder guy after seeing alot of my friends being happy with the install in their Polo 1-2 years ago but that thing was a mere plug n play. It barely took him 3min, directly plugged straight into the old connector and I have a habit of not using the screen when the ignition is off. What I can do is that I can get rid of camera totally and then check?

These are the only two mods I have done to the car - RCD 340 and headlights. Still don't know how to find the root cause before opting for battery replacement because I'm afraid that new one will be drained soon also.
Yes, best to check with the camera removed as that could be one of the possible reasons.
Second, check whether the Parking Lights of the headlights are on even when the car is off - if they are (even very mildly) they could be causing drain to battery.
The Main headlights are not powered when ignition is off - the only items which are powered on with ignition off are generally Stereo, Parking Lights and the cigarette lighter socket and the interior lights.
Old 14th August 2020, 12:05   #11817
BHPian

Quote:
Second, check whether the Parking Lights of the headlights are on even when the car is off - if they are (even very mildly) they could be causing drain to battery.
The Main headlights are not powered when ignition is off - the only items which are powered on with ignition off are generally Stereo, Parking Lights and the cigarette lighter socket and the interior lights.
Oh one more I think I should point out, the way these new headlights work is that the DRLs (which are exactly like the ones in Tiguan All Space) are turned on as soon as I turn the ignition on, if turn on the parking lights they're dimmed automatically. This is exactly what my X1 does, the BMW rings are on as soon as I unlock the car, bright when everything is off, dimmed when I turn on parking lights or headlights . But coming back to the Polo I'm pretty sure they're off when I turn the car off because I clicked a lot of pictures in the dark as well after the install and they don't look even barely lit in any pictures.
Old 14th August 2020, 20:57   #11818
BANNED

Hello everyone,

Need help and guidance. The stock headlights of the new Honda Amaze in two words are ‘Absolute Useless’ resulting two past trips dreadful. I need to upgrade them but major concern is Warranty issues.

Spoke to an electrician I know. He is suggesting to put a relay n change the stock bulbs to Osram 90/100 locally available. I also wishes I could get a little whitish light but needs to be effective too. Also don’t want to hit the expensive side.

The stock lights are some Phoenix company H4 bulb reflector type currently.

Please guide.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th August 2020 at 03:42. Reason: Typos fixed.
jacobsamu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th August 2020, 21:47   #11819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsamu View Post
He ... reflector type currently.
The option of putting in relay and Osram 100/90W bulbs is one of the most widely used solutions and from my experience in Innova and Swift, it works wonderfully. This is the most optimum upgrade possible in H4 and it wont cost you a bomb. Bulbs like Philips racing vision, Xtreme Visiton, Osram NightBreaker Laser will cost more as they are plug and play, but have a very limited life. Moreover, they wont be as effective as 100/90W bulbs. Whiter light wont work well in rainy season, its for aesthetics, but not for real world conditions. A good part is that its very easy to install/uninstall the relay kit and 100/90W bulbs, its fully reversible and can be uninstalled quickly. I got this set up for my Swift and before second service, removed the kit plus bulbs, put in stock bulbs and then installed the kit along with higher watt bulbs all at home.

I am infact in a tougher condition, recently got myself a used Honda City, it has H11 and HB3 bulbs, and no practical solution for me to upgrade to higher watt bulbs.
Old 15th August 2020, 08:20   #11820
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone used HID kit or projectors from FE Retrofit and can share some feedback about the product? It is about 5k cheaper than Morimoto (whose supply is impacted due to COVID) and carries 1 year warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks