Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 00:07   #11881
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Avoid fixing such roof mounted stuff. You can't fix it safely without a drilled fitment or welded fitment.

And, cops will stop you and fine you.

For best lighting improvement; go for 3" bixenon fog projector with 55w HID kit for best lighting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Hi Surya, thanks. I have been doing some research on high strength 3M tape so I wanted to know if anyone has used any specific type. Some are strong enough as alternatives to rivets.

Hopefully the cops in Mumbai are more lenient as I've seen countless 4x4's with roof mounted lightbars etc.

The issue with the LED lightbars is if even a few LEDs stop working the entire unit is replaced. Here I have the choice to replace the bulbs and also add two yellow bulbs for the foggy days.
Old 10th September 2020, 00:09   #11882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Since you've already got the lights you might as well install them. But in general its better not to have lights at roof level for cars. They'll blind oncoming traffic. Mounting a mix of spot and flood lights on the bumper below grille level is much more effective.

For purely off road use, flood lights at roof level are OK though.
Thanks mate. Yes i've got these and my plans are only to use them in poorly lit country roads at night or mild offroading.
I personally hate even using high beam in the city.

Lets see how they light up the road or if i need additional spots (which will be below the grille.

Cheers
krish69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 08:55   #11883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish69 View Post
Hi does anyone know a good FNG or electrician in Mumbai (pref in the Andheri W) area to install a set off roof lights I just got for my Tata Nexon (which has woeful headlights (that also need replacement) but also for short getaways where highway lights are non-existent.
Is the 1st picture showing your car with the lights placed on the roof? If yes sure looks cool. At the same time its going to blind oncoming traffic for sure & you are actually inviting trouble for yourself on undivided rural roads / state highways. A blinded oncoming driver has a high chance of hitting you too.

In addition - these are easy picks for traffic cops at each traffic signal since such mounts are illegal - especially since this cannot be properly covered when not in use unlike the bumper mounted Neolite / Hella aux lamps which can be covered.
The Nexon Etna Orange is already an attention grabbing car. But then its no "big powerful SUV of the powerful people" if you know what I mean. So cops will have interest.
Quote:
this light comes with 4 55W bulbs and a wiring (with relay and switch included).
I want a clean install without drilling or splicing wires.
Mounting such a heavy equipment with just adhesives & no drilling is nearly impossible. Also - 4x55W halogens - we are talking of a lot of heat. No adhesive will survive in the long run.

We are looking at a lot of power consumption too. Effectively you'll have 330W bulbs ON on low beam & 440W when on high beam. Add 38W further to it if you turn on the stock fog lights. I really feel thats an overkill & an avoidable load on your battery/alternator.

Agreed that you have already spent money & procured it. I still suggest you try the simple & cheap HID bixenon projector fog lights. Nexon is one of the best vehicles when it comes to installing these & these lights are one of the best upgrade one can (and should) have on the Nexon. Costs INR 7K only for the entire kit. Results are superb. (First hand experience.)
Quote:
Also, this comes with 3M tape to be fixed which is not rebust..any suggestions if i should fix it with epoxy? though that may ruin the original paint below if i ever remove this.
Yes - paint will most certainly be ruined.
Quote:
Attached is a pic.. hope you guys like it. kind of inspired by the recent Offroad nexon render. I am still hunting for a front guard which could make a bit more macho
Front guards are illegal too. And they render airbag sensors ineffective in multiple scenarios of collisions. You'll effectively be converting your fantastic 5 Star safe car into a not-so-safe car. I suggest keep safety over looks.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th September 2020 at 09:05.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:02   #11884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about the overall change in aim & focus. Not just the leveller. Doing this adjustment while keeping leveller in Position ZERO will give best results.

Alternatively; if you are satisfied with the stock throw; then better not disturb it.

Cheers & Safe Drive
Hai, one small clarification - I was just going through the Owner's manual wherein it is written that H4 12V/55W High beam + Low beam for Option 1 and H1, H11 12V/55W for Option 2. Do they mention the options here as Projector headlights (option 2) and ordinary headlights (Option 1)?
Old 10th September 2020, 11:19   #11885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Hai, one small clarification - I was just going through the Owner's manual wherein it is written that H4 12V/55W High beam + Low beam for Option 1 and H1, H11 12V/55W for Option 2. Do they mention the options here as Projector headlights (option 2) and ordinary headlights (Option 1)?
The owners' manual is common for tiago / tigor. So, it mentions for both non projector version (H4) and projector version (H11 low beam + H1 high beam).

Since you have already confirmed that your car is the projector version; you can take H11 + H1 combination.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 06:55   #11886
BHPian

Hi all. Need help with my Skoda Rapid's headlamps upgrade. The headlights are stock for Oct 2015 model and the left one is cracked. I anyway will need to replace it but my issue is with the throw. It is so poor that I avoid venturing out at night on road trips. What is the best way to make it better? Change of bulbs? I am totally like a kindergarten kid in terms of auto lighting.
Old 12th September 2020, 10:13   #11887
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
Hi all. Need help with my Skoda Rapid's headlamps upgrade. The headlights are stock for Oct 2015 model and the left one is cracked. I anyway will need to replace it but my issue is with the throw. It is so poor that I avoid venturing out at night on road trips. What is the best way to make it better? Change of bulbs?
A bulb swap will get you around 30-35% upgrade in terms of lighting. For the real-upgrade you'll need to get a proper projector retrofit done.

What is the budget allotted to this MOD?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 10:26   #11888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all. Need help with my Skoda Rapid's headlamps upgrade. The headlights are stock for Oct 2015 model and the left one is cracked. I anyway will need to replace it but my issue is with the throw. It is so poor that I avoid venturing out at night on road trips. What is the best way to make it better? Change of bulbs? I am totally like a kindergarten kid in terms of auto lighting.
To ensure proper road illumination, you can make three adjustments / settings:

• Align the headlamps correctly. You can get this done from a garage.
  • After this, you can set the throw using a setting screw on the headlamp itself. Do this on an empty stretch of straight road in the night. Keep the headlamp level one step lower than the highest. This is a DIY.
  • And while driving, you can adjust the headlamp level to reduce or enhance the throw further.

I too felt the need for better headlamps on my SX4 in past. But after doing the above adjustments, I am totally satisfied with the throw.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 12th September 2020 at 10:28.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 07:18   #11889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
To ensure proper road illumination, you can make three adjustments / settings:

• Align the headlamps correctly. You can get this done from a garage.
  • After this, you can set the throw using a setting screw on the headlamp itself. Do this on an empty stretch of straight road in the night. Keep the headlamp level one step lower than the highest. This is a DIY.
  • And while driving, you can adjust the headlamp level to reduce or enhance the throw further.
Thanks. I will definitely try that. Did not know the headlamps could be adjusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A bulb swap will get you around 30-35% upgrade in terms of lighting. For the real-upgrade you'll need to get a proper projector retrofit done.
Thanks. I do not have any budget in mind as of now. Can you suggest new bulbs which I think will be first thing I would like to try. And if you can also give an idea for projectors, which ones and a ballpark cost.

Also, I am assuming my car has normal reflectors for both high and low beam with halogen lamps, am I correct?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th September 2020 at 11:28. Reason: quote/space trimmed to reduce space
Old 13th September 2020, 09:34   #11890
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, since you have the 2015 Rapid; if its the single barrel headlight; then you have two options:
1. You can upgrade to the projector headlamp of the top end version - spares available in boodmo and other places. Just get the necessary harness from the BCM to the headlamp and you should be good to go. Then fix HID bulbs in projector low beam and use philips xtreme vision g-force bulbs in high beam.
2. You can go for HID Projector retrofit in the existing single barrel headlamp; but you should ensure that you do not use the "passing flasher" function in daytime. Because; repeated on/off will kill the HID kit.

The cost for either of these would be around 20-30k depending upon quality of material and the brands used.

Alternatively; you can use 3" bixenon fog projectors with HID kit. That should set you back by around 10-12k.

You can decide accordingly based on your budget expected future ownership duration of your 5 year old car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:45   #11891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owners' manual is common for tiago / tigor. So, it mentions for both non projector version (H4) and projector version (H11 low beam + H1 high beam).

Since you have already confirmed that your car is the projector version; you can take H11 + H1 combination.

Cheers & Safe Driving
The bulbs (H1+H11) ordered through Amazon arriving today (Placed order on 9th sept, the seller shipped the bulbs on 11th sept from Patiala and then it routed through Ludhiyana, Gurgaon, Salem, Cochin, Kannur and finally expected delivery today afternoon). Hope it will arrive without any damage.

I have one doubt - I just opened the bonnet to see the headlamp position. I could see the socket cover, but looks like only one bulb can go inside. Is that two sockets available inside the single cover or two separate sockets will be there. As such there will be one more socket cover around?

The manual clearly says low beam and then high beam bulb replacement procedure, but just only one socket cover is visible clearly. I am not able to locate two separate socket covers where we can fix both the bulbs.?

Sorry for troubling you again and again.
Old 17th September 2020, 21:38   #11892
BHPian

Greetings,

I am planning to change the fog lights on my Baleno Alpha (2016).

Options considered:

1. Change the bulb to led
2. Projector setup with HID

Need to confirm the colour temperature of HID headlights. I think it's 4300K.

Have gone through the some of the posts related to fitting of projector lights on s-cross. Will it work for Baleno too?

Need to confirm the costs also.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:34   #11893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
The bulbs (H1+H11) ordered through Amazon arriving today (Placed order on 9th sept, the seller shipped the bulbs on 11th sept from Patiala and then it routed through Ludhiyana, Gurgaon, Salem, Cochin, Kannur and finally expected delivery today afternoon). Hope it will arrive without any damage.

I have one doubt - I just opened the bonnet to see the headlamp position. I could see the socket cover, but looks like only one bulb can go inside. Is that two sockets available inside the single cover or two separate sockets will be there. As such there will be one more socket cover around?
Further to my last post, the bulbs arrived safely and all the 4 bulbs are genuine Philips. However, on the package, it is written as H11 bulbs are made in Germany, whereas H1 bulbs are made in China. Do Philips have a manufacturing facility in China?

In the meantime, managed to find both the sockets (H1 and H11), but a bit difficult to reach H11 socket. May have to remove something fixed on top of it as otherwise only two fingers can go to that position and not that easy to remove the bulbs from that socket.
Old 21st September 2020, 10:59   #11894
BANNED

I have been running 4 hella 500 100w aux lamps for over 75k kms now in my Figo 1.5D. Off late, I have been facing an issue of them getting fused frequently(within 1000kms). They usually last for upto 25,000 kms. I checked the wiring and changed the relays. The problem still persists.

What else can I check? Will issues with the aternator cause such problems?

Has anyone uphraded their alternator? Are all alternators having same mounts? Can we swap high-output alternators without elaborate fabrications or wiring modifications?
Old 21st September 2020, 19:01   #11895
BHPian

My Fiesta has H3 socket type for the front fog lamps, I do not see any H3 type HID kits online. Do I need to order a compatibility kit/socket adapter?

Most Viewed