Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 01:00   #12151
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Saw your revised post with the pictures. I do not recommend the LED fogs you have posted. They will not solve your problem as they are SPOTS. What you need is a wide beam bright light.

You can take a look at the Hella Light Bar 470 review (Hella Light Bar 470 Review) posted by Stribog. Maybe this might solve your problem without touching the original headlights.
Sirji that bar costs close to 30k. I am looking at something in 1/10th of the budget . Will an adjustable focus like the one below led solve my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Are the yellow covers bolted on using an Allen key? I want a set. But I dont want spot. How is the beam pattern for flood? I will wire it only for flood.
Nope these covers are rubber ones but they shouln't fall as they will form a gasket, if you are worried on that front. Just type HJG 60W lights on youtube to get more info. Do not know much about spot and wide beam.
Additionally there is a model of these HJG lights which can be manually adjusted for their spot or wide beams.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-432.png
Old 10th September 2021, 22:20   #12152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Sirji that bar costs close to 30k. I am looking at something in 1/10th of the budget .
Additionally there is a model of these HJG lights which can be manually adjusted for their spot or wide beams.
You can look at lesser costing variants of a light bar.

With regard to the adjustable fog you have mentioned, how will you zoom in or zoom out from inside the car? The image does not indicate it to be motorised. Additionally, if you zoom out then you risk blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 13th September 2021, 20:23   #12153
BHPian

Hello folks

I am looking for advice for my Civic. The headlight reflectors have faded and the high beam is falling below low beam. Will getting the current reflectors buffed and polished solve the problem? Also I enquired about few projector set ups and I have been given an option of going for Taiwan made complete light set up. How good or bad are these lights over stock set up? I find these lights little too flashy for my liking though. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 14th September 2021, 17:45   #12154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I'm 100% not tinkering with the headlights, the halogen swap was just a thought and it been consigned to the bin. I am actively thinking of bi-xenon projector setup for the fog lamps.
I have got in touch with Blaze India, they have a AES set for 8K. I need to decide in the coming weeks. They have the HID's in 4300K available.
Hi Hiren,
Did you finally get the fogs.
My altis fog lamps don't work ( added aftermarket by previous owner).
Look forward to changing them to bi-xenons
Old 14th September 2021, 20:29   #12155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi Hiren,
Did you finally get the fogs.
My altis fog lamps don't work ( added aftermarket by previous owner).
Look forward to changing them to bi-xenons
Hello Vikram,
I never got around to it, now that you have asked this has piqued my interest again.
Are you also planning to go the bi-xenons?

Regards,
Hiren
Old 14th September 2021, 22:27   #12156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello Vikram,
I never got around to it, now that you have asked this has piqued my interest again.
Are you also planning to go the bi-xenons?

Regards,
Hiren
Yes sir.
My car has aftermarket fog lamps with a switch in terrible shape. So have to replace them with something even for the sake of aesthetics.

I drive a lot of highway & bad roads so looking for something good. I am a noob at electricals and all I could understand from this thread is that bi- xenons by blaze india is the right choice.
Old 15th September 2021, 16:38   #12157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I drive a lot of highway & bad roads so looking for something good. I am a noob at electricals and all I could understand from this thread is that bi- xenons by blaze india is the right choice.
It definitely is one of the best options for lighting upgrade. Just before you go ahead - do ensure that your car has 3" diameter circular fog-lamp housings. I'm pretty sure it does. But what you should also check is - whether there is about 5-6 inch clearance behind the housing for the projector and wiring to fit. Some cars have the wheel well splash guard too close on the inside of the fog lamp. Some have windshield washer fluid bottles, some have air-intake plumbing etc, behind the fog light mounts. Check for available space and then you can order bi-xenon projectors with HID lighting.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 10:12   #12158

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My car has factory Led lighting, which is pure white. It's horrid in most places, but especially so on the expressway. A lot of people are suggesting to put light yellow film on the glass of the headlights to bring the temperature lower. Does that help in any manner?
That's the extent of my dissatisfaction, that I am willing to try this on a new car. It's a Hector.
Hi Mayankk, I am too sailing in the same boat. I have raise complaint for the same with MG but they first want me to check with MG ASS to check (and confirm) if the problem really exist. The engineers at ASS told me that they have been hearing this problem since long (not sure why MG is taking dirt nap on this)
There is no option to change the assembly to the base variants (style) projectors due to CANBUS issues. Also no option to go for Hella light bars without voiding the warranty
Old 16th September 2021, 10:24   #12159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No man that just reduces the light output . You should explore adding an Aux driving light for the highway trips.
Addition of AUX lights is not an option in Hector without voiding the warranty. This is especially applicable to those who have opted for MG Shield.

Last edited by Prat33k : 16th September 2021 at 10:54.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:06   #12160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prat33k View Post
Addition of AUX lights is not an option in Hector without voiding the warranty. This is especially applicable to those who have opted for MG Shield.
You will not mess with any wiring whatsoever, so question them until they give you a technical explanation as to how an aux light that draws power from your battery and not use any of the car's electrical circuit would void the warranty.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:05   #12161
BHPian

Guys, please help I have one doubt.

I just got the iPhcar projector fog lamp for my car (Baleno Alpha model comes with fog lamps). It looks like it is just a projector without a bulb. Also the wiring diagram in the box shows some ballast and other connections.

Do I need to purchase bulb, ballast and other connectors separately? The contents of the box are: Projector as shown below, some clamps and bolts. The projector comes with a couple of wires.

p.s I have zero knowledge on this subject.

Contents (screenshot from the website)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-contents.png

-----------
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_7906.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_7907.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_7908.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_7909.jpg

This is the one I got:
https://carhatke.com/iphcar-bi-xenon...-for-fog-light

Last edited by amvj : 19th September 2021 at 19:07.
Old 19th September 2021, 19:16   #12162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys, please help I have one doubt.

I just got the iPhcar projector fog lamp for my car (Baleno Alpha model comes with fog lamps). It looks like it is just a projector without a bulb. Also the wiring diagram in the box shows some ballast and other connections.

4[/ATTACH]

This is the one I got:
https://carhatke.com/iphcar-bi-xenon...-for-fog-light
Read up, and I think you can use h8/11 halogens with it. The wiring shown is for HID, you have to draw the connection for electricity as well as a connection from the switch for high low beam where it connects with the main headlight. This is not a DIY for you, but any mechanic can do this job for a pittance. Your extra cost will be for a pair of bulbs and the labour charges.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:25   #12163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Read up, and I think you can use h8/11 halogens with it. The wiring shown is for HID, you have to draw the connection for electricity as well as a connection from the switch for high low beam where it connects with the main headlight...
My bad. I thought the product comes with everything. Any suggestions for good bulb? I am thinking about going for LED over halogen.

Are halogen projector any good ? Skoda Rapid comes with Halogen projector and many say they are not good.

A quick Amazon search reveals some bulbs from brands which I know.

Halogen
Philips H11 12362 X-treme vision G force
Osram 64211NBU-01B Night Breaker Bulb

LED
OSRAM H8/H11/ H16 46211CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)
Old 19th September 2021, 21:13   #12164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
My bad. I thought the product comes with everything. Any suggestions for good bulb? I am thinking about going for LED over halogen.

Are halogen projector any good ? Skoda Rapid comes with Halogen projector and many say they are not good.

A quick Amazon search reveals some bulbs from brands which I know.

Halogen
Philips H11 12362 X-treme vision G force
Osram 64211NBU-01B Night Breaker Bulb

LED
OSRAM H8/H11/ H16 46211CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)

The unit seems to be all metal, you can go with 100w maybe. Since it's bixenon, there will be a good cutoff also, so shouldn't blind oncoming people. Try cheap lower wattage bulbs first. Since it's a secondary light, it need not be too high. If you still want to go for higher wattage like 100,then you can spend for better bulbs and a relay too. I cannot recommend leds because I find them useless and just a pain for other people if they're not factory fitted.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:17   #12165
BHPian

Re: Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Quote:
Well, I know this would have been discussed somewhere in the forum but, in my opinion, there is too much information on this topic to get a clear answer. (Problem with Internet and the overload of information of all types)

I will ask this question in the most basic form I can and would request experienced fellows to provide a solution.

I have a 2006 Honda city ZX with 60/55W haloogen lights. Obviously, the lighting is pathetic. I tried 100/90W bulbs for some years with all components Phillips or Osram, the bulbs got fused every two months and I finally threw the whole thing out in the end.
I am back on 60/55 W bulbs but atleast they don't fuse in the middle of highway drives. They seem to be working fine and I will not touch the original headlights in an old car

Now the problem:
I dread driving at night or in rainy/foggy conditions. Need better lighting of any type ( LED/ HID/halogen/bla bla etc)

Requirements:
1 good light on highways , fog, rains
2 do not want to touch original headlights in the old car
3 Do not want to spend much on an old car

Solutions:
Did my research and basically got more confused after it than before. I know all the technicalities of Halogen,LED,HID,projectors ,reflectors but do not have a solution. But still here are some which make some sense atleast:

1 High power 60/55W bulbs like the ones below- I know they will not be much better but something is better than nothing and these things are just Rs 635 ( How are they so cheap. I remember they used to cost about Rs 1500)

2 HJG fog lights: Although they will look a little weird one on a sedan but then I want light without spending much. One of the great things they have yellow covers. That solves my purpose of white light on normal days and yellow in rains. Cost Rs 3500

3 LED lights which can go yellow and white: Numerous chinese ones, but hey , they go from yellow to white and viceversa at a flick of a button. Will have to go to a local accessories market at night and pick a pair after testing. Cost: Rs 2000

Will any one of the above serve my purpose?
If not, can you guys suggest something else?
Quote:
With regard to the 100/90W bulb that you tried, did you use the proper relay and holder? Asking since it is not mentioned in your post. Upgrading to higher wattage halogen bulbs does require using the proper relay and holder.

Now coming to your options:
1. There is nothing called high power 60/55W bulbs. If any manufacturer is claiming better output at the same 60/55W then it is just hogwash. Only option is to go for higher wattage.

2. Fog lights are an option but they will be expensive.

3. LED bulbs in reflectors will cause more problems rather than solve anything. Currently available LED bulbs are not made for reflectors. You will struggle to get proper focus and will also blind oncoming vehicles.

My advice, re-try the 100/90W halogen bulb option with the proper relays and holders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Wanderin Nomad,

I can feel your pain bro. Been there, felt that!!

1. Give the 90/100W halogens one more chance. Ensure you buy an original Philips or Hella wiring loom with relays. Ensure the bulb holders are ceramic else you are wasting your time. Fit Philips Rallye 90/100W bulbs only. Ensure you have a proper earthing connection.

2. Please do NOT waste money on Philips Extreme Vision or Extreme Vision Plus or Osram Night Breakers. The bulbs cost a lot and hardly give 5% better lighting.

3. If you have 3 inch round fog lights, why not change the entire unit and fit 3 inch round Bi-Xenons with dipper facility. Cost is about 6 to 7K but worth every rupee. Available from Blaze India.

4. Another option similar to above is by a Company called FE Retrofit. Price is about 12K and they give a brilliant spread of light. On the downside, I hear that their Customer service is not quite upto the mark.

Regards,
SS
Quote:
Guys reposting my query, forgot to add proper images to explain my options ina better way:

Well, I know this would have been discussed somewhere in the forum but, in my opinion, there is too much information on this topic to get a clear answer. (Problem with Internet and the overload of information of all types)

I will ask this question in the most basic form I can and would request experienced fellows to provide a solution.

I have a 2006 Honda city ZX with 60/55W haloogen lights. Obviously, the lighting is pathetic. I tried 100/90W bulbs for some years with all components Phillips or Osram, the bulbs got fused every two months and I finally threw the whole thing out in the end.
I am back on 60/55 W bulbs but atleast they don't fuse in the middle of highway drives. They seem to be working fine and I will not touch the original headlights in an old car

Now the problem:
I dread driving at night or in rainy/foggy conditions. Need better lighting of any type ( LED/ HID/halogen/bla bla etc)

Requirements:
1 good light on highways , fog, rains
2 do not want to touch original headlights in the old car
3 Do not want to spend much on an old car

Solutions:
Did my research and basically got more confused after it than before. I know all the technicalities of Halogen,LED,HID,projectors ,reflectors but do not have a solution. But still here are some which make some sense atleast

1 High power 60/55W bulbs like the ones below- I know they will not be much better but something is better than nothing and these things are just Rs 635 ( How are they so cheap. I remember they used to cost about Rs 1500)

Attachment 2204742

2 HJG fog lights: Although they will look a little weird one on a sedan but then I want light without spending much. One of the great things they have yellow covers. That solves my purpose of white light on normal days and yellow in rains. Cost Rs 3500

Attachment 2204741

3 LED lights which can go yellow and white: Numerous chinese ones, but hey , they go from yellow to white and viceversa at a flick of a button. Will have to go to a local accessories market at night and pick a pair after testing. Cost: Rs 2000

Attachment 2204740

Will any one of the above serve my purpose?
If not, can you guys suggest something else?
Quote:
1 Thanks for the help and saving me Rs 650.

2 Yes Fog lights are preferred by me too since I do not want to touch the original lights in a 15 year old car. Leads to unnecessary issues.
Any idea about the HJG lights I have posted in my revised post. At Rs 3000, they look pretty useful for my purpose.

3 I was talking about LED fogs. Have a look at my revised post.

Have tried 100/90 bulbs setup twice. This was with original Hella/Phillips harness and relay. Tried both phillips/osram rally bulbs with the same. After multiple bulb failures, ended up throwing the entire thing. Repeated the same after some time and have recently thrown them away few months back. I know it must be running perfectly in some cars, but it does not suit some cars. I have had a similar experience in my bro in law's santro. By the way both times used them for a year at least and there was nodamage to reflectors.

1 Have tried 100/90 bulbs setup twice. This was with original Hella/Phillips harness and relay. Tried both phillips/osram rally bulbs with the same. After multiple bulb failures, ended up throwing the entire thing. Repeated the same after some time and have recently thrown them away few months back. I know it must be running perfectly in some cars, but it does not suit some cars. I have had a similar experience in my bro in law's santro. By the way both times used them for a year at least and there was nodamage to reflectors.

Stated above, Do not know if they were with ceramic bulb holders.

2 Thanks. saved me time and money.

3 I think these are Iph projectors. Seems good but don't want to spend 6-7k on an old car. I am sure something like this will be available for 2-3k which is OK for me. There are so many videos on Youtube that it is difficult to make sense out of them.Have a look at the ones I have posted above.
Quote:
Saw your revised post with the pictures. I do not recommend the LED fogs you have posted. They will not solve your problem as they are SPOTS. What you need is a wide beam bright light.

You can take a look at the Hella Light Bar 470 review (Hella Light Bar 470 Review) posted by Stribog. Maybe this might solve your problem without touching the original headlights.
Just to update, went to a local accessories guy in Gurgaon and upgraded to Hella harness 130/100. I already had osram 100/90 bulbs and used them.

I know I started this post asking for a pair of aux lights. So here's what happened.
1 The shop keeper advised against any protruding fog lights due to frequent challans in Delhi NCR. Seemed logical since this is a 15 year Uttarakhand registered car, with valid RC of course, running on NCR roads, unwanted trouble should be avoided at all costs.

2 He told me to put 130/100 W bulbs with harness and as described before I had horrible experience with this experience with them twice before. I had the previous harness still connected to my car although I was not using it and had switched to 60/55 bulbs on OE wiring harness. He checked the harness and surprisingly told me that it is a duplicate phillips so was bound to have such issues. He brought the original harness ( from a original looking box) and showed me the differences. Frankly, there was a difference in quality although even my harness had phillips written all over.

He advised to put an original harness and try. He installed a Hella harness ( seemed original the harness as well as the box ) and advised me to put 130/100 bulbs. However, I was scared that the heat would damage the headlights and asked him to put in the osram 100/90, which I already had in my glovebox. I know they don't damage the headlights since I have used them for some years.

Have driven the car almost 1000 km since then and frankly my problem is 75% resolved. Let's see if these 100/90 setup gives any trouble. This will be my third try.

For the remaining 25%, I was told that this car can't be fitted with Iph projectors. Hence I may explore fitting the OE fog lamps in the bumper space provided, and explore the various H11 /H8 bulb options I can use with them. Any advise will be welcome.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-458.png
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed