Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 22:52   #12451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Hello !

I am planning to upgrade the bulbs in the projector setup of my 2021 Venue SX Plus DCT with Excelite 12V 100W , stock ones are 12V 60W. It will be a plug and Play swap.

Do you see any concern regarding excess heating , wiring failures etc ?

Where can i find official maximum recommended power ratings for the bulb ?
You will need a relay with ceramic holders for sure. Just curious why you went the 100w route rather than HIDs that most people go for ?
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 08:01   #12452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
You will need a relay with ceramic holders for sure. Just curious why you went the 100w route rather than HIDs that most people go for ?
I was under the impression that swapping the same type of bulb with higher wattage wouldn’t require a relay or any additional tunings. I clearly need to read more in this !
Old 9th November 2022, 15:19   #12453
BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that swapping the same type of bulb with higher wattage wouldn’t require a relay or any additional tunings. I clearly need to read more in this !
Higher wattage under most circumstances lead to higher heat production = holders giving up.

Will it not be prudent to go for a HID set-up?
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 19:19   #12454

Hey BHPians,

I am looking for Low and High beam upgrades for my Tata Nexon 2021 in LED, please suggest what will go best.

Requirements:

1. Around 6000K colour temperature.
2. It should get proper space to circulate its air as in some cases I have seen the inside black cap of Nexon's headlight cover, barely fits due to oversized heatsinks and fan.
3. Both sets should be around 55W each (same as the stock one if I am not wrong)
4. Budget, not more than 4.5K INR.
5. If I can purchase it online it would be great (Whatsapp Business will also work for me).

Thank you!
Old 12th November 2022, 07:49   #12455
Senior - BHPian

Hi @Behemoth and All,

Which HID kit should be the best fit for SKODA RAPID BI-XENON projectors ? There is no separate HIGH beam. Both the High and Low beams are in the same projector.

Please advise.

Regards,
F150
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 08:40   #12456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hi @Behemoth and All,

Which HID kit should be the best fit for SKODA RAPID BI-XENON projectors ? There is no separate HIGH beam. Both the High and Low beams are in the same projector.

Please advise.

Regards,
F150
Is your car already having Xenon HID projectors or are they halogens ? If they are already HID, the bulb type would probably be D3S bulbs (please check in your owner manual). If this is the case, you have very few options and you can maybe substitute your HID bulb with something like this:
https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...-d-series-led/

But even with this the performance improvement may be marginal.

If your car has Halogen bulbs in projectors then your Bulb might be HB3 type, which you can upgrade with a DHB3 kit from Osram or Uglare. That will give you 2.5 x performance improvement over Halogen.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 12:21   #12457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Is your car already having Xenon HID projectors or are they halogens ?

If your car has Halogen bulbs in projectors then your Bulb might be HB3 type, which you can upgrade with a DHB3 kit from Osram or Uglare. That will give you 2.5 x performance improvement over Halogen.
Current ones are halogen. Replaced stock bulbs with osram night breakers. Thanks a lot for the advice. I am not sure about the current bulb size, I think they are H4. I tried calling near by shops and they are pushing DHC, AUZOOM and Hamman HID. Philips HID are discontinued and OSRAM HID are difficult to source.

I have ruled out LED due to 270 degree coverage instead of 360 degree mentioned by you in one of the
posts.

Please advise.

Regards,
F150

Last edited by F150 : 12th November 2022 at 12:29.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 13:33   #12458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Current ones are halogen. Replaced stock bulbs with osram night breakers. Thanks a lot for the advice. I am not sure about the current bulb size, I think they are H4. I tried calling near by shops and they are pushing DHC, AUZOOM and Hamman HID. Philips HID are discontinued and OSRAM HID are difficult to source.

I have ruled out LED due to 270 degree coverage instead of 360 degree mentioned by you in one of the
posts.

Please advise.

Regards,
F150
If they are Projector headlamp units. The bulb type is most likely is HB3 (please check your owner manual). If they are HB3 you can go for the below kit from Amazon

Osram DHB3 4200K HID Conversation Kit Generation 2 Headlight Bulb (12V, 35W) https://amzn.eu/d/9OHG4MG

This is in 4200K CCT
but before you order, please make sure that your Bulb type is HB3.
H4 is used generally only in Reflector based headlamp units and never in Projector based ones.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 15:37   #12459
BHPian

Quote:
If they are Projector headlamp units. The bulb type is most likely is HB3 (please check your owner manual). If they are HB3 you can go for the below kit from Amazon

Osram DHB3 4200K HID Conversation Kit Generation 2 Headlight Bulb (12V, 35W) https://amzn.eu/d/9OHG4MG

This is in 4200K CCT
but before you order, please make sure that your Bulb type is HB3.
H4 is used generally only in Reflector based headlamp units and never in Projector based ones.
How do we handle the car warranty after installing HID kits? Have any of you folks faced issues after installing these LED or HID bulbs/kits?
Old 18th November 2022, 15:50   #12460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
How do we handle the car warranty after installing HID kits? Have any of you folks faced issues after installing these LED or HID bulbs/kits?
With these HID kits, the connection is with the H11 connector in the car wiring harness and as long as you do not cut or tap the car wiring harness, there should not be any issue. The only irreversible change you need to do is drill a hole in the headlight cap.
Just to be safe in case of any warranty issue, you can order aftermarket headlight caps and remove the entire HID kit if required if you car faces any issue.
But if you are using a good quality HID kit , they will not cause any issue.
In my case I have installed 35W HID kits in my Skoda Laura and my Jeep Compass myself. In the Laura it was working for over 6 years (till I sold the car) and in my Jeep Compass it has been working well of 4 years now. The Life of HID bulbs is also over 10,000 hours and they don't fuse easily. I had only one HID bulb fuse in my Laura after 3 years, that too when my wife drove the car fast through a pothole.

I am also not in favour of using Relay wiring kits as they are not required with 35w/55w kits and the car harness can easily take the HID current load. With relay wiring kits the risk of bad workmanship causing loose connection or short circuit is high.

With LED bulbs, even this is not required and the LED bulb is fitted inside the headlamp housing easily.
However in my personal experience LED bulbs do not give a good beam and spread and HIDs are much better (for projector headlights)
LEDs are only good in purpose built projector headlight units which are designed for that purpose - Like IPH / Aes projectors

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th November 2022 at 15:53.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 19:00   #12461
BHPian

Quote:
With LED bulbs, even this is not required and the LED bulb is fitted inside the headlamp housing easily.
However in my personal experience LED bulbs do not give a good beam and spread and HIDs are much better (for projector headlights)
LEDs are only good in purpose built projector headlight units which are designed for that purpose - Like IPH / Aes projectors
So If i replace stock 60W halogen bulb inside the projector setup of my venue with 100W halogens, will it cause holder malfunction due to excess heat ?
Instead , if I go with 100W LEDs , it will hold without any issue?
Considering Both will be plug and play installation without relays or additional wiring.
Old 19th November 2022, 20:03   #12462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So If i replace stock 60W halogen bulb inside the projector setup of my venue with 100W halogens, will it cause holder malfunction due to excess heat ?
Instead , if I go with 100W LEDs , it will hold without any issue?
Considering Both will be plug and play installation without relays or additional wiring.
Yes with 100w halogens it will cause your reflector and Housing to spoil prematurely. Halogen bulbs give off 80% of the wattage as heat and only 20% is converted to light. Also the additional current drain may damage your wiring too.

With LEDS - you can never have 100w per bulb leds in such a small form factor. The wattage they quote is for both bulbs together. Till date I have also seen very few LED bulbs which are 50W real consumption. In reality they are barely 25-30w . The figures on the boxes are completely fake. The real figures are put only by companies like Osram where they mention the bulbs as 25W.
Leds give off 80% energy as Light and only 20% is dissipated as heat.
In terms of lumen efficacy, LEDs are currently around 120Lum/W (system efficacy)
While Halogens are around 25Lum/Watt.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th November 2022 at 20:15.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:22   #12463
BHPian

Hello !

I’ve ordered Novsight N52 Series 9005 HB3 LEDs directly from the brand. I believe the package will be shipped from China and would take 15-20 days to arrive.

Specs are as below-

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-7d7b853dbf794a00b44194339f3b8fc4.jpeg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3b59d80939e2462e8ab42cff5a287329.jpeg

As @Behemoth explained earlier, Lumen rating might be inflated and real world figure would be around 14000 Lumens/Pair.

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 21st November 2022 at 22:28.
Old 29th November 2022, 08:36   #12464
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I wanted to install projector fog lamps for my WagonR LXI 2007 model as I feel with headlamps this might help in better visibility for tours I would be taking. Please suggest good fog lamps and where I can procure it offline/online in Bangalore. Many thanks.
Ramki
Old 29th November 2022, 09:07   #12465
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

Many of us have been searching for LED bulbs in 4300K CCT and recently I came across an Indian company (probably Importer) selling 4300K Led bulbs. (i have no connection with them and have not used their products )
They are based in Mumbai and it may be worthwhile for Mumbai based TBHPians to talk to them and explore their product. The design of the product looks good.
https://www.dhcindia.com/f55-car-led.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks