Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 09:07   #12496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Has anyone fitted the IPH M617 three colour fog lights on their car? If so, could you please give some feedback. How effective are they? How easy to fit? Useful in rain / fog etc.? I understand the price is between 6 to 7k depending where you buy hem from with an additional 1k for 1 year warranty.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Yes I have them fitted in my Jeep Compass (pre facelift) and they are quite good. They are the tri-colour ones and can generate 2700k, 4300k and 6000k. The good thing is that the size is 3inch and they fit perfectly in place of the OE fog lights. In my case I have just made them permanent high beam by combining the wires and added an H11 female connector so that I did not have to cut or splice any wire in the harness. I have aimed the lights so that there is no glare to any oncomers.
Old 12th February 2023, 11:59   #12497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes I have them fitted in my Jeep Compass (pre facelift) and they are quite good. They are the tri-colour ones and can generate 2700k, 4300k and 6000k. The good thing is that the size is 3inch and they fit perfectly in place of the OE fog lights. In my case I have just made them permanent high beam by combining the wires and added an H11 female connector so that I did not have to cut or splice any wire in the harness. I have aimed the lights so that there is no glare to any oncomers.
Hi Behemoth,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

A couple of points to clarify please :

1. How do you scroll through the three colours? By pressing the fog light switch on and off three times?

2. How did you "aim" the lights? As far as I can see they are pretty much fixed and sealed units.

3. Would it be a problem if I used a Scotch connector and tapped into the high beam wire?

Many Thanks,
SS
Old 12th February 2023, 12:37   #12498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Behemoth,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. How do you scroll through the three colours? By pressing the fog light switch on and off three times?

2. How did you "aim" the lights? As far as I can see they are pretty much fixed and sealed units.

3. Would it be a problem if I used a Scotch connector and tapped into the high beam wire?

Many Thanks,
SS
1) to change the colour you need to toggle the fog light switch on/off within 1 sec and it changes to the next colour. It starts always in 6000k, next is 2700k and then 4300k. In 4300k there is a slight tinge of 2700k on the upper part of the beam due to the specific position of the leds in the housing.

2) the metal bracket is fixed onto the housing with allen bolts and these bolts when loose allow you to make minor adjustments up and down. Once done you can tighten them to fix the beam.

3) that is a personal choice. If you are ok with scotch taps to tap your high beam wire, you can go for it. But it will affect your warranty. In my case I did not want to do that and hence made it plug and play in permanent high beam mode. The high beam of the fog lights reaches only 70m so it is not an issue.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 15:48   #12499
BHPian

Quote:

Few further points might help, in addition to Behemoth's reply.

Q1. How do you scroll through the three colours? By pressing the fog light switch on and off three times?
A1. Behemoth has answered this already. The IPH M617 Kelvin numbers however are 3000K, 4300K and 5500K respectively (not 2700K or 6000K)

Q2. How did you "aim" the lights? As far as I can see they are pretty much fixed and sealed units.
A2. See this short video for aiming fog lights:

Q3. Would it be a problem if I used a Scotch connector and tapped into the high beam wire?
A3. I did exactly the same: used a scotch lock and tapped into the high beam wire. Also tapped into the parking light wire to ensure the fog lamps would turn on only if at least parking lights (or main headlights) are on. I decided to refrain from using high beams only. Why did I do this? For 2 important reasons:

3a) Fog lampss these days are so powerful, that many of us turn on only fog lamps, forgetting to turn on the headlights. This is disastrous as in such a case, rear lights would not turn on and you risk getting rear-ended. Tapping into parking lights will ensure this is avoided. If I (or my wife or any driver of my car) wants to turn on fog lamps, we will be forced to turn on parking lights at least, which will also turn on the rear lights. A very safe combo!

3b) Mr. Amit from Blaze India (IPH M617 seller) suggested to not use high beams permanently. This is because it will draw continous extra power due to solenoid having to work, to expose more light required for the high beam function (which translates to mechanical energy being constantly wasted). With some tweaks (see the video in point 2), you can aim the low beam itself to a respectable elevation without blinding the oncoming drivers and reserve high beam for occasional high beam usage.

I was so annoyed with Honda's apathy on that front, that I decided to not care much about warranty, as driving without fog lamps was getting scary under several circumstances (the CRM lady had the audacity to say that we have lakhs of happy customers who have never had a problem with the stock lighting setup. I felt like telling her "antaryami ho aap")

If you do not want to tap into the wiring even using scotch locks, that is fine but I would recommend you to use low beam of your fog lamps (which is good enough) rather than using high beam for default. In my case, I had to ensure the fog lamp is as outside of its casing as possible, for the low beam to spread respectably horizontally, while maintaining a very fine cut off at say 16". Attached picture will speak for itself.

Few more points: 5500K setting is the generally the best in clear weather except when you need yellowness (especially with oncoming vehicles with yellow high beams ), in which case 4300K is probably the next best. 3000K looks quite good but the intensity is a lot less. But hopefully that would serve just well in the fog (a very debatable topic though, as many experts say that colour temperature has nothing to do with ability to see in the fog). But overall, I am quite satisfied with my purchase and am at peace of mind regarding any requirement of taking the car out in all weather conditions. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-iph-m617.jpeg  

Last edited by jaysheth : 12th February 2023 at 15:51.
jaysheth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:09   #12500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Few further points might help, in addition to Behemoth's reply.
A1. Behemoth has answered this already. The IPH M617 Kelvin numbers however are 3000K, 4300K and 5500K respectively (not 2700K or 6000K)
Actually I have worked in the lighting industry and have worked quite a lot on product development too. The colour temperature of the IPH M617 in yellow mode is very golden yellow and this colour is around 2500k-2600k - It is the golden yellow light you see specially in fog lights CCT. 3000k is a different colour which you see in warm floodlights.
On the cool temperature it is also close to 6000k.
Irrespective of what these Chinese companies write on the boxes, the actual specs are often different!
But the good thing is that the product is good and apt for usage in foggy conditions too. Otherwise in normal usage for black top roads, the cool white is effective.

On the additional current drain for the High beam, this is only the 5w additional which the solenoid draws. The IPH617 are single LED Chip design with single reflector. There is no dedicated HIgh beam led chip. The total draw of the Led is 30w and solenoid draw is 5W.
In the sealed housing design you will not find double LED and reflector designs as most have them have only passive cooling elements through heatsink (without fan), while in open housing projectors with fan (which are meant for installation inside headlights) you can have double LEDs and reflectors (similar to the Osram CBI Pro which I got installed in my Hector)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20221227_193216.jpg

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th February 2023 at 10:18.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 13:36   #12501
Senior - BHPian

Talking of IPH, here's mine 3 color ones on my Thar. Works as driving lights hence no need to switch on main Headlights.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20220303_182158.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20220303_182328.jpg
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:41   #12502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Talking of IPH, here's mine 3 color ones on my Thar. Works as driving lights hence no need to switch on main Headlights.
Sorry to inform you with some bad news but that is extremely dangerous and terrible driving practice. I really don’t know when everyone will start to realise that Fog lights are only supposed to be used when, you guessed it, there is FOG.

They are not supposed to be used as replacements for headlights. It’s really quite simple. As members of this forum we should promote safe and proper driving practices and nothing less than this.

In fact in the large majority of countries around the world, if you use your Fog lights when there is no Fog, you will be pulled over by the police and fined and could even be penalised further with points for this terrible driving practice.

All fellow members please take note and apply!
Old 14th February 2023, 12:28   #12503
BHPian

This hopefully should help some of you who have older Maruti's that use this foglight (A lot of them do) and who want better illumination without blinding the guy on the opposite side of the road, or like Bangalore driving on the same side as you.

This DIY started out as an exercise to clean and adjust my 15 year old OE fogs since I was blind driving in the dark even with 4300K HID's in the fogs (yeah, Bangalore is that bad).

The first step was to get the bumper off and thanks to Boodmo's OE catalogue figured out the location of the Screws, Clips, and Bolts. I didn't want to remove the whole bumper as I had no idea how easy or tough it was going to be to put it back, so I started out removing stuff from one side and under the hood and voila managed to pull the bumper and create enough space to reach the fogs. The stock fog assembly is held in place with 3 Phillip's screws which was easy peasy to remove. The inside of the projectors had a fine film of dust which I first cleaned with a brush followed by a solution of diluted IPA. Feeling very pleased with myself I fitted back the first fog and repeated the steps on the other fog. Now to adjust these stupid fogs one needs to have a really long star screwdriver which goes through a tiny hole in the bottom of the bumper and if you have the luck of the Irish find the adjustment screw. It was only after swearing for a good 15 minutes that I figured out a much simpler way. The fogs are covered with a black trim piece from the front that pops out if you lever it from one side exposing a lather large hole from which one can either use a stubby screwdriver or use ones fingers as a guide to for the long screwdriver to work from below. Long story short, I managed to adjust my fogs to the point where I could see clearly but when I stepped out and looked at my car I was completely blinded by the overpowering fogs (sorry, forgot to take a pic).

Stupid me then realized I had a spare set of Sinolyn Projectors that I had bought for my Linea, never used and stored away that I could maybe use if the supplied bracket matched the mounting holes in the bumper. So out came the Sinolyns, out came the bumper (again) and out came one fog assembly to check if the bracket would work. Superimposing the metal bracket on the OE foglight was a thank God moment, it was going to mount without any 'juggad'.

Once I knew that the bracket would fit adrenalin managed to get both projector fogs installed and aligned in 30 mins.

Tips:

1. Assemble the Bracket and Projector Fog assembly outside and then install. The Bracket I had could be fitted in a few ways so I checked which one suited my mounting points best and had the end of the projector sitting outside the external plastic trim for easy adjustment and also it looked better this way.

2. You will need to shave off two tabs on the bumper that slide into the OE fog. I did that with a heated blade cutter and made sure the bracket would sit on a smooth surface

3. I tightened the screws between projector and bracket fully but made sure that it had enough 'give' to be adjusted from outside with my hand.

I will now let the pics do the talking.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-oefog-35500m75j11.jpg
This is the standard fog that is used in several Marutis
Part # 35500M75J11 (Boodmo)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-boodmobumper.jpg
Screws, Bolts and clips that need to be removed to remove the bumper. Also need to remove 4 clips that hold the fender liner in place (Credit : Boodmo)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-pfbracket.jpg
The Tabs on both sides that need to be cut for the bracket to fit flush

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-oldfog-2.jpg
Adjusted throw of the OE fogs with 4300K HIDs

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p-fog-3.jpg
Adjusted throw of the Projector fogs with 4300K HIDs

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p-fogs-1.jpg
I was jumping with joy when I saw this cutoff line

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-pf.jpg
Closeup of the how the fog fits

Attachment 2418640
Intensity of the fogs with parking light on
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p-fog-2.jpg  

keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 21:33   #12504
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Do NOT post the same message on multiple threads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2023 at 09:29.
Adrian Stephens is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:37   #12505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
I have recently got a 10" Black Oak LED light bar- 100W 20 x 5W Osram LEDs from US... So do give it another thought before you get it in India.
Although I understand white light or higher colour temperature is not much use in fog/rain, I heard Black Oak LEDs are extremely popular around the globe for their sheer quality. Would you please let me know the current procedure for importing them to India? Does the Black Oak website provide an option to select an Indian address for shipping? Does their logistic service handle all the customs clearance process for doorstep delivery?
Old 23rd February 2023, 20:45   #12506

Hi all,

I recently bought a used Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Rider Plus variant (2021 make). The Rider Plus variant comes with a single barrel Halogen headlight setup with an H4 bulb doing the duty for both Low and high beams. Also, there are no fog lamps on this variant.

During a recent drive, I noticed that the light throw, both in the low and high beams is quite underwhelming. This is quite limiting on an otherwise great-driving car. I had to maintain speeds under 80 kmph due to bad visibility. This was on a 4-lane highway, I can't imagine how bad this would be on a 2-lane road.

I have been driving on highways for over a decade and a half in cars having only halogen headlights, and never really felt the need to upgrade to higher-powered halogens or HIDs or LEDs, etc. (barring my old gen Ford Figo).

I really feel the headlights on the Rapid Rider are underpowered and call for an upgrade to better lights/lamps. Since the car is under warranty, I am looking for something that does not impact the warranty.

I have read through a lot of posts on this thread, but still not clear what should be done.

While I assume this can be addressed in multiple ways, I prefer not to do the below.

1. White LED lights (they are quite blinding for the oncoming traffic)
2. Change the whole headlight assembly (from a cost perspective)
3. Retrofit projectors in the existing assembly (unless there is a way to do it without impacting the warranty)

I guess the above will limit my options, but again I am expecting something adequate and not extraordinary.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Ps: I am not much into accessories or modifications. So pointers towards shops/dealers who can do this in Hyderabad will be helpful too.
boombox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:13   #12507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
....a single barrel Halogen headlight setup with an H4 bulb doing the duty for both Low and high beams
1. White LED lights (they are quite blinding for the oncoming traffic)
2. Change the whole headlight assembly (from a cost perspective)
3. Retrofit projectors in the existing assembly (unless there is a way to do it without impacting the warranty)

I guess the above will limit my options, but again I am expecting something adequate and not extraordinary.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
I think the Osram 50Watt 4200K bulbs might be the right option for you.
https://www.planetcarcare.com/collec...00k-6000k-pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
I reached out to their support email and got confirmation that these 4200K/6000K are two variants of the 50w led.

They shared this reference image. Attachment 2426841

I am glad to have a 4200K option. The other options in the market are too cool In my humble opinion.
Old 6th April 2023, 10:52   #12508
Senior - BHPian

I haven't gone through any recent posts here, so please point me towards it if the solution to my problem has been posted earlier.

I recently purchased a Kia Carens Prestige Plus Diesel Manual variant.
The headlights have H19L halogen bulbs and the light throw is very bad. What are my options for upgrading?

FYI, my variant does not come with Fog Lamps, but I plan to install them once good options are available.
Old 6th April 2023, 11:09   #12509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I haven't gone through any recent posts here, so please point me towards it if the solution to my problem has been posted earlier.

I recently purchased a Kia Carens Prestige Plus Diesel Manual variant.
The headlights have H19L halogen bulbs and the light throw is very bad. What are my options for upgrading?

FYI, my variant does not come with Fog Lamps, but I plan to install them once good options are available.
H19 reflector will not work with other kinds of bulbs - just like any other reflector for that matter, but this one is a bit more specific perhaps.

There are some videos in youtube wherein they have done a projector retrofit inside this headlamp, the whole set up looks neat.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 15:37   #12510

Any recommendations for AUX lighting for bikes?

Please also recommend trustworthy online stores to buy lights from :⁠,⁠-⁠)

Bajaj Pulsar NS200
Battery: 12v 8Ah
Headlight: 55/60 W

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th April 2023 at 16:20. Reason: spacing for improved readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks