Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 15:02   #2221
BHPian

Anantnehru - are those actuall zenon's? Or just H4 bulbs with a blue tinge on them?

Also, sorry but those LED's on the mirrors and headlamps dont appeal to me. Look slightly tacky i think.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:26   #2222
BHPian

Hey, nothing to be sorry about - its your opinion - all good.
The headlights are actual xenons, 50watt 4300k.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:20   #2223
BHPian

So, not wanting to make anyone think I'm obsessive about these lights; but I just took out the parking light bulbs and this is the result:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0998edit.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0996edit.jpg
Old 20th October 2008, 18:29   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
So, not wanting to make anyone think I'm obsessive about these lights; but I just took out the parking light bulbs and this is the result:
Looks cool

Are the LEDs on the OVRM connected with the turn indicator lights, so that they glow when the signal lights are turned on ?

Also the LED strip on the headlight, are they connected with the parking light wiring or they can switched on individually ?
Old 20th October 2008, 19:32   #2225
BHPian

just installed osram nightbreakers on my swift. there is alot of light in front of the car now.
bought them through ebay uk. powerbulbs, this seller i would definitely recommend them!!

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-beam.jpg
High Beam

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-beam.jpg
Low Beam

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-cut-off.jpg
Low cut off

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-wall.jpg
High on wall

looks great
Old 20th October 2008, 22:16   #2226
BANNED

Hi Dear BHPians,

I want to upgrade the stock bulbs to higher voltage. i went through the post but i actually got more confused

Please let me know the details...

1.What is the apt voltage of bulb as i dont want my cars headlight to heat up and melt.
2 The headlight should not become black(reflector)
3 Good night vision
4 which brand of bulb?? philips / any other option available??
5 Which brand relay and wiring
6 If xenon,What the cost and advantage??

HELP

Thanks
Old 21st October 2008, 00:55   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Looks cool

Are the LEDs on the OVRM connected with the turn indicator lights, so that they glow when the signal lights are turned on ?

Also the LED strip on the headlight, are they connected with the parking light wiring or they can switched on individually ?
Thanks!
The LEDs on the ORVMs are connected to the parking lights. I didnt want to put the orange ones I have since there is already an indicator on the fender and that would just mean too much orange flashing around the place.
The same with the HL strips, I have wired them to the parkinglights and taken out the parking light bulbs, which dramatizes the effect from before if you have seen my earlier pictures. I'm sure they can be installed in such a way to be switched on independently from anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Dear BHPians,

I want to upgrade the stock bulbs to higher voltage. i went through the post but i actually got more confused

Please let me know the details...

1.What is the apt voltage of bulb as i dont want my cars headlight to heat up and melt.
2 The headlight should not become black(reflector)
3 Good night vision
4 which brand of bulb?? philips / any other option available??
5 Which brand relay and wiring
6 If xenon,What the cost and advantage??

HELP

Thanks
I am honestly a fan of Xenons and wouldnt hesitate reccommending them to anyone who has them. The lighting is beyond words, especially since I had stock bulbs then the VisionPlus ones which were really bad on wet roads.
Everyone here recommends high wattage bulbs with a relay and ceramic holders so the holders dont melt. That can be further explained to you by someone who has done this, as I have no experience with the same.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:58   #2228
BHPian

Joshguy - Hope this helps. I am sure there are people out there who can get alot more technical.

What car are you going to put these bulbs onto?

1.What is the apt voltage of bulb as i dont want my cars headlight to heat up and melt. - Try 100/90W or 100/55W bulbs - 100 is the high beam and the 90/55 is the low beam.

2 The headlight should not become black(reflector) - You can get bulbs with anything upto 160/100W i think, but then theres the chance you might burn out the reflector. Also these bubls are not actually road legal. Stick with the legal stuff and your reflector should be fine. I tried these on my gypsy and the bulbs were'nt getting enough voltage(i think) so werent working to their full capacity. I had also bought special Cibie headlamps so that the reflectors dont burn out.

3 Good night vision - Most bulbs from the big manufactures are good.

4 which brand of bulb?? philips / any other option available?? - There's Philips, Osram, Ring and many more. Check out www.powerbulbs.co.uk, www.xenondirect.com & www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk.

5 Which brand relay and wiring - I think you now get the Hella electronic relays in most automotive shops. If not i am sure you can order it online. I am sure there's other relays you can use, but i do not know much about these.

6 If xenon,What the cost and advantage - Xenon bulbs? Or an actual xenon kit? In the Uk a Xenon kit can cost anything over £300. Which is about Rs25,000. Xenon bulbs arent acutally fully Xenon. They only have a percentage of Xenon gas in them. These are better known as 'Blue Tint' Bulbs.

Got this from the Philips Website -
  • A “longer lasting” blue light
A car driver would prefer to have daylight 24 hours a day. Daylight gives the best visibility. That is why Philips developed BlueVision lamps. BlueVision lamps are carlamps with a blue coating. This blue coating creates a daylight type of light (closer to Xenon).

Hope this helped.
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:59   #2229
BHPian

Forgot to specify, I meant the actual Xenon kit; which is what I have.
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:59   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to specify, I meant the actual Xenon kit; which is what I have.
Anant, I heard Xenon works well with projector headlamps. I guess you are using it with OE reflector. Any issues?

Since you are using 4300K, how does it look (I mean colour) from a distance when you are facing your headlamps. White, Blue or yellow?
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:10   #2231
BHPian

Anant, how much did the conversion cost you? From my experience Xenon headlamps are usally complete units. So you cant change the bubls or anything on them. You get something called HID conversion kits, is that what you have done? Its like Xenon but has H7 (I think) bulbs in them. These bulbs can have xenon gas in them or again you get the 'Blue Tint' bulbs.

I am not doubting what you have done but just interedted in knowing what is out there.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:01   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Anant, I heard Xenon works well with projector headlamps. I guess you are using it with OE reflector. Any issues?

Since you are using 4300K, how does it look (I mean colour) from a distance when you are facing your headlamps. White, Blue or yellow?
Well, in the previous pages (148 i think), I have posted pictures of the visibility I have. Other than that, no such issues at all.
It looks a bright white since its closer to stock. Blue starts around 6000K. 5000K is alot white but with a hint of blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Anant, how much did the conversion cost you? From my experience Xenon headlamps are usally complete units. So you cant change the bubls or anything on them. You get something called HID conversion kits, is that what you have done? Its like Xenon but has H7 (I think) bulbs in them. These bulbs can have xenon gas in them or again you get the 'Blue Tint' bulbs.

I am not doubting what you have done but just interedted in knowing what is out there.
Sorry, my mistake. I have a habit of using Xenon and HID interchangeably. I installed the complete HID conversion kit (which has 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs and a relay).
The bulbs are available separately, but only as replacement bulbs; so one has to have the complete kit in place first.
I have the H4 set, since that it the one the SX4 uses - the low beam and high beam are with the help of a motorized bulb which moves forward and backward.
Before this I had the "blue tint" bulbs - which give out the white light, Philips Crystal Vision and this lighting is far far beyond anything I've ever had.
As far as cost goes, I actually import these (they are 50w as against the normal 35w); so like I said before, not sure if I'm allowed to put the cost up here.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:13   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Well, in the previous pages (148 i think), I have posted pictures of the visibility I have. Other than that, no such issues at all.
It looks a bright white since its closer to stock. Blue starts around 6000K. 5000K is alot white but with a hint of blue.
Thank you! This is what I wanted to know. Actually I had Philips diamond vision on my zen which I had to remove because Bangalore cops had problem with it! I still have it at home and now using Philips Rally for zen. I plan to buy a 4300K HID for my swift but do not want cops to call it "Fancy light" and fine me. Since you have one, just wanted to confirm
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:53   #2234
BHPian

Mods - is it ok to put prices?

I have some UK prices, but i dont know if that applies to whats going on in India. They are readily available here.

Anant - You were actually right. You can get H4 Bi-Xenon conversions. But if you say your bulbs move to adjust the high and low beam then its a standard HID conversion.

And yeah the Philips Crystal Vision bulbs are really good.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:28   #2235
BHPian

Hello guys.....I have few queries ...Hope u can help me with them...

I own a Alto Vxi and i have just changed the headlamp assembly. I need to put in new bulbs and I don't know what the stock bulb wattage is. When I asked accessory shop dealer he was trying to sell me some Phillips bulb and a relay set. He dint specify any model. I am looking at a good upgarde to my lights. I dont know much of the technical aspects.

If I am buying a new pair of bulbs, whats the maximum wattage i can go upto without interfering with relays and stuff. I liked the Osram nightbreakers (thanks to the pics below). Can i get in chennai or do i buy it online?

Also, how effective is 'Bluish' light as compared to the regular ones for the same wattage. I was told that the blue ligts dont function well in the train. Is it true?

Also I want fix fog lights for my car. Is this a simple fix it job or do I need to work on other aspects of the electrical system as well? Any particular brands that will be a straight fit? I need to fix the lights onto my front bumper. (flush fit)

Most Viewed