Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 08:55   #4216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Thanks Krishna.

Sorry to bother with some more noobie questions:
Can you indicate an app cost for the bulbs and relay?
There are four bubls in total (2 for normal and 2 for high beam). Do I need four relays?
If we assume I upgrade without a relay, when the 90/100 bulb holder melts down on highway, can I just replace the bulb and start driving?
depends on the brand of bulb you buy !
In my palio, i had used Flosser 70W h7 (low beam) & Phillips 100W h1 (high beam). Flosser costed me 450/- for a pair & Phillips costed 280/-.

I am assuming you have not gone through this thread much & hence this questions! Anyways, to clarify the melting thing, It is the Holder which will melt and when it belts, it gets stuck to the bulb and you cant really use it again. It is a gone case thereafter. Not only the holder, but sometimes even the wires can melt, shorting your relay, that is when you cant use your stock bulbs even if the holder doesnt melt (coz stock relay is kaput due to shorting)

Using a relay helps, because you will get new heavy duty wiring which can take the load of high wattage bulbs (doesnt melt). You should also use Ceramic Holders (costing 50/- each for every bulb), so the holders also dont melt. Relay can cost you anywhere between 1300 to 1600/- depending upon the brand & quality. Hella/NJK/Bosch make the good ones.

PS; you wont need 2 different relays, but when you are buying the relay specify the dealer to give you "Dual Headlamp Relay", you can tell them your vehicle is palio/fiesta/optra... whatever he understands

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
But, you dont have to go for higher rated bulbs on all 4. Since we use low beams all the time, go for higher rated on low and keep the stock bulbs on high. This is the recommended setup. Going for high on all 4 will drain your battery.
Else, you can go in for HID's which will be expensive.
This is also good setup to try, but with the spread of high wattage low beam, i am not sure if your High beam will make any difference ! I would say upgrade all four, but refrain from using High beam, you will rarely need it anyways.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:03   #4217
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a Chevrolet Beat LT, I managed to upgrade the ICE without voiding warranty (you can check my thread), now planning to get something done about the lights.
I am pretty much interested in retro fit Bi Xenons projectors with blue angel eyes. The main problem here in Mangalore is there is no reliable supplier and installer for such accessories.

I had even got all my ICE sent from Bangalore, thinking to do the same for lights. I would prefer a good brand preferably Bosch as headlamps at 4300k and also would want 3000k fog lamps, not sure if we can get projectors for fogs, guys please advise as I am a novice here, just learning the ropes on lighting

Thanks in advance
Old 1st September 2010, 13:58   #4218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Hi guys, I have a Chevrolet Beat LT, I managed to upgrade the ICE without voiding warranty (you can check my thread), now planning to get something done about the lights.
I am pretty much interested in retro fit Bi Xenons projectors with blue angel eyes. The main problem here in Mangalore is there is no reliable supplier and installer for such accessories.

I had even got all my ICE sent from Bangalore, thinking to do the same for lights. I would prefer a good brand preferably Bosch as headlamps at 4300k and also would want 3000k fog lamps, not sure if we can get projectors for fogs, guys please advise as I am a novice here, just learning the ropes on lighting

Thanks in advance
There are no aftermarket projector HL's for Beat now. You need to install them onto your existing HL's. But you would need any expert mechanic for this job. I think you can check out various shops in Bangalore. There are few shops in Delhi offering readymade projectors for Indian Cars. Check out Performance Products India, Auto Parts Delhi, Car Parts Delhi and Auto Spare Parts for more details.

You can source projectors for Fogs too but make sure that these are suitable for fogs. Sometimes, they may give the projectors meant for HL.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:00   #4219
BHPian

Guys, I need some help here.

1. Reading through this forum, I thought of using Philips Xtreme Power, H4, 12V, 55/60W bulbs in place of the stock bulbs (same wattage) in my i10.

2. When called on phone, the Advaith Hyundai showroom guys said they have that is stock, and would do it

3. When I visited showroom yesterday, they said "any 55/60W would give you same light", "we thought you were asking fro 90/100w, which we have", "we know this is illegal, but we sell it, do the fittings", "you don't have any warranty on electrical parts, and so you can safely upgrade to 90/100", "we have never heard of anyone using Philips XP 55/60, as it is same wattage, why would anyone use it" and all such bull****. I told them to enquire if they can procure it.

4. I got a little confused. I have read that Philips XP H4 55/60 helps to some extent instead of the stock i10 bulbs. I do not want to upgrade to 90/100. Can you folks please confirm whether it makes sense to buy those. I don't want to waste rs 800 to get similar visibility.

5. If yes, then I would buy them from A.K Traders, and put them through the Hyundai folks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cuboid : 3rd September 2010 at 12:05.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:13   #4220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post

1. Reading through this forum, I thought of using Philips Xtreme Power, H4, 12V, 55/60W bulbs in place of the stock bulbs (same wattage) in my i10.

2. When called on phone, the Advaith Hyundai showroom guys said they have that is stock, and would do it

3. When I visited showroom yesterday, they said "any 55/60W would give you same light", "we thought you were asking fro 90/100w, which we have", "we know this is illegal, but we sell it, do the fittings", "you don't have any warranty on electrical parts, and so you can safely upgrade to 90/100", "we have never heard of anyone using Philips XP 55/60, as it is same wattage, why would anyone use it" and all such bull****. I told them to enquire if they can procure it.

4. I got a little confused. I have read that Philips XP H4 55/60 helps to some extent instead of the stock i10 bulbs. I do not want to upgrade to 90/100. Can you folks please confirm whether it makes sense to buy those. I don't want to waste rs 800 to get similar visibility.

5. If yes, then I would buy them from A.K Traders, and put them through the Hyundai folks.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I am using Philips XP 55/60.
There is indeed a noticeable improvement in the light output.
It is not only the wattage that matters. Dont we all know that a 15W CFL is roughly equivalent to a 60W incandescent bulb?
Just go ahead and buy it.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:02   #4221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post

Thanks in advance.
Although it's of the same power, there will be some better visibility when compared to the stock bulbs. Since you dont want to go for 90/100, it's better for you to go for these.
Old 6th September 2010, 00:22   #4222
BHPian

The stock 50/60 bulb in Xylo was too inadequate. A fortnight back, I got it upgraded to Philips Rally 100/130 with some 'PSC' brand relay installed which has separate fuse for Low & High beams - dealer has assured of quality. The difference is significant, very bright light. As part of the installation, I even got the two pilot lamps replaced with LED (white) - looks cute. All done in Rs.1250/-.

But last week the Low stopped working (High was fine though) and found that particular fuse blown which was replaced and I also bought 2-3 spare fuse (25A). The technician told not to keep on same beam for very long, intermediately use dipper or change for few seconds and it should work fine.

Pranav
Old 6th September 2010, 09:23   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
The stock 50/60 bulb in Xylo was too inadequate. A fortnight back, I got it upgraded to Philips Rally 100/130 with some 'PSC' brand relay installed which has separate fuse for Low & High beams - dealer has assured of quality. The difference is significant, very bright light. As part of the installation, I even got the two pilot lamps replaced with LED (white) - looks cute. All done in Rs.1250/-.

But last week the Low stopped working (High was fine though) and found that particular fuse blown which was replaced and I also bought 2-3 spare fuse (25A). The technician told not to keep on same beam for very long, intermediately use dipper or change for few seconds and it should work fine.

Pranav
probably the relay is not rated to handle the power of 100/130W bulbs. Have you checked the power ratings of the relay ?? it should handle a minimum of 260Watts, else you ll keep seeing this blown fuses on a regular basis. I would use better quality relay & also go for ceramic holders, if your relay didnt have those.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:01   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, need advice on whether it is possible to do a HID on my Honda Activa Scooter?

Anybody tried? Any specifics??
Old 6th September 2010, 10:46   #4225
BHPian

Swapped the H/L bulbs with Philips XP last weekend. It was a DIY job and the light is slightly whitish compared to stock lights.
Will be able to give a feedback after an overnight trip, on coming weekend.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:28   #4226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Swapped the H/L bulbs with Philips XP last weekend. It was a DIY job and the light is slightly whitish compared to stock lights.
Will be able to give a feedback after an overnight trip, on coming weekend.
You could actually post some pics so that many fellow BHPians can get to see the difference.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:29   #4227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Guys, need advice on whether it is possible to do a HID on my Honda Activa Scooter?

I think it's possible because I have seen many Dio's with HID's here.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:49   #4228
BHPian

Quote:

Its possible to fit a HID but how long will be your usage? Stock RR wont allow you more than 20-30 mins with a 9AH battery in average rpm as its a AC+DC scooter where the lighting is purely from AC and charging rates are very minimal say around 1-2A max to feed only the starter motor, horn etc. A 35W HID will take a min of 9A at the startup for initialization and once its in full brightness it will come down to steady 3.5A. If you are driving in b2b traffic things can be more worse, ie; less backup from battery. But on highways you wont have any issues as long as you can keep the rpms above 4K.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:32   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its possible to fit a HID but how long will be your usage? Stock RR wont allow you more than 20-30 mins with a 9AH battery in average rpm as its a AC+DC scooter where the lighting is purely from AC and charging rates are very minimal say around 1-2A max to feed only the starter motor, horn etc. A 35W HID will take a min of 9A at the startup for initialization and once its in full brightness it will come down to steady 3.5A. If you are driving in b2b traffic things can be more worse, ie; less backup from battery. But on highways you wont have any issues as long as you can keep the rpms above 4K.
So essentially, a HID will not be effective for short runs in city on a Bike right?

Thanks a ton for the wonderful explanation Sir I am not considering a HID now!!
Old 6th September 2010, 14:19   #4230
BHPian

Quote:
So essentially, a HID will not be effective for short runs in city on a Bike right?

Thanks a ton for the wonderful explanation Sir I am not considering a HID now!!
Its very much viable once you change the charging rates, so that no battery issues even in b2b traffic.

My bike is full DC running on a HID and no issues with batt once I changed the required components.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks