Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2010, 20:27   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anytime.
Since you are looking for visibility rather than looks, I would suggest you to go for 4300k HID's. These provide the best visibility range in HID's. The problem is that, Philips dont manufacture 4300k anymore. They now start with 6000k. There will be only a small difference between 4300k and 6000k HID's where 6000k ones are more white in color. If you are really confused, you can check out other brands too. Since I use Auto Gauge 4300k in my Swift with projectors, I find it really useful. Maybe because I use a Projector setup. HID's in projector setup will provide the maximum visibility whereas when HID's are used in stock, some of the useful light will be scattered/wasted. But a proper brand and installation should cut down this wastage.

Using fogs and HID's in HL's will definitely improve the visibility. But do remember that fogs will provide better visibility for a short range (wide light). Using Hella Aux lights will always provide better vision, but since you are trying to avoid extra fitment, I would suggest you to stick with HID's.

Try to source 4300k HID's. If unsuccessful, check out Philips 6000k. I would recommend Philips anytime.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.!
hey naveen,

Yes, visibility is the priority & I guess I will first stick to finding something decent in 4300K in some other brand since you mention Philips having stopped production of the same.

Let me check around the local market for how much the 'other' kits are going out for. Apart from Numax & Auto Gauge, any other brands that you would recommend?

Drive safe.
Old 10th October 2010, 00:36   #4382
BHPian

Naveen, Sajjt,

Thanks for the advice. The installer did return the stock bulbs to me, and I checked them and it said H4 so I guess it is compatible. I guess I need to find a more reliable/knowledgeable place to do other work on the car.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:04   #4383
abk
BHPian

Osram NIGHT BREAKER PLUS is here!

Osram has already launched an enhanced version of its most premier auto halogen headlamps. Night Breaker Plus. Here's the link. I have found them to be available on popular UK auto bulbs sites just for as much the same price as the previous version of Night Breakers were or Philips X-treme.

I used the previous generation H4 Night Breaker before shifting to Osram 90/100W. I wasn't too impressed with Night Breaker frankly. Besides, the bulbs didn't last too long. That's one of the sour points Osram seeks to address in the plus edition of Night Breaker. When I switched from my OHC's stock halogen (Osram) to Osram's SilverStar it was a perceptible upgrade. But upgrades since then weren't as significant.

Moderators: I think this one thread for all lighting queries is constrained too much, as a result of which it has bloated up beyond to being effective. Can this be split into appropriate threads. For starters I'd suggest dedicated threads each for:
  1. Halogen headlamps
  2. HIDs
  3. Auxiliary lighting
  4. Fancy lighting
  5. DIY projects, tools & tips
  6. LEDs

Last edited by abk : 10th October 2010 at 08:06.
Old 10th October 2010, 11:52   #4384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey naveen,

Yes, visibility is the priority & I guess I will first stick to finding something decent in 4300K in some other brand since you mention Philips having stopped production of the same.

Let me check around the local market for how much the 'other' kits are going out for. Apart from Numax & Auto Gauge, any other brands that you would recommend?

Drive safe.
There are many other indian/foreign brands that you can try. You can also check out Osram and P8. But not sure on how these perform. From my personal experience, I would recommend Philips/Auto Gauge. You can check out the shops and see the kind of response you get from these brands.
Anything else, let me know.
Hope you come up with the updates soon.
Cheers.!
Old 10th October 2010, 13:05   #4385
Senior - BHPian

^^ thanks naveen, will keep you posted & I also hope that I can get some results soon
Old 10th October 2010, 13:07   #4386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Naveen, Sajjt,

Thanks for the advice. The installer did return the stock bulbs to me, and I checked them and it said H4 so I guess it is compatible. I guess I need to find a more reliable/knowledgeable place to do other work on the car.
The installer must have though the 55/60 bulbs may blow (as they will be fed higher power) - maybe he did not know the functioning of the Relay that it is capable of supplying higher power but only if required.
Old 10th October 2010, 14:20   #4387
BHPian

@sportzmind:

Any updates on the flashing brake light? did you get to install one?

Cheers,
Ayyappan
Old 10th October 2010, 14:55   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Power View Post
@sportzmind:

Any updates on the flashing brake light? did you get to install one?

Cheers,
Ayyappan
Its on the way. Should finish the install over the next week. It is a simple install which takes about 15 minutes.
Old 10th October 2010, 16:10   #4389
BHPian

stupid question: I have one "Everest" make wiring harness for the headlights, which came with a 30A cutout and fuse, and I am looking to procure a similar harness for my Hella Rallye 1000 Aux Lamp set. Are similar harness kits avail for horns as well, because that would help eliminate the messy cut paste wiring for the horns.

Now the Everest harness requires a power tap into the positive terminal of the main battery. If 2 more harnesses use similar taps then there will be a spaghetti of wires around the battery which i am seeking to eliminate.

I would like to have a single tap into the main battery and then split the power to the 3 load harnesses (Headlights, Aux Lamps and Horns). Any decent way of doing it?
Old 10th October 2010, 18:35   #4390
Senior - BHPian

you can use the ICE distributor block if you want to go the exotic way or
buy ready made fuse block like that used in old zen with three fuses(40/40/30amps rated i think) and use it as master power supply. or even make your own using black bakelite distributor block from electrical shops but will have to put in fuse blocks.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:30   #4391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
The installer must have though the 55/60 bulbs may blow (as they will be fed higher power) - maybe he did not know the functioning of the Relay that it is capable of supplying higher power but only if required.
Then its high time to switch this guy with a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Its on the way. Should finish the install over the next week. It is a simple install which takes about 15 minutes.
Eagerly waiting for the pics.

I've got some circuits for the same and planning to assemble with delayed blinkers for the third brake lights + main. May be next week I can complete if time permits
Old 11th October 2010, 13:15   #4392
Team-BHP Support

A relay does not supply power. A relay is a route.
You can route the current through your car stock wiring, or you can fit a relay, and route it through separate wiring, which is recommended if your upgraded bulbs draw more current than stock bulbs
Old 11th October 2010, 15:16   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A relay does not supply power. A relay is a route.
You can route the current through your car stock wiring, or you can fit a relay, and route it through separate wiring, which is recommended if your upgraded bulbs draw more current than stock bulbs

Well said Tanveer, mostly have a wrong concept that a relay is another power reserve or something. In simple terms a relay is just another heavy duty contact switch activated by electro-mechanical solenoid.

Hope another thrilling travelogue coming on its way soon.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:07   #4394
Senior - BHPian

Can one also use the existing wiring harness with the existing relay while upgrading bulbs? Any calculations to prove that the secondary wiring harness is better than OE?

IMO, OE is always better than replacements..
Old 11th October 2010, 17:33   #4395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can one also use the existing wiring harness with the existing relay while upgrading bulbs? Any calculations to prove that the secondary wiring harness is better than OE?

IMO, OE is always better than replacements..
If you are planning to install higher rated bulbs, you need to change the relay and the wiring kit. If you are going for the same wattage, you can stick with OE kit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks