Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have.
put in 90/100s for all 4.
youre right.
one set each for each pair.
2 sets of hardware.
Thanks Mayank for the information. Let me see how it goes.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:40   #5192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have.
put in 90/100s for all 4.
youre right.
one set each for each pair.
2 sets of hardware.

Mayank how did you manage the holders part ?

I had got the lighting upgraded on my Fiesta too , a reputed store in chandigarh had used a dual headlamp relay with the wiring harness to power the lights. This relay and wiring harness was from Roots, however the holders were no good since the H1 & H7 bulbs first get plugged into their hard plastic holders and are then fixed into the headlights. The holders that i got with the kit were compatible with these hard plastic holders and the end result was the higher wattage bulbs were installed in the plastic holders , fixed in the headlamps and the wiring was then connected using thimbles.

I used the lights for a few days and noticed excessive heating at the brass contacts, I did not want to take a risk with the lamps and got the setup removed.

This is the hard plastic holder that the bulb first plugs into, the H1 bulb first fits into this, this combo goes into the headlamp unit and the wiring harness then connects to the contact you see on the holder below.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-holder1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-holder2.jpg

Currently running with a pair of Crystal Vision for both H1 & H7. They are quite good for city drives and and reasonably ok for dark roads, however they do not inspire confidence on the highways at night. Have always stayed under 90-100km/hr on Chandigarh to Delhi at nights.

Now that i'm in Delhi will look around if the proper holders are available and only then consider an upgrade unless someone can guide me.

The ultimate setup that i would like to have is

1. A projector HID setup for the Low beams ( H7 )
2. A Halogen setup for the high beams , install a relay setup. The standard is 55W, but essential power from Philips is available in 85W so maybe use that.

And something good for the fog lamps, which is helpful in foggy conditions and goes with the setup.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:54   #5193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsoneja View Post
Mayank how did you manage the holders part ?

I had got the lighting upgraded on my Fiesta too , a reputed store in chandigarh had used a dual headlamp relay with the wiring harness to power the lights. This relay and wiring harness was from Roots, however the holders were no good since the H1 & H7 bulbs first get plugged into their hard plastic holders and are then fixed into the headlights. The holders that i got with the kit were compatible with these hard plastic holders and the end result was the higher wattage bulbs were installed in the plastic holders , fixed in the headlamps and the wiring was then connected using thimbles.

I used the lights for a few days and noticed excessive heating at the brass contacts, I did not want to take a risk with the lamps and got the setup removed.

This is the hard plastic holder that the bulb first plugs into, the H1 bulb first fits into this, this combo goes into the headlamp unit and the wiring harness then connects to the contact you see on the holder below.

Attachment 560911

Attachment 560912

I got ceramic holders off the shelf from palika.
no heating issues so far.
if youre in delhi, head over to palika or noida or even karol bagh.
easy peasy!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 22:37   #5194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have used Osram NB for quite some night drives and would rate it excellent any day. The only negative I found with the bulbs are its expensive @ 1300/-. But those served me for 1 year and it was totally worth it. Going by that experience, NBP should be 1 step ahead.

By the way, whats the price quoted for a pair?
Today, I had a call from the Kolhapur dealer regarding availability of NBP. He quoted some 15% discount on MRP. (Rs.980 for H4 per pair) I wish to go for bargain a little more, what do you think?? Do share.
BTW, at Krishna Sales, Delhi one of our fellow BHPian has purchased a pair of NBP (H4) for Rs.800.
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:27   #5195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Today, I had a call from the Kolhapur dealer regarding availability of NBP. He quoted some 15% discount on MRP. (Rs.980 for H4 per pair) I wish to go for bargain a little more, what do you think?? Do share.
BTW, at Krishna Sales, Delhi one of our fellow BHPian has purchased a pair of NBP (H4) for Rs.800.
Thanks in advance.
Is it some accessories guy or Osram dealer itself? You could use the reference and try a bit of bargain, not sure you will get it. How far is Delhi for you? Or you might PM if the other bhp'ian could buy & courier you a pair and you could transfer all the cost [including shipping] if the cost difference is worth it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th June 2011 at 23:28.
Old 16th June 2011, 09:09   #5196
Senior - BHPian

Which is best price shop for Hella Products in Bangalore? Do you have any idea? I am planning to buy 700FF and Comet 550 for my Safari. Looking for genuine and best price shop.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:53   #5197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is it some accessories guy or Osram dealer itself? You could use the reference and try a bit of bargain, not sure you will get it. How far is Delhi for you? Or you might PM if the other bhp'ian could buy & courier you a pair and you could transfer all the cost [including shipping] if the cost difference is worth it.
Yeah, that's a nice idea anyways, but I don't think the difference is that big. BTW, he is the authorized dealer, I know. And in fact, I have already posted the details about the Western Maharashtra dealers earlier in this thread as per received from the company.
Thanks for your reply, updating the things soon.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:55   #5198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Which is best price shop for Hella Products in Bangalore? Do you have any idea? I am planning to buy 700FF and Comet 550 for my Safari. Looking for genuine and best price shop.
I tried couple of shops in JC Road & then Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala. Everyone seemed to quote the same figures. Unless you can find a Hella dealer [wholesale] I don't think you can get any discounts. I could not find a Hella dealer as well, in case you find any, please do let me know. Thanx in advance.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:27   #5199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
During weekend, I went ahead and got installed Hella Comet 450 lamps on my M800. Initial impression is good, but I'll give thumbs up only if these lamps provide good illumination in the rains .

Jose.
Buddy, I hope it has rained! How do these lights perform?
Old 21st June 2011, 08:34   #5200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
In the last couple of weeks, I picked up Rallye 3000 & 700FF.
Would recommend you visit Reliance Autozone for price & quality. I have been to their outlet located on the Kanakapura road - South end road intersection.
I reckon you have the clamps in place (if you are fitting it onto a bullbar).
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:05   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried directionally adaptive lights on their car(s)?

Directionally adaptive headlights turn to the direction you are steering in, so that curves and turns in the roads are illuminated better. I am thinking if a similar thing could be done in a car.

Of course, modifying the stock headlights would be very difficult. But how about a strip of powerful LED lights on each side of the bumpers which lights up as you switch on the turn indicator? The only problem I foresee is this strip would have to remain on for as long as the turn indicator is switched on. Powering this strip from the stock indicator lights will most likely make the strip blink.

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:23   #5202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Has anyone tried directionally adaptive lights on their car(s)?

Directionally adaptive headlights turn to the direction you are steering in, so that curves and turns in the roads are illuminated better. I am thinking if a similar thing could be done in a car.

Of course, modifying the stock headlights would be very difficult. But how about a strip of powerful LED lights on each side of the bumpers which lights up as you switch on the turn indicator? The only problem I foresee is this strip would have to remain on for as long as the turn indicator is switched on. Powering this strip from the stock indicator lights will most likely make the strip blink.

Any thoughts?
Adaptive headlights on OEM headlights would be tricky. Havent seen any cars with this (aftermarket).

Think Audi A7 got this LED+indicator thing. That's possible but need some good quality LED's to get the effect as desired.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:40   #5203
Senior - BHPian

What I had in mind was a strip of powerful LEDs (3v or thereabouts) pasted on the bumper, one on the right corner and one on the left (let's say below the rub-strips). When you switch on the left side turn indicator, the strip on the left would light up and stay lit till you cancel the turn indicator.

I have recently bought an LED torch which has a 3v LED bulb inside. The throw is quite long and focussed, therefore I am sure a series of 3v LED bulbs would be able to light up the immediate vicinity of the road, making it easier to spot potholes or other obstacles right at the corner of a turn.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:50   #5204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What I had in mind was a strip of powerful LEDs (3v or thereabouts) pasted on the bumper, one on the right corner and one on the left (let's say below the rub-strips). When you switch on the left side turn indicator, the strip on the left would light up and stay lit till you cancel the turn indicator.

I have recently bought an LED torch which has a 3v LED bulb inside. The throw is quite long and focussed, therefore I am sure a series of 3v LED bulbs would be able to light up the immediate vicinity of the road, making it easier to spot potholes or other obstacles right at the corner of a turn.
Sounds good. So basically, the LED's will be ON and when the indicators are switched on this will blink "Orange", "White", Orange" and so on, right?

Or are you staying with just white? What many cars are doing is that they have an orange bulb next to the white one and this gives the effect.

Old 23rd June 2011, 13:52   #5205
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee, is possible on a skoda with a software hack.... hunt for adaptive fog lights

here is the post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2045789

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks