Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 11:05   #5266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys I need a quick opinion - I'm getting Philips Rally and MICO Bosch 100/90w. Which one to go for? I was quite happy with Philips for last 2+ years.

Someone mentioned that now Rally comes in 100/110w also?

Or is there any other brand altogether that experts suggest?
Old 7th July 2011, 14:58   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Kindly ensure that you type in full & proper English, for the benefit of other board users.

We hereby advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
looking awesome!!

please update us with its cost.

BTW whats the brand? (made in china or other?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sohaill,

Stunning is the word!

Which brand, from where and what was the landed cost?! What do you think of the brightness relative to the stock ones?

Do you need resistors or special flasher units for the blinkers? Does the i20 ECU recognize the LEDs as working bulbs or are you getting increased blinking speeds due to the very low power consumption?

More pictures please :-)!
Thanks a lot guys!

I sourced the LEDs from autolumination.com, through a friend!

But I think they take international orders too!

No idea about the brand but I reckon its 'made in china' as usual!

But loads of people in US have used autolumination LEDs and most of them generally have good reviews so I took the plunge!

btw we get Festoon LEDs(for car cabin lighting), 501 capless and capped LEDs(can be used as front position lights, rear registration plate lighting, high mount stop lamp etc.) on Ebay india too!! - (http://auto-parts.shop.ebay.in/Auto-...:MEFSRCHX:SRCH)

Be careful while shopping for Festoons as they come in different lengths and make sure you know what dimension bulb can go in the socket in your car!

Regarding the blinkers, I too was thinking I'd need a resistor unit, but I've yet to receive the blinker LEDs for my tail as well as head light assemblies. Will update on whether I get increased blinking speeds or not!

btw I have a kahtec flasher unit too for my high mount stop lamp!

Here's a vid I took of it.
NOTE
- Its an old video for when I had bulbs in the tail lamps as well as high mount stop lamp!

That coupled with LEDs in there = amazing and sharp flashes!

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2011 at 13:31. Reason: SMS / Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Kindly ensure that you type in full & proper English
Old 8th July 2011, 12:10   #5268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys got Raylux HID 4300k on my Anhc today.Have you all heard of the brand?
Been using it for almost 4 years now. Still working flawlessly . Was apprehensive at first as it was unknown brand, but seems seems okay after all.
kaynmantis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 13:50   #5269
BHPian

Guys need a quick info.
Can someone confirm the price of philips bluevision 55/60W.I had gone to reliance autozone in HSR, Bangalore and a pair costs around 899 INR there.
Is it a genuine price as I was under the impression that it costs around 300-400 INR.
Old 13th July 2011, 20:12   #5270

Philips HID alignment issue in new Honda City

Hi All,

I have recently got my Honda City fitted with genuine Philips HID kit (6000K bulbs). While the bulbs/light are great, there seems to be some issue with the alignment of the HID bulbs and the Honda City's reflector.

Contrary to what the normal bulbs have, these HID bulbs do not really stop rotating at a specific position in the reflector cavity. I can rotate them full 360 degrees. In the seemingly normal position even the High Beam is focussed at a very close distance from the vehicle (with the height adjustment switch on HIGHEST position). I would like to have the beam almost straight in line in case of high beam.

Has someone else tried doing the same thing and can help me with some tips on how to align the new bulbs inside the reflector?

-Thanks,
Ashish.
Old 14th July 2011, 00:13   #5271
BHPian

Re: Philips HID alignment issue in new Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_me2 View Post
I have recently got my Honda City fitted with genuine Philips HID kit (6000K bulbs). While the bulbs/light are great, there seems to be some issue with the alignment of the HID bulbs and the Honda City's reflector.
You are trying to install a contraption of sorts which is neither efficient in throwing useful light on the road nor safe. Your headlight reflectors were designed to work with halogen lamps whereas the HID burners were designed to work with projectors (unless your HID burners are D2R). The light emission pattern of halogen bulbs and HID burners are totally different and hence their reflector/projector design has to be different too.

Simply put, you cannot expect mismatched optics to work wonders. It's ironic that even after this issue was discussed way too many times in this very thread, people still fall for cheap and dangerous HID modifications.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:22   #5272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_me2 View Post
Hi All,

Contrary to what the normal bulbs have, these HID bulbs do not really stop rotating at a specific position in the reflector cavity. I can rotate them full 360 degrees. In the seemingly normal position even the High Beam is focussed at a very close distance from the vehicle (with the height adjustment switch on HIGHEST position). I would like to have the beam almost straight in line in case of high beam.

Has someone else tried doing the same thing and can help me with some tips on how to align the new bulbs inside the reflector?

-Thanks,
Ashish.
Ashish:

As DV had mentioned, HID's are not recommended on stock reflectors. What you do, you will not get the 100% light visibility. Some of the light will be scattered. But since you have an alignment problem, the best thing you can do is go to an experienced installer and get the alignment done. It will be difficult to attain the right output but many have had good experiences during their second try. There are few shops that do beam alignment but that's for projectors. You can even have a try there too.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:42   #5273
BHPian

Those LED lights look really good. Anyone planning to order please let me know, I would like a pair for my Swift too.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:39   #5274

Thanks for your inputs Naveen and DV. Will hunt for a good installer in Hyderabad and see if it helps.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:41   #5275
BHPian

[quote=sudipta;

I will try it out and let you know of the results. He also mentioned that a simillar kit is WIP for the cars.
[/QUOTE]

Eagerly waiting for your review about the HID for the BIKE you have. Your last post was on 3rd July. I am getting impatient waiting.
Old 14th July 2011, 19:08   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Eagerly waiting for your review about the HID for the BIKE you have. Your last post was on 3rd July. I am getting impatient waiting.
Its a tough job to get the boosted charging rate to support the HID. Stock conditions it may not go more than 20mins on HID.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:00   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its a tough job to get the boosted charging rate to support the HID. Stock conditions it may not go more than 20mins on HID.
Only the initial draw on the battery and charging system is more than stock bulb by about 10 to 15 percent and after 2 minutes it settles down to draw the same current as the filament based bulb. IF it draws more than your ordinary bulb after 2 minutes return the HID unit as you have been conned.

The only thing to look out for is that the supply voltage at no time should dip below 9 volts. I just realized you are from Cochin, if I could help you in some way do let me know.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:22   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Finally after using a 8000K bulb for 4 years on my Zma.
i was able to find a 4300K H4 BI-Xenon bulb for the HID kit.
what surprises me,is that even after 4 years of abuse,HID kit is going on and on.
Beam spread is similar to 8000K but the intensity and brightness,makes up for it
@Dr pullockram,what bike are we talking of here?
Old 15th July 2011, 00:46   #5279
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello experts
Need help again! this time its the Mercedes. its an E280 CDI (W211; the model just before the current/ latest). It has projectors for low beams but not for high beams. i find the lights to be inadequate for highway/ city driving and mostly have to use the high beams, even at times when i shouldn't/ don't want to.
Planning to install aftermarket HIDs kit and bulbs. Finance isn't really a constraint but quality and fitment/ installation is! I need to know:
(1) which is a good quality HID kit recommended for Mercedes E-class?
(2) Which bulbs do i need to get to optimize light throw and intensity? i think temperature should be 4300 coz i don't like the blue ones.
(3) which is a reliable place in Mumbai to get the installation done?
(4) i read that even projectors are different for halogens/ xenons? do u think HIDs are a good idea considering the car has halogens by default?
(5) what is the tentative expense i am looking at?

i know that is a lot of questions but honestly, this will be my first car with HID and that too aftermarket, so want to do my homework well. also, where can i get so many experts in one place?
these questions come from the root that AutoHangar won't fit HIDs for me as aftermarket and even if they do, it will be more like 2-3 Lakhs for the entire thing! and i intend to finish this either on this weekend or max by the next.

thanks in anticipation.
cheers!
Old 15th July 2011, 06:54   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am finding a typical challenge. The electrical system is AC for my Honda Dio but the kit works on DC current only. I don't want to change the entire system so I am looking at connecting a seperate switch for the same. Any sugestions from anyone here??

When I connect it directly with the battery it is working but couldnt check it in road condition as of now. Currently my scooter is without headlight.

Most Viewed