Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 08:10   #5401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
I am on a strict budget of Rs.1000-1500, please suggest me decent bulbs for swift. I want a decent throw on highway as I have alternate week highway travel of around 600kms.

Thanks.
If you are going for anything beyond the stock headlamps ensure that you get a wiring kit and ceramic holders. 100/90 or 130/100 are your options and yeah both would fall below your budget of 1500. You could try bulbs from Philips or Osram and they perform equally well.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:16   #5402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
I am on a strict budget of Rs.1000-1500, please suggest me decent bulbs for swift. I want a decent throw on highway as I have alternate week highway travel of around 600kms.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
If you are going for anything beyond the stock headlamps ensure that you get a wiring kit and ceramic holders. 100/90 or 130/100 are your options and yeah both would fall below your budget of 1500. You could try bulbs from Philips or Osram and they perform equally well.
+1. Also make sure you get a good relay fixed along with the wiring Kit(thick gauge , the better) & ceramic holders.
Though 130/100 would be slightly uncomfortable for the on coming traffic while in high beam, but you would have an exceptional throw of light.

I have philips crystal vision 4300 bulbs (55W) in high beam. Light output is really good & I'm happy with the output.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:20   #5403
Senior - BHPian

I have a problem with the right headlight assembly on my Octavia. I got it focused only last week and a lock which was adjusted thursday has come lose again. The beam from the right side is at its lowest position. Does the lock need replacement? I'm wondering what went wrong that it became lose in just 4 days!
Old 9th August 2011, 11:49   #5404
BHPian

Just came across this video on Harley Davidson bikes, they have introduced optional LED head lamp system on their bikes.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1103_crup_01_oharley_davidson_black_led_headlamp_auxiliary.jpg

Here's the video on stock HL Vs LED HL

Cost is also very tempting, only $399.95 only

LED Headlamp and Auxiliary Lamps | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:07   #5405
BHPian

If the beam shots in the video are for real then this is an awesome piece of kit. LEDs consume much less power than HIDs, have a lifetime of 50000-100000 hours and don't need time to warmup. They're also much more rugged than HIDs. Forget Harleys, we can fix these on our Bullets! Not to mention any vehicle with a round headlamp. Gypsy owners rejoice!
Old 9th August 2011, 17:03   #5406
Senior - BHPian

Need to improve the low beam on the Civic. What are the options ?

No cutting, relay, HID, ceramic holders etc etc - just need a change of bulbs - which ones ?
Old 9th August 2011, 17:34   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Need to improve the low beam on the Civic. What are the options ?

No cutting, relay, HID, ceramic holders etc etc - just need a change of bulbs - which ones ?
I think the civic low beam uses a HB4 type bulb. You could replace this with philips Crytal vision bulbs. The light will be slightly whitish in color and lights up dark roads well.
You need not have to cut any wires or make any changes to the holder if you use bulbs of the same rating.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:39   #5408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks captain slow. I would prefer yellow lights and not the whiter our blue colored ones.

Will be going for same wattage bulbs only.

Any idea where I can get philips or osram night breakers (osram reviews?)
Old 9th August 2011, 17:49   #5409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Thanks captain slow. I would prefer yellow lights and not the whiter our blue colored ones.

Will be going for same wattage bulbs only.

Any idea where I can get philips or osram night breakers (osram reviews?)
NC, If you are against white lights then the only option left is Philips Xtreme vision. Osrams NB+ produce a slighty white light not so much as the crystal visions but its going to be a little whitish compared to the stock bulb.

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums - View Single Post - Philips Xtreme Power v Osram night breaker

The Philips Xtreme vision produce a yellowish light similar to the stock bulbs
Philips Xtreme Vision 100%(Calling out Gearbox!!) - Honda Civic Forum

You are not going to change the high beam bulbs? Then change the low beams to philips. You will see quite huge improvement.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233376
Old 11th August 2011, 18:14   #5410
BHPian

Today I got rid of HIDs after using for 3-4 months. They lived up only in city conditions and were useless on highways. I should admit that it was my mistake to go for HIDs without projectors.

As i am planning to do lot of highway drives (including few night trips) i have got installed Philips Rally 100/130 Halogeon head lamps with Hella wiring harness, ceramic holders and relay for my Scorpio ( Cost Rs 1400/-)
Old 11th August 2011, 18:28   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Today I got rid of HIDs after using for 3-4 months. They lived up only in city conditions and were useless on highways. I should admit that it was my mistake to go for HIDs without projectors.
Let me be the first to congratulate you on doing the right thing!!! HID's on normal reflectors are purely a nuisance with questionable benefits.

With projectors, low beam performance is usually superb. In case of Bi-Xenon projectors, their high beam performance is still nothing to rave about.

I'm forced to think that our highways invariably demands use of auxiliary lighting (Driving lights/Pencil Beams) to compliment the main beam if you constantly do 3 digit speeds on highways.
Old 12th August 2011, 14:31   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hi,

I have two parts to my post - a review and then a question.

First-off, I had gotten the number for Krishna Sales the OSRAM distributor in Delhi to find out H3 Nightbreakers by doing a search on this thread.

He hadnt heard of Team BHP, so wasnt too sure if anyone had called him as yet regarding the bulbs. Anyhow, he told me that the bulbs weren available but he would get them in for me and send them to a shop which was closest to me. He quoted INR 400 a pair, and said he would get in touch with once he was sure.

I didnt expect him to call me back but I got a call within 15mins, saying the prices was INR 600; and that I should confirm availability of the bulbs by Thursday but the bulbs should be in a Lajpat Nagar shop by Friday. All in all, a really good experience, didnt really expect something like this from a distributor getting a call out of the blue.
Well, so much for the positive experience. When I called him back when asked to confirm their availability he told me he had to check and put the phone down. Called him again, no answer. Just called him a few minutes ago, and got hung up on.

Does anyone know where H3 NightBreakers are available in Delhi? Not too sure where to check as he mentioned that no one stocks them. Help would be much appreciated! Thanks..
Old 12th August 2011, 17:03   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
As i am planning to do lot of highway drives (including few night trips) i have got installed Philips Rally 100/130 Halogeon head lamps with Hella wiring harness, ceramic holders and relay for my Scorpio ( Cost Rs 1400/-)
I would strongly suggest you to get 100/90 and then go the auxiliary lighting route since 130/100 are notorious for damaging reflectors. I know many people use them, but driving several continuous hours at night would invariably put extra stress on the headlamp reflector with the immense heat produced. You can use the existing relay and wiring, just change the bulbs.

Moreover, you will get much more usable light with auxiliary lamps and in case of failure, you still have your headlamps or vice versa. The cherry is that aux lamps look great on the Scorpio
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 17:59   #5414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I would strongly suggest you to get 100/90. You can use the existing relay and wiring, just change the bulbs.
Thanks for the suggestion. Point noted.
What i will do is , i will buy a pair of 90/100 for city and for OK highways. Only for the road trips where the situation really warrants, i will swap with 100/130 on a trip to trip basis.

Auxillary lamps will be the next upgradation. Just researching on antitheft measures for the ALs ; and once confident will go for them.

Thanks
NH

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 12th August 2011 at 18:01.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:47   #5415
BHPian

Quote:
I will swap with 100/130 on a trip to trip basis.

Auxillary lamps will be the next upgradation. Just researching on antitheft measures for the ALs ; and once confident will go for them.
Anytime NH. About the aux lamps, I think the Micro DE Projectors from Hella will fit in the stock fog lamp location with slight modification. These are really worth the money and when fitted to the stock location or behind the bumper for that matter, nobody would bother to nick them.

Or you can get something similar to these Barri Lock Nuts to secure the lamps in place:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...=1217469772000

Also, there are some really cheap Aux lamp units that provide good throw for highway use. You don't really need KC/Roolite/lightforce etc.

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed