Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 14:05   #5491
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Check for the fuse holder for any loose contact, I would say replace it with a good quality, blackening is due to improper contact with sufficient rated fuse, say 30A would suffice.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2011 at 15:32. Reason: Please dont quote full post for a 1-2 line reply...Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 15:30   #5492
Distinguished - BHPian

Wires required - Bangalore

Guys, I need to pick up electrical wire (better gauge than OE wiring), switch, fuse-holder, connectors. This is required for the new Hella Rallye's I have picked.

Question:
Where can I get the wire, and what gauge is recommended ?
JC road / Bangalore south

(The Rallye 500 kit does have stock wire, but I want to use better gauge. Looking for switches because I dont want to drill into the dashboard - but would like to look for alternate wiring/setup for the switch.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:50   #5493
BHPian

Re: Wires required - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, I need to pick up electrical wire (better gauge than OE wiring), switch, fuse-holder, connectors. This is required for the new Hella Rallye's I have picked.

Question:
Where can I get the wire, and what gauge is recommended ?
JC road / Bangalore south

(The Rallye 500 kit does have stock wire, but I want to use better gauge. Looking for switches because I dont want to drill into the dashboard - but would like to look for alternate wiring/setup for the switch.
You may want to try Car Junction near Jain Temple, 4th Block. I have seen him stocking few electrical wires and connectors.

-Sajan
Old 6th September 2011, 16:42   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Yes so I've installed Osram Night breaker H1 in my Laura '11, wil check the performance at night and post back.

I've changed the Headlight bulbs of my Fluidic Verna from the factory fitted Halonix 60/55W to Osram NightBreaker 60/55W. Osram has whiter light and is useless in city or on highways. Osram NB is a waste of money. The existing Halonix ones are better than Osram.

I have Philips Rally bulbs 100W-H1 + 80W-H7 on my Palio. They have regular Yellow tint light which is far superior than the Osram NBs.

Planning to install Hella 100/90W bulbs with separate Hella wiring kit tomorrow without tampering the existing electrical wiring.
Old 7th September 2011, 18:20   #5495
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bmwi8laserheadlightjpg-medium.jpg

BMW has announced that it is actively testing laser headlights to replace the LED bulbs that it currently uses. The German luxury car manufacturer says that lasers are, obviously, the “next logical step” in the evolution of headlights, and reportedly have the capability to shine up to 1,000 times brighter than LEDs.

BMW testing ultra-bright laser headlights
Old 9th September 2011, 08:56   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya
Planning to install Hella 100/90W bulbs with separate Hella wiring kit tomorrow without tampering the existing electrical wiring.
Upgraded to Helly 100/90W with Hella Relay kit. Costed Rs. 2000. The Hella kit comes with separate relays for both the lights. The light is much much better than the Osram NB 55/60W. Beams need to be adjusted and can be done manually.

Would recommend this setup.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2011 at 20:18. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 9th September 2011, 11:51   #5497
Senior - BHPian

Question for everyone:

Can HIDs be installed in cars without clear lens headlights ?

I dont want to end up blinding some oncoming driver or spending 8- 9 K on something that would be worse than my 600 INR pair of 90/100W bulbs
Old 9th September 2011, 12:19   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Question for everyone:

I dont want to end up blinding some oncoming driver or spending 8- 9 K on something that would be worse than my 600 INR pair of 90/100W bulbs
HIDs are illegal when fitted in a non projector setup as they tend to be upto 300% brighter than Incandescent bulbs of the same power.

Projectors have better characteristics when it comes to cutting off the light above a particular level.

Fitting them in a Reflector based setup [with or without clear lenses] will dazzle incoming traffic.

Just get 140 watt bulbs. [but your headlights will start to get damaged after a couple of months.]
Old 9th September 2011, 14:02   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Question for everyone:

It can be installed but not recommended. You cant use 100% of it's light since it will be scattered. HID's are well suited when used with projectors. Get 100/90w bulbs. It's safe. Anything above that will darken the headlight assembly.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:33   #5500
BHPian

Hey guys I am looking to replace the head lamps of my Punto. There isn't enough throw and the illumination is also not all that great forcing me to use high beams more often. I am looking at Osram Nightbreaker Plus and Philips Extreme Power. What is the recommended wattage for the Punto? Anybody using either of the bulbs could provide info about how these bulbs are. Would be of much help.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 9th September 2011, 17:25   #5501
Senior - BHPian

What model do you have of the punto?

I have emotion pack and do a lot of night driving..I'm five feet and few inches..

Adjusting seat height helps..with stock head lamps
Old 9th September 2011, 18:11   #5502
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is required for the new Hella Rallye's I have picked.
I plan to pick up the Hella 500s too. Which shop in JC road sells original Hella's not fakes?

--Ragul
Old 9th September 2011, 19:41   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
What model do you have of the punto?

I have emotion pack and do a lot of night driving..I'm five feet and few inches..

Adjusting seat height helps..with stock head lamps
I have the 1.2 Emotion. It doesn't come with the seat height adjuster. I'm 5' 10" but I still feel there isn't enough throw. I have a cousin's Figo which I am using for the past month and it provides much better throw and illuminates the road ahead of me much better than the Punto. The difference is much noticeable. I had read in some ownership review thread of the Punto about switching to Osram Nightbreaker Plus. How good are the lamps? Any idea about their price?
Old 10th September 2011, 08:23   #5504
BHPian

Hello PUNE bhpians,

Can somebody guide me where can I get Neolite Aux. Driving Lamps 1010 or 1111 models in Pune ? Any dealer's contact details like Cell/Phone No, e-mail etc etc will be a great help.
Old 10th September 2011, 08:47   #5505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I plan to pick up the Hella 500s too. Which shop in JC road sells original Hella's not fakes?
@Ragul, I got my set from Rel Auto zone. If you go there, go in the morning (by 11-ish). Get the work done right away, and keep an eye on them as they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
... the LOW beam gave up on me only to realise that it was a blown fuse

The issue reoccurred again after 2 weeks with the fuse blowing up for the LOW beam only and this has been happening for the past 4 instances now only for the LOW beam,

As you know the Fuse has 2 pins hence the female holder has 2 sockets as well , out of these one of the sockets is kind of blackened due to heat Iam guessing.
Fuse blowing repeated is indicative of a wiring problem. Get the wiring to the light checked. Possibly some open part of wire that would touch the body of the car to cause a short. Check near the ends of the wires first.

You mentioned about the one of the sockets getting blackened. Is this socket in the fuse holder or the bulb holder ? I am asking, since your post was not clear. I will surprised with heat near the fuse.

Also, replace your bulb holders to ceramic type if you have not already done so.

Most Viewed