Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 18:25   #5536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Been looking for H2 halogen bulbs for my Hella 1000's - no one seems to have them. Any idea where in Delhi / Gurgaon one can find them ?? The guy was suggesting retro-fitting H3, but it was a totally different fit hence stayed away

Any indicator would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 14th September 2011, 20:04   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes, most definitely - infact thats the reason for the question. IN city I hardly use HL - Street lights are good enough.

Now, my question is -

I'm using 90/100 Halogens [yellow light] in my jeep. Can I use some other bulb like Phillips Nightvision or Osram Night breakers that give me White light?

Is this white light as "white" as the HID? The only down side of Halogens over HID is higher power consumption, but guess I dont have much choice and taking the Bi Xenon route for my Jeep may not make sense for me at this point in time!

Or should I go for 100/130 and add 4 lights on the roof of the vehicle
90/100, 100/130, Aux lights on the fender, 4 lights on the roof of the jeep etc gives it the "Jeep" character than HID's. Just my 1 paisa on this.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 20:30   #5538
Distinguished - BHPian

@Headers, 100/130 will eat up the reflector sometime soon. Also may not very effective in rain.

Suggest stock 55/60 supplemented with a pair of 100W aux lights.

Also, you can try crystal vision or similar bulbs for "white" light
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 21:04   #5539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Headers, 100/130 will eat up the reflector sometime soon. Also may not very effective in rain.

Suggest stock 55/60 supplemented with a pair of 100W aux lights.

Also, you can try crystal vision or similar bulbs for "white" light
Again the "white" light is pretty ineffective in rain. a slight advantage would be - Jeep seating is much higher than passenger cars so may be a little better vision even with "white"
Old 14th September 2011, 21:07   #5540
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shubz - not really, Jeep seating or otherwise. (Remember, I drive a similar vehicle).
Old 15th September 2011, 05:51   #5541
BHPian

My LHS Osram NightBreaker blew out (fused) recently and so I had to change the bulb. It is not easy getting a H7 type in Nana Peth as well. I wanted the 55W bulb (stock). Finally out of exasperation, I bought a Philips EssentialPower 80W bulb. The shop guy assured me that I dont need to change the relays or holders or put in a new harness.

Please tell me if that is OK as I do a lot of night driving (almost 50% of the time). If not, I will replace the bulb with a 55W that I was finally able to lay my hands on.

Also, the NB's are almost a waste of money. It didnt really help me for the price I paid for them (1000 bucks a bulb ).

Please suggest any other upgrades.

Also, where in Pune can I get someone to wire up aux lamps. I dont want any cutting of the wiring harness.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:57   #5542
BHPian

Have been getting a few negative reviews about the Osram NBs lately. Has the quality gone down and Philips is the better option nowadays? I am talking about the stock 55/60 pair.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:38   #5543
Distinguished - BHPian

I was trying put in LED's in the Roof lamps, and the rear reading lamps in my fiesta(previous gen).

There was some struggle going on, and it was taking more effort than i would have expected, so i dropped it till got to know frompeople who have done it about the correct way.

Please, any guidance on how to remove the dome lights, and reading lights in the fiesta(below the rearview mirror in front, and next to the rear roof grab handles) would be highly appreciated guys.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:34   #5544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Lightforce 240Blitz is a pair of aux lights is it?
Yep, you get in pair. But online-websites US/AUS site you can find new single light too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Been looking for H2 halogen bulbs for my Hella 1000's - no one seems to have them. Any idea where in Delhi / Gurgaon one can find them ?? The guy was suggesting retro-fitting H3, but it was a totally different fit hence stayed away

Any indicator would be appreciated
Contact Dikshit from The retro rides. He might be able to help you out. I have dealt with him regarding some lights.
The Retro Rides | Home
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...s-gurgaon.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Again the "white" light is pretty ineffective in rain.
Nopes. The crystal vision one which I have is almost white, but effective in rains too. Bluish white or Blue lights are ineffective in Rain/Fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I wanted the 55W bulb (stock). Finally out of exasperation, I bought a Philips EssentialPower 80W bulb. The shop guy assured me that I dont need to change the relays or holders or put in a new harness.

Please tell me if that is OK as I do a lot of night driving (almost 50% of the time). If not, I will replace the bulb with a 55W that I was finally able to lay my hands on.
Nopes. Don't go buy his words, by putting 80W bulbs in a 55W spec light assembly without wiring or relay.
I'm sure you'll stressing(excess heat & load) the O.E wiring and the holders.

Last edited by sushrutha : 15th September 2011 at 12:37.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:27   #5545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
I was trying put in LED's in the Roof lamps, and the rear reading lamps in my fiesta(previous gen).

There was some struggle going on, and it was taking more effort than i would have expected, so i dropped it till got to know frompeople who have done it about the correct way.

Please, any guidance on how to remove the dome lights, and reading lights in the fiesta(below the rearview mirror in front, and next to the rear roof grab handles) would be highly appreciated guys.
Check your car's owner manual, it should have directions on how to access the bulbs! In my i20, the interior lamp lens has a notch on one end, where one can insert a flathead screwdriver and the lens can be removed from the housing to access the bulbs!

Its there in chevy u-va and accent too! Should be there in your fiesta too!
Old 15th September 2011, 20:56   #5546
BHPian

Hi guys, I stumbled across this very useful thread a few days ago and ever since I have been considering an upgrade of lighting for my vehicle. I have a Mahindra Scorpio VLX with the the new 'blue vision headlights'. If I am not mistaken these are rated at 55/60W(not sure of the company). I want an upgrade to either HIDs or higher wattage headlights. What would be the ideal and most reliable solution for my car without damaging the holders or headlight assembly in the long run. I would really appreciate the help.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:47   #5547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
Hi guys, I stumbled across this very useful thread a few days ago and ever since I have been considering an upgrade of lighting for my vehicle. I have a Mahindra Scorpio VLX with the the new 'blue vision headlights'. If I am not mistaken these are rated at 55/60W(not sure of the company). I want an upgrade to either HIDs or higher wattage headlights. What would be the ideal and most reliable solution for my car without damaging the holders or headlight assembly in the long run. I would really appreciate the help.
Better go for Aux. Lamps Like Hella 500FF or 700FF. With solutions like 90/100 or 100/130 upgrades though they are cheaper in long run chances of Blackening of reflectors are always there. Replacing them later may cost a Bomb at that time. However in wet conditions any of the solutions fail to provide enough illumination and driving with caution is only alternative unless you have provision for all weather Aux. Lamps.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:23   #5548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Better go for Aux. Lamps Like Hella 500FF or 700FF. With solutions like 90/100 or 100/130 upgrades though they are cheaper in long run chances of Blackening of reflectors are always there. Replacing them later may cost a Bomb at that time. However in wet conditions any of the solutions fail to provide enough illumination and driving with caution is only alternative unless you have provision for all weather Aux. Lamps.
Thanks for your reply, I am not really enthusiastic about attaching additional lighting to the car. I would like to continue with something which just makes changes to the stock headlight assembly.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:32   #5549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
small query.
Is it okay if i remove my headlights, remove bulbs, and give a gentle wash to insides with water?
no poking with cloths inside, just gentle sloshes of water filled through the bulb holes?
and leave it to dry completely before putting it back on?
just asking.
ok, so got down to it this morning, and cleaned em out.
will see how much of a difference it makes at night, but initial impressions are quite, well, obvious.

Fiesta people, there NO electricals inside the lamp.
If you take out the headlight completely, all electricals/electronics are left in the engine bay, including the leveling motor.

standard instructions- do not fight to remove or put anything back.
if it opposes you, take a step back and look again fro something you overlooked.

cleaning method:
Poured water in through the indicator bulb holes, held the lamp at an angle, till it started pouring out through the low beam hole.

do set the lamp on the floor, on a bathroom mat or such, to protect the glass from scratches.
also because these things can hold LOT of water, and you wouldnt want a lot of strain at the joint.

Used a hair shampoo diluted to 1 in 10 with water, not for fear of it being too strong, but because the shampoo in base form could go and get stuck somewhere.
once filled up with the shampoo mix, rocked the unit back and forth till clean, drain, fill and wash out repeatedly with clean water till all trace of water was out.

Then used Ro water to wash out, cos tap water will leave residue.

left in the sun for 60 minutes, with turn overs every 10 minutes(again, to stop water standing in one spot and leaving a stain, as well as to get the whole unit exposed and dried.

reinstall!!

here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-leftb4.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-leftafter.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rightb4.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rightafter.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-comparo.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 24th September 2011 at 13:36.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 16:36   #5550
BHPian

Hello all Team-Bhpians,
I've recently upgraded my headlight bulbs to the philips 100/130W. I had a 90/100W setup previously. I was wondering if I need to change the cutout or relay for the new setup.

Note: When I had upgraded on my previous setup I had a new cutout and relay installed.

Most Viewed