Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 17:19   #5731
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I hadn't actually put these on my car yet. I had put one in my Karizma to try (yes I know 55W is the max I should have tried) and found the beam to be yellow.

I'll put up a pic of the bulb and the box later. Hopefully it'll help others to distinguish.

EDIT: @ Mr Singla, Its about time we meet again
If the box is a small size one which can pretty much contain one bulb only, then you have got the normal bulbs (not essential vision). EV's and others like Xtreme Vision etc come in a bit fancy transperant packing with two bulbs in one pack. Also look for the bulb code on the pack and check on philips site. The product code for EV's in H4 should be H4 12569 EV 12V 100/90W P43T or H4 12754 EV 12V 100/90W P43t-38.

PS & OT - yes, let's plan to meet soon. Do you know Bandhav (T-bhp handle)? I think he works in IHDP building. And did you visit that mechanic in saket?

Last edited by amit1234singla : 15th December 2011 at 17:25.
Old 15th December 2011, 22:29   #5732

Hi all,
Posting a query for my friend Apurv.
He has a Optra.
"I Have upgraded my Chevy Optra Headlight bulb (H7 Lowbeam) from 55 W to 80 W . Kindly let me know if it requires a relay or I can run without any trouble. If relay is a must, can someone tell me the details of it ! Can one relay set, be used for both the H1 high beam as well as H7 Low beam?"
Old 16th December 2011, 09:09   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar9 View Post
Hi all,
He has a Optra.
"I Have upgraded my Chevy Optra Headlight bulb (H7 Lowbeam) from 55 W to 80 W . Kindly let me know if it requires a relay or I can run without any trouble. If relay is a must, can someone tell me the details of it ! Can one relay set, be used for both the H1 high beam as well as H7 Low beam?"
I have not seen a relay with 4 output holders, so not sure if one would suffice. Good you bought this topic because i was contemplating the change myself and hunting for a proper relay for h7 holder.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:17   #5734
Senior - BHPian

Just thought of sharing some experience from the 100/90W conversions on my vehicles.
  • My Xylo & Accent are upgraded to 100/90W with relay kits. Xylo since more than an year & Accent since more than 2 years.
  • Philips Rallys installed in the Accent lasted for almost 1.5 years in heavy use. And replaced with another pair of Philips Rallys after one conked off.
  • Philips Rallys on my Xylo got replaced twice in 2-3 months frequency. Then as suggested by my mech, replaced them with a GE 100/90. No issues till date, seems like a good choice but some minor compromise in vision compared to Rallys.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:46   #5735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar9 View Post
Hi all,
He has a Optra.
You probably could use just one relay for the higher wattage bulb and let the lower wattage bulb run in stock wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I have not seen a relay with 4 output holders, so not sure if one would suffice. Good you bought this topic because i was contemplating the change myself and hunting for a proper relay for h7 holder.
I have modified my headlights from two H4 bulbs to four bulbs, i.e. two H3(Hi, 100w) and two H7(Lo, 80w). I am using only one H4 compatible relay, though I had to do some cutting and rewiring. No holders for H7. I merely connected the wire to bulbs using clips.

Last edited by kaynmantis : 16th December 2011 at 11:47.
Old 16th December 2011, 17:43   #5736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I think the civic low beam uses a HB4 type bulb. You could replace this with philips Crytal vision bulbs. The light will be slightly whitish in color and lights up dark roads well.
You need not have to cut any wires or make any changes to the holder if you use bulbs of the same rating.
Hey Guys

I have to drive everyday on the DND flyway and Noida Expressway and at night I can't see much due to the fog and not so powerful street lights.
Generally this would not be a problem but because of the villages on either side of the expressway, people keep crossing the road and sometimes even vehicles are driving on the wrong way.
I have had a couple of scary moments due to this.

Thus, I am thinking of improving the visibility from the headlights (Both High and Low beam) without troubling the oncoming traffic too much.

I understand my options are changing the bulbs or geting an HID conversion kit. But, I hardly know anything when it comes to them.

I own a Honda Civic '11. Please advise in this regard.
Old 16th December 2011, 22:59   #5737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
My responses are all in bold. Others on the forum will also chip in!
I went to Carax Baner Road, Pune today to enquire rates for 100w Halogen bulbs. The funda he gave me was as below:

(Mines a Fiesta (old) 1.6P and has H1 for High and H3 for Low beam.)

1) I only have option of Phillips Halogen lights (CV) and Hella 100w ones.

2) I don't need relays since old Fiesta's have two different bulbs for High and Low beam hence two different wires unlink H4's which has a single wire for both high/low and hence wont be taxed. help - Is he correct here?

3) Which websites do you guys use to buy/lookup various spec lights. or example if I want to know all products availabe in H1 and H3 spec, where to look for?

4) He suggested me H1 100w (Hella) for high and H3 100w (Phillips) for low beam. Each piece costs Rs.450 - so it will be 1.8k for changing High and Low.

5) Wont 100w low beam be blinding for the oncoming traffic?

Last edited by spiritofdriving : 16th December 2011 at 23:01.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:29   #5738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hey Guys

I have to drive everyday on the DND flyway and Noida Expressway and at night I can't see much due to the fog and not so powerful street lights.
Generally this would not be a problem but because of the villages on either side of the expressway, people keep crossing the road and sometimes even vehicles are driving on the wrong way.
I have had a couple of scary moments due to this.

Thus, I am thinking of improving the visibility from the headlights (Both High and Low beam) without troubling the oncoming traffic too much.

I understand my options are changing the bulbs or geting an HID conversion kit. But, I hardly know anything when it comes to them.

I own a Honda Civic '11. Please advise in this regard.
Here are some options.
1. Use clear (meaning not those bluish ones) higher watts bulbs. Clear ones will be yellowish just like stock bulbs. Yellowish performs better in fog and rain. Use relay if using 100w bulbs.
2. Use HID only if you can get yellowish color, something like 4k color temperature. Most sold in the local market are 6k, they have bluish tinge. Horrible in rain. Also HID will perform poorly in this case with stock reflector as they disperse lights a lot. HID performance best with projector headlamps.mso unless you are upto some serious modification to your headlamp, changing to higher wattage halogen bulbs will be a better solution.
3. Fit powerful aftermarket fog lamps like hella. You can make them detachable so you can remove them when not being used for prolong time. Saying so, as a huge hella decorating your front may look funny without proper modification. Oh yeah, relay is required here as well.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:36   #5739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
Here are some options.
1. Use clear (meaning not those bluish ones) higher watts bulbs. Clear ones will be yellowish just like stock bulbs. Yellowish performs better in fog and rain. Use relay if using 100w bulbs.
2. Use HID only if you can get yellowish color, something like 4k color temperature. Most sold in the local market are 6k, they have bluish tinge. Horrible in rain. Also HID will perform poorly in this case with stock reflector as they disperse lights a lot. HID performance best with projector headlamps.mso unless you are upto some serious modification to your headlamp, changing to higher wattage halogen bulbs will be a better solution.
3. Fit powerful aftermarket fog lamps like hella. You can make them detachable so you can remove them when not being used for prolong time. Saying so, as a huge hella decorating your front may look funny without proper modification. Oh yeah, relay is required here as well.
Option 2 and 3 do not seem viable, so I am left with option 1.
I do not want to go with any local bulbs and would prefer something like Philips. What are my options then?
My usual dealer(Elegant, Lajpat Nagar) was saying that Civic's bulb size is not available with Philips. Is that true?
Old 17th December 2011, 10:35   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Option 2 and 3 do not seem viable, so I am left with option 1.
I do not want to go with any local bulbs and would prefer something like Philips. What are my options then?
My usual dealer(Elegant, Lajpat Nagar) was saying that Civic's bulb size is not available with Philips. Is that true?
I am guessing your car uses 9005 bulbs for high beam and 9006 bulbs for low beam. Perhaps your dealer does not have them in stock. Philips make every conceivable bulbs for automobiles and yes, Philips makes 9005/9006 bulbs. Try other shops.

Best is to refer your car manual. Get the bulb type and hunt fot it. Dealers often says a lot of nonsense stuffs. BTW you can visit Karol Bagh. I'm not from Delhi, but heard a lot about it regarding automobiles stuffs there.

Last edited by kaynmantis : 17th December 2011 at 10:39.
Old 17th December 2011, 21:02   #5741
BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing your car uses 9005 bulbs for high beam and 9006 bulbs for low beam. Perhaps your dealer does not have them in stock. Philips make every conceivable bulbs for automobiles and yes, Philips makes 9005/9006 bulbs. Try other shops.

Best is to refer your car manual. Get the bulb type and hunt fot it. Dealers often says a lot of nonsense stuffs. BTW you can visit Karol Bagh. I'm not from Delhi, but heard a lot about it regarding automobiles stuffs there.
I'll find the bulb size but which Philips series to go for?

Karol bagh is not exactly a great place to take your car. 4 lane road with high congestion due to rickshaws and pedestrians.
Old 17th December 2011, 23:11   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofdriving View Post
I went to Carax Baner Road, Pune today to enquire rates for 100w Halogen bulbs. The funda he gave me was as below:

(Mines a Fiesta (old) 1.6P and has H1 for High and H3 for Low beam.)

1) I only have option of Phillips Halogen lights (CV) and Hella 100w ones.
- Go to Nana Peth. You will be able to get 80W bulbs as well.

2) I don't need relays since old Fiesta's have two different bulbs for High and Low beam hence two different wires unlink H4's which has a single wire for both high/low and hence wont be taxed. help - Is he correct here? - This is not fully correct. A simple question. Why would the company put a better guage wire in case they can do with a lower guage. The Vista has a similar setup. (H1/H7).

3) Which websites do you guys use to buy/lookup various spec lights. or example if I want to know all products availabe in H1 and H3 spec, where to look for?
Look on the company websites. Philips Automotive, Osram India, Hella etc.

4) He suggested me H1 100w (Hella) for high and H3 100w (Phillips) for low beam. Each piece costs Rs.450 - so it will be 1.8k for changing High and Low.
Please put a relay and harness. If you dont get a manufactured harness, you can get a custom made harness loom from Nana Peth for 1500- 1800.

5) Wont 100w low beam be blinding for the oncoming traffic?

Yes. What you can do is change the left side bulb only with an 80W. Typically Indian cars have a sharp cutoff on the right because of RHD cars in India.
Most of your answers are in an old post of mine.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2579257

If you have the manual, check what is the rating of your HL relay. Also check if your high beam turns on both lamps. For a single lamp (55W*2) at a time you should have a 12Amp relay typically. Based on my post above just calculate the required amperage and decide whether what the Carax guy said was right or wrong.

The rest of my answers are in bold.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:39   #5743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Just thought of sharing some experience from the 100/90W conversions on my vehicles.
  • My Xylo & Accent are upgraded to 100/90W with relay kits. Xylo since more than an year & Accent since more than 2 years.
  • Philips Rallys installed in the Accent lasted for almost 1.5 years in heavy use. And replaced with another pair of Philips Rallys after one conked off.
  • Philips Rallys on my Xylo got replaced twice in 2-3 months frequency. Then as suggested by my mech, replaced them with a GE 100/90. No issues till date, seems like a good choice but some minor compromise in vision compared to Rallys.
could you confirm on heat generated by 100/90 of these two brands (Philips / GE). be cautious on the 'fog' created within the head-light case. i dont think that has any solution but to replace the entire unit itself - suggestions welcome.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:19   #5744
BHPian

I am looking for a pair of H3 Philips XtremeVision bulbs, no luck so far in Hyd. Please let me know of any shops in Blre that stock these bulbs, thanks.
Old 19th December 2011, 23:59   #5745
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Here are some options.
To Delhi Members,

Please suggests shops that keep a good stock of headlight bulbs and/or any other good auto shop in general in the South Delhi area.

I am confirming the bulb sizes in another thread. Since the fog is playing havoc right now (I drove for 10 kms in zero visibility, 5 on my own and 5 behind another car), it is vital I change the bulbs asap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks