Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2012, 04:46   #5836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem

Whichever bulb you choose, there will only be a marginal difference in performance. I've used Crystal Vision, Xtreme Vision and Nightbreaker Plus. Of these Nightbreaker plus was the best for me since the light was more focused. Crystal vision looked the best.

I have a set of 55W HID currently awaiting transplant into an auxiliary lamp unit. They're intensely bright! Will probably go into a Hella 500FF. 75W modules are also available.

Whats the bulb type in your car?
Bulb sizes are 9005 and 9006.

A pair of the 55W HIDa cost 10k I think.
Plus projector assembly costs would put it a total around 15k.
A pair of Xtreme visions would cost between 2-3k.

That is why I am confused :(

Does projector installation void warranty?
Old 26th January 2012, 09:17   #5837
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Bulb sizes are 9005 and 9006.

A pair of the 55W HIDa cost 10k I think.
Plus projector assembly costs would put it a total around 15k.
A pair of Xtreme visions would cost between 2-3k.

That is why I am confused :(

Does projector installation void warranty?
If you are going for readymade projector headlights, it will come around 15k. The projectors alone will be only 6k. If you are looking for projectors, I would recommend the readymade kits since it will be a lot better looking and perform better.
The projector installation wont void the warranty. As long as you dont cut the OEM wires, you will be safe. All latest kits are plug-n-play devices so that wont be a problem.

Are Xtreme visions 100/90w bulbs? I had used higher rated bulbs before going for projectors. Although they perform well compared to stock bulbs, the headlight assembly gets really hot. I used this only for 2 months.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:26   #5838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If you are going for readymade projector headlights, it will come around 15k. The projectors alone will be only 6k. If you are looking for projectors, I would recommend the readymade kits since it will be a lot better looking and perform better.
The projector installation wont void the warranty. As long as you dont cut the OEM wires, you will be safe. All latest kits are plug-n-play devices so that wont be a problem.

Are Xtreme visions 100/90w bulbs? I had used higher rated bulbs before going for projectors. Although they perform well compared to stock bulbs, the headlight assembly gets really hot. I used this only for 2 months.
They run on 55W for low beam and 65W for high beam, at least according to the eBay deals that I saw, only the filament they have is different (i am guessing its hotter). Thus they are plug and play and do not require a relay, only issue is that their life is shorter tha standard halogen bulbs.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:45   #5839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
If the HID capsule lights up and refuses to give the high beam even after replacing the bulb, something wrong with the harness. Its the solenoid behind the HID capsule makes the beam to high/low beam by pulling it back & forth. The other bulb is working fine means the stock switch is fine, so problem with the harness, defective bulb side flashing wire.There will be a pair of puny wires coming from the bulb base other than the wires to be connected to the ballast is the one you should look for. You can trace this wires at the end of the control box of the harness and check for any loose connection or so. If it turns out to be vain, you can even connect the high beam stock socket wire to the red colour wire or making a parallel connection with the other bulb's puny red wire. It should work.

Attachment 874899
Thanks a lot sajjt. I checked all the connections and tried what you said, still the problem persisted. I've given the whole kit for replacement and will receive the replacement kit next week.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:21   #5840
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on Philips BlueVision Ultra?
Old 28th January 2012, 20:04   #5841
BHPian

Please don't use bluevision lamps, they just appear whiter, the visibility is lower under standard conditions and nonexistent in the rain/when it's wet.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:32   #5842
NKR
BHPian

[quote=naveen.raju;2659141]

Naveen's and others posts have really set the standard in lighting. I went to Emperor,Kochi to have the lighting of my Laura Amibente(2008) changed. The shop is OK but the attitude could improve a lot (this by the way has been commented by a number of others too). I went there nevertheless. There are some questions that you could help me with please. I have installed Night breakers on my low beams as I could not install HID due to compatibility issues. One of the bulbs have developed a 'bulge' and is throwing considerably less light. Emperor Kochi had ' Philips Extreme vision' 55W (but they were out of stock). The other choice offered was to go for Hella 100/90w with relays. These are my queries:-

1. Are there any disadvantages of fitting relays.Will it damage the headlight domes/glasses due to excessive heat. I was also told that you must switch off the headlamps with relays when the vehicle is stationary, why is this. That may not be practical in the city especially in traffic hold ups. Is it really worth fitting relays, Emperor Kochi quoted 2000/- for relays alone apart from the bulbs.

2. Which would be the best bulbs to go for if you want really powerful lights in the low beam being shined through projectors without relays and in the high beams without projectors.The OE wiring is to support for the 55/60 W bulbs.

3.Which would be bulbs that give the best bluish white light. I have seen a few cars throwing some real fine light.

(a) With relays
(b) Without relays

4. Would the bhpians in Kochi suggest a good after market accessory shop with good lighting solutions where we could feel comfortable and get the correct choices. Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 21:35   #5843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post

You are absolutely correct. Although they provide good products, their attitude isnt all that great. This is the reason why I stopped buying accessories here. Please find my answers in bold

1. Are there any disadvantages of fitting relays.Will it damage the headlight domes/glasses due to excessive heat. I was also told that you must switch off the headlamps with relays when the vehicle is stationary, why is this. That may not be practical in the city especially in traffic hold ups. Is it really worth fitting relays, Emperor Kochi quoted 2000/- for relays alone apart from the bulbs.

If you are going for higher rated bulbs, you will need relays. Yes, it will damage the headlight unit. The reflectors will darken and the plastic coating of the cover will peel in the long run. People say to switch it off because it develops a lot of heat. So switching it off will make things better. I tested this in my car. I switched on the lights when the car was stationary. One had 100/90w Osram cool blue bulbs and the other had HID's with projectors. I could definitely feel the difference. The halogens bulbs were really hot while the HID's didnt bother me much. 2000 for relays alone? I bought the entire kit for 1.2k.

2. Which would be the best bulbs to go for if you want really powerful lights in the low beam being shined through projectors without relays and in the high beams without projectors.The OE wiring is to support for the 55/60 W bulbs.

Dude, I recommend normal halogen bulbs in projectors. I tried this when I got my projectors. I couldnt see a thing. I had used Philips 55/60 Halogen bulbs. Next day, I switched to HIDs.
Kindly take a second opinion on this.

3.Which would be bulbs that give the best bluish white light. I have seen a few cars throwing some real fine light.

(a) With relays
(b) Without relays

When using halogens (bluish white light), the output wont be all that great. It wont produce the desired color as seen in high end cars. For this, you will need to use HID's. As mentioned above, I had tried this .
6000k - Bluish white light
4300k - Yellowish white light (best visibility range)

4. Would the bhpians in Kochi suggest a good after market accessory shop with good lighting solutions where we could feel comfortable and get the correct choices. Thanks
There's one just before Lakeshore. No personal experiences, but have seen them feature their products in a malayalam auto show.
Galaxy is one of the best but they are mainly into audio. Check whether they have lighting products. If so, then this is the place for you.

Hope this helped you.
Cheers!
Old 29th January 2012, 23:09   #5844
BHPian

Hi,

Does anybody know a good headlamps shop in Bangalore.I am not really happy with my Aria headlights alignment. Need to get that adjusted and also i am looking it makes sense to get HID kit installed for the Aria.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:23   #5845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Relays as such don't cause any problem. A relay is in fact just a form of switch. The real issue is the higher watt bulb which emits more heat which might damage the headlight. Hence the advice to switch off the headlights when the car is stationary.

2000 for relays is daylight robbery. You get complete wiring kits including relays and ceramic holders for 250 bucks. Good ones like Bosch cost about 500 for the wiring kit and another 200 or so for the relay.

Last edited by Jaguar : 30th January 2012 at 00:25.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:11   #5846
BHPian

Dear All..
Need suggestions/advice.

I am currently running 100/90 pholips rally on my zen and since i do a lot of inter state travel sometimes i just find this lights inadequate.I have recently got myself comet 500 from hella.
My question is if i do fix this comets will it load my alternator or cause any other problems?
I would switch them not for really long but maybe early mornings late nights.

What would you suggest?
Kindlu share your views and thoughts.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:56   #5847
NKR
BHPian

[quote=naveen.raju;2662372] [quote=Jaguar;2662537]

Naveen and Jaguar - Thanks,

I shall bide by your advice. I will look around near lakeshore and Galaxy too. The pricing difference has also been a revelation. Thanks again
Old 30th January 2012, 09:03   #5848
BHPian

Hi All,

I use a Honda City for long drives and find that while doing long drives the headlights are not as bright as I would like them to be

Any suggestions as to how I can increase the illumination for night driving

Cheers
Old 30th January 2012, 09:44   #5849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi All,

I use a Honda City for long drives and find that while doing long drives the headlights are not as bright as I would like them to be

Any suggestions as to how I can increase the illumination for night driving

Cheers
The best method is to install higher rated bulbs or go for aux lamps. Although higher rated bulbs offer good visibility, the headlight unit gets hot easily due to the high temp that's generated. When using this, please go for the complete kit ie, relays, ceramic holders, proper wiring kit.
Aux lamps will be expensive when compared to the other setup but offers excellent visibility range.
Old 30th January 2012, 10:19   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The best method is to install higher rated bulbs or go for aux lamps. Although higher rated bulbs offer good visibility, the headlight unit gets hot easily due to the high temp that's generated. When using this, please go for the complete kit ie, relays, ceramic holders, proper wiring kit.
Aux lamps will be expensive when compared to the other setup but offers excellent visibility range.

If I understand correctly - Aux lamps are preferable as compared to higher rated bulbs - in case I do not want to go in for a total wiring harness revamp. So I would look at adding Aux lamps.

If you could educate me as to what are aux lamps options available in the market and the tentative cost for the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks