Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 07:24   #6001
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i understand the pain and trouble one goes through to get a job like this done from veteran works-men instead of professional. i see the bracket you have is already nickel coated, so this time go to an arc-welding shop ask them to cut it and weld it the other way, and this should be done in an hour max.
[I am guessing the nickel coating part was the one that consumed a lot of time.]
after the weld you can just paint that welded part alone with an anti-rust coat and a silver or black or a color of your choice coat over the welded part just for long term.

if i were you i would do this when i find time.

And as per my fogs on the swift this is the progress so far, nothing final yet!

thoughts, suggetions and comments are welcome, there is a final piece of pipe that is going to be added too later on so the first point of contact would be the pipe instead of the lamps.
Hey, I am planning to fix Hella 500ff's too on my Swift D in some months, although only 2 and I plan to fix them exactly where you are fixing them just that I won't remove the number plate and fix 2 of them next to the number plate and in between the lower air intake and the upper grill.

I had a question for you, when you buy the 500ff's, can we get the black grill with Hella written on it in India ?

This is the one I am talking about, will absolutely brilliant with the grills

Amazon.com: HELLA 165530801 500/500FF Series Protective Grille Cover - 2 Piece: Automotive

Also are you planning to fix a locking nut when you mount the fogs as this will be an easy steal minus any deterrents.

Last edited by humyum : 8th March 2012 at 07:25.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:50   #6002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey, I am planning to fix Hella 500ff's too on my Swift D in some months, although only 2 and I plan to fix them exactly where you are fixing them just that I won't remove the number plate and fix 2 of them next to the number plate and in between the lower air intake and the upper grill.

I had a question for you, when you buy the 500ff's, can we get the black grill with Hella written on it in India ?

Amazon.com: HELLA 165530801 500/500FF Series Protective Grille Cover - 2 Piece: Automotive

Also are you planning to fix a locking nut when you mount the fogs as this will be an easy steal minus any deterrents.
humyum, i am going to be fixing Hella Comet 500 only not the 500ff model, i already bought two pairs of them.

about the grille, i havent come across it mate, dint think of it before, will ask around and see this time.

as per the bolts and nuts go buddy i am searching for them too, i havent had luck finding them yet.

P.S.:
i picked up comet 500 among other for two reasons,
#1. they are the only auxiliary lights from hella India that are reasonably priced, while providing both Driving and Fog type lamp combined in one light piece.
{Driving lamp means the beam would have throw but the beam doesnt spread and fog means the beam spreads wide but the through would not be far enough}
[this is ofcourse leaving aside those hid based lights way too expensive man].

#2. they are easily available despite being a 15yr old design, still do their job wonderfully and are right size for this car, not too big looking, not too small either.

Hella India

Hella India

check out the lamp type in both these pages and they tell you the same.

Last edited by rider60 : 8th March 2012 at 14:09.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:25   #6003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Proposed (received quote from a garage):
  • 2 x 100/90 bulbs for headlamps with wiring kit and ceramic holders: bulbs from Hella and wiring kit/holder locally made. Rs. 1500.
  • 2 x Hella Rallye 3003 auxiliary lights: 12V/24V and they come with 55W, but I'd want to upgrade to 100W. Wiring kit/relays. Rs. 8000.
  • 2 x stock specification fog lamps (might use the ones they replaced originally).
  • Labour + clamp fixing charges: Rs. 1000.
EDIT: vehicle: Ford Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT, 2011 model
Hi my suggestion would be go for Rallye 3000 driving lights instead of 3003 which has beam pattern . Also if you could source from US , geta pair of FF320 or Rallye 4000 both of these retails between 00-120$ these would be awesome ,these are used on Humvee's .

you can check at rallylights.com
Old 8th March 2012, 16:45   #6004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Hi my suggestion would be go for Rallye 3000 driving lights instead of 3003 which has beam pattern . Also if you could source from US , geta pair of FF320 or Rallye 4000 both of these retails between 00-120$ these would be awesome ,these are used on Humvee's .

you can check at rallylights.com
Thanks for the response rm_arjuna; can you elaborate what you mean by "beam pattern"? I'm quite a noob in lighting area.
Old 8th March 2012, 18:28   #6005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

@humyum, dude forgot to mention this little important detail man, if your car has airbags, then i would recommend against putting up the foglamps on the car in the same or similar fashion/place as mine.

the reason being the sensors for the airbags would be blocked. this is perhaps the very same reason why WRC cars have the lights on the Hood and other places away from the crumple/crash zone mate.
Old 9th March 2012, 09:08   #6006
BANNED

The fogs should be as low as possible. WRC cars do not have to drive on normal roads. You do not want to blind the oncoming drivers with silly fog lamp placements. Also, a low lamp does the best job.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:24   #6007
BHPian

Driving beam is spread out and provides illumination on the road edges aswell with a range of 100-150 mts,whereas Pencil beam is more focussed with longer narrow throw / reach of 100-200mtrs .

Pencil beam without proper driving beam is not sufficient also pencil beams are used more in rallying in combination setup consisting of foglamps / driving lamps / pencil beams for better visibility .

I have a Rallye 3003 with H1 55w bulbs installed in my scorpio along with 100/90 bulbs in headlamp , this covers good 100-150mtrs however this is not ideal for single carriageway with incoming traffic as the lux levels from spots are very harsh and will blind the incoming traffic ,so i always switch them off.
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 09:59   #6008
Senior - BHPian

Just curious about it:

Are there any LED lamps available for high beam?
Old 13th March 2012, 13:08   #6009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina
Just curious about it:

Are there any LED lamps available for high beam?
Yea! They are available in both high and low beams!
But they come as standalone units containing LED arrays and projectors sealed in a unit!

A company, Hamsar Diversco makes them! I would've gone for them but currently its prohibitively expensive!

Audi uses Osram LEDs in its low beam lamps. There are multiple of these arranged in the HL each with their own projector!

Problem with Led headlamps is that unlike halogens they heat up at the base and direct the heat backwards therefore the beam is cool, but it needs extensive heatsinking for the led to remain cool and function optimally as it'll have to remain turned on for extended periods. That heatsinking, coupled with position of headlamps(near the engine bay) poses quite a challenge as engine heat will hinder with adequate heatsinking from Led headlamps. Without proper heatsinking, LEDs will eventually fail.

But, if they're heatsinked properly, they will outlast several halogen bulb changes(compared to a car with standard halogens) also, visually they appear more appealing, have nearly negligible response times and depending on color temperature they can mimic natural daylight!

Last edited by sohail99 : 13th March 2012 at 13:15.
Old 13th March 2012, 16:55   #6010
Senior - BHPian

What is the bulb specification of a linea's fog lamp.
the manual says H1,is it similar to H1 for high beam or any different?
Old 14th March 2012, 18:28   #6011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The fogs should be as low as possible. WRC cars do not have to drive on normal roads. You do not want to blind the oncoming drivers with silly fog lamp placements. Also, a low lamp does the best job.
i considered that sgiitkJI, but in this car this is the best i could do with respect to the placement. as per blinding the oncoming vehicles go, i dont switch them all on at one time, when a pair is on, my headlights are always on the low beams with the beam adjusters at setting #3, and i always dip/switch off lights when i encounter oncoming traffic.

P.S. the pics will follow soon along with a few queries on the wiring thank you.

Last edited by rider60 : 14th March 2012 at 18:30.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:53   #6012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
THEY ABSOLUTELY ARE HORRENDOUS. I'm ashamed to call them "lights". On the highways, the visibility was even lower than my stock headlamps.

Lesson learnt. The hard way. 13K rupees and ~2500 kms of frightened driving later. God why did I ever do this?! Mistakes:
  • Going in for HIDs
  • Going in for > 4300K
  • Going in for HIDs on stock reflectors
Current: 35W Bi-xenon for head lamps and fog, complete with ballast and relays. Stock reflectors.
Yes, that is exactly why a few experts recommend against conversion to HID, unless it comes as a kit - replacing the optics too. The shape and intensity of a filament and that of an HID arc, are very different which makes the optical arrangement designed for halogen/filament bulbs, less suitable for HID. This is perhaps why almost all OE HID systems are with projector optics than multi-focal reflector optics used with halogen bulbs.

We tried P8 6000K on the WagonR, and it wasn't much of a gain, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Basically its the color temperature where you went wrong. Had you put 4300k you would have loved the lighting on the highways. Trust me. Anything over this color temperature is waste. My suggestion would be to put HID in fog lamps and higher watt bulb in the main lamps.
Won't the high color temperature make it unsuitable for foglamp use ?
Old 14th March 2012, 23:08   #6013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What is the bulb specification of a linea's fog lamp.
the manual says H1,is it similar to H1 for high beam or any different?
It is H1 for the fog of Linea. It's same as the high beam.

Note:- From my personal experience, the stock H1's are better than the premium bulbs like Osram NB+.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 14th March 2012 at 23:25.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 23:52   #6014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
It is H1 for the fog of Linea. It's same as the high beam.

Note:- From my personal experience, the stock H1's are better than the premium bulbs like Osram NB+.
Is it?
I was thinking of changing all bulbs to phillips extreme power.
What brand are stock bulbs?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 23:55   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is it?
I was thinking of changing all bulbs to phillips extreme power.
What brand are stock bulbs?
Stock bulbs are normal Osram's. I changed all bulbs to Osram NB+. Low, High and fogs. I am happy with low beam but not with high. Either case, these bulbs are pathetic in rainy condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks