Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 18:16   #6091
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is a lot of advise against installing HID lamps on standard headlight, apparently because it blinds oncoming traffic. Can someone explain me why? Doesn't high / low beam exist in HIDs? For example in their webiste the Xenos HID light bulb is mentioned as "hi/low type".

I have been blinded many times, on a daily basis. I have always presumed that's because the other party is on high beam.
Remember the discharge zone in an HID is not the same size as the filament in a Halogen. So you must realign after installing HID. I am told that the better brands are pretty good here. Hi/Lo type is a H4 replacement which moves the bulb for Hi and Lo beam. There are proper bi-xenons which unfortunately are not that popular since the discharge takes some time to get really going.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:58   #6092
BHPian

Thanks Naveen and sgiitk. The Xenos kit I saw at a service centre definitely looks like an H4 replacement.
Old 16th April 2012, 22:02   #6093
Senior - BHPian

I liked the LED DRL's which are available as stock in European Superb Combi / Fabia vRS. Need to upgrade ASAP. I think the current stock bulb is P21W. If anyone can help me procure the LED compatible version (Pure White) for my Skoda Superb, which does not give error on maxidot display, I would be most thankful.

Last edited by dkaile : 16th April 2012 at 22:03.
Old 20th April 2012, 14:55   #6094
BANNED

@dkaile; If you import make sure they are dip left and not dip-right. One chap got Civic projectors from Dubai but did not realise that they being dip right could not be adjusted for proper behaviour.
Old 20th April 2012, 16:49   #6095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys

I need to know if there is a good retrofitter for projector lamps in Delhi NCR. Preferably a tried and tested one and also trustworthy.

If all goes as planned, I would be ordering a complete retrofit kit in the coming days, but there is no point in doing that if I have no retrofitter.

Sushruth had told me about 2 of them, one is retrofit riders and others name I suddenly cannot remember. If they have been tried by someone then that would be great.
If no one is found I guess retrofit riders would be the default choice.
Bump on my old post.
Any suggestions?
Old 20th April 2012, 18:39   #6096
BHPian

I have been looking on eBay for replacements bulbs, and have come across a few. These are :
Philips Diamond Vision 5000K
Philips Crystal Vision 4300K
Philips Extreme Vision 60/55W
Philips Essential Vision 100/90W
Hella White Daylight 3700K,4400K,5000K.

I don't know whether this has already been discussed on the forum previously, but I have some queries wrt to the above.

1. What exactly do these numbers 100/90W, 60/55W and 4400,5000K mean?
2. Most of these listings specify that these bulbs are easy installation, with no wiring and relay required. However, when I had gotten sunfilm installed on my car, I remember a customer who came with a Maruti 800, got Philips 100/90W bulbs installed, and the installer also put in a relay and some wiring. When I asked him the reason for it, he said that it is required to protect the battery and electrical systems, (I don't remember what exactly he had said). So, whom do I trust?
3. Between Philips and Hella, which is a better brand to go for? In terms of quality and reliability?

Last edited by swarnava.m : 20th April 2012 at 18:40.
Old 20th April 2012, 19:09   #6097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

Answers in bold

100 - High beam wattage, 90 - Low beam. Same for 0/55w
4300, 5000 are the color temperatures. They are measured in kelvin. Higher the kelvin value, more bluish the light becomes and less visibility. 4300k is mostly preferred.

2. Most of these listings specify that these bulbs are easy installation, with no wiring and relay required. However, when I had gotten sunfilm installed on my car, I remember a customer who came with a Maruti 800, got Philips 100/90W bulbs installed, and the installer also put in a relay and some wiring. When I asked him the reason for it, he said that it is required to protect the battery and electrical systems, (I don't remember what exactly he had said). So, whom do I trust?
Stock cars have 60/55 or 55/50w bulbs. If you going for the same wattage you can just replace the bulbs. But if you are going for high wattage bulbs, you will need relay, ceramic holder, proper wiring kit. This is to protect the stock electrical system.

3. Between Philips and Hella, which is a better brand to go for? In terms of quality and reliability?
Most people prefer Philips but kindly check with the shops and see what they got to say.

Hope this clears your queries.
Cheers
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 09:32   #6098
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks Naveen and sgiitk. The Xenos kit I saw at a service centre definitely looks like an H4 replacement.
Be careful Xenos is a ballast manufacturer.We do not hoow good orbad are the actual lamps. Xenos has had a mixed bag of posts. There are I think a lot of fakes around. So the reports may be influenced by these fakes. Just make sure it is genuine and AC.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:28   #6099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have been looking on eBay for replacements bulbs, and have come across a few. These are :
Philips Diamond Vision 5000K
Philips Crystal Vision 4300K
Philips Extreme Vision 60/55W
Philips Essential Vision 100/90W
Hella White Daylight 3700K,4400K,5000K.

I don't know whether this has already been discussed on the forum previously, but I have some queries wrt to the above.

I have been using Phillips Extreme Vision, since 2008, as a drop in replacement for my Santro Headlight bulbs. Almost double the output vis a vis the stock bulbs. A good halfway house to Xenon HID systems.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:25   #6100
BHPian

Hi, Yesterday I just did the headlamp bulb upgrade to 90/100 Philips rally with Minda kit; did it from a Lucas auth service outlet in Chinchwad Pune. Car is a 4 year old Indica DLX, with no issues till now.

1) There was no wire splitting / cuttind done.
2) The old holders were taped , and the new holders coming with the kit were used....assuming these are ceramic ones.
3) ONLY CONCERN I have is the power tapping and I need your assurance/ corrective advise on this. The guy connected the earthing terminal on the body frame, hope this is correct way.
Now, The positive and the negative terminals of the kit are directly connected to the battery terminals. I asked him why this is done since this way is bypassing the fuse whatsoever, since Minda has just a relay kit , not a fuse ( I understand...pls correct if I am wrong). He did not say anything apart from that usual way ' saar ,its done in this way in all cars , so its a correct practice' .

So, I just want to know from the experts in forum if this is right practice and is done elsewhere by authoriosed electricians?

If not, what should be done to make it 100% safe from any mishaps like Short circuit or other electrical failures?
Old 24th April 2012, 16:22   #6101
BHPian

I am not happy with the light output of my OHC Type 2 fog lamps. Can you please suggest a better bulb? Will I need to put in a relay and wiring kit for the bulb upgrade?
Old 24th April 2012, 18:53   #6102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
I am not happy with the light output of my OHC Type 2 fog lamps. Can you please suggest a better bulb? Will I need to put in a relay and wiring kit for the bulb upgrade?
If you are going for higher wattage bulbs you will need relay, ceramic holders and proper wiring kit. For the same wattage bulbs, you can check out Philips. It would be better than the stock headlights. For better visibility, you will need higher wattage bulbs.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:33   #6103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If you are going for higher wattage bulbs you will need relay, ceramic holders and proper wiring kit. For the same wattage bulbs, you can check out Philips. It would be better than the stock headlights. For better visibility, you will need higher wattage bulbs.
For the Headlamps, i have already switched to Philips rally 100/90 with relay and wiring. For the fog lamps which philips bulb is recommended (both standard and higher wattage). And can i make use of the existing relay and kit or I need a new one?

Dhiman
Old 24th April 2012, 20:41   #6104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
For the Headlamps, i have already switched to Philips rally 100/90 with relay and wiring. For the fog lamps which philips bulb is recommended (both standard and higher wattage). And can i make use of the existing relay and kit or I need a new one?

Dhiman

If you are upgrading the fogs, you will need the entire kit. Just double check on this since I have heard that you will need one. There are many models available from Philips. Check few pages back for the most recommended one. I havent personally used Philips.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:54   #6105
BHPian

Hi All,

It will be really helpful if anyone can provide feedback on the following product.

Optilux® 7" HID Pencil Beam Lamp

Ideal for:
• Off-road driving only

Features:
• 12V, 35W power usage
• Powerful HID lighting provides exceptional clarity in all driving conditions
• High impact ABS plastic housing with a stamped aluminum reflector and tempered glass lens
• Dimensions : 10.1”H x 8.1”W x 5.6”D

Mounting:
• Upright

Technology:
• Xenon

Single Lamp includes:
• (1) Lamp with Internal Ballast
• (1) Clear Protective Stone Shield
• (1) Xenon Capsule

• (1) Adjustable Mounting Bracket
• (1) Wiring Harness
• Step-by-Step Mounting Instructions