Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 12:23   #6106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Two of my friends upgraded their Vento's stock headlamps to Osram Nightbreakers due to poor visibility on highways. Result is about 30% more vision as claimed by them, even I felt a serious change in overall spread. Both upgraded in Sachin's Koramangala and cost was INR 1100 for a pair which looks decent too.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:48   #6107
BHPian

hi bhpians,
I had ordered a HID kit(4300K 55W) for my VW POLO TDI. I ordered it from OMGCAR2010.com and it cost me Rs.2800 incl. of delivery. On seeing the performance of the HID kit, I was very tempted to buy one for my scorpio fog lamps. so i ordered 55W H8 3000K for my scorpio fogs and the kit reached me and i installed it yesterday. For the scorpio headlamps i initially Ring Sports H4 100/80W. it lasted me for a year exactly. I wanted to get something more bright and i got Philips Rally H4 130/100W. i got them all installed Yesterday and the results have been phenomenal. i drove with the parking lights and fogs and trust me it lights up the road.

When installing the HID in my scorpio, i had to give it a dedicated switch as the OEM Fog switch that comes in the control stalk. The Ecu was cutting the power supply as it was of higher wattage(55W) and the OEM bulb wattage was 35W and hence i decided to put a switch. boy i am not disappointed at all.

i installed the HID as i am planning to go on a holiday and do a lot of travelling especially highways. i did the install in Power Zone, Royapettah.

i am very satisfied with the HID in my fogs. i have seen many scorpios here in chennai with HID in fog lamps but it was 6000K or more. it was mere bling and no performance.

so i took the plunge and am not disappointed at all.

ill let the pictures do the talking.

cheers

gk
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fogs.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lowfog.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-highfog.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-photo.jpg  

Gocool2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:17   #6108
BHPian

Hello guys,

Recently bought a Pulse. Comes with 60/55 light. It was very difficult when driving at night on highways. I have now upgraded them with os ram. It is pretty decent. But still the same problem. Is there an option of upgrading it to 90x100? Folks here said it is not advisable for an acrylic lens.
Please advice.

~Koli.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:36   #6109
BANNED

Remember one thing. Modern (esp clear glass) headlamps have a very sharp cut off. So the problems may be coming from this rather than intensity. When you switch to HID the bulb and discharge zone placement is somewhat different, so you are bound to get more spread. This may be what you are getting.
Old 29th April 2012, 16:03   #6110
BHPian

I have another query. If I install 100/90W bulbs in my car, and do so with a relay kit and wiring harness, what happens when the guys at MASS spray wash the car after service? Won't the water do any kind of damage to the equipment?
Old 29th April 2012, 16:33   #6111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have another query. If I install 100/90W bulbs in my car, and do so with a relay kit and wiring harness, what happens when the guys at MASS spray wash the car after service? Won't the water do any kind of damage to the equipment?
The thing that's exposed will be the relay. It will be well covered and protected. This is for the branded kits. The local kits will not be that secure.
I had personally used these and faced no problems.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 17:27   #6112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The thing that's exposed will be the relay. It will be well covered and protected. This is for the branded kits. The local kits will not be that secure.
I had personally used these and faced no problems.
Thanks for the info.

Well, what brand of relays should I be looking for then? And same goes for the wiring, ceramic holders.. Should I ask for something specific or should I just accept whatever the installer is giving me?

Also mention the respective prices, if possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th April 2012, 07:46   #6113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Well, what brand of relays should I be looking for then? And same goes for the wiring, ceramic holders.. Should I ask for something specific or should I just accept whatever the installer is giving me?

Just go for Philips, Osram etc. Ask for the complete kit. They might handover branded bulbs and give local relays and kit.
Everything should come around 1.2k - 1.5k max.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:59   #6114
BHPian

I put a SUPER relay kit on my brand new Cruze couple of days ago. It seems okay. But is it really a safe kit. I hope it is, as I dont want to screw up my car. Or should I get rid of it and go for a Bosch, Hella or Roots?

BH.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:40   #6115
BANNED

@Gocool2007; Any idea as to what ballasts they are using. Brand and AC/dc. The Price looks hyper-attractive. I presume you got the wiring looms as well.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:05   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There is a lot of advise against installing HID lamps on standard headlight, apparently because it blinds oncoming traffic. Can someone explain me why? Doesn't high / low beam exist in HIDs? For example in their webiste the Xenos HID light bulb is mentioned as "hi/low type".

I have been blinded many times, on a daily basis. I have always presumed that's because the other party is on high beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocool2007 View Post
hi bhpians,
I had ordered a HID kit(4300K 55W) for my VW POLO TDI.
When installing the HID in my scorpio, i had to give it a dedicated switch as the OEM Fog switch that comes in the control stalk. The Ecu was cutting the power supply as it was of higher wattage(55W) and the OEM bulb wattage was 35W and hence i decided to put a switch. boy i am not disappointed at all.

i installed the HID as i am planning to go on a holiday and do a lot of travelling especially highways. i did the install in Power Zone, Royapettah.

i am very satisfied with the HID in my fogs. i have seen many scorpios here in chennai with HID in fog lamps but it was 6000K or more. it was mere bling and no performance.

so i took the plunge and am not disappointed at all.

ill let the pictures do the talking.
HID bulbs are arc lamps. Unlike halogen lamps that give out light along the length of the filament, the HID bulbs give out a point source - that too about 3 times brighter than the corresponding halogens.

The stock reflectors are not designed to reflect such kind of light.

So what you end up doing is just creating a LOT of public nuisance due to the glare created by these lamps. When you install these kind of lamps, I urge you to give a thought to the poor guy in the oncoming traffic who is getting insanely blinded due to your vehicle's glare.

The glare is painfully evident in the pic posted by you..

HIDs are meant to be put in projectors and not in reflectors, so spare a thought for others as well.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Roots and Minda have decent harness kits. Just ensure that you make a few cuts / holes in the wiring conduit (the flexible plastic hose enclosing the wires) to let out any water that gets in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
3) ONLY CONCERN I have is the power tapping and I need your assurance/ corrective advise on this. The guy connected the earthing terminal on the body frame, hope this is correct way.
Now, The positive and the negative terminals of the kit are directly connected to the battery terminals. I asked him why this is done since this way is bypassing the fuse whatsoever, since Minda has just a relay kit , not a fuse ( I understand...pls correct if I am wrong). He did not say anything apart from that usual way ' saar ,its done in this way in all cars , so its a correct practice' .
In cars, earthing and negative are the same thing (ground), so if he has connected a wire of the harness to the battery -ve and has also connected a wire to the car's body frame, I am a bit confused.

The harness has a relay. This relay is driven by the signal that is coming from your car's current bulb connector. The relay connects the battery supply directly to the bulb when you switch on the lights.
Ideally, for a 100/90 set, you should have around 15A to 20A fuse (abt 7.5-8A each bulb at 12V) connected between the battery's +ve terminal and the harness. The fuse should already be there in a Minda harness, but if it is not there, you can purchase one and connect it in series.

You can get it from the same Lucas fellow or Satish Auto (probably the same guy) or at auto shop that is just below SBI (near Big Bazaar) at Chinchwad.

Last edited by keyur : 7th May 2012 at 15:18.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 23:48   #6117
BHPian

Has anybody upgraded to 90/100W on Figo recently?
I had read somewhere in the forum that its not possible to do without puncturing the headlamp assembly, since ceramic holders wont fit into it and the height level adjustor wont work afterwards.

PS: Couldn't find much information on this, so posting.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:02   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Has anybody upgraded to 90/100W on Figo recently?
I had read somewhere in the forum that its not possible to do without puncturing the headlamp assembly, since ceramic holders wont fit into it and the height level adjustor wont work afterwards.

PS: Couldn't find much information on this, so posting.
For a 100/90, you will need to put in a harness with relay. To fit it, you will need to make a hole in the cover (the lid at the back), not the assembly.
It's a pretty straightforward thing and there is no issue of the holders not fitting in.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:14   #6119
AVR
BHPian

Guys,

I have the Safari TCIC and I had fitted 130/110 bulbs about 18 months back which in retrospect was a bad decision. It lit up the road for a few months but off late I see that the reflectors have become darker and the lights seem weaker because of that. Is there something I can do to rectify that? Do they need to be polished again or something? Might be sounding stupid here but am quite dense on this front. Can it be a DIY job or do I need to give it to someone to do it?

Am already planning to change to lower wattage lights. Which ones do you suggest?

Thanks,
Adi
Old 10th May 2012, 16:18   #6120
BANNED

@AVR; Not much except to change the lamps. With higher wattage there is more heat which tends to damage the coating in the reflector. Renewal is well nigh impossible.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks