Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:24   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hey just wanted to find out what the name of the Phillips stock replacement bulbs are called Xtreme Power or Extreme Vision. Im talking about the ones that are similar to stock bulbs in colour not the white/bluish ones.
Im looking to get these for my Beat. I need H4 bulbs right ? And any idea what the fog lamp bulb type is and if these are available for them ?
Also would like to know the approx cost per pair and where in Mumbai suburbs I could pick them up. Any shop at Milan Subway since its close by ?
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:52   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Firstly, the entire job was DIY. Was a cousins car.

Did not use a relay as the fog lamp already had a relay in place. Hence the prescence of another relay and a new wiring would have become messy and to find good holders for H8/11 is not an easy job.
Is this the case with other cars too, or just the Swift comes with relays for the fog lamps ?
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:22   #6288
Distinguished - BHPian

All MSIL cars with factory fitted fog lamps come with a relay as standard, which can be found in the Main fuse box in the bonnet. Not sure about other cars as I dont have first hand experience. Usually Fog lamps come with a relay, as the control signal is from the main illumination switch(ie the combination switch or rotary switch) and then to the sub-switch to control the fog lamps. To spare the circuit from extra load of the fog lamps, usually a relay is provided. The headlamps on the other hand do not come with relays in all cases. Only some cars have relays for Headlamps.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:36   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Just checked with my SA, Polo doesn't come with relays for fog lamps, when i told him about the upgrade he mentioned i'll have to go in for a relay to cope up with the increased wattage.

Any recommendations ?
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:50   #6290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
Just checked with my SA, Polo doesn't come with relays for fog lamps, when i told him about the upgrade he mentioned i'll have to go in for a relay to cope up with the increased wattage.

Any recommendations ?

What is the stock bulb type and wattage? What is the upgrade bulb type and wattage you are lookin for
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:36   #6291
Senior - BHPian

The stock is 12v/35w and a H8 bulb. I'm looking at a 12v/55w bulb for the fogs (Philips BV ultra,4300k) its a H11 type so will need slight modifications i guess.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:19   #6292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The stock is 12v/35w and a H8 bulb. I'm looking at a 12v/55w bulb for the fogs (Philips BV ultra,4300k) its a H11 type so will need slight modifications i guess.
You need not worry about relay then. Total 40w difference won't harm anything. The wires can handle that. Go ahead with your upgrade.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 13:48   #6293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You need not worry about relay then. Total 40w difference won't harm anything. The wires can handle that. Go ahead with your upgrade.
Hey you sure about that ? SA told me to go in for relays as he thought it was "white light" even though i mentioned its gonna be a 20w increase per bulb. Have you tried this on your car ?
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 13:55   #6294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hey you sure about that ? SA told me to go in for relays as he thought it was "white light" even though i mentioned its gonna be a 20w increase per bulb. Have you tried this on your car ?
Yes I have HID on my car fogs and I have not added any additional relay. I am not sure if I20 has a relay for fogs.

If you are very particular about the relay then order a wiring harness for the required socket type and get it shipped. That would give you peace of mind . But my understanding is the stock wiring can easily take 20w more for each bulb
Old 4th August 2012, 14:46   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have HID on my car fogs and I have not added any additional relay. I am not sure if I20 has a relay for fogs.
How useful are these in rains ? I want more usable light over show, will consider a HID over a halogen if its good in rain
Old 4th August 2012, 14:53   #6296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How useful are these in rains ? I want more usable light over show, will consider a HID over a halogen if its good in rain
They are pretty good in rain since mine are 4300k bulbs the light does not get dispersed. Improvement over stock fogs in some 300 percent. If you get a plug and play kit for hid then you can go for it. Worth !
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 15:37   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are pretty good in rain since mine are 4300k bulbs the light does not get dispersed. Improvement over stock fogs in some 300 percent. If you get a plug and play kit for hid then you can go for it. Worth !
The BV ultra halogens are also rated at 4000k, thought there'll be a world of difference with HID's of same intensity. I'll stick to halogens as of now. Btw, where did you buy the HID kit from ?
Old 4th August 2012, 16:36   #6298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The BV ultra halogens are also rated at 4000k, thought there'll be a world of difference with HID's of same intensity. I'll stick to halogens as of now. Btw, where did you buy the HID kit from ?
Ya better stick to higher watt bulb as now now. But if you are bent upon putting a relay then note that you Will have to splice the sleeve . Because I am pretty sure you won't get wiring harness for your fogs socket in Bangalore. You Will have to get the harness imported.

I bought mine online on ebay . Com . Pretty good quality!
Old 5th August 2012, 23:09   #6299
BHPian

This one might be a little weird.

I have a few of the blue LED parking light (wedge type) lying around. I want to attach them to the rear co-axials. What I mean is, I want to wire them up to the same wires that connect to the speakers, so that they light up when the speakers are powered. The speakers are in the boot. The purpose is nothing but just adding to the bling factor.

Two questions.
1. Will this work? Can the bulbs be lit by the power coming through the speaker signals from the HU?
2. Is it safe? I have two doubts regarding this. Firstly, is there a chance that the current through the wires would blow the LEDs? Secondly, will the low resistance of the bulb cause a short in the speaker wires, and thus blow the fuse in the HU?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:32   #6300
BHPian

I had 4300 HIDs on my K2 i10 and changed them to OSRAM's night breakers yesterday.

Disadvantages of HIDs which i faced.

1. Very bad visibility when it rains heavily.
2. The lights actually reflect off the water layer on the roads which leads to less visibility.
3. Even in normal conditions high beam throw is bad.

Maybe it was just that the headlights of the i10 are not built for HIDs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks