Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:32   #6586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusser1 View Post
Actually the existing ones were not working well and hence I was looking to replace them with the New Figo's assembly for the sake of warranty however, the Ford *** refused saying that the size doesn't fit

I also am considering upgrading the headlamps with a relay setup however I am concerned with the issues of the reflector getting over heated and also because the reflector is badly designed and suffers from the throw and reach being inadequate.
Nusser, you must be knowing that the headlight was modified in the facelifted version based on customer feedback. It is beyond doubt that there was problem with the old model of headlights in the Fogo.

Now you have an option of using relay and 100/90, which will be cheaper for you. In case the reflector gets dark eventually you need to replace the same with a new set (older model). This should be a plug & play operation.

Alternatively go for projector headlamps which will greatly improve the throw, your major concern area. It will be costly but take it as one time investment. Use only 4300K HID bulbs and avoid the chinese ones for better result.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:15   #6587
BHPian

Hi All,

I am using Fluidic verna and found the headlights to be pathetic both for city and highway driving.
I did not want to change the wattage, since it would need the plastic cap at the back of the headlight to be cut. Did some research and zeroed down on Philips X-treme vision and Osram Nightbreakers.

Since I had already used osram on my swift(before shifting to 90/100 rally), the osrams are still doing the duty on my brother's figo.
I wanted to try X-Treme vision this time.

Checked on ebay and found the cheapest rate to be 1350! This was way above the price which member claimed on this thread. Checked with a local shop, he was selling on the MRP printed, which came out to be 1200 for the pair. Tried to negotiate for 1000 but the guy wont budge. So decided to try somewhere else.

Checked with another shop and he quoted 900 for the pair . I checked thoroughly and they looked exactly like the ones in pitcutres on the thread and also same as the ones the other guy was selling for 1200.
So, bought them and changed myself.

The packaging claims 100% more light, which i feel is a little too optimistic. I can feel some difference and the light is a tinge whiter too. I will let the pictures do the talking now.

Stock Low Beam:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0348.jpg

Stock High Beam:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0349.jpg

After the right bulb changed, you can notice the changed one is a tinge whiter:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0358.jpg

Philips Low Beam:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0361.jpg

Philips High Beam:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0362.jpg
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:03   #6588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
100/90 is a dual filament bulb while he needs only a single filament unit (90W I think).
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Just upgrade the low beams since high beams are rarely used. Go for 100/90w with relay, ceramic holders and proper wiring kit. Should cost around 1k-1.5k. Check out Philips. There are many models to choose from. Check out the thread where others discuss the various models.
Thanks for your replies!

I do use the high beams often on smaller b roads with sparse traffic. So going by your suggestion I would need to go for a 100 w bulb for the high beam and a 90 watt bulb for the low beam? Am i Right ?

cheers!
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:19   #6589
BANNED

@sai_ace; You are absolutely correct. Two bulbs, two relays, etc.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:48   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hi All,

I am using Fluidic verna and found the headlights to be pathetic both for city and highway driving.
I did not want to change the wattage, since it would need the plastic cap at the back of the headlight to be cut. Did some research and zeroed down on Philips X-treme vision and Osram Nightbreakers.

Since I had already used osram on my swift(before shifting to 90/100 rally), the osrams are still doing the duty on my brother's figo.
I wanted to try X-Treme vision this time.
Not much of a difference apart from i think 5% increase considering the Civic OVRM which is slightly more visible with Philips. But I must say that your cars headlights have been focused really well.

Also if you are going for a relay I dont think there is any splicing required since the relay connectors will connect with the current plastic base and rest of the wires will route to the battery and earthing.

Last edited by motomaverick : 22nd November 2012 at 16:49.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:06   #6591
Senior - BHPian

I have used the older Philips X-treme Power and now the X-treme Vision bulbs; though the increase in brightness/throw is not as much as what they claim (80%/100%), it definitely is about 30-40% better than the stock Halonix/Hella halogen bulbs.

Other equally important parameters to be checked, for effective night-time driving :
  • good/clean windscreen
  • the quality of the headlight reflectors
  • correct focussing of the headlights
  • and finally , one of the most ignored....the quality of the driver's eyesight !
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Not much of a difference apart from i think 5% increase ....
May not be a good idea to judge the improvement in brightness, by looking at photos .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 22nd November 2012 at 17:11.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:15   #6592
BHPian

Where can i procure Roots wiring kit (complete wiring, ceramic holders, relays and fuses) in Bangalore. Couldn't find Sree Durga Automobiles as mentioned in some other thread since they have closed the shop 3 yrs before. Any pointers to the genuine shop who stocks these?
Meanwhile, i'm changing my stock WagonR LXI bulbs to Philips 90/100W Rally H4 bulbs with roots wiring kit.

Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:22   #6593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Where can i procure Roots wiring kit (complete wiring, ceramic holders, relays and fuses) in Bangalore. Couldn't find Sree Durga Automobiles as mentioned in some other thread since they have closed the shop 3 yrs before. Any pointers to the genuine shop who stocks these?
Meanwhile, i'm changing my stock WagonR LXI bulbs to Philips 90/100W Rally H4 bulbs with roots wiring kit.

Thanks.
Please try AK Traders near JC road. This one deals with most types of wiring kits, bulbs, etc.

Please do not use the 100/90 bulbs in the stock wiring, it can fry the wiring set up on account of heavy loads.

Other option is Konark Auto accessories on the lalbagh road. This one is on to the left side after the Urvashi Theatre signal.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:52   #6594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Nusser, you must be knowing that the headlight was modified in the facelifted version based on customer feedback. It is beyond doubt that there was problem with the old model of headlights in the Fogo.

Now you have an option of using relay and 100/90, which will be cheaper for you. In case the reflector gets dark eventually you need to replace the same with a new set (older model). This should be a plug & play operation.

Alternatively go for projector headlamps which will greatly improve the throw, your major concern area. It will be costly but take it as one time investment. Use only 4300K HID bulbs and avoid the chinese ones for better result.
Guess i just need to get going with this then

Thanks Sommos
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:09   #6595
BANNED

@Blue_Thunder; Must also look for micro-scratches on the front glass of the headlamp. There are a couple of threads on it. Essentially, you may have to polish with wet and dry emery paper (1000, 1500, 2000 depending on the opacity) and then Scratch Out.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:13   #6596
BHPian

Quote:
Not much of a difference apart from i think 5% increase considering the Civic OVRM which is slightly more visible with Philips.
Well, tonight was the first drive i did after the change. I also feel that the +100% thing is waaaay over optimistic.

Quote:
But I must say that your cars headlights have been focused really well..
Maybe because it is a 4 month old car?

Quote:
Also if you are going for a relay I dont think there is any splicing required since the relay connectors will connect with the current plastic base and rest of the wires will route to the battery and earthing.
Pardon my ignorance, but i would use a relay if i jack up the wattage. In which case, I would also want to change the holders, which would mean playing with the weather sealant cap?
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:25   #6597
Senior - BHPian

In my experience with Extreme Vision bulbs, The brightness and range has increased by a MAX of 30% but overall I feel that the light beam with them is more solid and crisp if you can understand my meaning ?
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:39   #6598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up

Pardon my ignorance, but i would use a relay if i jack up the wattage. In which case, I would also want to change the holders, which would mean playing with the weather sealant cap?
Ok so you were talking about the plastic lid behind the h/l assy. My bad on not having read properly. But even if you change to higher wattage this plastic should not be effected as most of the heat generated is in front of the reflectors. The only problem will be to seal the lid back along with the relay wires.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:58   #6599
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm replacing my projectors with another set as the installer I used was a moron.
Can someone tell me if there's a way to make the mount more secure?
My understanding, and the method shown is that the projectors mounts on the hard casing of the lamp, behind the reflectors.
I get a lot of shaking when going through bumps.
So, is there a way to ensure wobble proofedness ?
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:17   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Please try AK Traders near JC road. This one deals with most types of wiring kits, bulbs, etc.

Please do not use the 100/90 bulbs in the stock wiring, it can fry the wiring set up on account of heavy loads.

Other option is Konark Auto accessories on the lalbagh road. This one is on to the left side after the Urvashi Theatre signal.
Thanks very much Krishna for the info.
I had one more query. Is Philips 90/100 Rally H4 emits yellow light? As Xtreme Vision is white light which i do not wish to install.

Thanks,
Ramki

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks