Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 13:08   #6631
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys, my father needs to upgrade his headlights. He isn't looking for anything fancy but struggles to see and night with the standard headlights that come with the City. The previous car was fitted with 100/90 bulbs from philips. But that effects the car's battery adversely. Even though both of us are particular about not putting too much stress on the battery[We switch off the headlight when we stop at the traffic lights or when we are backing up our car.] it was still enough to damage the battery within 3years.
Few days ago we had gone to the shop where we get all our car accessories fitted from. The guy showed us a 4300K HID kit that has a 35W rating which he would give to us for 2800. The price has come down from the initial 10000 odd rupees because he has recently tied up with chinese manufacturers and importing directly without involving middlemen. This shop is pretty reliable. But what is worrying father is the possibility of it cancelling our warranty.
Do you guys feel we should install the kit?
Old 26th November 2012, 13:12   #6632
Senior - BHPian

I got Philips Xtreme vision 450 Rs each 2 off them from JC road Blore . I did not get Philips Xtreme power that I had earlier . Is Philips power2night better than xtreme vision ?

xtreme vision is surely better than the stock blub .
Old 26th November 2012, 13:34   #6633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Few days ago we had gone to the shop where we get all our car accessories fitted from. The guy showed us a 4300K HID kit that has a 35W rating which he would give to us for 2800. The price has come down from the initial 10000 odd rupees because he has recently tied up with chinese manufacturers and importing directly without involving middlemen. This shop is pretty reliable. But what is worrying father is the possibility of it cancelling our warranty.
Do you guys feel we should install the kit?
2800k for HID is dead cheap even for Chinese products. But HID's in reflectors wont help much considering the fact that there will be a lot of scattering. Also, it's not effective in rains especially if you dont have projectors. There are many who say that HID's do work in reflectors (maybe a result of the kit and good installation.) Since you already know the shop, just ask them for a demo and see if it's really effective.
Old 26th November 2012, 17:15   #6634
Senior - BHPian

But I am still confused.
Are HIDs, Xenons, Projectors all same?
What modifications are needed in current headlight assembly to fit HIDs, Xenons, Projectors?
How different are the kits for H4 and H1-H7 combination?

Please give me some helpful links to check.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:39   #6635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
But I am still confused.
Are HIDs, Xenons, Projectors all same?
What modifications are needed in current headlight assembly to fit HIDs, Xenons, Projectors?
How different are the kits for H4 and H1-H7 combination?

Please give me some helpful links to check.

2 bulbs.
One with filament, one without, both can be filled with xenon.
The one without filament is is an HID, in which the xenon is charged up(?) to emit light.(other gases may take up xenons place, but you should check.).
Look up arc lamps.
In the filament bulb, the xenon is there purely to stop the filament from burning away.(inert, hence).

Projectors are comparable to reflectors.
Both are ways to dictate how the light is sent from the bulb to the road.
You could have HID or filaments in a projector.

If there is something amiss here, i am sure the resident lighting expert naveen can add on.

For different bulbs, see this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ulbs-mean.html
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 22:14   #6636
Senior - BHPian

I need Long yet Powerful Throw that aid visibility infront of Blinding OncominTraffic

I am Novice in this matter
Which has better illumination (intensity as well as long throw) HID or Projector? Or both have to be used simultaneously?

I get blinded by the oncoming traffic headlights. I have tried 100/90 even 130/100 bulbs in our Indigo LS (sold in Sept.) but I was not benefitted with either. Then I fitted back the stock 60/55W bulbs.

Even I face visibility problems in our Indigo XL (Lo & Hi Beam switched On simultaneously) and Xylo E8 ABS (100/90W). Indigo XL Stock Bulbs H1-55W, H7-55W and Xylo Bulbs- 60/55W (I downgraded from 100/90W to 60/55W because one of the Bulb Filament used to burnt at regular intervals even with an Electronic Relay).
I used to (and still) doubt whether my car's headlights are On or Off in such cases.

That is why I want maximum information on upgrading the Headlights which have Single Barrel HL (Eg.H4 for likes of Xylo) and Double Barrel HL (Eg. Combination of H1-H7 for likes of Indigo XL) to either HIDs or Projectors whichever is better as well as budget-friendly.

Experts advices are welcome.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 26th November 2012 at 22:28. Reason: Added some more sentences.
Old 27th November 2012, 00:18   #6637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
I am Novice in this matter
Which has better illumination (intensity as well as long throw) HID or Projector? Or both have to be used simultaneously?

I get blinded by the oncoming traffic headlights. I have tried 100/90 even 130/100 bulbs in our Indigo LS (sold in Sept.) but I was not benefitted with either. Then I fitted back the stock 60/55W bulbs.

Even I face visibility problems in our Indigo XL (Lo & Hi Beam switched On simultaneously) and Xylo E8 ABS (100/90W). Indigo XL Stock Bulbs H1-55W, H7-55W and Xylo Bulbs- 60/55W (I downgraded from 100/90W to 60/55W because one of the Bulb Filament used to burnt at regular intervals even with an Electronic Relay).
I used to (and still) doubt whether my car's headlights are On or Off in such cases.

That is why I want maximum information on upgrading the Headlights which have Single Barrel HL (Eg.H4 for likes of Xylo) and Double Barrel HL (Eg. Combination of H1-H7 for likes of Indigo XL) to either HIDs or Projectors whichever is better as well as budget-friendly.

Experts advices are welcome.
You're still mixing oil and water.
HID is the illumination, projectors are the focus element.
Since you've tried higher wattage,I suppose the logical progression leads to projectors with HIDs.
Or if you can get bulbs in a lower temperature.
Closer to yellow/ natural light is generally accepted to offer best visibility. Read up for a few pages here on vision, and NB makes from Philips and osram.
Get your reflectors checked. Clean the plastics.
These will be the easier and cheaper solutions, or eliminations, as they may be.
A good set of projectors will set you back about 12k.
8, if you're willing to go DIY.

Read up. Lighting on team bhp is now in close competition with ICE and performance mods.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 12:37   #6638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You're still mixing oil and water.
HID is the illumination, projectors are the focus element.
Since you've tried higher wattage,I suppose the logical progression leads to projectors with HIDs.
Or if you can get bulbs in a lower temperature.
Closer to yellow/ natural light is generally accepted to offer best visibility. Read up for a few pages here on vision, and NB makes from Philips and osram.
These will be the easier and cheaper solutions, or eliminations, as they may be.

Read up. Lighting on team bhp is now in close competition with ICE and performance mods.

Hi Mayank;

Thanks for your reply. I have got a spark and would like to get HID's with projectors installed. How to start this. Any pointers to this would be more than welcome.

Rgrds
Old 27th November 2012, 12:44   #6639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi Mayank;

Thanks for your reply. I have got a spark and would like to get HID's with projectors installed. How to start this. Any pointers to this would be more than welcome.

Rgrds
Your best bet would be to speak to a neighbourhood fitter.
Theres loads of them listed on the web.
Or you could look up DIY kits, if youre open to getting your hands dirty.
Morimoto has them, i think, which you can use without cutting up the reflectors.

Experts?
Old 27th November 2012, 13:12   #6640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Got Hella 500FF installed,and results are good.
and the fact that i can now switch on 8 55W bulbs simultaneously.
Its low beam in picture as viewed from inside.
hi...
Can you please post the info with some pics about the mod jobs you have done for fixing these aux lights? I am running with 100/90 in my linea and because of the excess heat, the reflectors are getting smoked.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:41   #6641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
hi...
Can you please post the info with some pics about the mod jobs you have done for fixing these aux lights? I am running with 100/90 in my linea and because of the excess heat, the reflectors are getting smoked.
I forgot to click the WIP pictures,however i have welded the clamps to the bar just behind the bumper and foam,and routed the clamps through the extreme slots of lower grill on either side.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:11   #6642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
The Reflectors as well as plastic (glass) are clean.
I face visibility issues Only When
1) the oncoming vehicles have Higher Wattage (>60/55W) Bulbs especially on Hi beam.
2) the headlights of those vehicles are wrongly aligned.

I don't face any problem if the headlights of oncoming vehicles are on low beam (<=55W) and/or properly aligned.

Would fitting only HID Bulbs (but not projectors) be helpful in my case or should I go for HIDs with Projectors?
Could you please suggest some good kits?
Quote:
Does it require any cutting or modification to the existing reflector? If yes, is it advisable a DIY or visit to an expert?
Quote:
Whats included in this price package?
I know I am asking too much but thats why we are here, right?

EDIT:- Just now saw Naveen Raju's Post.
Thanks for the explanation. But please suggest some good projector+HID kits which can be used in Single Barrel HL and Double Barrel HL.
I know the Kits might be different for Single Barrel HL and Double Barrel HL.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 27th November 2012 at 15:31. Reason: Corrected some typo sentences. and Naveen's Raju's Post
Old 27th November 2012, 15:16   #6643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Would fitting only HID Bulbs (but not projectors) be helpful in my case or should I go for HIDs with Projectors?
Could you please suggest some good kits? Also does it require any cutting or modification to the existing reflector? If yes, is it advisable a DIY or visit to an expert?

I know I am asking too much but thats why we are here, right?
HID's alone wont help. In fact you will be blinding others just like what you are facing now. Projectors will be needed if you want to make the best use of HID's. Some kits are just bolt on projectors which require no modifications to the reflectors.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 04:00   #6644
BHPian

I am looking for a lighting upgrade for my 2008 Verna currently running stock bulbs.

I have been reading the thread, but frankly cant make anything out

All I want is a upgrade in my lighting without any wires cut and open heart surgery of the car. Is it possible?

What should I do, and where should I go and pay my money
Old 28th November 2012, 10:00   #6645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
I am looking for a lighting upgrade for my 2008 Verna currently running stock bulbs.

I have been reading the thread, but frankly cant make anything out

All I want is a upgrade in my lighting without any wires cut and open heart surgery of the car. Is it possible?

What should I do, and where should I go and pay my money
There are few things you can do

1) Upgrade to other brands using stock wattage. Just replace the bulbs. No sweat. Expect a small improvement in visibility.
2) Upgrade to 100/90w bulbs. Best left to experts. You will need to install relays, ceramic holders and proper wiring. There is no cutting involved. It's just plug n play. Should cost around 1.2k to 1.5k.
3) HID's alone - Not recommended
4) HID's with projectors - This is expensive. The entire setup would start from 10k all the way upto 18 or 20k depending on the kit used.

Option would be the ideal choice and mostly preferred by many.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks