Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 23:18   #6961
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Bhpians need help on headlight relays.

Current setup in my Vento is 100/90W bulbs with PMP relay. It has two 30A fuses which tend to go out say within 5 days with usage of headlights for 1.5 hr during return drive from office.

Think you should remove and reinstall connections to be on the safer side. Maybe there is a loose contact somewhere which is spiking up and fluctuating current now and then. I have PMP relays which havent caused a problem in two years.

Quote:
Bhpians need help on headlight relays.

Lastly can someone provide a way to install & uninstall relay DiY, as I don't like road side mechanic messing up with my car's electrical's. From my understanding of current installation, there is one relay which takes care of both headlamps and has a wire from battery going to the relay and both ceramic holders having a black earthing wire screwed to metal.

Thanks.
If you want to remove the relay only, its as easy as replacing a blown fuse. The relay meant for headlamps have a connector, one on the relay and the female attached to the harness. Grasp both by either hand and pull apart. Just make sure there is no other fastening like a clip or so. If there is, remove or press it first. Removal of the harness is also quite easy. You need to get hold of a cutting plier or spanner usually of 10mm size. Start from the battery connections and end with the male pin of the harness that goes into the stock holders.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 01:28   #6962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Think you should remove and reinstall connections to be on the safer side. Maybe there is a loose contact somewhere which is spiking up and fluctuating current now and then. I have PMP relays which havent caused a problem in two years.
Thanks for the reply. Checked for loose connections, none found.

Another question : What if I replace the 30A fuse with a 40A fuse? Will it cause any troubles? Since extra 10A would aid in more current delivery and wouldn't cause 40A fuse to melt out which in the case of 30A is a regular affair.

Please advice.
Old 24th February 2013, 17:51   #6963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Checked for loose connections, none found.

Another question : What if I replace the 30A fuse with a 40A fuse? Will it cause any troubles? Since extra 10A would aid in more current delivery and wouldn't cause 40A fuse to melt out which in the case of 30A is a regular affair.

Please advice.
I think it'd be safer to replace it with a new relay harness(philips) and use a little silicone dielectric grease on the connections!

Replacing 30A with 40A fuse is not a good idea!
Old 24th February 2013, 21:10   #6964
BHPian

Dear team bhpians please suggest auxiliary lights for my strome . I do regular night drives on the highways , though the existing lights are good , extra lights with a longer range will be of help during night drives on lonely stretches. Also suggest places to buy in Bangalore . Thanks in advance .
Old 25th February 2013, 19:13   #6965
Team-BHP Support

Any downsides to downgrading to OEM bulbs from a relay-based 100/90W setup?
Car in question is a Hyundai Accent 1.5P.

The headlamp assembly gets a bit too hot after a couple of hours of night driving with the 100/90 bulbs, and I don't want trouble on a long drive planned this weekend. I never got these installed in the first place, and I'm not too keen on retaining the setup if I can get decent lighting with an OEM-rated bulb. I also have OEM fog-lamps installed, if that helps in mitigating some of the illumination lost with the downgrade.

Are Philips XtremeVision 100+ (60/55W rated) available off the shelf easily?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2013 at 19:21.
Old 25th February 2013, 20:06   #6966
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Dear team bhpians please suggest auxiliary lights for my strome . I do regular night drives on the highways , though the existing lights are good , extra lights with a longer range will be of help during night drives on lonely stretches. Also suggest places to buy in Bangalore . Thanks in advance .
Since your car has projectors, get a good HID kit installed. 4300K to give you good visibility. Get a reputed brand like Philips or something, don't worry about the warranty since the HID has its own wiring. But do make sure you go to a good installer.

Then for the high beam bulbs, upgrade those to something like extreme vision, which should again give some more light. Only after these, if you still find the light output lacking, then look at Aux lights.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 23:40   #6967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have PMP relays which havent caused a problem in two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I think it'd be safer to replace it with a new relay harness(philips) and use a little silicone dielectric grease on the connections!
Changed the relay today with ROOTS for Rs 1000 with installation from Opera House. I think I overpaid by huge margin. What are your all views about the ROOTS brand?
Old 26th February 2013, 08:01   #6968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Changed the relay today with ROOTS for Rs 1000 with installation from Opera House. I think I overpaid by huge margin. What are your all views about the ROOTS brand?
1k just for the relay? You must be kidding. You could have got a phillips relay + entire wiring harness for that amount, leave any other brand. The common relays I have seen is from Roots, PMP, Lumax and Bosch, which is not available lately as far as I know. It is a reputed brand when it comes to lights and horns. But you paid a lot. A headlamo relay costs less than 350, unless you got the entire harness changed.
Old 26th February 2013, 08:37   #6969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You are kidding right? 1K for a relay is daylight robbery. Last time i checked in bangalore, hella 40A relay costed 350 in bangalore!

Roots is a good brand.But unless you have changed the entire wiring harness, 1K is robbery!
Old 26th February 2013, 10:21   #6970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1k just for the relay? You must be kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You are kidding right? 1K for a relay is daylight robbery. Last time i checked in bangalore, hella 40A relay costed 350 in bangalore!
I got the complete wiring harness with dual head lamp relay. I guess I still paid a lot. How much does ROOTS wiring harness with dual head lamp relay cost? I had sent the driver to have it changed, seems he made a buck for himself.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:26   #6971
Distinguished - BHPian

Think the wiring harness of most brands cost 400-500. Add 200-300 for the relay. That means you paid more. Only the phillips kit coated some 1100+ that too in reliance autozone. Think outside it will come to around 1k rupees.
Old 26th February 2013, 19:39   #6972
BHPian

Hey buddy...can u share the pics of your leds and prefarable a video from you tube of ur car will help us to view this nice work ..
Old 28th February 2013, 13:25   #6973
BHPian

Not sure if this needs to be here ,thought i'll share.

Got this fixed on my santro ,these are Hyundai 'ghost lights'.Looks pretty cool eh!(apologies if the picture quality is sub standard)
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-new-image.jpg  

Rajesh Rawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 17:00   #6974
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it looks good. Is this a DIY ?
Would you mind sharing the cost and from where you procured the material.
Old 28th February 2013, 18:31   #6975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Yeah, it looks good. Is this a DIY ?
Would you mind sharing the cost and from where you procured the material.
Got it online from dailyobjects.com .inr 1700 for 2.(There are other brands as well vw/honda/suzuki etc)

Got it fitted through a local accessory shop ,this requires a drill towards the bottom of the door for the lights to be placed there.the moment you open the door it will flash on the floor.

You can always have an on/off switch option incase you dont want it to beam everytime

Cheers,

RR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks