Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 11:18   #7066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Then the best bet for you is to upgrade the fog lamps with higher wattage bulbs. I wanted something that's not too bright like Philips so went for the Chinese brand. Upgrade your fogs to Philips with higher wattage bulbs.
I already have a Phillips relay so do I need another relay for the fogs? Also would ceramic holders be required for it as well?
Old 26th March 2013, 11:52   #7067
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I already have a Phillips relay so do I need another relay for the fogs? Also would ceramic holders be required for it as well?
Yes, you would need if you are going for higher wattage bulbs. I recommend you to go with ceramic holders although many have suggested not to go for them. Just check with the mechanic to be sure.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 13:54   #7068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you would need if you are going for higher wattage bulbs. I recommend you to go with ceramic holders although many have suggested not to go for them. Just check with the mechanic to be sure.
I think I'll use the regular ones then.

By the way is it advisable to splash water over the headlamps (I'm now using 100/90w) when I stop over during long drives or let it cool down by itself. I think sprinkling water might damage the reflectors, what say?
Old 26th March 2013, 13:56   #7069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I'll use the regular ones then.

By the way is it advisable to splash water over the headlamps (I'm now using 100/90w) when I stop over during long drives or let it cool down by itself. I think sprinkling water might damage the reflectors, what say?
It can damage the plastic coating. Have personal experience. Plastic coating starts to peel off after couple of months. Wont recommend doing that.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:05   #7070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It can damage the plastic coating. Have personal experience. Plastic coating starts to peel off after couple of months. Wont recommend doing that.
Do you mean by itself or only if I try the water stunt?
Old 26th March 2013, 14:16   #7071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean by itself or only if I try the water stunt?
In both cases. Mine started to peel off even without the water splash and my friend reported this and he had tried water splash. So guess that didnt work.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:25   #7072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In both cases. Mine started to peel off even without the water splash and my friend reported this and he had tried water splash. So guess that didnt work.
What??!! How come none of the people on the forum report this, I thought I only needed to worry about blackening of the reflectors, if the coating itself starts to come off then what good remains of the reflectors? Don't their light throwing ability get compromised?

Last edited by fine69 : 26th March 2013 at 14:26.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:30   #7073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What??!! How come none of the people on the forum report this, I thought I only needed to worry about blackening of the reflectors, if the coating itself starts to come off then what good remains of the reflectors? Don't their light throwing ability get compromised?
Maybe they havent experienced this. The plastic coating is on the headlight cover and not on the reflectors. It will breakdown as fine crystals (from my personal experience).
Old 26th March 2013, 15:41   #7074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want it for the bling factor but during highway drives in daytime. I did see the DRLs that you got but these wouldn't be as powerful as the fogs.

Also, the bulbs in the fog lamps would be cheap to replace and I can do that every 6 months also if required.

I could even go with a higher wattage than 55 or 60 because the fog lamp reflectors are cheap and can be replaced upon blackening.
You would keep your fogs on during the day for your highway drives.
What purpose would that serve actually.
Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to learn more about the idea that you have in mind.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:05   #7075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to learn more about the idea that you have in mind.
Others can see your vehicle better, and even from farther. Also while overtaking, the vehicle in front tends to notice you better with the lights on, rather than without em on.
(Apologies for barging into the thread!)
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 22:53   #7076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
You would keep your fogs on during the day for your highway drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Others can see your vehicle better, and even from farther. Also while overtaking, the vehicle in front tends to notice you better with the lights on, rather than without em on.
(Apologies for barging into the thread!)
Precisely what Geo_Ipe said. 90% of after-market DRLs that I've seen are good for nothing, just the bling factor. Some genuine ones that are bright enough to get noticed in a rear-view mirror are too heavy on the pocket (at least for me) so bright bulb in fog lamps would do the trick for me.

I've driven with high-beam at the lowest angle during daytime but now with 100/90w bulbs it just isn't an option.
Old 27th March 2013, 00:51   #7077
BHPian

Well thanks Sommos, but I was under the impression that i won't need a projector, and can install the HID on the default one, right?

On a side-note, it's sad that the Mitsubishi guys here in Blore aren't as helpful as Honda in getting your car customized; my neighbor got his Accord customized very beautifully through the Honda dealership (they may have charged him a bomb, and I'm not sure about the cost though).

And, can you put the same DRLs that Skoda is currently giving on new vRS or Merc giving on the new c200/220 on the Cedia?
Old 28th March 2013, 09:00   #7078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
Well thanks Sommos, but I was under the impression that i won't need a projector, and can install the HID on the default one, right?
Well you certainly can and nobody is going to stop you.

But the HID in stock reflectors produce a huge glare that is very inconvenient for any driver coming from the opposite. Even if you put it in low beam the glare will be there for sure. Benefit of a projector here is that the beam is focussed and the projector has a proper cut-out that prevents the light from going upwards.

As a sensible member of this forum I would request you to fix HID only with projector setup. Decision is yours.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 03:20   #7079
BHPian

Well yep of course, I hate those blue lights, and glaring beams coming from opposite side, so I'm not going to follow their foot-steps. All these years, I've never gotten any external lights installed on any of my cars; have played around with audio, sub-woofers, steering, floor mats, external kits etc etc, but never the lighting.

Anyway, can you suggest a good place in Bangalore (preferably south Bangalore around J P Nagar, Jayanagar, BTM, Bannerghatta road etc) where I may get a good set of projects plus HID kits for my Cedia? Was also looking for something funky for my s80 - do you know where I may get something like what you see in this pic?

Pardon my ignorance; I understand all about engine, transmission, external accessories, wheels, rims etc, but not the lighting!
Old 29th March 2013, 06:15   #7080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
Well yep of course, I hate those blue lights, and glaring beams coming from opposite side, so I'm not going to follow their foot-steps. All these years, I've never gotten any external lights installed on any of my cars; have played around with audio, sub-woofers, steering, floor mats, external kits etc etc, but never the lighting.

Anyway, can you suggest a good place in Bangalore (preferably south Bangalore around J P Nagar, Jayanagar, BTM, Bannerghatta road etc) where I may get a good set of projects plus HID kits for my Cedia? Was also looking for something funky for my s80 - do you know where I may get something like what you see in this pic?

Pardon my ignorance; I understand all about engine, transmission, external accessories, wheels, rims etc, but not the lighting!
That ring you see in the picture is called angel eyes fitted on what looks like a projector setup. So what you want are projectors with angel eyes and HIDs. There are a lot of funky colors available in the market for angel eyes, including red purple etc. take your pick.

Most Viewed