Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 21:26   #7216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm delighted to tell you that I've got my problem fixed at the local accessories shop near my home, from whom I buy stuff like perfumes, mats, sun film, etc.
Glad to hear that everything went according to the plan. OE accessories are really expensive. No wonder the local shops are buzzing with cars. I have had two cars from Ford. For the limited edition Ikon, I really wanted the chrome grill. When I asked the SA, he quoted around 15k just for the grill. Although the accessories are expensive, I was completely satisfied with them so soon after the Ikon, I got the Fiesta. If everything goes well, another car from them will join me in another couple of months.

As i had mentioned, the SA will be really helpful as your car munches more miles. My Fiesta clocked 80k kms and the SA really helped me out during service.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 18th May 2013 at 21:27.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 21:54   #7217
BANNED

I got a set of hella rallye 3003 compact for my Swift. Now planning to get it installed. I need to get a bracket fabricated to support the for the lightbar which is mounted on the plastic bumper. This bracket will be bolted or welded to the cross member and support the light bar from behind the bumper and will be invisible from outside.

Can someone recommend a garage in Trivandrum which is good with fabrication? The place i used to frequent isn't good anymore.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1010110.jpg
Old 18th May 2013, 22:43   #7218
BHPian

Hi All,

I have bought the below DRLs from aliexpress for my 2012 Fluidic Verna. They arrived today.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_2517_neo_img.jpg

Now, the delima I have is, how to connect the DRLs so that they turn on when the car is running and turn off when the headlights are turned on. As far as the fog lamp goes, the existing wiring will connect to the holder and it would work like usual.

Request your valuable inputs please.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:25   #7219
Distinguished - BHPian

I was switching over to new headlamps, and decided to play around with some acrylic. Idea was to get some edge lighting going, but no room.
Finally, sanded the acrylic, mounted the leds behind it, and got this.. kind of a half brow.
Attached Images

Old 20th May 2013, 11:08   #7220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I got a set of hella rallye 3003 compact for my Swift. Now planning to get it installed. I need to get a bracket fabricated to support the for the lightbar which is mounted on the plastic bumper. This bracket will be bolted or welded to the cross member and support the light bar from behind the bumper and will be invisible from outside.

Can someone recommend a garage in Trivandrum which is good with fabrication? The place i used to frequent isn't good anymore.

Attachment 1085128
Looks Awesome! Congrats BTW what was the price for a pair of them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th May 2013, 16:37   #7221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hello All,

I have new wagon R purchased in April 2013. I want to know if I can change the stock Headlight Bulbs without adding 100/90 Relay and bulbs. I have 100/90 put in my Dezire and my earlier 800 which wrks very good. Wagon Rs light seems good but stil I want to check if there are any good options available like Phillips Extreme/ Osram NB or Hella etc.

Regards
Hello All,

Now there is opinion change after a long Highway drive of 700Kms over a weekend. I had gone to my Native place where I drove my Wagon R over 700Kms . around 400Kms was driven in dark(either early morning/late evening/night. I found the headlights which seems to be good in city trafic are not good for Highway -Night Drive. I want to upgrade to 100/90W set Up now. I have following queries. Gurus , Pls answer so that I can Upgrade.

1) Which Bulb ? - 100/90W - Phillips/Osram/Hella/ Any Other ? - I want clear and bright light -No White at all. Reliable .

2) Which Relay? - Reliable and long lasting.

3) Will this 100/90W set up do harm to my OE Head Light set up like Blackening / Melting of parts. To avoid such what should I do?

4) I have Wagon R LXI so NO OE Fog lamps - Which Fog lamps are better? Are any good Fog lamps available other than OE? Is there any upgrade possible like 100/90W?

5) One more point - Is there any set up which can protect the Head light Bulbs from going OFF if vehicle started with lights ON - This is considering my Wife using Wagon R who is a Newly Trained Driver.

Regards,
Old 20th May 2013, 17:17   #7222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Night Drive. I want to upgrade to 100/90W set Up now. I have following queries. Gurus , Pls answer so that I can Upgrade.
What bulbs is your car currently running? Have you tried Osram Night breakers (55/60W)?
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 23:17   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
What bulbs is your car currently running? Have you tried Osram Night breakers (55/60W)?
I am currently having standard OE bulbs. Not tried any.Also planswer my other queries.
Old 21st May 2013, 01:57   #7224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently having standard OE bulbs. Not tried any.Also planswer my other queries.
I would recommend that you try some of the newer bulbs like Osram NB, Phillips Extreme first. I have found these bulbs to be really good in all driving conditions. If not satisfied with these, then go for an upgrade.
Old 21st May 2013, 02:14   #7225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would recommend that you try some of the newer bulbs like Osram NB, Phillips Extreme first. I have found these bulbs to be really good in all driving conditions. If not satisfied with these, then go for an upgrade.
I replaced the stock lamps on my Cruze with 60/55 Philips Xtreme Vision. I observed only a marginal improvement over the OE bulbs. In my continuing quest for better highway lighting without changing the wattage and adding relays, I replaced the Philips with Osram Nightbreakers. I personally found these to be far better although I am not completely satisfied. This is probably due to the reflector design and may be the final solution lies in finding the right set of projectors.
Old 21st May 2013, 06:42   #7226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is it ok to wash the engine bay with mild pressure or almost no pressure while I've got philips relay and all those plugs sitting in the engine bay?
A colleague who used to wash the engine bay of his Polo was advised against it the the service centre because possible water ingress into the sensors will damage it. Sensors are expensive, like Rs.8000 a piece. Engine bay is not publicly visible, so why wash it? If however you want to maintain it clean blow high pressure air at it, just like how the service station do it.
Old 21st May 2013, 08:17   #7227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I replaced the stock lamps on my Cruze with 60/55 Philips Xtreme Vision. I observed only a marginal improvement over the OE bulbs. In my continuing quest for better highway lighting without changing the wattage and adding relays, I replaced the Philips with Osram Nightbreakers. I personally found these to be far better although I am not completely satisfied. This is probably due to the reflector design and may be the final solution lies in finding the right set of projectors.
Cruze is known to have one of the best headlamp reflector design. That's why you have not found much improvement even after changing the bulbs
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:47   #7228
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Looks Awesome! Congrats BTW what was the price for a pair of them?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks. Lightbar arrived, yet to install this on the car.
Price is 7.5k for the pair. It doesn't come as a kit, so just the lamps, bulbs and the base clamps. No wiring kit included.
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:42   #7229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Cruze is known to have one of the best headlamp reflector design. That's why you have not found much improvement even after changing the bulbs
Agreed. I tried searching for complaints from other Cruze owners but cant find any here. After having driven the Cruze for the past one year over a variety of roads, I found the lights quite poor on the highway. I think the light scatters away so it affects the throw. I have strain my eyes at night. What I mean is that it could have been better. May be a higher wattage but I dont want to fiddle with it right now. Coming to think of it, why do most manufacturers stick to 60/55 set up? Apart from cost cutting that is.

I do have plans to replace the entire assembly with projectors once I have some dough to spare. The dealers here have some options, so I suppose they are GM approved. Will check once I decide. Going off topic, I even found the RD tuning box for the Cruze in their accessory section! Cant decide between the lights and the tuning box.

I don't know if its just my perception or if other Cruze owners too feel the same about the headlights.
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:38   #7230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I found the lights quite poor on the highway. I think the light scatters away so it affects the throw. I have strain my eyes at night.

The dealers here have some options, so I suppose they are GM approved. Will check once I decide. Going off topic, I even found the RD tuning box for the Cruze in their accessory section!

I don't know if its just my perception or if other Cruze owners too feel the same about the headlights.
I agree wholeheartedly with the scattering of light. Even though I rarely drive on highways, I definitely don't find the lights upto my expectations from a 15 lakh+ vehicle. Add the 90/100 watts used by many other users and rapid driving is nearly impossible on 2 lane highways!

55/60 watts is mandated by the CMV Rules/Act and no India manufactured car can exceed this wattage legally.

By the way, be careful of what accessories you see at GM dealers. Not all are approved unless it specifically states so on the packaging. I have seen multiple dealers stock a lot of stuff casually. They may or may not be 'approved'. For example, I would be very surprised if the RD box is approved without extensive testing!

Even projectors will not have any warranty - globally, the Cruze does not have these as standard even on the top variants. So all 'warranty' will be from the dealer!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed