Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 22:33   #7276
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Won't all this extra power lights effect the charging capacity of the battery?? I faced this problem when I was running 100W something head lights with cut out etc, hella fogs, driving at night with A/c on full blast. After about half hour into the drive the horn went weak. When I stopped for a cuppa tea the car would not start.(battery did not have juice to turn over the engine). Started the car by pushing and popping the clutch. Contunied rest of journey with out the fogs switched on and switching off AC and head lights off when ever possible. After that I removed the cut out and hi powered head lights and the fogs. Now OK.
Old 29th May 2013, 22:47   #7277
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens when I take my Sx4 for a drive in the city at night with 90 + 90 + 35+ 35watt lights with AC running. When I switch off and switch on the car, the headlamp turns off during cranking. After that I have made it a point not to run everything together. Of course, they aren't needed too. Fogs are decent enough for the city and I use main lights on highways. If the road is pitch black I use them both.
Old 30th May 2013, 09:40   #7278
BANNED

Most cars have a relay which switches off other circuits when cranking. Fogs in the city??? Use dipped beam or parking lights as appropriate.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 09:45   #7279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Won't all this extra power lights effect the charging capacity of the battery?? I faced this problem when I was running 100W something head lights with cut out etc, hella fogs, driving at night with A/c on full blast.
Isn't it dependent on the battery and alternator capacity? Yes, I think additional Hella fogs would be the cuprit. Never faced issues with 100W relay on any of my cars yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Happens when I take my Sx4 for a drive in the city at night with 90 + 90 + 35+ 35watt lights with AC running. When I switch off and switch on the car, the headlamp turns off during cranking. After that I have made it a point not to run everything together. Of course, they aren't needed too. Fogs are decent enough for the city and I use main lights on highways. If the road is pitch black I use them both.
Didn't you turn off all the lights before stopping the engine? And turn it on after starting? Its a best practice to keep only parking lights while you switch off the car even in traffic as headlamps consume reasonably good power volumes.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:12   #7280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_jayaraj View Post
Hence, concluded to buy higher wattage bulbs and was able to source Philips HB4-9006-70W for low beam (2 pcs - one on each side) and Philips HB3-9005-100W (2 pcs - one on each side) for high beam after a long hunt at JC road, Bangalore. Each bulb cost me INR 250 as I bought this from a dealer.

Can anyone please let me know if I can use these bulbs as direct plug and play or would I need a wiring harness/relay? I searched for compatible wiring harness and ceramic holders for HB3/HB4 bulbs all day at JC road but was in vain. Are you guys aware of any outlets in bangalore or online where I can source them? Also, would I need two relays as there are total 4 bulbs (2 on each side)?

I am looking for better visibily at night and your inputs are highly valued.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi Jayaraj,

Can you pls let me know where you found these bulbs from? Even I am looking for these for a long time.

Also, pls update all of us about how you went about the fitting finally.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:01   #7281
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to switch them off. But there were times I forgit during the initial days. Now I use them sparingly. So no issues of low voltage in the battery.
Old 30th May 2013, 21:23   #7282
BHPian

Update: I visited the nearby 3M Car Care and they had a look at my headlight lens glass. As per them the scuffing and discolouration is on the inside of the glass. They'll not be able to do any polishing or restoration on the inside. They asked me to replace the entire assembly :(

Took the car to a nearby mechanic and he mentioned that he can polish and remove the smudges on the inside of the glass after removing the entire glass assembly from the body. I don't know whom to believe now.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:05   #7283
BANNED

@Derezzed; Such fixes have been reported on the forum, and are not too uncommon. Only watch out that the chap seals it back properly.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:43   #7284
BHPian

All,

I am looking for replacement lamps in 60/55W for my i10. I am looking only for retrofit lamps and have narrowed down to Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram NB+.

Can anyone suggest me the best among these two. Does anyone know the colour temperature of Osram NB+ as I do not want a bluish white light.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:23   #7285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
All,

I am looking for replacement lamps in 60/55W for my i10. I am looking only for retrofit lamps and have narrowed down to Philips Xtreme Vision and Osram NB+.

Can anyone suggest me the best among these two. Does anyone know the colour temperature of Osram NB+ as I do not want a bluish white light.
You can try Philips Rally 100/90W. It has that conventional yellow light, only brighter than those 60/55W. I changed mine to them some 2-3 years ago and I am satisfied with the light they emit. It was a direct fit and did not involve any changes in the wiring, etc.

Back then pair of those costed me Rs. 300/-, so that aspect was not bad either.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:43   #7286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You can try Philips Rally 100/90W. It has that conventional yellow light, only brighter than those 60/55W. I changed mine to them some 2-3 years ago and I am satisfied with the light they emit. It was a direct fit and did not involve any changes in the wiring, etc.

Back then pair of those costed me Rs. 300/-, so that aspect was not bad either.
On which car did you do this? This is rather surprising to me.

Whoever I know changed to 100/90, needed a relay, thicker wiring and ceramic holders.

At least theoritically, your bulb should draw current of 100/12 = 8.33 A instead of 5A by the 60/55W lamp.

I am surprised at how the existing wiring and holders handle the additional heat.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:45   #7287
BANNED

Quote:
All,

I preferred the NB+ in my Brio. Reason - NB+ is German and XV Chinese. There have also been reports of the XV failing faster. Functionally they are nearly the same. The filament runs hotter, so the light is a bit more bluish, but nothing to bug us. You do not even notice after a day.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 11:52   #7288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On which car did you do this? This is rather surprising to me.
The one in my signature; the old Zen

Quote:
Whoever I know changed to 100/90, needed a relay, thicker wiring and ceramic holders.

At least theoritically, your bulb should draw current of 100/12 = 8.33 A instead of 5A by the 60/55W lamp.

I am surprised at how the existing wiring and holders handle the additional heat.
Even I was little reluctant to follow what the fitter said. It was not done at MASS, but a different accessories shop. It was a 5 minute job and the change was very positive in terms of lighting.

Did not fit any relay or had any wiring change. I don't know if older vehicles like mine came with thicker gauge wires which could handle some extra load, may be more experienced people on forum can comment on this, but I have done a lot of night highway drives with this set-up and never once I had any problem. May be they are a lot gentle than the 130/110 W set up. Another fact may be that when the engine is running, the alternator also puts out volts which can be measured in upwards of 14V across battery terminals. Hence, the Amps drop: 100/14= ~7

Last edited by saket77 : 31st May 2013 at 12:14. Reason: alternator load sharing.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 11:52   #7289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I preferred the NB+ in my Brio. Reason - NB+ is German and XV Chinese. There have also been reports of the XV failing faster. Functionally they are nearly the same. The filament runs hotter, so the light is a bit more bluish, but nothing to bug us. You do not even notice after a day.
Thanks sgiitk Sir. By any means do you know the colour temperature of NB+.

I do not bother about bugging me but they become cop magents and we tend to get fined.

It happened to me when I had the crystal Vision in my Pulsar. It was just 5,000K yet good enough to be caught
Old 31st May 2013, 12:41   #7290
BHPian

Quote:
they become cop magents and we tend to get fined.

It happened to me when I had the crystal Vision in my Pulsar. It was just 5,000K yet good enough to be caught
+1 to that. Exactly the reason I'm apprehensive about installing NB+ in my car. Are there any laws on colour temperature? The cops out on the road don't have the means to check the wattage. When they're out on one of the enforcement drives, they'll flag you down for anything that looks different from the usual on a A, B, C segment vehicle. The beemers may get away with it.
SlowRider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks