Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 14:51   #7336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Chevy offers dual beam flash on single pod headlights which is a great tool for these high beam riding morons. If you are on low beam and flash the high beam the low beam stays on. .
That is more of measure to cut costs IMO. The switching design will be simple and the mechanism needs to do one job of switching on high beam leaving low beam as it is.

Also, using both beams while flashing does not really mean you have extra power to ward off high beam users opposite you. That is because low beam is always focussed so as to fall on the road. Only high beam goes parallel to the road, thus causing glare to any oncoming vehicle. Hence using only high beam will cause the same amount of glare to an oncoming vehicle compared to using both the beams.

However, you will feel improvement in the illumination though. This at the cost of risking a bulb blowout if used continuously.
Old 10th June 2013, 18:39   #7337
BHPian

On a different note, how safe are fitting auxiliary lights? I heard those are easily stolen!

Can they be removed easily?
Old 11th June 2013, 06:20   #7338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is more of measure to cut costs IMO. The switching design will be simple and the mechanism needs to do one job of switching on high beam leaving low beam as it is.

Also, using both beams while flashing does not really mean you have extra power to ward off high beam users opposite you. That is because low beam is always focussed so as to fall on the road. Only high beam goes parallel to the road, thus causing glare to any oncoming vehicle. Hence using only high beam will cause the same amount of glare to an oncoming vehicle compared to using both the beams.

However, you will feel improvement in the illumination though. This at the cost of risking a bulb blowout if used continuously.
I ought to disagree with you here:

The highway flash is done to bring attention to the other person rather than blind him. It does not matter with the amount of glare

And the flash codes mean different outside India!
Old 11th June 2013, 07:04   #7339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
In my car (Getz Prime) there is a small 'U' shaped rubber pipe coming out of the top of the assembly. Its flexible and about 6mm diameter. It might be for ventilating the headlight assembly, considering the amount of heat generated inside.
That L shaped part is there in all headlights. It is there as a vent to equalize air pressures when the lights are switched on. Inside the L thingy you will find cigarette filter to prevent dust from entering the assembly. If it is not there then introduce a bit of cigarette filter yourself.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 10:00   #7340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I
The highway flash is done to bring attention to the other person rather than blind him. It does not matter with the amount of glare

And the flash codes mean different outside India!
I was never speaking about its purpose. Only discussing wattage and light output. I replied to a post which stated that having both filaments ON during flashing will be useful. However, I opined that it wouldn't make a difference. Period.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 10:35   #7341
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok friends,

I checked in my car, only hi beam is used while flashing.

Next thing, I got a relay and wiring kit installed in my car for handling 100w/90w bulbs.

The background is that I was using 100/90W (Philips rally) bulbs in my car for the last 2-3 years. I did not use any relay/ special wiring, just slotted them in place of the OEM 60/55w bulbs. Since, I had no electrical issues all this time, I went on to think that its safe. However, coming to know the electricity it draws through flimsy OEM wires, I changed my mind. Better safe than sorry. However, I was lucky that I did not fried the holders or the wires.

Got it done by a MASS electrician. He got a Relay & a complete wiring set which includes ceramic holders made by 'Roots'. The installation was a 20 minute job. QED! The total cost was 1K (does not includes the bulb as I already had them)

Result: The lights have improved leaps & bounds. They have become a lot more brighter (due to thicker & shorter wires). As much bright as they now have a whitish tint. They were the same bulbs before adding the relay. Though the lights were brighter than 60/55w but I now feel that I was under-utilizing them quite a bit. Thanks to Teambhp for the eye opener.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 11th June 2013 at 10:36.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:19   #7342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Galaxy people convinced him to upgrade both dim and bright. below are the details.

Dim : 100W Hella
Bright : 80W Osram
Relay : Some kit customized for Fiesta

Total Cost : INR 2650 including install

Yet to test the results, shall post after the coming weekend drive to Bandipur, Wayanad, Calicut.
Excellent feedback till date. Worth every penny. Light throw and spread is very much improved with higher wattage bulbs.

No issues till date in terms of battery or fuses. Other Fiesta users who are confused to do or not can go ahead with the decision of upgrade but look for a trusted installer.

Last edited by jacs : 11th June 2013 at 11:20.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:59   #7343

Hi All,

I wanted to upgrade the headlight of my ritz vdi as I was facing problems at night with the stock ones.Was inclined towards angel eyes projector setup for headlamps but the owner of the accessory shop from where i get everything suggested me to go for P8 55watts HID kit with 4300k colour temperature for both the headlamps as well as foglamps as the costing was same as the projector setup. According to him this setup would give better visibility at night as compared to 35 watts projector setup for headlamp only,at the same price. I went ahead with his suggestion,as I know him from quite sometime,and yesterday itself got the HID's installed.

I am still confused regarding this decision and want suggestions from you guys on the same as I dont want any problems in future.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:12   #7344
Distinguished - BHPian

GUys, I have a query.
I have managed to procure some underside lighting as a form of puddle lamp.
Now I need to link it up so that these come on when the car is turned off, or at the minimum, they turn on when the car is unlocked, and stay on for 30 seconds.
The nest option would be to connect this somehow to the cabin light.
Can someone help me with the "somehow"?
Old 12th June 2013, 12:49   #7345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit350 View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to upgrade the headlight of my ritz vdi as I was facing problems at night with the stock ones.Was inclined towards angel eyes projector setup for headlamps but the owner of the accessory shop from where i get everything suggested me to go for P8 55watts HID kit with 4300k colour temperature for both the headlamps as well as foglamps as the costing was same as the projector setup. According to him this setup would give better visibility at night as compared to 35 watts projector setup for headlamp only,at the same price. I went ahead with his suggestion,as I know him from quite sometime,and yesterday itself got the HID's installed.

I am still confused regarding this decision and want suggestions from you guys on the same as I dont want any problems in future.
One possible marketing gimmick might have happened here. He might have suggested this option since they dont do projector fitment on cars so suggested you that it's bad and asked you to upgrade all lights to HIDs. IMHO, this setup wont be as good as going for projectors. HID's in normal reflector headlights will scatter the light meaning the visibility wont be great and will blind oncoming traffic. Fogs cant be replaced as headlights and they provide short and wide range. Some may find this setup as an improvement when compared to stock headlights but make sure that that the headlights are properly aligned since this is the best you can do as you have already installed HIDs. There are mixed reviews when it comes to projectors and I personally feel that the low in my custom headlight isnt all that great when it rains but pretty useful in city conditions but high beams are simply awesome in this setup.

So recommend you to check the headlight alignment and see it's properly aligned and doesnt blind oncoming vehicles.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:13   #7346

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
One possible marketing gimmick might have happened here. He might have suggested this option since they dont do projector fitment on cars so suggested you that it's bad and asked you to upgrade all lights to HIDs. IMHO, this setup wont be as good as going for projectors. HID's in normal reflector headlights will scatter the light meaning the visibility wont be great and will blind oncoming traffic. Fogs cant be replaced as headlights and they provide short and wide range. Some may find this setup as an improvement when compared to stock headlights but make sure that that the headlights are properly aligned since this is the best you can do as you have already installed HIDs. There are mixed reviews when it comes to projectors and I personally feel that the low in my custom headlight isnt all that great when it rains but pretty useful in city conditions but high beams are simply awesome in this setup.

So recommend you to check the headlight alignment and see it's properly aligned and doesnt blind oncoming vehicles.
Hello Naveen Sir!

Really appreciate the quick reply and thanks for the detailed explanation! This accessory shop is well known in Pune and they do projectors setup for cars. Even the owner himself has projectors installed on his car and on that basis only he suggested me to go for HID's without projectors. The alignment work is to be done and for that I will be going tomorrow.
I don't want any problems in future and if you suggest,changes can still be made.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:29   #7347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Naveen Sir!

Really appreciate the quick reply and thanks for the detailed explanation! This accessory shop is well known in Pune and they do projectors setup for cars. Even the owner himself has projectors installed on his car and on that basis only he suggested me to go for HID's without projectors. The alignment work is to be done and for that I will be going tomorrow.
I don't want any problems in future and if you suggest,changes can still be made.
As long as you are satisfied with the setup and dont blind oncoming traffic, there's no point in looking for other options. Scattering of light is the main concern for owners and blinding oncoming cars is what others put forward . If you can solve these two issues, go ahead!! Enjoy your new setup. Some pics would be helpful for others. A breakup of the rates would also be helpful.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:39   #7348

Quote:
As long as you are satisfied with the setup and dont blind oncoming traffic, there's no point in looking for other options. Scattering of light is the main concern for owners and blinding oncoming cars is what others put forward . If you can solve these two issues, go ahead!! Enjoy your new setup. Some pics would be helpful for others. A breakup of the rates would also be helpful.
Thank You Sir!
Will solve the issues by tomorrow itself and will upload the pics after the alignment is done.
As for the pricing, HID's for headlamps costed me 9.5k and for the foglamps it costed me 8.5k, both with installation.
Both are P8 55watts 4300k HID's with H4 in the headlamp and H11 in the fogs.
Old 12th June 2013, 14:12   #7349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Sir!
Will solve the issues by tomorrow itself and will upload the pics after the alignment is done.
As for the pricing, HID's for headlamps costed me 9.5k and for the foglamps it costed me 8.5k, both with installation.
Both are P8 55watts 4300k HID's with H4 in the headlamp and H11 in the fogs.
Didnt you try Philips? Think you get Philips for those rates. Try if you can get Philips. Not saying P8 is bad, but guess Philips would be a better choice. Maybe because it's 55w. Anyways, do check with the shop.
Waiting for your pics.

PS - You can call me Naveen.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:54   #7350

Quote:
Didnt you try Philips? Think you get Philips for those rates. Try if you can get Philips. Not saying P8 is bad, but guess Philips would be a better choice. Maybe because it's 55w. Anyways, do check with the shop.
Waiting for your pics.

PS - You can call me Naveen.
Ok Naveen! No I didn't try the philips ones but I was assured that these P8's won't give any problems. Hope I haven't paid more for them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks