Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 21:18   #7471
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I'm looking to upgrade the headlamps of my Etios VD and after reading through this thread still cant decide which upgrade would be the best. Visibility on the road is worst when on the highways with the stock headlamp setup on the Etios, specifically on the Pune-Satara highway. Would someone suggest the right upgrade (legal and efficient) I should go for.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:39   #7472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
I'm looking to upgrade the headlamps of my Etios VD and after reading through this thread still cant decide which upgrade would be the best. Visibility on the road is worst when on the highways with the stock headlamp setup on the Etios, specifically on the Pune-Satara highway. Would someone suggest the right upgrade (legal and efficient) I should go for.
You have two choices to make.
1) 100/90w - Not legal but provides better visibility. Just a plug n play device and will not void your warranty.
2) 55/60w - Stock wattage but you will need to upgrade to a better brand like Philips or Osram. Expect a slight improvement over the stock bulbs.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:11   #7473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am waiting for 35W 3000K HIDs for my fog lamps. Still on order. Hyalux AC Ballasts and CN?? HIDs.
Where did you source the 3000K HIDs from?
Old 30th July 2013, 13:59   #7474
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Where did you source the 3000K HIDs from?
There is a chap in Kochi by the name of Joice Willi Joseph who deals in accessories. (if you PM me I wil give you the links) I asked for 2700K but he offered 3000K instead which I willingly accepted. I got a mail from him today, that he is expecting the stuff any day. Let me try out then I will repeat for my Brio and maybe my son's City. I will not tinker with the headlamp due to both legal issues, and even 4300K will be too 'blue' in my view. In any case in a headlamp you need projectors. Fogs seem to have no legal issues.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th July 2013 at 14:09.
Old 30th July 2013, 23:19   #7475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a chap in Kochi by the name of Joice Willi Joseph who deals in accessories. (if you PM me I wil give you the links) I asked for 2700K but he offered 3000K instead which I willingly accepted. I got a mail from him today, that he is expecting the stuff any day. Let me try out then I will repeat for my Brio and maybe my son's City. I will not tinker with the headlamp due to both legal issues, and even 4300K will be too 'blue' in my view. In any case in a headlamp you need projectors. Fogs seem to have no legal issues.
Are you intending to use Relay harness for the hid or are you simply plugging into the stock harness?
Old 31st July 2013, 11:01   #7476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are you intending to use Relay harness for the hid or are you simply plugging into the stock harness?
I have asked for no relay setup. Let me see what I get. Only issue can be whether there is enough juice for the startup.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:04   #7477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have asked for no relay setup. Let me see what I get. Only issue can be whether there is enough juice for the startup.

There will be enough juice to start up provided the engine is running when the HID is switched on.

I am running a H27(880/881) HID 4300K setup in the i20 fogs directly from the stock harness since past 1.5 yrs. Have purchased a relay harness last month from ebay US. Have to get it installed
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 11:41   #7478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any downsides to downgrading to OEM bulbs from a relay-based 100/90W setup?
Car in question is a Hyundai Accent 1.5P.

The headlamp assembly gets a bit too hot after a couple of hours of night driving with the 100/90 bulbs, and I don't want trouble on a long drive planned this weekend. I never got these installed in the first place, and I'm not too keen on retaining the setup if I can get decent lighting with an OEM-rated bulb. I also have OEM fog-lamps installed, if that helps in mitigating some of the illumination lost with the downgrade.

Are Philips XtremeVision 100+ (60/55W rated) available off the shelf easily?
Quoting my own post.

My relay setup seems to be causing issues (the right RHS headlamp keeps going on/off intermittently). I checked for loose connections, found none. Got my trusted mechanic to check it out, he thinks it's the relay and suggested I replace the relay and wiring, since it's 3 years old and isn't too costly.

Now, here's what's I have available:

Roots Relay and wiring kit: 1150/-
Hella 90/100 Rally bulbs: 400/- per pair
Labour: As appropriate, as I know the guy

My only concern is the Hella bulbs seem to be blue-tipped, and I don't want harsh white or worse, blue-tinged light.

What should I do? I need to decide by tomorrow.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:16   #7479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern is the Hella bulbs seem to be blue-tipped, and I don't want harsh white or worse, blue-tinged light.
If you are not too much bent for getting the Hella, go for Philips Rally 100/90w. Will cost nearly the same and has good life too. That emits the same old yellow light, but since its brighter, just its a little white as compared to stock bulbs.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:19   #7480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What should I do? I need to decide by tomorrow.
In that case you can use Philips Rally 100/90.
They are normal bulbs and no colour/hue.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:33   #7481
BHPian

Hi
My good old Santro Xing has been running on 100/90 W head lamp bulbs, with aftermarket wiring harness & ceramic holders - but this has completely damaged both my head lamps. It isn't smoked exactly, but 'fried' :-).
Can anybody tell me where I could source good quality replacements in Bangalore (not OEM, as they are around 3700/- & as I plan to continue using the 100/90 W setup).
thanking you in advance
Old 31st July 2013, 12:34   #7482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you are not too much bent for getting the Hella, go for Philips Rally 100/90w. Will cost nearly the same and has good life too. That emits the same old yellow light, but since its brighter, just its a little white as compared to stock bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
In that case you can use Philips Rally 100/90.
They are normal bulbs and no colour/hue.
Thanks!

I also checked with the local distributor in Bangalore, and he has Hella wiring kit available, cost about 800/- for the kit and relay.

Now I'm a bit confused. Hella seems to have better reviews than Roots on the forum (and is cheaper too).

What should I do?

Hella kit/relay & Hella/Philips 90/100 bulbs?
Roots kit/relay & Hella/Philips 90/100 bulbs?

Also, do we get regular yellow light 90/100 bulbs in Hella?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:43   #7483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I'm a bit confused. Hella seems to have better reviews than Roots on the forum (and is cheaper too).

What should I do?

Hella kit/relay & Hella/Philips 90/100 bulbs?
Roots kit/relay & Hella/Philips 90/100 bulbs?

Also, do we get regular yellow light 90/100 bulbs in Hella?
Both Roots and Hella kit are being used by a lot of people and are dependable.
You need to take a call here and decide. If you feel Hella kit is better, go for it.
You can also consult your FNM.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:28   #7484
Senior - BHPian

Hello Light Gurus,

I was contemplating on installing Angel Eyes Headlights for my Chevy Beat.
I came across Naaptol.com giving a lucrative offer on a pair of angel eyes headlights for Rs.549 only !!

http://www.naaptol.com/misc/speedwav-angel-eye-for-cars-bike-(set-of-2)---blue/P /12209412.html

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1.jpg

My questions are:
- Has anyone ordered such lights online ? What are the contents of the package ? Will I have to buy anything extra for installing these ?
- Has anyone installed these angel eye lights on a Chevy Beat ? (or any car for that matter)
- Does this require a separate wiring or something to control the load of current ?
- Does this replace the existing headlight bulb ? Or will it be a Ring (like a round DRL) on the headlight console ?

At this moment I am not worried about:
- The colour quality of light (blue, green, yellow, whatever)
- Illumination power (how bright can I see the road)
- I will get it installed at a local garage. So I am not looking at DIY help.

Incase things do not look good / are illegal, I will get it removed.
Kindly assist in deciding whether this will be a decent buy ? Rs.549 sounds too tempting for me to buy.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:23   #7485
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hello Light Gurus,

I was contemplating on installing Angel Eyes Headlights for my Chevy Beat......

My questions are:.....
Your answers are in Bold.
Has anyone ordered such lights online ? What are the contents of the package ? Will I have to buy anything extra for installing these ?

These seems to be the CFL angel rings (cannot open the link).
You can expect 2 rings and a Voltage transformer with it.
Since you are getting it done by a professional, they should be having all the required things, so no need to get anything.

- Does this require a separate wiring or something to control the load of current ?
Wiring, can be done separately and a switch added to control it but usually they just connect it with the parking lights. Let your installer know how you prefer it.

- Does this replace the existing headlight bulb ? Or will it be a Ring (like a round DRL) on the headlight console ?
You will not have to replace the halogen bulb. This is just an add-on. The rings will be added to the headlamp unit. Something similar to what you see in BMWs.

At this moment I am not worried about:
- The colour quality of light (blue, green, yellow, whatever)
- Illumination power (how bright can I see the road)
- I will get it installed at a local garage. So I am not looking at DIY help.

Incase things do not look good / are illegal, I will get it removed.
Kindly assist in deciding whether this will be a decent buy ? Rs.549 sounds too tempting for me to buy

They do look good.
You might not be able to remove them as these will have to be properly installed using adhesive, so they stay in place.
Also do add the cost of installation, as Rs. 549 is just for the angel rings.

SRK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed