Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 16:10   #7546
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Its been more than a week since i installed 90/100 watt bulbs with full relay kit in my figo and i am very happy with the results. I no longer have to strain my eyes to see all the pot holes and animals that plague our roads.
To install the relay kit slight modification was needed but it was done professionally, no trouble what so ever.
I hope my reflectors last long...
What is the cost for these bulbs and what are the charges for fitting them?
Old 28th August 2013, 18:38   #7547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai
... 100/90 bulbs are not to be prefered to Nb/xv bulbs the reason being people are scared of reflectors discoloring But has anyone actually seen it happen in their cars?or is it more of a scare only.
Is it only a scarey thought ,thinking of the thousands of bucks needed to replace the lamps, that keeps people away from the high wattage bulbs?and settle for a lower output beam.
I have first hand experience with our 1) (Now-Sold) Indigo LS May 2004 which had covered 240 KKms and 2) Xylo E8 ABS Nov. 2009 which has covered 181 KKms.
1) Indigo- The Front Glass and the Surrounding of Reflectors had blacken due to use of 100/90 and 130/100 Bulbs (though the 130/100 ones were not used for long time- may be hardly 1 month)
2) Xylo- My Dad's friend advised him to upgrade the Stock 60/55 Bulbs to 100/90 ones since my Dad used to travel to Mumbai for submitting our Bills often. And the Headlights of Xylo would not lit the Expressway enough (?) (My Dad's friend used to drive). But after upgrading, both the High Beam and Low Beam Fuses located under the Bonnet between Engine and Battery got burnt twice. So I got the Relay fitted. Then the Bulbs started getting burnt. Hence I switched back to 60/55 and removed the Relay. Also got both the Headlights cleaned as both were blackened due to heat of 100/90 Bulbs.

Also our Indigo XL Grand Dicor May 2007 which has covered 173 KKms has Double Barrel Headlamps. I use Stock 55W for H1 (High Beam) and H7 (Low Beam). I was facing visibility problems due to misaligned Headlight Focus. But I myself adjusted the Headlight Focus at home and now visibility problem has reduced to 20-30%.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th August 2013 at 18:42. Reason: Text Formating
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 08:10   #7548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
What is the cost for these bulbs and what are the charges for fitting them?
The bulbs are the Phillips rally ones, cost around 320 for a pair. The relay kit is a Minda branded kit ,costed around 725.Fitting free.

This set up really makes a difference compared to the stock bulbs.Till now no problems at all.

Regards.
Andre
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 14:28   #7549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs.giri View Post
Hi All, After more searches for a "genuine, branded" relay and kit over the weekend, I gave up. As per a couple of feedbacks, I decided to go ahead with the "super" relay and kit. Have installed it with Hella Rallye 100/90 bulbs on my vista (H7/H1). The following were the observations:

1. ..if he was just washing his hands off.
2. ..I wonder if this is expected.

=== $$$ ===
Hella Rallye H7 100/90 bulbs - Rs. 600 for a pair
Hella Rallye H1 100/90 bulbs - Rs. 320 for a pair
Super relay and wiring kit - Rs. 850
I guess at least brightness should have improved.

I am sharing my personal experience here.
I replaced my Esteem's "Super Relay" with one available from "Roots". The kit indicates it can support 130/100 watt bulbs. Price is identical to that of Super, & has a one year warranty.

The transformation was enormous. Brightness & throw has improved significantly. Only difference are the bulbs. I have Philips Extreme visions (100/90) on Esteem. You can try by replacing only one bulb to test the difference. Keeping in mind that 96 model Esteems do not have multi reflector headlams, instead the glass had cuts to scatter the lights, & relectors were plain. Don't know what it is called.

If you are still unsatisfied & ever want to go for further testing on your headlights try Roots Relay & Philips EV Bulbs.

Regards,
Saurabh.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:39   #7550

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

I guess at least brightness should have improved.

==================
If you are still unsatisfied & ever want to go for further testing on your headlights try Roots Relay & Philips EV Bulbs.

Regards,
Saurabh.
Thanks Saurabh.

I guess the brightness has increased. But not by much.

I am pretty sure that the hella bulbs that I am using are genuine. Can the relay affect the performance of a headlight? I assumed that it's just a protective circuit?
Old 30th August 2013, 11:21   #7551
BHPian

Quote:

Can the relay affect the performance of a headlight?
I assumed that it's just a protective circuit?
I yes it will.. No offences meant.
Do check for proper Grounds(earthing) on the circuit.

No relay is not a protective circuit. It is activated by small wattage, to divert a heavy current flow from battery to the load (Bulbs in our case). It also protects the Voltage drop, if you look at the below chart (Copied from Daniel Stern's website),

"In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens [COLOR=red]←Rated output voltage[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][/COLOR]13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens [COLOR=red]←Rated life voltage[/COLOR]
14.5V : 1528 lumens

"
I copied this from below link .

Please refer to the below link for more details:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
OR
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

It clearly indicates why & what are relays used for in car lightings.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 11:31   #7552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, After more searches for a "genuine, branded" relay and kit over the weekend, I gave up. As per a couple of feedbacks, I decided to go ahead with the "super" relay and kit. Have installed it with Hella Rallye 100/90 bulbs on my vista (H7/H1). The following were the observations:

1. The throw and the spread of the beam has improved, but not significantly. I asked the tech about it and he says its a design issue with vistas and they dont have the best of reflector/casing design. Not sure if this is true or if he was just washing his hands off.
2. I had the opportunity to take the car out during rains and I must confess that the high-beam's throw was not significantly better when compared with the 55/45bulbs that I had earlier. I wonder if this is expected.
3. The heat from the lamps have definitely gone up by a couple of notches. As noted somewhere in this forum, I am making it a point to not have the lamps on for an extended period of time, especially during bumper-to-bumper traffic within the city (exception being when on highways).

Any expert opinion on these points above is welcome.

=== $$$ ===
Hella Rallye H7 100/90 bulbs - Rs. 600 for a pair
Hella Rallye H1 100/90 bulbs - Rs. 320 for a pair
Super relay and wiring kit - Rs. 850
Labor - Rs. 200

Cheers.
Hope you must have checked the alignment of the headlamp.

Secondly, you can change the relay and check for improvement, if possible.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 17:34   #7553
BHPian

Can anybody comment on the Safari Storme's headlamps and foglamps.... i do a lot of highway driving and usually at nights and was thinking of booking a storme. Just wanted to be sure that the lighting setup is good enough for the indian highways
Old 1st September 2013, 12:22   #7554
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Motomaverick - How is the super kit and relay? I was able to find only this brand when hunting for good wiring kits and relays. Did not make the purchase as i was not sure.

Any feedback from anyone else is also welcome.

Thanks.
I have super relay in my cruze. Been 18 months. So far good, though the bulbs packed up. Thinking of Philips 90/100.

Need some help. What does temperature color stand for? The higher will affect the lens or any such correlation? I have been on 90/100. Can put 120/100 on the same relay? What are the downsides?

For example can I use this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/hell...t-tube/1315988

Last edited by BurningHeart : 1st September 2013 at 12:31. Reason: Question added
Old 1st September 2013, 16:02   #7555
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I plan to change to stock fog lamps of my scorpio CRDe to something more powerful and better. What all options to I have?
The current ones have become pale and the output is not good either.

Thanks,
Old 1st September 2013, 19:39   #7556
BANNED

Have a firm shipment date for my 3000K HID fogs. Wait for a fortnight or so to get a feedback.
Old 1st September 2013, 19:52   #7557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Have a firm shipment date for my 3000K HID fogs. Wait for a fortnight or so to get a feedback.
Prof, please post the detailed pics of the bulbs, the ballast and the connectors once you get them
Old 1st September 2013, 22:53   #7558
BHPian

Responses in bold within quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I have super relay in my cruze. Been 18 months. So far good, though the bulbs packed up. Thinking of Philips 90/100.

Need some help. What does temperature color stand for?
Colour of light, do a google image search to find out the colour range
The higher will affect the lens or any such correlation?
No.
I have been on 90/100. Can put 120/100 on the same relay? What are the downsides?
Sure but check ampere rating of your relay and corelate with current to be drawn by new bulb, to be safe.

For example can I use this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/hell...t-tube/1315988
Sure if your current bulb is H4. But be advised that it is for rally and not strictly street legal. So use it judiciously for the sake of other road users, eg. no high beam where it can blind oncoming traffic.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:24   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Can anybody comment on the Safari Storme's headlamps and foglamps.... i do a lot of highway driving and usually at nights and was thinking of booking a storme. Just wanted to be sure that the lighting setup is good enough for the indian highways
Please take a TD in the evening and check for yourself.

Moreover you can refer to the official review for such details. Here is what Tanvir (official review) has to say about the lights :

Quote:
The headlamps are very powerful. The throw & beam pattern are perfect. Even the foglamps are purposeful, unlike on the old Safari where they didn't really illuminate anything.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:32   #7560
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers.
You should have bought or roots Hella it from snapdeal
2 weeks back , I purchased Philips Headlight Relay and Wiring Kit for H4 Bulbs ( 100/130 W from Ludhiana for 750. These are awesome. I had Super one but due to excessive heat wires got burnt. I an using i t with Halonix 90/100 white light

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks