Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 11:59   #7666
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Have you installed them? I just read about this and it seems like these have to be installed inside the windshield. It will be interesting to see how is the glare as well as light throw. Also, snapdeal is quoting 23k for these lights, is that the price you also paid?
Hi Motomaverick, Your TL was a great read.
Congrats for that.
Well the unit that was available with my accessories guy had some problem and was not functioning.
Hence the installation was cancelled.
I might not want to go for it as the unit was actually much bigger than what it seems to be on the websites etc. It was quite irritating to have it in the cabin .Although it was not hindering the peripheral vision or the head room as such but i still was getting irritated... may be because it was constantly in my line of vision(when mounted on its place) . May be if i had went ahead and installed the same i may have got used to it in a few days. But the size of the overall box/mounting was making me feel claustrophobic and hence have decided against it.

on your other queries:
1)Cost : I had not finalized the exact cost but the vendor was quoting me in 22-23 K.
(Final amount was to be negotiated post installation and satisfaction after demo use for a initial few days.)
2) Glare : I guess for the oncoming traffic : it is supposed to shut off automatically after detecting an oncoming vehicle.
3)Beam pattern : Since it did not work at all i cant comment + Youtube video (very few) available might not represent fact.

Last edited by madhu33 : 18th October 2013 at 12:03.
Old 19th October 2013, 09:23   #7667
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
DX always comes to the rescue. Check out the below link which has connectors of different size!
http://dx.com/s/wire+splice
Looks very interesting. I am still waiting for some HID bulbs which were shipped out UPS express, but yet to show up after almost a fortnight. I will try direct US mail order only when I get them.
Old 19th October 2013, 16:46   #7668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hi Motomaverick, Your TL was a great read.
Congrats for that.
Well the unit that was available with my accessories guy had some problem and was not functioning.
Hence the installation was cancelled.
I might not want to go for it as the unit was actually much bigger than what it seems to be on the websites etc. It was quite irritating to have it in the cabin .Although it was not hindering the peripheral vision or the head room as such but i still was getting irritated... may be because it was constantly in my line of vision(when mounted on its place) . May be if i had went ahead and installed the same i may have got used to it in a few days. But the size of the overall box/mounting was making me feel claustrophobic and hence have decided against it.

on your other queries:
1)Cost : I had not finalized the exact cost but the vendor was quoting me in 22-23 K.
(Final amount was to be negotiated post installation and satisfaction after demo use for a initial few days.)
2) Glare : I guess for the oncoming traffic : it is supposed to shut off automatically after detecting an oncoming vehicle.
3)Beam pattern : Since it did not work at all i cant comment + Youtube video (very few) available might not represent fact.

Fortunate for you as the Cops would have a merry time extracting money out of you. Best is to go in for HID Projectors in place of the existing high beam. No need to touch your existing wiring. Also possibly you need a CANBUS compatible ballast.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 11:24   #7669
BHPian

Finally, at long last i was able to fit projector and hid to my tbts. Got these from RDMotovil, set me back by close to 8k. Beam throw has good reach and spread without noticeable hotspot. I think in terms of hotspot, it compares favourably to morimoto mini which i was considering (my knowledge is only from 'beam' pics of the morimoto!) Unfortunately, i had to settle for bulb temperature of 6000k and 35w ballast. On hitting the road, i found out that having a hotspot is better when faced against blinding high beams from oncoming traffic Definitely an upgrade from my 60w bulb, but considering that the beam pattern is very focussed for the oem reflector i expected more from the HID. I'll try to exchange the ballast for a 35w one, that should probably do the trick.

Edit: I forgot to mention the make and model of the projector. Its an AES Q5. I have no prior experience with these, but the ballast which came with the kit was super small and 'seemed to be' of reasonably good quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_0031.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_0032.jpg  

Last edited by chotu_r : 20th October 2013 at 11:33.
Old 20th October 2013, 13:21   #7670
BHPian

Can anyone guide me to change my current bulb at rodeo rz 2012 sep model. The light is so dim at night.
Old 20th October 2013, 14:13   #7671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiju.dba View Post
Can anyone guide me to change my current bulb at rodeo rz 2012 sep model. The light is so dim at night.
Unfortunately there is no other option than to get a good quality bulb as the bulb type is S2 and you cant change it to higher wattage or so. Apart from these you get so called halogen bulbs which are not designed according to norms at all. Hence, you have to stick to the same type of bulb, but maybe one with better quality.
Old 21st October 2013, 00:49   #7672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

Fortunate for you as the Cops would have a merry time extracting money out of you. Best is to go in for HID Projectors in place of the existing high beam. No need to touch your existing wiring. Also possibly you need a CANBUS compatible ballast.
Hi sridhar v ,
Why do you say projector in HIGH beam setup? .
Can you please elaborate a bit on this idea of yours?
Also if you know the manza high beam reflector is small and fitting a projector there will not be easy (me as a layman's assumption)

Also with direct Hid on reflector s (Which is now removed ) the problem I was facing was that too much illumination immediately near to the car was obscuring/ hampering the visibility of road far by which is necessary to be seen on night highway driving (speeds of say 80 kmph).

I had discussed this with joy of genome group and he immediately said thas aftermarket bolt on projectors wouldn't help me either. I immediately pointed out out to him that This is not the case with sridhar who is very happy with his fusion lights now. To this he said then it's your call. This is the reason I have not installed the projectors yet.

May be I need to speak to Joy again.
Any inputs on this theory are welcome from you and others here.

Too confused. The problem is I m now afraid of night highway Drives until this is solved.

Last edited by madhu33 : 21st October 2013 at 00:53.
Old 21st October 2013, 11:59   #7673
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer: I am a noob in these things!

I have a Honda Civic and I am not really happy with the headlights. I feel they are inadequate even for normal city usage and hence I need to upgrade them.

Now, I would like to have a good yet cost effective solution to this. My requirement is a good throw along with a "white beam". I am not looking at HIDs since it requires a lot of wiring change. I am looking for a stock replacement.

Please help.

Also, I guess the Civic has different bulbs for upper and dipper. What about the fog lights? Can I change them too?
Old 21st October 2013, 13:51   #7674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had discussed this with joy of genome group and he immediately said thas aftermarket bolt on projectors wouldn't help me either. I immediately pointed out out to him that This is not the case with sridhar who is very happy with his fusion lights now. To this he said then it's your call. This is the reason I have not installed the projectors yet.

Too confused. The problem is I m now afraid of night highway Drives until this is solved.
It will be interesting to hear why fixing an HID in a projector housing not help with improving the beam from Mr. Joy of Genome. Further, I would say a simple relay with higher wattage bulb should do the job well. I had got it done and during my recent Leh trip used it to good effect in some of the night driving days. After fixing the relay I got the throw adjusted at TASS. May be for the time being you can go for this option.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 14:36   #7675
BANNED

I had a HiD failure on my 55W,3000K, H11's sfter driving on very rough roads (SH22A in Haryana) I thought he bulb must have failed but it did not. The vendor is shipping me a new one tomorrow. Surprising since the Ballast was a Hyalutek! Let me see.

He says that failures are more common with no loom installations, though I am foxed and intrigued as to why?
Old 22nd October 2013, 01:16   #7676
BHPian

I am planning to go on a jungle safari in MP this December in an XUV500. Considering weather and ambiance, I am thinking about upgrading the stock lights of the XUV. The stock configuration is -

Front High Beam - H15 55W
Front Low Beam - H7 55W
Front Fog Lamp - H8 35W

Please advice what upgrades would be adequate. For fog lamps, I would like to go for an yellow light as that seems to provide better visibility in dense fog. Also, shall I attach the lights on a guard rail or just replace the stock ones?

Last edited by sbiswas : 22nd October 2013 at 01:35.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:03   #7677
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sridhar v ,
Why do you say projector in HIGH beam setup? .
Can you please elaborate a bit on this idea of yours?
Also if you know the manza high beam reflector is small and fitting a projector there will not be easy (me as a layman's assumption)

Also with direct Hid on reflector s (Which is now removed ) the problem I was facing was that too much illumination immediately near to the car was obscuring/ hampering the visibility of road far by which is necessary to be seen on night highway driving (speeds of say 80 kmph).

When we had talked on phone I realised that your problem was similar to mine ie.:-
1. High beam does not illuminate the near road & the side margins are in the dark. Keeping the beam on low prevents one from seeing the hazards in the distance (particularly potholes) which results in urgent braking.
2. In my case the problem is more acute on highways where there is constant oncoming traffic- because i am not used to night driving. (Hell for the last 1.5 yrs my driving has reduced so much that we now go on compulsory 50 kms jaunts just to keep the battery charged.)
3. Did not want to spend much.
4. When I am on 2 lane roads, I always switch to low, as a matter of courtesy, when there is an oncoming two wheeler. In my recent South trip (before fitting Projectors)I was doing a 10pm dash from Yellapur to Hubli on a 2 lane highway. Could manage 100+ on empty stretches & dropped to 70-80 when an oncoming 2-wheeler was encountered. I found it much more difficult driving at night on the Satara-Pune highway (4lane) or the Pune-Mumbai Expressway.

Now why I recommend you to fit projectors in High is a follows:-
a). During High beam your HID-Projector will give good long distance illumination and fairly useful short distance light. This is based on my experience with the Fusion after the change. i still have to do final adjustments.
b) If you can rig the wiring such that Original Low beam remains on during High beam setting you will get more that enough light. Possibly you may manage to drive on Low beam alone with the light from projectors(in low beam) & Original Low beam.
c) I had taken a night test drive, on rural roads & 4 Lane Highways immediately after fitting the projectors & am more than satisfied. i am now able to see much farther on High Beam & there is enough side & near illumination. In most cases Low Beam was sufficient.

And of course One cannot get ideal lighting in all situations. I have a simple remedy -drop speed until things improve!!.

I had fitted the Silver series. Joy told me Gold gives better performance. I am inserting below some points he made on this:-
"One the visible differentiating factors between projectors are also their difference in cut-off impression, the beam pattern, the colour fringes, squirrel finders & foreground lighting. Fxrs output differs from gold, to silver to the base model. Attaching a few pics. The ‘suitable shape’ what u referring to are the ‘squirrel finders’, which although fills up the black spot but also increases the glare. The trick is to converge the L&H beams marginally so that when on read, it vitually negates the effect of black spot. Silver doesn’t have provision for squirrel finders. Gold have a different shield shape altogether. FXRs don’t have these issues, however it’s a compromise with foreground lighting."

Also some comparison photos of beams that he sent me.

First is Silver Series-(Low & then High)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high.jpg

Gold Series(High & Then Low)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-gold.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-gold-2.jpg

Hella - 3rg gen
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hella-gen-3.jpg

FXR
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fxr.jpg

In the end you will have to make some compromises. To my mind dropping your speed from 80 to 60kmph in tricky situations will solve most issues. it won't affect you overall travel time much.

If you want you can drop down to Pune & we can go for a night ride. Let me know in advance.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:13   #7678
BHPian

Quote:
It will be interesting to hear why fixing an HID in a projector housing not help with improving the beam from Mr. Joy of Genome. Further, I would say a simple relay with higher wattage bulb should do the job well. I had got it done and during my recent Leh trip used it to good effect in some of the night driving days. After fixing the relay I got the throw adjusted at TASS. May be for the time being you can go for this option.
There is an effective difference in the focal point of a Halogen Bulb(filament) & an HID Bulb(gas vapour length). That is why you do not get a good throw, on High beam, in Headlamps which have been retrofitted with HID bulbs. The low beam spread will be better with HIDs.

So using HID projectors is recommended when you want good High Beams.

Actually for any car with twin Barrel headlamps, the Ideal set up is HID Projector BiXenon+ Original Low Beam. And for overkill one can add AUX. Lights - HellaFF series being the best. But this will drain the battery pretty quick.
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:22   #7679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
There is an effective difference in the focal point of a Halogen Bulb(filament) & an HID Bulb(gas vapour length). That is why you do not get a good throw, on High beam, in Headlamps which have been retrofitted with HID bulbs. The low beam spread will be better with HIDs.

So using HID projectors is recommended when you want good High Beams.

Actually for any car with twin Barrel headlamps, the Ideal set up is HID Projector BiXenon+ Original Low Beam. And for overkill one can add AUX. Lights - HellaFF series being the best. But this will drain the battery pretty quick.
I am a little confused now, Bixenon is basically hi-lo together so how would the connection work in a twin barrel headlamp? Besides I do agree that HID + Projectors will work well if setup for low beam.
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:28   #7680
BHPian

Quote:
I am a little confused now, Bixenon is basically hi-lo together so how would the connection work in a twin barrel headlamp? Besides I do agree that HID + Projectors will work well if setup for low beam.
Correct me if wrong.
In a twin barrel headlamp, if you replace the low beam with bi-xenon then you basically get 2 set of high beams. One original stock high beam and one high beam from bi-xenons.

Hence it's better to put bi-xenons in place of stock high beam. Having 2 sets of low beams won't harm. But imagine a car coming in front with total 4 high beams blasting .
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed