Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 19:19   #7696
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
I have a 2013 July Ertiga ZXi.

1) Change the bulb to Philips EV in stock wattage.
.....Can not say a much upgrade from the stock.
The cost of a pair is around 1k to 1.2k .

2) Upgrade the headlight with 100/90 with relay.
-ve : Headlight assembly blacken after some time (say 1-2 year, experience with my previous car)
Generate much heat & may spoil the other component.
Car warranty issue (may be..not sure)

Please suggest me which option i need to choose.

Anything like (Option-2) for Fog lamp?
Option 1 is worth a try & a definite improvement, though still not as mush as Option2.

Heating & Blackening are not much in case of 100/90. can be an issue in 130/100's. If you want to go with it use 100/90 EV's with Roots/Hella relays. would cost around 2100 for all (Bulbs + relay)

Try EV's for fogs as well. They are available & will be a good buy for around 500/- a pair.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 23rd October 2013 at 19:21.
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:46   #7697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I have been checking out some LED light bars on Youtube and they seem to provide excellent visibility in the dark. Any idea if there are any good brands available in India? Does anyone have them on their car(s), and if so what's the experience?
Hi,

I have been checking out LED bars for a while, and it seems that the price ponit of the China direct ones has come to within an acceptable range of $80-250. Rigid Industries bars are way too expensive IMO.

I have ordered a 17" 108W one directly from China via aliexpres for my Thar, shall report back with some tests once its here. (fingers crossed)

Link of the LED light bar for those interested
Old 24th October 2013, 10:23   #7698
BHPian

I have the new i20 crdi Asta with the double barrel headlamps. Both the hi and low beam barrels use 55W H7 type bulbs. This stock headlamps are not very effective IMHO. Anyone tried upgrading these bulbs? What are the options I have without slicing any wires? Do we have 65W H7 available?
Also anyone from Chennai having a white I-gen i20 sportz with white lights on this thread? I noticed this car last night on GST road near Vandalur at around 11pm. The lights were super bright! Looked like HIDs.
Old 24th October 2013, 12:14   #7699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I have the new i20 crdi Asta with the double barrel headlamps. Both the hi and low beam barrels use 55W H7 type bulbs. This stock headlamps are not very effective IMHO. Anyone tried upgrading these bulbs? What are the options I have without slicing any wires? Do we have 65W H7 available?
Also anyone from Chennai having a white I-gen i20 sportz with white lights on this thread? I noticed this car last night on GST road near Vandalur at around 11pm. The lights were super bright! Looked like HIDs.
55w is the standard bulbs that you have which you can safely upgrade without any new additions. Next comes the 80w bulbs for which you will need relays, ceramic holders and wiring. No slicing of wires involved just and extra set of components. You can stick to the stock wattage but go for better brands like Philips. This will give a slight improvement in visibility when compared to stock bulbs. Dont expect 'out of this world' difference, just a good improvement. The i20 that you saw will be having HIDs. They provide pure white effect.
Old 24th October 2013, 12:47   #7700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
The cost effective options are given in post 7698.

The costlier option would be to go for projector setup with HID.
Old 24th October 2013, 13:50   #7701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to upgrade the headlight of the car with a limited budget. (Max 2-3 K)
No kind of 55/60w bulb output would even close to that of a 100/90w bulb.

I think with judicious use, such as switching off lights at traffic signal, using fog lamps in bumper to bumper traffic etc. one can work with a 100/90w bulb. I've been using this setup for a few months now and the difference is incredible.

However, I contemplated this setup for at least a year fearing blackening of head lamps but due to inadequate stock lights I had no other option and went for a 100/90w setup.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 14:20   #7702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
No kind of 55/60w bulb output would even close to that of a 100/90w bulb.

I think with judicious use, such as switching off lights at traffic signal, using fog lamps in bumper to bumper traffic etc. one can work with a 100/90w bulb. I've been using this setup for a few months now and the difference is incredible.

However, I contemplated this setup for at least a year fearing blackening of head lamps but due to inadequate stock lights I had no other option and went for a 100/90w setup.
Yes, this is the cost effective only option left for me as well.

But for sure the headlamp will get black after 1-2 years of use. But do not have any other choice. i really do not like the HID setup without projector. This is totally useless in rainy days.

Till now Projector + HID seup is very costly , around 15k to 20K.
I do not want to spend such a huge amount for style and light only.
I can chage 2-3 pair of head lamp assembly in that amount of money.
Old 24th October 2013, 16:14   #7703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Till now Projector + HID seup is very costly , around 15k to 20K.
I do not want to spend such a huge amount for style and light only.
I can chage 2-3 pair of head lamp assembly in that amount of money.
If you're willing to get your hands dirty, it'll cost you just about 10k. Maybe even less. Source the projectors from dx.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 17:46   #7704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you're willing to get your hands dirty, it'll cost you just about 10k. Maybe even less. Source the projectors from dx.
Any reference of the projector model number?
My Car is Ertiga.

Only HID will cost 4-6 K
Projector ?
Old 24th October 2013, 18:33   #7705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any reference of the projector model number?
My Car is Ertiga.

Only HID will cost 4-6 K
Projector ?
These are standard drop in projectors, you just open up the headlamps and put them in.
They are aren't branded but they work. I've been using them for the past year or more. The whole thing cost me 80 usd for the projectors and hid. The ballast came to another 34.
Rest all elbow grease. Search for my thread on the install in the fiesta.
Old 25th October 2013, 19:41   #7706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to upgrade the headlight of the car with a limited budget. (Max 2-3 K)

Tow Options:

1) Change the bulb to Philips EV in stock wattage.

2) Upgrade the headlight with 100/90 with relay.
I suggest Osram Nightbreaker+ (55W). There are NO added cost as this is a stock wattage bulb and absolutely no harm to the assembly. I used Nightbreaker for close to an year and it was simply brilliant.

Its available for 900/- in the below site - no feedback for the site (from me) though.

http://www.autotrends.in/osram-night...4-12v-55w.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
No kind of 55/60w bulb output would even close to that of a 100/90w bulb...
Guess you have never tried a Night breaker (55W)
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 23:47   #7707
Senior - BHPian

Both the Osram Nightbrakers and Philips XtremeVision bulbs are fantastic bulbs which just uses 55/60 Watts ( implies, it doesn't need any extra relay and doesn't add another failure point ). Here is an article that compares both of them.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2013/...ht-bulb-review

Conclusion
  • Osram is more value for money with around 90% more light than a normal 60W bulb
  • Philips XtremeVision is the brightest with 100% more light than normal bulbs.
PS: I've used relays + 100 Watts bulbs on my old Zen and Esteem. But, the relays has created major hassles for me post 4 to 5 years of usage. I wouldn't recommend tampering your circuits with relays. Use the Xtremevision / nightbreakers instead.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 14:11   #7708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest Osram Nightbreaker+ (55W). There are NO added cost as this is a stock wattage bulb and absolutely no harm to the assembly. I used Nightbreaker for close to an year and it was simply brilliant.

Its available for 900/- in the below site - no feedback for the site (from me) though.

http://www.autotrends.in/osram-night...4-12v-55w.html

Guess you have never tried a Night breaker (55W)
The NB+ has now been replaced by the NB Unlimited, which is even better.
The NB Unlimited (introduced only this month) claims to produce the brightest light, have no idea of the price though.
Sommos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 12:04   #7709
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my query went unnoticed the last time, so I will repeat my doubts, this time with some specific questions.

I am planning to upgrade my Civic's headlights. Civic has separate bulbs for low beam and high beam.

1) I have heard that 100/90 bulbs may eventually lead to fading of the headlamp cluster. So, can I go for 55W bulbs for low beam and 100W for high beam, so that I can switch on the high beam only when required?

2) For the low beam, I plan to buy Philips XtremeVision or Osram Nighbreaker (55W), which I guess is a straight fit with no modifications. I need a bit of the "white" light, so which bulb is more suited?

3) For the high beam, which 100/90 bulb should I use? Also, is it necessary to use a relay and ceramic holder for these bulbs?

4) Finally, I also wish to upgrade the fog lights as they have next to no throw. Can I install the Philips/Osram there too?

I am not willing to spend much, so no HIDs and projectors.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th October 2013 at 12:07.
Old 27th October 2013, 12:54   #7710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, my query went unnoticed the last time, so I will repeat my doubts, this time with some specific questions.

I am planning to upgrade my Civic's headlights. Civic has separate bulbs for low beam and high beam.

1) I have heard that 100/90 bulbs may eventually lead to fading of the headlamp cluster. So, can I go for 55W bulbs for low beam and 100W for high beam, so that I can switch on the high beam only when required?

2) For the low beam, I plan to buy Philips XtremeVision or Osram Nighbreaker (55W), which I guess is a straight fit with no modifications. I need a bit of the "white" light, so which bulb is more suited?

3) For the high beam, which 100/90 bulb should I use? Also, is it necessary to use a relay and ceramic holder for these bulbs?

4) Finally, I also wish to upgrade the fog lights as they have next to no throw. Can I install the Philips/Osram there too?

I am not willing to spend much, so no HIDs and projectors.
Phillips XV produces more white light than the NB+.

The 100/90 bulbs that people generally refer are dual filament bulbs, used for single reflector headlamps. Finding the single filament 100W bulbs will be difficult. You should compulsorily use a relay and ceramic holders for the 100W bulbs, no compromise on that front.

Yes you can use the XV/NB in the fogs also provided you can find the particular type of bulb required for your fog lights.

Lastly, I would request you to try XV in the low beam and NB+ in the high beam instead of using the high wattage bulbs.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks