Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 20:53   #7816
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The shop from where you buy the bulbs would happily replace the stock bulbs with the new ones. However, it is always helpful to learn how to change the bulbs in your car.

Osram Night Breaker Plus or Philips XtremeVision; H4 I presume, not very sure.
I am in a mood to make some change the stock headlamps without relay. Correct me if i am wrong, both philips xtreme vision & Osram NB (60/55W) emit white light which is illegal + have poor visibility during rains?
Old 11th December 2013, 21:56   #7817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I am in a mood to make some change the stock headlamps without relay. Correct me if i am wrong, both philips xtreme vision & Osram NB (60/55W) emit white light which is illegal
Philips Xtreme Vision is not white light but yellow light with slight blue / white tinge, they have Color temperature of 3350 Kelvin.
Philips Crystal Vision is white light with blue tinge, they have Color temperature of 4300 Kelvin.
Also Osram NB+ is yellow light with 10% whiter light.

Quote:
+ have poor visibility during rains?
Since these are not white light they have better visibility then stock head lamps. I'm using Philips Xtreme vision and I'm satisfied with the improvement (even on rains), though they claim 100% more light, I can agree only to an extent of 50 ~ 60 %.

Cheers!
Old 11th December 2013, 23:55   #7818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Philips Xtreme Vision is not white light but yellow light with slight blue / white tinge, they have Color temperature of 3350 Kelvin.
Also Osram NB+ is yellow light with 10% whiter light.
Cheers!
Thanks buddy. Out of the two, which one has less of blue / white light and more of yellow light. The last thing i want is cops catching me for running blueish white headlight. I have already made a mistake of changing the parking lamps to blueish white LED, now when i turn on the low / high beam, the entire effect is mix of yellow + blue + white. One can easily make out the blueish white effect coming from the headlamps so i dont want to add that combo effect after changing the headlamp.

Latest pic here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3316570

As for the price difference, ebay lists a pari of osram for 1250/- while philips is 1350/-.

Anyone knows which lamp out of these 2 works best during rainy nights?

Last edited by quadra : 11th December 2013 at 23:57. Reason: Edit: Inserting the photo link
Old 12th December 2013, 00:14   #7819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Modern controls have evolved to an extent that when you use the pass switch when low beam is on, the low beam cuts off and then the high beam lights up. In most cars with H4 bulbs, in recent times, both filaments wont be on at any time. The only cars I have seen both filaments to be on during passing is in Omni, 800 and the old version of tata safari, ie the 3.0l dicor one.
My experience is otherwise. When the headlight stalk is pulled towards the driver I.e. in 'pass' mode both low and high beams are on. And going by some experience on the roads even for cars with separate bulbs for high and low beams that would be the case.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:04   #7820
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Out of the two, which one has less of blue / white light and more of yellow light. Anyone knows which lamp out of these 2 works best during rainy nights?
I have not used Osram NB+ in my vehicle yet, but have seen this in my friends car though. In my opinion Philips Xtreme vision is more of yellow then NB+ (again opinion differs from person to person) and do the job quite good during monsoon.

Quote:
As for the price difference, ebay lists a pari of osram for 1250/- while philips is 1350/-.
Since I can see your location as Bangalore and if you don't mind, my recommendation will be to visit JK Traders in JC Road, last month I got a pair of Philips Xtreme vision for INR 850/-. They are authorized dealer for Philips bulbs in Bangalore.

Cheers!
Old 12th December 2013, 11:15   #7821
BANNED

Any Halogen with a higher output than normal, has to run the filament hotter, and as per basic physics the colour will shift a bit towards the blue side.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:30   #7822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Out of the two, which one has less of blue / white light and more of yellow light.
Quote:
I have not used Osram NB+ in my vehicle yet, but have seen this in my friends car though. In my opinion Philips Xtreme vision is more of yellow then NB+ (again opinion differs from person to person) and do the job quite good during monsoon.

Since I can see your location as Bangalore and if you don't mind, my recommendation will be to visit JK Traders in JC Road, last month I got a pair of Philips Xtreme vision for INR 850/-. They are authorized dealer for Philips bulbs in Bangalore.

Cheers!

If Philips XV is 3350K then it should be lesser white/blue.
Osram NB+ is 4300K.

There are a lot of fake Philips bulbs in the market, so be careful. The ones available with the dealers also are mostly made in China, whereas NB+ are mostly made in Germany.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:43   #7823
Senior - BHPian

If I want to upgrade the Fog(HB4-9006) and High beam bulbs(HB3-9005) in my Fortuner with Philips Crystal Vision, where can I get them in India?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 13th December 2013, 20:59   #7824
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. From what i have read online, the difference is pretty less & depends on person to person. Luckily the price diff is just 100 bucks (online) so it shouldn't be difficult to choose one. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Quote:
Since I can see your location as Bangalore and if you don't mind, my recommendation will be to visit JK Traders in JC Road, last month I got a pair of Philips Xtreme vision for INR 850/-. They are authorized dealer for Philips bulbs in Bangalore.Cheers!
Would love to go to JC road & splurge but i would easily burn fuel worth 200 bucks to reach there. If i dont find these bulbs locally (which i am sure i wont), i would either have to go online / expand my search are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If Philips XV is 3350K then it should be lesser white/blue.
Osram NB+ is 4300K.

There are a lot of fake Philips bulbs in the market, so be careful. The ones available with the dealers also are mostly made in China, whereas NB+ are mostly made in Germany.
Thanks for your input Sommos. I hope philips india website shows the dealer location.

Will keep you guys posted any which way.
Old 14th December 2013, 10:41   #7825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to go to JC road & splurge but i would easily burn fuel worth 200 bucks to reach there. If i dont find these bulbs locally (which i am sure i wont), i would either have to go online / expand my search are.
If nightbreaker is what you are looking for then one of my cousins brought it online in Ebay for 1150 from a bangalore based seller. He brought Osram Nightbreaker Plus for that amount. Dont have the link but the store is auto concepts.in or something similar. He got it within a day in good condition. Its a made in germany bulb.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:12   #7826
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had upgraded my swift headlamp with 90/100 hella H4 bulbs and roots wiring harness long time back in 2006 and after 3 years of usage the bulbs went kaput then I installed 2 more Hella bulbs which I purchased initially but then again after almost 3 years even those two have gone kaput and now when I wanted to replace them with Hella bulbs I am not able to find genuine bulbs here in Bangalore so as a temporarily I have switched back to OE 55/60 bulbs which are of no use on highways and when it rains it’s even more worst and also when I changed the bulbs back to OE I observed that the ceramic holder which came with the roots kit has also developed cracks after almost 6 years.

Now I want to again buy some good 90/100 or 100/130 bulbs with genuine Hella wiring harness but I am not able to find genuine Hella H4 bulb & original Hella wiring harness. Please help me find a dealer here in Bangalore who sells genuine hella bulbs and wiring harness.
Also is Philips 100/130 Rally bulbs better than Hella 90/100 bulbs? Please share your experience.
Regards,
Vijay
Old 14th December 2013, 17:04   #7827
BHPian

I am in the same situation as yours so before I move to relay again I will try Philips XV as it is a direct fit on oem holder

If you would like to go for the same option we can get two pairs from JC road as a member has confirmed of a authorised Philips dealer there
Old 14th December 2013, 18:00   #7828
BHPian

Hey,

Can fellow members spread some light on the longevity of NB Plus and XV H4's. I have seen quite a few members here who have installed them since early 2013. My highway drives are medium and most city drives happen after sunsets.

Thanks a lot.
Old 14th December 2013, 18:32   #7829
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the same situation as yours so before I move to relay again I will try Philips XV as it is a direct fit on oem holder

If you would like to go for the same option we can get two pairs from JC road as a member has confirmed of a authorised Philips dealer there

I have seen Philips XV in one of my friends swift but I am not satisfied with its performance, I feel the Hella 90/100 is far better than these also I do a lot of highway night driving so would prefer my earlier setup.

Also the dealer you are taking about is AK traders right? Does he even stock Hella other than Philips?

Last edited by vijay_k : 14th December 2013 at 18:34.
Old 14th December 2013, 20:51   #7830
BHPian

I switched from phillips rally 100/90 to hella 100/90 and back to phillips rally. Based on the experience I rate phillips rally much better than hella in terms of luminousity in regular traffic and rains. Have moved the hellas to the spare box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks