Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2014, 18:19   #8011
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am still in the thinking stage whether to buy this and try it on my Swift or stick to stock bulbs that are labelled as 'Osram' but feel weak in low beam a bit.
Anurag.
The OE pair on Ertiga too were OSRAMs and I share the same experience as you when it comes to the visibility parameters. Couldn't expect anything better out of 55-60w that comes from factory.

As usual, I plonked a Philips wiring kit (Ceramic Holder+Relay+Wires+Fuses) along with Philips Rally 90-100w H4 bulbs on the Ertiga within 3-4 weeks after I bought.

The same set-up also runs on my WagonR since past 6 years (of course Philips kit was never there in 2008 and I am still on Minda for the wiring kit.

Happy on the performance on both cars on highways and rains at night.
Old 21st March 2014, 18:23   #8012
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The OE pair on Ertiga too were OSRAMs and I share the same experience as you when it comes to the visibility parameters. Couldn't expect anything better out of 55-60w that comes from factory.

As usual, I plonked a Philips wiring kit (Ceramic Holder+Relay+Wires+Fuses) along with Philips Rally 90-100w H4 bulbs on the Ertiga within 3-4 weeks after I bought.

The same set-up also runs on my WagonR since past 6 years (of course Philips kit was never there in 2008 and I am still on Minda for the wiring kit.

Happy on the performance on both cars on highways and rains at night.
Warranty?

To be frank here I find the lighting spread on the Ertiga to be weaker than in the Swift. I did want to suggest dad to go in for 100/90 setup just like you have (you are the inspiration though) but he was skeptical thinking about the warranty.

When the car (Ertiga) had gone for the first service I did ask the service manager for the 100/90 setup and its affect on warranty, he said "warranty stands close, if installed".

Anurag.
Old 21st March 2014, 18:34   #8013
BHPian

Quote:

Have a look at this link that is for Phillips Xtreme Vision H4 bulbs (A pair)

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Philips-Bulb-...f823056&_uhb=1

I am still in the thinking stage whether to buy this and try it on my Swift or stick to stock bulbs that are labelled as 'Osram' but feel weak in low beam a bit.

Anurag.
Seems reasonable. Wish is mine were H4 too.

My Linea requires H1+H7. MRP is 2400 (1000+1400). EBay sellers are actually quoting higher prices!

But it's rather steep compared to stock-spec bulbs (Philips/ Osram) which will come to only 400-odd for a set.

Problem with bulbs giving more light (100%+) at the same wattage is they blow very quickly. Also, in Kerala white light - like Night Breakers' - can prompt cops to wave you down. It's tough to convince them that your bulbs are street-legal.

That's why I'm looking at 60%+ bulbs like Osram Silverstar 2.0 and the like. These serve the intended purpose of better illumination while lasting nearly as long as stock bulbs. Can't blind oncoming traffic, though.
These offer the best value, I think.
But they're proving hard to find.
Old 21st March 2014, 18:35   #8014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Warranty?

To be frank here I find the lighting spread on the Ertiga to be weaker than in the Swift. I did want to suggest dad to go in for 100/90 setup just like you have (you are the inspiration though) but he was skeptical thinking about the warranty.

When the car (Ertiga) had gone for the first service I did ask the service manager for the 100/90 setup and its affect on warranty, he said "warranty stands close, if installed".

Anurag.
Its only from experience of putting this on the WagonR and a few other cars of my friends recently that I went ahead and installed it on the Ertiga as well. Technically speaking, you aren't cutting off the OE Wiring and just routing the stalk controls to this Kit via the Left hand side OE Holder.

Apart from that, the holders are heat resistant, the relay very well takes care of the load distribution and those 30AMP blade type fuses for your rescue as well.

The only negative thing I have heard is blackening of the Lamp reflectors but even with my continuous all night drives spanning 12 hours, I have never seen the reflectors smoke in the WagonR and what I have are still OE after 8 years.

With all this in mind, I was sure it will never be an issue with the Ertiga too.

With Philips EV and OSRAM NBs which are a direct fit, I have read (here) and heard that they blow off more frequently and hence stayed away from it.

EDIT: Additionally what I also did (for the Ertiga) is to adjust the beams using the adjustment screws on both the sides for this new set-up as I realized the beams were spreading more than focusing.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st March 2014 at 18:36.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 15:58   #8015
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
With Philips EV and OSRAM NBs which are a direct fit, I have read (here) and heard that they blow off more frequently and hence stayed away from it.
Yes, they run hotter, but Osram claims that the NB+ lasts longer. I have had NB+ on my Brio for over 15 months with no issues.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:14   #8016
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, they run hotter, but Osram claims that the NB+ lasts longer. I have had NB+ on my Brio for over 15 months with no issues.
Lucky you sir, 15 months is like VFM/psisa vasool as the pair installed in my car lasted only 4 months. Left side low beam fused so reverted to stock.

Anurag.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:20   #8017
Senior - BHPian

After driving for 4.5 years with weaker than normal headlamps, finally installed Philips Xtreme vision 60/55W today in place of the stock Halonix 60/55W.

To change headlamp bulbs in i10, the entire assembly needs to be taken out after unscrewing 3 screws (few more items on the drivers side as the air intake is screwed over the headlamp assembly, and a hose is clipped to the assembly as well) and unplugging the wire socket.

Then a cap needs to be unscrewed, a metal clip undone (by slightly unscrewing a smaller screw), the wire socket pulled and the bulbs taken out and replaced. Re affix the clip, reconnect the socket & screw the cap back on.

Half an hour of job at least, and not the easiest of replacements that I have done.

Have to check the improvement, maybe tomorrow. Keeping the oem headlamps (which never needed to be replaced) as backups in my glove box.

P.S - The pair of Philips bulbs cost me Rs 1350 on ebay

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd March 2014 at 16:28.
Old 22nd March 2014, 21:09   #8018
Distinguished - BHPian

It took the whole day, but finally managed this today.
This is a temporary arrangement, as properly, professionally done ones are on order, and should be here in about a month.

For now, the fiesta is running on four bixenons, 40 watt halogens, and the DRL/indicators.
The bulbs are hopelessly underpowered, but four of them with projectors are more than sufficient.
However, with two sets of projectors, cut off has been lost, more or less.
Attached Images

Old 27th March 2014, 10:36   #8019
BHPian

Hi
Am looking at replacing stock lamps on my Alto K10 woth Philips extreme vision. The stock specs are 55/60w 12 v which the philips one matches, have a few questions though

Are the specs 55/60w and 60/55w interchangeable? since i saw a number of threads on it just wanted to be sure

What is the 'H4' term mean? is it something I need to watch out for while buying?

Can someone guide me where I can buy this and preferably if they can install it as well

Finally, am assuming this does not void warranty since its stock specs

thanks much
Old 27th March 2014, 10:44   #8020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi
Am looking at replacing stock lamps on my Alto K10 woth Philips extreme vision. The stock specs are 55/60w 12 v which the philips one matches, have a few questions though
1) It's not interchangeable. 55w is the low beam output and 60w is the high beam output.
2) Yes, H4 means it's dual element meaning both low and high beam in a single bulb. Check which bulb is used in the Alto(H4 I guess) and confirm this when buying the replacement bulb. In this case, Philips Extreme Vision H4 55/60w.
3) Check couple of pages back. I think there's a shop in JC road.
4) Your warranty will be safe as long as you stick with the stock rating and do not cut the wires. For this install, it's just replacing the bulbs.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 13:04   #8021
BHPian

I'm planning to get led bar for my Ertiga to be used in place of fog lights. The stock lights of Ertiga are not so good. If I plan to replace the original bulbs with Osram NB or NB unlimited then the cost will be close to 1500-2400 based on which one I choose. One thing which is bothering me is the life span of these bulbs. According to the data sheet on Osram website the Life span B3 is 80/260 h and life span Tc is 160/400 h. Does it means these bulbs last only for 160 hours or so? Due to this I was thinking of putting Led Bar in the place where fog lamps can be put. I've seen online Led Bars in rate of 2000-3000 Rs for a pair. Does it makes sense to install these bars?
Totally confused hence need experts to advice.
Old 27th March 2014, 16:55   #8022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
What is the 'H4' term mean? is it something I need to watch out for while buying?
In addition to what Naveen has already said about the dual & single filament, the base is also different. Whereas the H4 has three-pronged attachment to the wiring harness, the H1/H7 has a two-pronged plug. So you must be very careful about the type of bulb that fits your car.

There is a seperate thread on this topic, and kindly do search a little bit before posting your questions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ulbs-mean.html
Old 27th March 2014, 17:16   #8023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Are the specs 55/60w and 60/55w interchangeable? since i saw a number of threads on it just wanted to be sure

Can someone guide me where I can buy this and preferably if they can install it as well

thanks much
Alto has H4 bulb. H4 has 3 legs at the base since it has both high and low beam on the same bulb. Don't worry about 60/55 or 55/60

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I'm planning to get led bar for my Ertiga to be used in place of fog lights. The stock lights of Ertiga are not so good. If I plan to replace the original bulbs with Osram NB or NB unlimited then the cost will be close to 1500-2400 based on which one I choose. One thing which is bothering me is the life span of these bulbs. According to the data sheet on Osram website the Life span B3 is 80/260 h and life span Tc is 160/400 h. Does it means these bulbs last only for 160 hours or so? Due to this I was thinking of putting Led Bar in the place where fog lamps can be put. I've seen online Led Bars in rate of 2000-3000 Rs for a pair. Does it makes sense to install these bars?
Totally confused hence need experts to advice.

Osram bulbs have higher failure rates compared to philips. So suggest you go for Philips Xtreme vision instead of Osram Night Breaker / Unlimited
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 19:56   #8024
BANNED

Quote:
Hi

I just bought Phillips Xtreme Vision 60/55W H4 P43t from Ebay.in for 1150 bucks (Thanks to Parag Sir). Should get the delivery by 30th.

60/55W or 55/60W are same so nothing to worry and this is just a bulb replacement with sycophantic l stock rating so NO loss of warranty.

As told by Sagar Sir, Osram fail very quickly as compared to Philips. My earlier car had Osram NB+ but it lasted only for 4 months so reverted to stock bulbs from Maruti (Jagan make).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Osram bulbs have higher failure rates compared to philips.
Will be seeing how the Philips perform.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th March 2014 at 20:21.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 07:51   #8025
BHPian

Got a pair of Philips extreme vision 55/60w yesterday from AK Traders, JC Road for my K10. Got it for 950 (inclusive of VAT etc).

The strength is definitely better than stock, hope it lasts!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks