Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 13:59   #8056
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Certainly for you, but please go and stand in front of your own car and see for yourself what all the others are experiencing because of you.

I hope you'll change the expression.

I've seen this same comment from you earlier also. Just like SGIIT I am using NB+ from Aug' 2012 (H1 and H7) and they are working fine (Touchwood).

Vinod, there may be many reasons for the NB+ not giving proper illumination, but if you decide to cross the legal limits then there is no end of it. Just as you said the NB+ is no comparision to the 100/90, the same 100/90 is nothing compared to a good projector setup with HID. Atleast the projector setup do not create any hazard for the oncoming traffic.

My only request to you is kindly understand the plight of the fellow travellers and be sensitive.
Of course sir..I understand the fellow travller's plight and use my beams very sensibly.

I need to do a lot of night time highway travelling daily and I need 100/90s very much for safe travelling. When so many oncoming cars have got 100/90s , 130/100s ,projectors/HIDs and what not, travelling with the stock 60/55 bulbs on the highway was very tiring and difficult to the eyes. So just to be on the safer-side and for a fatigue-free drive I had no other option but to be a bit illegal like many others. But, I never use my high beam within city limits or oncoming traffic.

I cannot agree with you that projector setups with HIDs do not create any hazard to the oncoming traffic. Whatever be the setup, if the beams are not used sensibly, then a high intensity bulb is definitely a disturbance to the oncoming vehicle. Infact, after being blinded and fed-up constantly with those blinding white-beams on the highway almost daily, I finally decided to switch to 100/90s a couple of years back. I just wanted to see my road ahead when some moron flashes his blinding white beam on my face.And for that, I found the 100/90 is the right choice. Atleast it is more yellowish and easy on the eyes than the blinding white lights.

As you said, I know that 100/90 is nothing compared to HIDs.But I decided to keep my limits with 100/90, since all I wanted was illumination of the road ahead when faced with blinding beams.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 14:32   #8057
Senior - BHPian

I understand you position and appreciate your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
When so many oncoming cars have got 100/90s , 130/100s ,projectors/HIDs and what not, travelling with the stock 60/55 bulbs on the highway was very tiring and difficult to the eyes.
But still there are many who are using 60/55 Watt bulbs. I cannot stop everybody on the road to preach something, but I hope I can give my opinion to a fellow member and you won't mind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I cannot agree with you that projector setups with HIDs do not create any hazard to the oncoming traffic. Whatever be the setup, if the beams are not used sensibly, then a high intensity bulb is definitely a disturbance to the oncoming vehicle.
That is exactly what I feel and you're bang on target. Even a 35 Watt scooter bulb if focused properly right on you will have the same effect.

So installing 100/90 is not exactly the solution until you plan to use your high beam to counter the others.
Old 5th April 2014, 12:17   #8058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

. Just as you said the NB+ is no comparision to the 100/90, the same 100/90 is nothing compared to a good projector setup with HID. Atleast the projector setup do not create any hazard for the oncoming traffic.

I beg to disagree on both views. I have driven a Skoda Superb with Bixenons and only the Low beam was impressive. High beam was not what I expected after using 100/90w halogens. Badly needed a HID low beam and a halogen high beam for the best combination.

Also, HIDs don't cause glare only in low beam, and provided the projector isnt installed in a crude way. In high beam, a HID projector is much annoying compared to a halogen bulb since more light is thrown out within a lesser radius, ie the projector.

Hence, HID or halogen, projector or reflector, bulb or no bulb. All depends upon how they are used and the amount of common sense the driver has. We have chaps installing cheap replicas of projectors and Hid lamps with a separate halogen for high beam, which is out of focus Cant help but counter such morons.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 14:04   #8059
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading from H8 35W to H11 55W fog lamp bulbs - Swift

H11 and H8 bulbs are physically very identical to each other in filament placement and size, but the former is brighter 55W and used as headlamp bulbs in some cars and the latter is 35W used mainly as fog lamp bulbs. Although the bulbs are very similar the H11 bulbs do not go into holder designed for H8 bulbs because the center locating tab of the H11 is wider by a few millimeters compared to the H8's. But its very easy to modify the Swift's fog lamp bulb holder to take the brighter H11 bulb. It takes less than 10 minutes to do each lamp with care.

H8 and H11 bulbs - Halonix H8 and Philips H11
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195908.jpg

H8 bulb in holder
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195253.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195302.jpg

H11 bulb wouldn't fit in holder
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195401.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195356.jpg

Where to cut
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195324.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140402_195746.jpg

There is an improvement in lighting compared to the stock H8 bulbs, with H8 I coudn't notice if the lamps were on or not, it was weak and didn't put out any useful illumination. Now with H11 bulbs the lamps do make their presence known and illuminates to the sides and to the front a bit better. If even more lighting is required higher output variants like Osram Night breaker Plus and Philips Xtreme Vision are available in H11. With H8 there are no high output choices except to go HID and i don't want HID.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 13:35   #8060
BHPian

Installed the new Osram all season 100/90 bulbs on my swift replacing the fused Phillips Rally. Really impressive and it has made the fogs irrelevant. OSRAM claims that it is meant for all seasons and has a very yellowish tint. Costed me Rs. 320 per bulb in Chennai
Old 12th April 2014, 15:17   #8061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from H8 35W to H11 55W fog lamp bulbs - Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
H11 and H8 bulbs are physically very identical to each other in filament placement and size, but the former is brighter 55W and used as headlamp bulbs in some cars and the latter is 35W used mainly as fog lamp bulbs.
I had also planned a similar mod for the fog lights on my Swift but dropped the idea after the right bulb had to be replaced 2 times in under 3 months! I wonder what could be wrong. MASS says the fog lamp switch was always left on and so the bulb fused.

Pardon the question,but will this extra 20w load on the system cause any reliability issues ?
Old 12th April 2014, 16:22   #8062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I had also planned a similar mod for the fog lights on my Swift but dropped the idea after the right bulb had to be replaced 2 times in under 3 months! I wonder what could be wrong. MASS says the fog lamp switch was always left on and so the bulb fused.

Pardon the question,but will this extra 20w load on the system cause any reliability issues ?
Surprising but I feel it could be an issue if used always in the nights. Why don't you check the fog lamp wiring.

I don't remember how many times I would have used my cars fog lamps. I don't find any sense in using it in Hyderabad weather where 'Fog' is hardly seen.

Anurag.
Old 12th April 2014, 16:28   #8063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Surprising but I feel it could be an issue if used always in the nights. Why don't you check the fog lamp wiring.
I had the wiring,other bulb checked very recently. Its all fine according to the MASS. What's surprising is the leftside bulb is absolutely fine. Its only the RHS which conks off.

Quote:
I don't remember how many times I would have used my cars fog lamps. I don't find any sense in using it in Hyderabad weather where 'Fog' is hardly seen.
I can tell you from experience that these OEM "fog lights" are absolutely useless even in little fog. Its akin to driving with candle lights. I use it daily for foreground lighting. It helps better judge just how deep every pothole is on our roads
Old 12th April 2014, 16:44   #8064
BANNED

Quote:
I had the wiring,other bulb checked very recently. Its all fine according to the MASS. What's surprising is the leftside bulb is absolutely fine. Its only the RHS which conks off.

I use it daily for foreground lighting. It helps better judge just how deep every pothole is on our roads
I had the same issue when I used Osram NB+ on my Ritz. They conked off within 4 months (left side bulb - low beam only) and thought of replacing them again but didn't feel the need so reverted to stock!

But after a lot of thinking I am now using Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W H4) which is better than the stock (Osram Bilux). Lets see how many days/month do these bulbs survive.

One thing I fail to understand is why do these Osram bulbs have a higher failing rate and only one bulb fails!

Anurag.
Old 12th April 2014, 16:45   #8065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it's the additional load, then it's not the bulb but the fuse that has to blow up first. I would suspect the holder. Take a closer look when they open it up next time.

The so-called fog lamps in Suzuki cars are there only for cosmetic reasons. They are just a pair of powerful park lights, with their short throw and 35W bulbs. I have HIDs in them, so the foreground is good.

Last edited by silversteed : 12th April 2014 at 16:46.
Old 12th April 2014, 16:54   #8066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I fail to understand is why do these Osram bulbs have a higher failing rate and only one bulb fails!

Anurag.
In my case it is the fog lights and some brand called 'Halonix' which I believe is what MASS uses. The new one installed is also Halonix only. If it fails in anything under than a year,i'll be pretty upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If it's the additional load, then it's not the bulb but the fuse that has to blow up first. I would suspect the holder. Take a closer look when they open it up next time.
I haven't yet installed the H11 55w bulbs. Its the H8 35w 'Halonix' bulb which has failed twice in less than 3 months. MASS says it could be because I leave the fog light button on at all times.
Old 12th April 2014, 17:09   #8067
BANNED

Quote:
In my case it is the fog lights and some brand called 'Halonix' which I believe is what MASS uses. The new one installed is also Halonix only. If it fails in anything under than a year,i'll be pretty upset.
The stock bulbs last! But there is some issue in your setup - may be wiring or the holder (as Silversteed mentioned). Get these doubts cleared then I don't think they'll fail.

Quote:
I haven't yet installed the H11 55w bulbs. Its the H8 35w 'Halonix' bulb. MASS says it could be because I leave the fog light button on at all times.
35W for a fog lamp?! I was thinking so long that it to be 55W H8 (Just checked my owners manual)

Why don't you try Philips or Osram in the stock fog lamp rating to see of they fail or no (I know it is not economical but a try can be given).

So if a switch is ON always how will current pass and fuse the bulb when the main headlamp switch is not activated?! What is the fuse box doing then?

Anurag.
Old 12th April 2014, 17:18   #8068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you try Philips or Osram in the stock fog lamp rating to see of they fail or no (I know it is not economical but a try can be given).

So if a switch is ON always how will current pass and fuse the bulb when the main headlamp switch is not activated?! What is the fuse box doing then?
Philips or Osram will be tried but I somehow feel this is a issue with wiring or may be holder as silversteed mentioned.

According to them,leaving the fog light switch 'on' at all times may cause the bulb to blow out,something about excess current causing it when both parking lights and fog lights are turned on at once. It should be parking light first and later the foglights,not both at once. I'm not convinced with this though.
Old 12th April 2014, 17:22   #8069
BANNED

Quote:
Philips or Osram will be tried but I somehow feel this is a issue with wiring or may be holder as silversteed mentioned.

According to them,leaving the fog light switch 'on' at all times may cause the bulb to blow out,something about excess current causing it when both parking lights and fog lights are turned on at once. It should be parking light first and later the foglights,not both at once. I'm not convinced with this though.
This is like them saying, leaving the engine ON always will seize the engine!

So they are telling the order of usage? Parking lamps -> head lamps -> fog lamps?

I have one doubt: The next time your in the car, at idle with instrumentation console lit up (only parking lamps switched ON will do), switch ON the fog lamps, what is the drop in RPM and how much time does the RPM take to stabilize back?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 17:30   #8070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't yet installed the H11 55w bulbs. Its the H8 35w 'Halonix' bulb which has failed twice in less than 3 months. MASS says it could be because I leave the fog light button on at all times.
Halonix is a good brand. Your LHS bulb is still fine, so there're no quality issues with the bulb. Please get your wiring checked, including the battery terminals. Spikes can be caused by loose connections at the terminals and the holder.

Leaving the fog-lamp switch on is not a problem, because I used to do the same until I installed HIDs 3 months ago.

Quote:
Excess current flows when there's a spike in voltage in that line. The sequence you're asked to follow is probably another load of bull like the "Oxygen-free copper" for powering amplifiers. The additional 6 Amps of current needed to turn on the park lights together won't increase the load on the engine so much to show up as a drop in RPM on the tacho. You may need an OBD scanner to see that.

Last edited by silversteed : 12th April 2014 at 17:41.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks