Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 13:37   #8296
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Yes but in the end the spectrum is the same, the output Kelvin rating remains the same and doesn't change if its HID or a blue coating.
Absolutely the projectors do help a lot.

But a simple rule to remain safe is to stay within 5000K
Also, it should be a good projector/HID combo. Even though I had after market projectors/HIDs in my Swift and provided excellent output (4300k), I always felt that it's performance in the rain was average. Definitely something to do with the quality. But as you said, it should be below 5000k for best results.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:14   #8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Right. Upgrade options are very limited. Seems like there are no relay setups. I have have asked many road side accessories shop and no one has the relay kit available. So the only option here is to upgrade to Osram night breakers or Philips extreme vision. If anyone has upgraded to higher wattage bulbs using relays on new igen i20 then please let me know. I would like to do the same. Thanks for all the responses.

You could use PMP dual headlamp setup relay kit costs approx 600 INR and comes with ceramic holders. The wires are thick and of finolex. The only downside is that you need to cut the rubber caps behind the headlamps to make way for ceramic holder. In my Vista I'm using Philips h4 relay on all 4-H7 bulbs (The user manual incorrectly states that the car has 2-H7 for low and 2-H1 for high). How this setup has been done is not very clear to me as I got it done from my mechanic guy and didn't do it myself. Hope this helps .
Old 13th July 2014, 17:23   #8298
BHPian

I need advice from someone in the know on this matter --> I'm planning to buy aftermarket Headlamps & Taillamps off eBay.

Headlamp - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Taillamp - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-11-14-C...03530500&rt=nc

Can anyone knowledgeable in Customs & import tax guide me as to how much will Indian Customs ask me to pay up in Tax IF & when these products arrive on Indian shores?

Also, for the technically well versed members, will these mods indeed be a plug & play replacement for the currect stock Cruze lamps or will I have to improvise on the installation when I get them fitted at the local accessory shop?

Cheers

ChoosetoCruze
Old 15th July 2014, 15:09   #8299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
I need advice from someone in the know on this matter --> I'm planning to buy aftermarket Headlamps & Taillamps off eBay.

Headlamp - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Taillamp - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-11-14-C...03530500&rt=nc

Can anyone knowledgeable in Customs & import tax guide me as to how much will Indian Customs ask me to pay up in Tax IF & when these products arrive on Indian shores?

Also, for the technically well versed members, will these mods indeed be a plug & play replacement for the currect stock Cruze lamps or will I have to improvise on the installation when I get them fitted at the local accessory shop?

Cheers

ChoosetoCruze
Yes, it will be a plug n play replacement with minor addons. You will need to remove the bumper to install the headlights. AFAIK, these kits will come with normal halogens in projectors also. If so, then it will be a direct fitment. If you need to add HIDs, the ballast must be screwed onto an open area inside the engine bay (usually you will find empty space on the front fender area). One end of the ballast will go to the battery while the other wire will go to the projectors. Connect the DRL wires to the battery (these will be thin wires). The headlight wires will need to be plugged to the OE wire socket/plug. The only difficult bit will be bumper removal/fitment and ballast fitment. Everything else is straight forward. Make sure the rubber seals (behind the headlight assembly to access the bulbs) are properly sealed. Else moisture and dirt will easily find their way in. Moisture might be present and it should subside after using the headlight for couple of days.

As for the tax info, I hope others will help you out.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:05   #8300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Hi all, can someone suggest where I can buy an OEM fog lamp kit for my VW Polo ? I saw this on Google http://www.snapdeal.com/product/auto...hite/664789301. The manufacturer is DLAA - a Chinese auto parts supplier - but I'm not sure it's ok / trustworthy. The product description says "Manufactured by OEM approved manufacturer that meets OE standards". It's about Rs 5,000. Definitely a better option than buying the whole thing from the A.S.S. which would cost Rs 20k+. My A.S.S. indicated they can fit the fog lamps within 2 hours at a cost of Rs 1,000 so for Rs 6,000 in all it's not a bad deal. Now I need to know where I can buy the fog lamps from.

Thanks!
Kumar, did you buy this? It is also available on eBay - http://www.ebay.in/itm/DLAA-Volkswag...item3a929e7eb3 (they have COD option as well)

I am looking to get the same for my Polo but I have the same query as you with respect to the compatibility and authenticity. Can anyone comment if they have used these products in the past?
Old 19th July 2014, 19:35   #8301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Kumar, did you buy this? It is also available on eBay - http://www.ebay.in/itm/DLAA-Volkswag...item3a929e7eb3 (they have COD option as well)

I am looking to get the same for my Polo but I have the same query as you with respect to the compatibility and authenticity. Can anyone comment if they have used these products in the past?
Hi - Yes, I saw this also and was all set to order it except for one issue -- the photos of the parts show a black switch with a single button (second last photo).

Now in the Polo as far as I know the switch for the fog lamps is the same as the lights switch except it has to be pulled a little -- there's a great Youtube video explaining how it works.

So I was not sure how this ebay product was intended to be fitted .. and I don't want the A.S.S. guys to refuse to do the job citing incompatible parts. Plus I dont want switch hanging out of the dashboard (not cool!)

Last thing is that some suppliers on AliExpress who sell fog lamps include the light switch also (slightly different one for use w/fog lamps).

Hence my doubts.
Old 19th July 2014, 19:56   #8302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
So I was not sure how this ebay product was intended to be fitted .. and I don't want the A.S.S. guys to refuse to do the job citing incompatible parts. Plus I dont want switch hanging out of the dashboard (not cool!)
Yes, those are some of the things I wanted clarity on as well. There is one more model available from mxsmotorsport - its called V194. They have shown the installed version of it in a youtube video. It costs about 6800 including shipping. Am also looking for some other options.
Old 19th July 2014, 20:15   #8303
BHPian

After a recent highway cruise I realised the fact that my Ford Classic's stock headlamps are almost good for nothing. Countless times did I try flashing the high beam for better visibility and I finally had to step out of the car and check if it was actually working. Seriously considering an aftermarket upgrade. The specifications are :

High beam - H1 - 55W
Low beam - H7 - 55W

I read a lot on this thread and am thinking about going for Xtreme/Diamond Vision.

Suggestions?
Old 19th July 2014, 21:55   #8304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Seriously considering an after market upgrade. The specifications are :

High beam - H1 - 55W
Low beam - H7 - 55W

I read a lot on this thread and am thinking about going for Xtreme/Diamond Vision.
I have been using Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) from the past few months and i do a lot of driving in nights too, (100 kms a day) so I can vouch for the difference from the stock bulbs.

The low beam has a nice spread with high beam being a bit sharper as compared to stock.

Anurag.
Old 19th July 2014, 22:10   #8305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have been using Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) from the past few months and i do a lot of driving in nights too, (100 kms a day) so I can vouch for the difference from the stock bulbs.

The low beam has a nice spread with high beam being a bit sharper as compared to stock.

Anurag.
Thanks for the input mate. Couple of queries :

1. The bulbs are plug and play right? I'm planning to buy them online and fix it on my own.

2. Could you shed some light on Diamond/Crystal Vision? I mean, are they better compared to Xtreme?

3. Will replacing the bulbs void the electrical warranty? The salesperson did not even allow me to go for an aftermarket RPS saying that doing the same would void the warranty.
Old 19th July 2014, 22:59   #8306
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for the input mate. Couple of queries :

1. The bulbs are plug and play right? I'm planning to buy them online and fix it on my own.

2. Could you shed some light on Diamond/Crystal Vision? I mean, are they better compared to Xtreme?

3. Will replacing the bulbs void the electrical warranty? The salesperson did not even allow me to go for an aftermarket RPS saying that doing the same would void the warranty.
How new is your car? Warranty left?

1. Plug and play and a DIY.

2. Sorry as I haven't used these two bulbs yet so can't compare then.

3. If the car is under warranty ask your SA and go ahead. Since you are using stock rating there shouldn't be a problem.

Anurag.
Old 19th July 2014, 23:08   #8307
BHPian

Quote:
How new is your car? Warranty left?
The car is pretty new, took delivery on June 25th.

Quote:
1. Plug and play and a DIY.
Thanks for the info. Planning to buy from Vicky.in, any better options? (I've heard that ebay sells fakes)

Quote:
3. If the car is under warranty ask your SA and go ahead. Since you are using stock rating there shouldn't be a problem.
Sure, I'll do that
Old 20th July 2014, 01:52   #8308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Yes, those are some of the things I wanted clarity on as well. There is one more model available from mxsmotorsport - its called V194. They have shown the installed version of it in a Youtube video. It costs about 6800 including shipping. Am also looking for some other options.
Thanks. That looks like this product available on AliExpress for USD 90 (Rs 5700) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...461306149.html

The description says that these are intended to replace existing fog lamps and so the dashboard switch is not included (they only provide a bit of internal wiring). Most probably this will mean a switch such as this (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2011-...439863404.html) will also have to be bought - that's another USD 25.

Unfortunately the mxsmotorsport site does not specify what comes along with the package. (I'll write an email and ask, though I doubt they would include the switch). I'll update if and when they reply.
Old 20th July 2014, 07:33   #8309
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Planning to buy from Vicky.in, any better options? (I've heard that ebay sells fakes)
I haven't heard positive reviews for that website here at Team-BHP. IIRC, there is a thread already running in this forum for that website. Please check and buy.

I bought the Philips XV bulbs from Ebay and they were original and many more things were bought from there. Just look at the rating + reviews a seller has. The you can decide. Else send that seller a question. Depending you can carry out that transaction.

PS: Congrats for becoming a 'BHPian' from a 'Newbie'! No waiting anymore.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 09:33   #8310
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't heard positive reviews for that website here at Team-BHP. IIRC, there is a thread already running in this forum for that website. Please check and buy.
Just went through the above mentioned thread mate, a real eye opener I must say. It was the sheer variety of products they had in stock that lured me to the site. Will surely look into ebay.

Quote:
PS: Congrats for becoming a 'BHPian' from a 'Newbie'! No waiting anymore.
True that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks