Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 02:49   #8401
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

I've personally never used anything apart from the Rally 130/100 in all my cars till date so can't compare these with the Rally 100/90. At 160 bucks for the pair I'm not complaining.
130/100 setup on an Alto is wow. That may be some bright Alto on the roads.

When you already had the 130/100 setup running, why downgrade to 100/90? Why didn't you buy a new pair (130/100 setup) and replace?

Anurag.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:45   #8402
Senior - BHPian

I had 2 Alto's of which 1 was sold a month back. I took the Philips from that one while I was using this car.

Now that im getting another car, I used the 100/90 since I didn't want to give the 130's to my mom who may drive around with high beams on!

As usual the next car will also get the 130's.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:57   #8403
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

The high wattage bulbs has taken its toll. I was running 130/100 on my i10 for the last 4 years. Not a complaint on throw or brightness. However, last week when I had to replace them, I went in for the more talked about Phillips Extreme Vision 60/55, based on strong reviews from the group.

It has turned out to be a complete dud. First of all the alignment was off track and more importantly it has no throw or brightness. As against what is claimed on the box, 35+ meter throw, I must be getting some 10 or 15 mtrs. I went back to the accessory guy who sold it to me and he comes up with a new theory that the chrome inside my reflectors have worn off due to the excess heat generated from the higher wattage bulbs.

Now I need expert guidance. What should I do ? Change the headlight kit ? (Cost 7000 almost) or switch back to 130/100s which are bright enough to outshine the lack of chrome. Are there any likely incidental damages to main electricals due to this ?
Old 19th August 2014, 13:05   #8404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
... What should I do ? Change the headlight kit ? (Cost 7000 almost) or switch back to 130/100s which are bright enough to outshine the lack of chrome. Are there any likely incidental damages to main electricals due to this ?
Why go back to 60/55 from 130? Since you must already have the wiring in place, would suggest replacing with 130 only.

60/55 is mostly preferred by people who want better illumination than stock but don't want extra wiring/relays.

Also, since you are used to 130, the 60 will not impress you much and might even look useless!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 18:47   #8405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
60/55 is mostly preferred by people who want better illumination than stock but don't want extra wiring/relays.

Also, since you are used to 130, the 60 will not impress you much and might even look useless!
See the question is what are the long term damages. Reflector chrome burning out is something I can handle, but some experts have a feeling that running a high wattage bulb long term is going to play havoc with the electricals and may ultimately even burn out the ecu. Would I want to risk that ?
Old 19th August 2014, 18:50   #8406
BANNED

Quote:
See the question is what are the long term damages. Reflector chrome burning out is something I can handle, but some experts have a feeling that running a high wattage bulb long term is going to play havoc with the electricals and may ultimately even burn out the ecu. Would I want to risk that ?
I don't think running on 130/100 will damage the ECU.

You'll need to change the headlamp assembly due to reflector damage. Nothing else I guess.

A look at the wiring and holders too would be needed.

Anurag.
Old 19th August 2014, 18:58   #8407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with what Anurag has mentioned above.

If the wiring and relay is upto the mark, there should not be any issue. It's just that you are drawing a higher current from the battery. Incase of any issues, the fuse should blow out first isolating the problematic circuit. Since you have been running this setup already I doubt if there is an issue in the wiring.
Old 19th August 2014, 21:27   #8408
BHPian

Did anybody installed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited ? Its advance version of nightbreaker plus and manufacturer claims 110% increase in brightness. Is this available in India yet ?
Old 19th August 2014, 21:36   #8409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Did anybody installed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited ? Its advance version of nightbreaker plus and manufacturer claims 110% increase in brightness. Is this available in India yet ?
Are you talking about halogens or HIDs? Either ways Osram NBUs are supposed to be really good. It is available on ebay.in but not so commonly stocked by retailers as they come at a premium price.
Old 20th August 2014, 00:49   #8410
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on the GE 140/100 and Flosser 145/100? Those have me really interested .
Old 20th August 2014, 07:31   #8411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Are you talking about halogens or HIDs? Either ways Osram NBUs are supposed to be really good. It is available on ebay.in but not so commonly stocked by retailers as they come at a premium price.
Nightbreaker Unlimited, NB+ & NB Xenarc are halogens with little xenon gas filled in it and hence brighter than normal halogens. Unlimited being flagship of Nightbreakers & as you said will be premium on price. Need to check in ebay.
Old 20th August 2014, 07:34   #8412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Nightbreaker Unlimited, NB+ & NB Xenarc are halogens with little xenon gas filled in it and hence brighter than normal halogens. Unlimited being flagship of Nightbreakers & as you said will be premium on price. Need to check in ebay.

NBU is a model range just like their other models. They have filament bulbs as well as Xenon HIDs in their series.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:06   #8413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It has turned out to be a complete dud. First of all the alignment was off track and more importantly it has no throw or brightness. As against what is claimed on the box, 35+ meter throw, I must be getting some 10 or 15 mtrs. I went back to the accessory guy who sold it to me and he comes up with a new theory that the chrome inside my reflectors have worn off due to the excess heat generated from the higher wattage bulbs.
After getting used to the 130/100 bulbs, or even say 100/90, its obvious that any 60/55w bulb is of any match to it, irrespective of what the manufacturer claims. Just like how Cubic capacity is cubic capacity, wattage is wattage.

If you are concerned about reflector, then you can downgrade to 100/90w. Though it wont match the previous bulbs, it will be decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Any reviews on the GE 140/100 and Flosser 145/100? Those have me really interested .
Boss, they are best kept away from plastic headlamp assemblies. I feel they are better suited for the glass lens headlights than what we get today. I am sure that both the alternator as well as headlight assembly will take a toll prematurely.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:28   #8414
BANNED

Guys, Slight OT,

Seeing a few questions asked on this thread; what is the upper limit thar once can upgrade the headlamps to?

Is 130/100 the highest problem or any above?

Reason I am asking is 'Straight6' wants to try 145/100. I really am waiting to see the images after this upgrade by him if he decides to.

Anurag.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:34   #8415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reason I am asking is 'Straight6' wants to try 145/100. I really am waiting to see the images after this upgrade by him if he decides to.
Anurag.
And why?? I think its an overkill and would surely have significant damage to the characteristics of the Headlamp reflector giving in earlier than usual by fading.
100-90 is what we have seen many upgrade to without much issues of fading and we still do have few cases where owners have complained blackening of the reflector glass.

With 145/100 set-up, I am only wondering the after-effects!

May I ask you, what car is this for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks