Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 13:17   #8446
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I was not satisfied with the Headlights of my Ertiga. Instead of going for higher wattage I replaced them with 35W 6000k HID kit. I have not put the projector setup but just the replacement kit. It has been almost 2 months since I've done so and I'm pretty satisfied with the output. Even during the rains I didn't faced any problem. Will try to put up the pictures as looking at the result I was pretty happy and didn't bothered to click any. The kit can be installed without any cutting or slicing of the wires. The kit was bought from one of the websites and installation was 15 min job. Total cost 5000 for the kit and 300 for installation. The kit was with CANBUS, so no flickering or other issues.
Old 26th August 2014, 00:00   #8447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Was trying out 2 types of bulbs which were readily available in the market, for Yeti's fog/cornering lamp - H7. I was looking for Osram NB unlimited but was not easily available, so tried out the available ones meanwhile. Just sharing the results below...

H7 Bulbs - Philips Blue Vision Ultra 4000 K and Osram Cool Blue Intense (Hyper white edition) 5000 K
Attachment 1274505

Philips Blue Vision Ultra 4000 K
Attachment 1274506
Color - This one looks whiter than stock but still yellowish. Not a perfect match with the whiter OE xenons which are around 4,300K.
Light output - Much better light output compared to the other bulb. Not just marginally better but very noticeable improvement over 5000K bulbs.
Verdict - Scores on performance but not the perfect replacement for fogs to match OE Xenons.

Osram Cool Blue Intense (Hyper white edition) 5000 K
Attachment 1274507
Color - This one looks white. Not so bluish but a little more whiter than the xenons, so not a perfect match with the OE xenons which are around 4,300K.
Light output - Not happy with the output. You can barely make out that the fogs/cornering lamps are ON if the Xenons are ON. If it is on a rainy night, it is pretty useless.
Verdict - Scores in aesthetics but poor on performance.

There are some bulbs like Philips Crystal vision, Osram NB unlimited, etc. which are claiming color temperature in the range of Xenons (OE). But these were not readily available as mentioned above. Osram distributor even said that they don't have the NB unlimited in H7. I guess I will have to find an alternate source to get these bulbs. Will share the results once I get those bulbs. Thanks.
Got Osram Cool Blue Intense 4200K H7s for the fogs today. Seems to be the best match for the OE Xenon HID headlamps, compared to all other bulbs tried out till now.

Osram has 2 variations in the Cool Blue Intense model.
- Cool Blue Intense 4200K
- Cool Blue Intense Hyper White 5000K

Initially when I bought Osram CBI, I overlooked the "Hyper white 5000K" spec. on the box and ended up with the wrong color bulbs. Realized this later when I searched for a better alternative.
Old 26th August 2014, 14:26   #8448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
So, considering two upgrades at one time, one is which is a better suited bulb for my Accent, I prefer 5000k or white light, preferably for the headlight. Hella, Philips and Osram NB, any insights on this would be helpful
Would recommend you to stick to 4300K for the headlamps, beyond that it is useless in the rains and fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
If the 'P8 HID xenon' can be fitted to the stock harness in the rapid, that is the way to go for me.
As far as I know the answer would be NO. The HID bulbs come with seperate kit and ballast and you need not fiddle with the stock wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I was not satisfied with the Headlights of my Ertiga. Instead of going for higher wattage I replaced them with 35W 6000k HID kit. I have not put the projector setup but just the replacement kit. It has been almost 2 months since I've done so and I'm pretty satisfied with the output.
Using HID bulbs with a reflector setting is not recommended at all. You maybe satisfied with the output but you must realise that you might be causing inconvenience to others.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 15:47   #8449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
As far as I know the answer would be NO. The HID bulbs come with seperate kit and ballast and you need not fiddle with the stock wiring.

Using HID bulbs with a reflector setting is not recommended at all. You maybe satisfied with the output but you must realise that you might be causing inconvenience to others.
I have installed HID fog lights (3000K) in my Civic. I used the power line and installed the ballast and replaced the bulb. I did not add a loom. Working nicely for over a year.

I agree an HID in a reflector is not good. The filament in a Halogen is transverse, while the discharge zone in an HID is longitudinal (ie along the length), so the 'hot' zones will never match. Remember the Toyota Corolla has both HIDs and Halogens available in the Low Beams, but then the lamps and reflector patterns are different.
Old 28th August 2014, 16:04   #8450
BHPian

Re: Upgrading stock headlights - confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The stock ones are 35/35W or 60/55W?
I will be upgrading the bulbs to Philips in a few days (Stock rating).

Anurag.
Hi Guys

I know I am raking up an old topic, but would need some guidance

@Anurag - did you go ahead with the replacement? Could you share your take on this please? My Swift headlights are no longer proving adequate in a new route that I am taking now back from work to avoid traffic . It's a 'no light' area where it's absolutely pitch dark and there are a few bits of road in between the potholes.

As of now, am not decided between Osram NB/NB+ or Philips XtremeVision

Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 17:34   #8451
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
Hi Guys

I know I am raking up an old topic, but would need some guidance

@Anurag - did you go ahead with the replacement? Could you share your take on this please?
Hey,

Sorry as I didn't update the thread on this part. Check the below link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3408200

I really love the Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55W setup as compared with stock. I recommend to all who want a better lighting without wanting to upgrade the lighting.

Anurag.
Old 29th August 2014, 00:12   #8452
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the quick response Anurag. Will check in on a couple of places I know of this weekend to see if I can get it at a comparable price. If I can't will order on eBay and get it fitted.
Old 29th August 2014, 01:03   #8453
NKN
BHPian

Basis my experience, I would recommend OSRAM NB/NB+, compared to extreme vision. I find that the brightness and throw of NB is better in comparison. I have also experienced NB+ on my friends Swift during our drive from Bangalore to Calicut and found it even better
Old 29th August 2014, 01:54   #8454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
Thanks a ton for the quick response Anurag. Will check in on a couple of places I know of this weekend to see if I can get it at a comparable price. If I can't will order on eBay and get it fitted.
Search for Philips dealer in your city. You'll get it for a cheaper price than on Ebay and you can fit it yourself.

A simple DIY it is.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th August 2014 at 01:56.
Old 30th August 2014, 09:54   #8455
BHPian

Finally Upgraded my Safari's stock 60/55W-which were upgraded to Philips EV60/55W; with a 100/90W Philips Ralley recently with a Roots wiring Harness. This was done over a month ago, uploading the pics now.

Here are the pics of entire process (Well not all of it).

Decided to drill small holes to let the wires in, after marking the exact up & down position of the cover.
Drilled the hole, let the wires in. Drilled an additional hole to take the output for the controller that goes in to relay to switch Hi & low beams. I have not loaded the pics but sealed the holes with heavy fevicol to keep it air-tight.
Connected all required wiring. Have not uploaded the pics of connecting wiring harness.

Uploading the comparison pics directly. Last four. Both old & new, high & low beams with & without stock fog lamps turned on.

Any comments/suggestion to improve it or pointing out any error, are most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1-marked.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2-drilled.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3-sockets-inserted.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3-sockets-2.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-4-output-controller.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lo-beamno-fog.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-beam-fogs.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hi-beam-no-fog.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-beamwith-fog.jpg  

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 30th August 2014 at 10:05.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:13   #8456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Finally Upgraded my Safari's stock 60/55W-which were upgraded to Philips EV60/55W; with a 100/90W Philips Ralley recently with a Roots wiring Harness. This was done over a month ago, uploading the pics now.

Here are the pics of entire process (Well not all of it).

Decided to drill small holes to let the wires in, after marking the exact up & down position of the cover.
Drilled the hole, let the wires in. Drilled an additional hole to take the output for the controller that goes in to relay to switch Hi & low beams. I have not loaded the pics but sealed the holes with heavy fevicol to keep it air-tight.
Connected all required wiring. Have not uploaded the pics of connecting wiring harness.

Uploading the comparison pics directly. Last four. Both old & new, high & low beams with & without stock fog lamps turned on.

Any comments/suggestion to improve it or pointing out any error, are most welcome.
There was no need to drill back covers. Now the problem is water will seep in to headlights and will ruin it. Fevicol is solvent in water. There was another way which may take 30 mins more by taking out light but more efficient
mandyrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:50   #8457
Senior - BHPian

Finally went with the Rally 130/100 in the SX4 but will ask for the Flosser 145/100 if friends are coming down from the US.
Old 1st September 2014, 20:50   #8458
Distinguished - BHPian

Since now I could shoot pictures in manual mode with my phone, I shot a comparo of Osram NB in my WagonR and the Rallys on the SX4. Used the same exposure and ISO, ISO400 and 1/25s shutter speed. Here is this for those who want to know the difference:

First the low beam. On top is my SX4 and below WagonR.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lowb.jpg

Both lamps have good spread, and the center is bright. However, as we go towards the edges, the Rallys give a more consistent spread. Hence the NB is Good for the city commuters IMO

Coming to high beam:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-highb.jpg

This is why for lots of highway use, the Rallys make sense. In pitch dark conditions, the illumination is just fantastic. The NB on the other hand has a concentrated center patch with less spread.

And for the ones who debate on glare, the low beam is equally cut off in either cases, while the high beam points out in the same direction in either cars. Its just the spread that is different. When on High beam, either bulbs will be irritating to the eye. Hence, please take this post as an information source and I am not advocating the use of illegal bulbs. I use it since I need it badly.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 05:50   #8459
BHPian

Any lights I can find in the US to buy for my 2012 Rapid?

Or a kit for that matter.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:33   #8460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Any lights I can find in the US to buy for my 2012 Rapid?

Or a kit for that matter.
Watch out for the LHD / RHD issue.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks