Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2014, 20:48   #8506
BHPian

Thanks, is this latest coz in couple of European forums they mentioned H1 and H7. I will chek them out tomorrow morning. You know with a new Vw you need to be wary doing somethings thats why wanted expert opinion :-)
Old 11th October 2014, 22:22   #8507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Thanks, is this latest coz in couple of European forums they mentioned H1 and H7. I will chek them out tomorrow morning. You know with a new Vw you need to be wary doing somethings thats why wanted expert opinion :-)

Try to see the spare bulb box first. They usually have a bulb of each type being used in the car.

Rohan

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 11th October 2014, 22:40   #8508
Team-BHP Support

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

The facelift Polo doesn't come with spare bulbs IIRC. Never saw one when I had opened the boot and checked under the boot mat.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:30   #8509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But isn't it that tail lamp bulbs are mostly generic? Or is it that VW uses custom-made bulbs? Can you please post the picture of both bulbs; even the older failed ones would suffice for comparison.
I believe they are generic - this very helpful video even displays the bulb packs manufactured by Phillips. They are 5W (for rear fog lamp) and 21 W (for the indicators and brake lamps). Unfortunately no online retailer seems to be selling these in India and even Phillips India's own website only has one such product under the family of 'Blue Vision' which I doubt will be appropriate -- nonetheless the price mentioned is Rs 115 for two which is substantially cheaper than the price I was quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What was the fused bulb changed from the image below:

If it was no. 7, the fog or reverse lamp bulb, then Rs. 300 sounds about right. The others are cheap.
Thanks, Ganesh, as always your illustrations are very helpful. The fused bulb is the No. 4 (centre). Fortunately brake lights are working.

I will go out bulb shopping on Monday to see if I can find a compatible part and replace it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Need specs for Polo double barrel lamps is it H1+H7?
I understand VW provides a small kit with a spare fuse and a spare headlamp bulb (usually packed with the spare wheel). You can try opening it to check. [Edit -just saw Ganesh's comment on the lack of spares]

Last edited by Kumar R : 11th October 2014 at 23:32.
Old 19th October 2014, 00:50   #8510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Both seem to be H7 going by the link here - Volkswagen Workshop Manuals - Polo Mk5

Pop up your bonnet, remove the rubber protection caps and have a look yourself. Just to be sure before placing the order/purchasing.
Hi the new headlamp cluster is pretty tight unlike the earlier need some expertise to reach for rubber cabs and pry out the lamp.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:13   #8511
BHPian

Hi guys. Just wanted to know that the lights used in the luxury sedans or the upper segment cars like Superb, A4, 320d etc. are HIDs with projectors or its just halogens with the projector lenses ?
Old 20th October 2014, 15:19   #8512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Hi guys. Just wanted to know that the lights used in the luxury sedans or the upper segment cars like Superb, A4, 320d etc. are HIDs with projectors or its just halogens with the projector lenses ?
It depends on car. Some cars come with Xenons for low beam, some with bi-Xenon and some with projector Halogen.
You need to look at the website and brochure for details. Xenon is mentioned if the car has Xenon.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 15:24   #8513
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordriving View Post
Urgent help required:

My headlight relay's (Philips) fuse holder is getting heated up extensively, it has started to melt, fuse is fine, even headlights are working fine with 100/90 philips rally. What might be the issue? Will replacing only the fuse holder help?

Thanks.
May be your not using Ceramic holders.
Please contact Karnataka auto electricals WilsonGarden Bangalore.An expert guy, but too costly !.
Old 21st October 2014, 14:23   #8514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It depends on car. Some cars come with Xenons for low beam, some with bi-Xenon and some with projector Halogen.
You need to look at the website and brochure for details. Xenon is mentioned if the car has Xenon.
But isn't it illegal to use projectors for high beam as their extreme brightness is said to make the other drivers literally blind at night ?
Old 21st October 2014, 16:47   #8515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
But isn't it illegal to use projectors for high beam as their extreme brightness is said to make the other drivers literally blind at night ?
After market modification is illegal, however whatever is approved by ARAI is legal. And its not brightness, but the "aiming" which contributes to the problem.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:44   #8516

Hi folks : very happy Deepavali at the outset. Iam looking for some opinions on replacing my H7 - bulb, currently Hella 90/100 with a drop in replacement using LED. Did some light reading and seems lots of options available, however need some specific experience or suggestion of retrofit'ing. Mine is a Aria. Thanks for your help.
Old 24th October 2014, 04:09   #8517

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I have been scanning the headlights section for quite sometime and everybody has very similar queries. Which bulb / relay to use, how to wire etc. I believe that I have done some work on improving my cars’ headlights. I used to rally and as good headlights were an absolute necessity to go fast at night during the events. Also that my car’s headlights are very important to me so all my cars have the best headlights that I can fit in them. I am sharing my experiences with you. My request is that if you exactly follow everything written here – word by word and line – by – line, then your headlights will be very good. If you deviate, your headlights will not give you what you want from them. Needless to say, this communication is indicative of actual steps to be taken to ensure a delightful experience.
Behram Dhabhar

Sir, I've been following your posts since a long time and I must admit that these suggestions and valueless pieces of information have made me buy a Thar. You have got a big fan.

Regarding the above mentioned post, I am a total novice and do not even understand the basics regarding electrical related things, can you please suggest an electrician with this much understanding and patience in Delhi from where I can get this work done.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2014 at 18:04. Reason: Post edited. Please quote ONLY relevant portions of large posts.
Old 24th October 2014, 10:03   #8518
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After market modification is illegal, however whatever is approved by ARAI is legal. And its not brightness, but the "aiming" which contributes to the problem.
This is why I changed my fogs to HID in my Civic keeping the Low and High beams. Maybe NB+ or NB Ultra are kosher.
Old 24th October 2014, 11:21   #8519

I am planning a trip through the Konkan coast which will require some night driving in 2 lane roads as well. I need some suggestions for upgrading the headlight of my 2 year old XUV500? I am ok with the high beam but I find the low beam insufficient.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:01   #8520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
I am planning a trip through the Konkan coast which will require some night driving in 2 lane roads as well. I need some suggestions for upgrading the headlight of my 2 year old XUV500? I am ok with the high beam but I find the low beam insufficient.
Why don't you try with HID Kits. Even i find it difficulty to drive during the Nights with my XUV stock low beams. i am also planning to go for HID kits for low beam and OSRAM night Breakers Unlimited Halogens for High Beam. Planning to order from epitstop.in.

Most Viewed