Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 17:31   #8641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sunny, it says 30W
I am quite surprised. Cree 30W array is expensive. Is it really 30W? Can you check the current draw? That will give us a fair idea.
haha, its no way close to 30W. 5W maybe but not more than that.

Its mentioned in the specs inside that its a 10W LED, they mean to say it will provide 30W equivalent of halogen light.

There are even 125W motorcycle lights on ebay whose power draw is supposedly 15W, but in another image they say its 13.6W higher the number, more suspicious you get.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 1st December 2014 at 17:33.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:34   #8642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
haha, its no way close to 30W. 5W maybe but not more than that.

Its mentioned in the specs inside that its a 10W LED, they mean to say it will provide 30W equivalent of halogen light.

There are even 125W motorcycle lights on ebay higher the number, more suspicious you get.
Just as I suspected. They are using a Cree XML chip. It can be driven to 10W, but the light in your pic does not seem to have a heatsink good enough. Heatsinks and 10W drivers are costly.
I guess they are running 500mA
500mA at 14V is around 7W. 500mA drivers are very very common and very cheap (1$ if you talk about OEM cost, sometimes even lower for volume).

That said, I would rate such lights much better than round lights having 3W Epistar chip and a low quality reflector.

Even though they are 24W (8 LEDs), the range is not good, and they just illuminate near the vehicle.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:43   #8643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just as I suspected. They are using a Cree XML chip. It can be driven to 10W, but the light in your pic does not seem to have a heatsink good enough. Heatsinks and 10W drivers are costly.
I guess they are running 500mA
500mA at 14V is around 7W. 500mA drivers are very very common and very cheap (1$ if you talk about OEM cost, sometimes even lower for volume).

That said, I would rate such lights much better than round lights having 3W Epistar chip and a low quality reflector.
This is a pic of the insides, hope this helps in finding out whats really inaide. He did mention it has a Cree U2 LED inside?

The part about loight output is true though. The light really travels far, there is a building about half a kilometer away from where I was standing and this light was able to illuminate it although faintly. I couldn't capture it on camera though.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20141121wa0035.jpg
Old 1st December 2014, 17:51   #8644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a pic of the insides, hope this helps in finding out whats really inaide. He did mention it has a Cree U2 LED inside?
That looks like a U2(XML series)
Capable if 1000 lumens at 3000mA current at driving voltage(3.5V approx)
I think you can calculate luminous flux if you measure wattage.
At 6W it would be around 600 lumens max.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:55   #8645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That looks like a U2(XML series)
Capable if 1000 lumens at 3000mA current at driving voltage(3.5V approx)
I think you can calculate luminous flux if you measure wattage.
At 6W it would be around 600 lumens max.
I'll measure the current sometime this week and report back
Old 1st December 2014, 18:24   #8646
Senior - BHPian

Sunnyboi , I have something similar , running 10 watts ( around 950 lumen) on either side .

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20140518_105726.jpg
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:47   #8647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

Have not ordered from that site. From what I have seen so far, some sites don't provide you the tracking details at the time of shipment but updates you with the tracking details later. If not, you could always mail them asking for tracking details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, there was no tracking number. I contacted their support and they assured me I will get the package.
The package arrived in 10 days by indiapost. That's faster than some local shipments. It was packed in a bubble-wrap-lined paper envelope. The plastic box was smashed, presumably by some heavy fellow shipment, but the bulbs were unhurt.

Installed it in my car and they worked fine. Initial impression with the bulbs is great. Much better than the night breaker unlimited that I was using. Detailed review later.
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:44   #8648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This id the spot light which I've bought :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201158612638
...Link for Spread LED : http://www.ebay.com/itm/191172687983
Thanks for the links.
The second one has a heat sink behind. So, do these assemblies get very hot?

Secondly what precautions are needed to protect these units from dust getting into heat-sinks and water getting into the assembly?
Old 4th December 2014, 21:52   #8649
BHPian

I have a 5000k HID projector setup. It seems the road visibility is a bit of a problem.
Now my question is, will exchanging just the 5000k bulb for a new 4300k bulb give a substantial increase in road visibility ?
Also, where can i procure just the new 4300k bulb (without the ballast and wiring etc) ?
Old 4th December 2014, 23:00   #8650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks for the links.
The second one has a heat sink behind. So, do these assemblies get very hot?

Secondly what precautions are needed to protect these units from dust getting into heat-sinks and water getting into the assembly?
I ran the spot lamp which is on the bike for 5 minutes and the casing did get very warm. shouldn't be an issue on a moving vehicle I believe.

The second one, with the heatsink, I could not figure how to open it and I haven't dunked it in water to test it either.

On the spot lamp, I could completely dissassemble it. It did have rubber seals for waterproofing, I added dollops of fevibond around these rubber seals as well as threads to make sure they're air ans waterproof.
Old 5th December 2014, 00:42   #8651
BHPian

I want to change the 60/55 set up in the fiesta Classic to 100/90. Few friends suggested me to get only the high beam(H3) bulbs replaced to 100w.
Given that the classic has different lamps for low & high beams, what would you people suggest? I changed to 100/90w set up in my liva & it cost me 1500 including relay, wiring & ceramic holders.
Any idea about the classic?
Old 5th December 2014, 07:40   #8652
Senior - BHPian

Both the front park light bulbs of my Swift have stopped working in quick succession.

Since I need to replace the pair, I was wondering if there are any alternate options like LED bulb for park light available and how reliable they are. Has anyone tried Philips Ultinon LED for the park light? What is the price range and how is the experience with it?

Also, any idea about the legal aspect of it?

Last edited by zenren : 5th December 2014 at 07:46.
Old 5th December 2014, 07:46   #8653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
I have a 5000k HID projector setup. It seems the road visibility is a bit of a problem.
Now my question is, will exchanging just the 5000k bulb for a new 4300k bulb give a substantial increase in road visibility ?
Also, where can i procure just the new 4300k bulb (without the ballast and wiring etc) ?
It's a known fact that best visibility would be provided around 4300K color temp. and that is the sole reason why OEM HID bulbs are in that range. It will definitely improve your visibility as compared to 5000K especially on wet roads and rainy nights. You need to change only the bulb, but while you go for lower color temp. bulb, make sure you keep other specs same. Go for the same wattage bulb as that of your ballast. Usually the connectors are same but do check that also for compatibility before you get the bulbs. You can check with local vendors or online for variety of bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I want to change the 60/55 set up in the fiesta Classic to 100/90. Few friends suggested me to get only the high beam(H3) bulbs replaced to 100w.
Given that the classic has different lamps for low & high beams, what would you people suggest? I changed to 100/90w set up in my liva & it cost me 1500 including relay, wiring & ceramic holders.
I drive on low beams. High beams are for flashing or occasional use on highways where you don't have other motorists (which is very rare on our crowded roads). I cannot understand the use of upgrading only high beams. It should be the other way around right? If you upgrade your low beams, you can have improved lighting without dazzling oncoming traffic. So IMO, whether you upgrade your high beam bulbs or not, do upgrade your low beams for that is what you are going to be using most of the time, unless you drive on high beams.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 5th December 2014 at 07:53.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 08:18   #8654
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta Classic has H7 for Low beam and H1 for High beam, but you cannot get 100/90 for this setup because of the unavailability of ceramic holders. Best option would be to get the Osram NB+ which is costing about 4K+ for H1 & H7 bulb set. You can consider good set of HIDs too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Old 5th December 2014, 10:55   #8655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I was wondering if there are any alternate options like LED bulb for park light available and how reliable they are. Has anyone tried Philips Ultinon LED for the park light? What is the price range and how is the experience with it?

Also, any idea about the legal aspect of it?
I'm having LED Parking bulbs in my Civic for past 2+ years. One of the bulb conked off after 1.5 years. I changed both the LED's, as there was a slight colour difference between old & new LED.
Till now no issues with LED's.
While fixing LED's make sure the polarity is correct, else the light may not glow.
I paid around 300rs for these LED bulbs.
Philips LED parking bulbs price when I last enquired was around 700-1000rs
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed