Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 17:47   #8671
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I am also scouting for an answer to the same query. though, I have been quoted Rs 1200 per pair for XV. No bargaining etc. But do let me know if the Rs 650 you have mentioned is for a single bulb or a pair. Might help in bargaining.
The rates are from the Philips website.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:01   #8672
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Gentlemen, I'd like some help in upgrading the headlight bulbs on my Polo TSI. it is the facelift model, so it has the dual barrel headlight.
The options:
Osram NB Unlimited (Reviews state it isn't durable)
Philips Diamond Vision 950lm RS1350
Philips CrystalVision 1100lm RS.1200
Philips X-tremeVision 1650lm RS.650

The XV are the cheapest of the lot and have the highest lumen rating. Why are the other ones significantly more expensive, it is because of the pseudo HID look (Higher K)?

Should I choose the same bulb for both the low and high beam or should it be a different combination.
I do not care about the bling factor, and if the yellow ones perform better then I'd choose those in a heartbeat.
Would there be any use in upgrading the fog light bulb as well?
At this point in time I do not do any significant night driving, but I'd still like to be prepared with the best bulbs.
PS.As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Diamond Vision sure looks tempting.

Not interested in options that would void the warranty ie.100/110w

EDIT: Powerbulbs state the headlights being H7, I guess the pricing would be a bit different.
BUMP.
Would appreciate a reply.
Old 19th December 2014, 10:26   #8673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am also scouting for an answer to the same query. though, I have been quoted Rs 1200 per pair for XV. No bargaining etc. But do let me know if the Rs 650 you have mentioned is for a single bulb or a pair. Might help in bargaining.
XV price quoted is for a single bulb. A pair would be Rs 1300 I suppose.

Quote:
Should I choose the same bulb for both the low and high beam or should it be a different combination.
Please consult your user manual on the type of bulb needed for high and low beams since they use different bulbs. Usual convention is to have H7 bulbs for low beam and H1 bulbs for high beam, however there are too many exceptions in the Indian market. H7 and H1 have different bases and aren't interchangeable.
Quote:
I do not care about the bling factor, and if the yellow ones perform better then I'd choose those in a heartbeat.
If you do not care about bling then buy the Philips XtremeVision. Going by specs, it has the most light output and it will be the most useful on the road.

If you find fog lamps useful on your car, i.e., having them on improves the visibility then go ahead with an upgrade.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:30   #8674
BANNED

Quote:
I am also scouting for an answer to the same query.
After some research this is what I've found out.

1. XV and NB~ are 55w bulbs that give output of 100w bulbs. real world 40-50% better. They're yellow like stock.

2.Crystal/Diamond : They're HID like white, but they give output of a 55w bulb. Should not give a drastic improvement over the stock ones apart from the bling factor.

I might do this:
Low beam: Diamond High Beam: XV/stock Fog lights : XV
I'm not doing any night time driving and so the white would look good. On empty stretches with no vehicle in front/side the high beam would be pretty bright.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:40   #8675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
XV price quoted is for a single bulb. A pair would be Rs 1300 I suppose.
Thanks for the clarification. So, the price of 1200 per pair which I have been quoted is good.

Quote:
Please consult your user manual on the type of bulb needed for high and low beams since they use different bulbs. Usual convention is to have H7 bulbs for low beam and H1 bulbs for high beam, however there are too many exceptions in the Indian market. H7 and H1 have different bases and aren't interchangeable.
The Polo FL has both high and low beams as H7 bulbs, if i am not wrong

Quote:
If you do not care about bling then buy the Philips XtremeVision. Going by specs, it has the most light output and it will be the most useful on the road.
Also, considering the fog we encounter in the north, Diamond Vision and Crystal Vision will hinder visibility rather than enhance it. I hope no such problems with XV though.
Old 19th December 2014, 23:33   #8676
BHPian

Quote:
After some research this is what I've found out.

I might do this:
Low beam: Diamond High Beam: XV/stock Fog lights : XV
I'm not doing any night time driving and so the white would look good. On empty stretches with no vehicle in front/side the high beam would be pretty bright.
Makes sense. The Diamond's are horrible for high beam. And the output isn't that HID'ish but satisfying. And the XV are good for high's. Rather let the fogs stay stock I would say.
Old 20th December 2014, 00:16   #8677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Makes sense. The Diamond's are horrible for high beam. And the output isn't that HID'ish but satisfying. And the XV are good for high's. Rather let the fogs stay stock I would say.
Only us car nuts obsess about bulbs.
I feel even though I might like the white light, I'll be disappointed when on the road with poor visibility.

The stock bulbs don't make idiots flinch. Aux lights are out of the question due to additional coding/wiring.

Low:XV High:Stock/XV Fog:XV/Stock/DV

This should make for one luminous set up. I was thinking about putting the DV in the fogs, that should make for a good pseudo DRL set up, but I'm concerned about the different temperatures conflicting at night.
The polo has good fog lights that don't blind the oncoming traffic, unlike maruti's offerings.
Pricing is also of some concern, 1200 for a pair and 3 pairs would turn out to be mighty expensive. The XV are confirmed for the low beam.
Considering the price I might keep the others at stock, unless the XV's make a big difference in the fogs, I won't bother with them.
Are the fogs (H8) 55w?
Old 20th December 2014, 06:40   #8678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are the fogs (H8) 55w?
I think fogs are 35W.

Last edited by zenren : 20th December 2014 at 06:43.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 08:06   #8679
BHPian

Greetings to all.

I am looking to change the fog light bulbs for my 2009 SX4. Current bulbs are pretty much non-existent. SX4 fog bulbs are H8 rated at 35W. If I go in for a higher rated 55W bulb, I'll simply end up damaging the holder, right? Philips H8 35W are very hard to procure. Please help me out if anyone knows a good store in Pune from where I can get them. Any other brand I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th December 2014, 08:50   #8680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Greetings to all.

I am looking to change the fog light bulbs for my 2009 SX4. Current bulbs are pretty much non-existent. SX4 fog bulbs are H8 rated at 35W. If I go in for a higher rated 55W bulb, I'll simply end up damaging the holder, right? Philips H8 35W are very hard to procure. Please help me out if anyone knows a good store in Pune from where I can get them. Any other brand I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
You can check out the philips website for the dealers. Call the ones near you one by one and then you might have some luck.
Why not just change the headlight bulbs to XV?
Old 20th December 2014, 08:57   #8681
BHPian

Quote:
You can check out the philips website for the dealers. Call the ones near you one by one and then you might have some luck.
Why not just change the headlight bulbs to XV?
I already have Philips Xtreme Vision (H4) bulbs for the headlights. They are quite an improvement over the stock ones. I know the fog lights are not gonna help much even if I switch bulbs, but I am thinking I can go in for white light, 5000K or so just for the aesthetics part.
Old 20th December 2014, 20:03   #8682
BANNED

Quote:
I already have Philips Xtreme Vision (H4) bulbs for the headlights. They are quite an improvement over the stock ones. I know the fog lights are not gonna help much even if I switch bulbs, but I am thinking I can go in for white light, 5000K or so just for the aesthetics part.
In that case, look for Diamond or Crystal Vision.
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_odkw=...ilips&_sacat=0
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Philips-Cryst...item2a417493c5
Old 21st December 2014, 11:42   #8683
BHPian

Quote:

These are 55W rated bulbs. Shouldn't I be looking for 35W ones? And these are quite expensive!
Old 21st December 2014, 12:33   #8684
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, I'd like some help in upgrading the headlight bulbs on my Polo TSI. it is the facelift model, so it has the dual barrel headlight.
The options:

The XV are the cheapest of the lot and have the highest lumen rating. Why are the other ones significantly more expensive, it is because of the pseudo HID look (Higher K)?

At this point in time I do not do any significant night driving, but I'd still like to be prepared with the best bulbs.
PS.As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Diamond Vision sure looks tempting.

Not interested in options that would void the warranty ie.100/110w

EDIT: Powerbulbs state the headlights being H7, I guess the pricing would be a bit different.
Hi, I too need to upgrade my Polo TDI '14 facelift HL's. could you help with the config of bulbs used. I believe both are H7's, the technicians at VW were tight about bulb config.

Also through your other posts I could gather the dilemma on 6K vs 4K light output. From my experience of driving through multiple terrain ans visibility, 6k are good for city driving in non-fog, non-rain weather. 4k range is what i find highly versatile, be it fog, rain or kutccha roads.
Old 21st December 2014, 13:43   #8685
BANNED

Quote:
These are 55W rated bulbs. Shouldn't I be looking for 35W ones? And these are quite expensive!
My bad, I just searched for the H8/H11 holder type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Hi, I too need to upgrade my Polo TDI '14 facelift HL's. could you help with the config of bulbs used. I believe both are H7's, the technicians at VW were tight about bulb config.

Also through your other posts I could gather the dilemma on 6K vs 4K light output. From my experience of driving through multiple terrain ans visibility, 6k are good for city driving in non-fog, non-rain weather. 4k range is what i find highly versatile, be it fog, rain or kutccha roads.
Powerbulbs state the HB and LB as H7 and the fogs as H8.

The XV's are 3350k and offer 1500 Lumens.
Surprisingly, the WHITE VISION is 4100k and also offers 1500 lumens.

The XV and WV offer 1500 lumens but the XV are advertised as 100% brighter and the WV as 40% brighter. What sorcery is this, if they're the same lumen then I'd happily go for the WV

Which ones are you going for?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1.png  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-untitled.png  

Most Viewed